Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Little brat needs to dress more appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The king engine needs more punchy bass.
Like a muffled steam train going through a tunnel is what im thinking.

Like a fuckin fleet of B29 superfortresses.

Yeah, I felt like it needed some kind of mechanical effect to it to make it sound less like a heart beat. As it is, it makes the whole thing a lot more obvious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I dunno, I think it makes it seem more like his blood is pumping in anger, which is pretty fitting. I feel this is one of those things where it's only a spoiler if you already know the twist.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Literally had to pause to laugh out loud during that scene.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And this one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe we got a sneak peek of the Mob Psycho 100 anime.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The only thing I'm not super good on with the King Engine is that it really isn't obvious that it's an actual audible sound that people around him can hear. You only ever hear it in scenes where it's real close up to King's face, which could give the impression of an internal thought/sound thing going on.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Genocyber posted:

I dunno, I think it makes it seem more like his blood is pumping in anger, which is pretty fitting. I feel this is one of those things where it's only a spoiler if you already know the twist.

I've got a friend who hasn't read any form of the manga, whom I finally managed to badger into watching the anime, so when he gets around to watching this episode I'll see what he thinks it means.

Prison Warden posted:

The only thing I'm not super good on with the King Engine is that it really isn't obvious that it's an actual audible sound that people around him can hear. You only ever hear it in scenes where it's real close up to King's face, which could give the impression of an internal thought/sound thing going on.

This was my other real issue with it, yeah. Especially with it sounding so much more like an obvious heart beat, I think it'd be hard to assume anyone else was even supposed to hear it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I bet someone somewhere watched this episode and started grumbling about the studio shaving corners.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I bet someone somewhere watched this episode and started grumbling about the studio shaving corners.

I'll shave their heads off their necks.

I am Anime Defender, a monster with the Disaster Rating of Dragon. I loved anime so much that I engaged in flame wars all over the Internet, and woke to find myself unstoppable.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Genocyber posted:

I basically thought that people interpreted it as a 2nd gear type of thing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always interpreted the King Engine as some sort of rumbling BGM that signified whenever King was gonna get serious.

Of course, making that sound like the real King Engine (King's heart pounding) would have been hella difficult.

I get why they chose to make it like that but I wish they had found a better way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's literally always been his heartbeat tho

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

muike posted:

it's literally always been his heartbeat tho

Yeah, I know that, but the way that people reacted to it in-universe had me hoping that it was some goddamn loud and powerful heartbeats.

More BA BAM than thump thump.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I literally wanted it to sound like a truck engine revving up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'll shave their heads off their necks.

I am Anime Defender, a monster with the Disaster Rating of Dragon. I loved anime so much that I engaged in flame wars all over the Internet, and woke to find myself unstoppable.

Please keep ONE version spoilers out of this thread tia

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The king engine was fine, nobody comments on it until the arc with the monster bird and I assume the loudness will become more evident then to the point where it lives up to our expectations.

You know, in season 2.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Jazu posted:

I sure can't fault King's voice, but they didn't match Murata's facial expression. He really gave King the perfect level of "concerned". I also feel like the KING ENGINE joke doesn't work quite as well with actual audio.

(murata spoilers... wait this is the manga thread isn't it) You didn't know it was his heart in the manga until they explained it, did they? I think the connection between heart pounding and fear isn't that hard to see. Maybe they could have included a little bit of blood rushing inner ear type noise? I don't know.

The beginning was a great addition tho.

This is how I always imagined the King Engine to sound. I don't think the anime's version really does it for me.

Absolutely love his voice though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Look at all them little Tatsumakis

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

This is how I always imagined the King Engine to sound. I don't think the anime's version really does it for me.

Absolutely love his voice though.

Ditto me. I'd believe it if you told me that that noise was someone's heart pounding super loving intensely and it does sound like a rumbling engine! The anime makes the heartbeat sound really obvious and I'm not too hot on that.

Edit:

Mordaedil posted:

The king engine was fine, nobody comments on it until the arc with the monster bird and I assume the loudness will become more evident then to the point where it lives up to our expectations.

You know, in season 2.

No one needs to til after Boros because everyone who can hear it's either familiar with it already (read: everyone who's not Saitama) or just doesn't give a poo poo (read: Saitama). :v:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

In my head I always just heard it as a literal engine roar :v:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I've always thought of it as a PSP wiirrring. With a heart beat that loud he might need to see a doctor. :ohdear:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I never thought the King Engine was anything other than a heartbeat and literally 100% of the reveal was that it was actually raw terror instead of barely suppressed rage and power. So I have no idea what the problem here is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Killer robot posted:

I never thought the King Engine was anything other than a heartbeat and literally 100% of the reveal was that it was actually raw terror instead of barely suppressed rage and power. So I have no idea what the problem here is.

All of the SFX for the King Engine in the Viz release is translated as a distinct "RMBL RMBL", which sounds less like the "ba-bump" of a heartbeat and more like an actual engine to me, but it's all up to interpretation really.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Killer robot posted:

The problem is that other people had different interpretations and that it is okay for them to do so.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

All of the SFX for the King Engine in the Viz release is translated as a distinct "RMBL RMBL", which sounds less like the "ba-bump" of a heartbeat and more like an actual engine to me, but it's all up to interpretation really.

That's on Viz, I guess, because in the original japanese it is just "GoGoGoGo" over and over, which is used as the onomatopoeia in Japanese for something menacing, regular heart beating and rumbling, so it isn't like they were wrong, but clearly the anime people conferred with ONE on how it should sound like and that is what we got.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've always read the King Engine in my head as a sort of deep, resonant doon-DOON sound.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they call it an engine people and describe it as "roaring"

its fairly obvious its not a steady rhythmic thing

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Doon-DOON doon-DOON doon-DOON doon-DOON
Doon-DOON doon-DOON doon-DOON doon-DOON

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I took the roaring to mean that they've noticed it's much quicker than usual, because it's almost always present when he's there but slow.

It should be more bassy though.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
In the style of Lupin the Third, King is just the great grandson of Harry Paget Flashman.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Maybe the translation is bad or something but King himself describes it as other people hearing his heartbeat

It's possible that once he's in more actively dire situations it'll get louder.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Maybe the translation is bad or something but King himself describes it as other people hearing his heartbeat

It's possible that once he's in more actively dire situations it'll get louder.

Also the katakana surrounding him reads DO DO DO DO DO DO.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's different in this shot:

Which one was using in the meeting room?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

In the last and second to last panels the King Engine sounds like GO GO GO GO GO GO

While there it goes DOTSU DOTSU DOTSU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

That more a heartbeat of excitement than fear - he gets to play video games... yay!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

That more a heartbeat of excitement than fear - he gets to play video games... yay!

The King Engine truly is roaring here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It obviously sounds different in a closed room compared to an open environment
:eng101: