Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
All your opinions are wrong, the best chocolate bar is the Turkish Delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This but unironically.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Who had the article about Dick Smith and the previous owners?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

This is exactly what it is, because the US ramped up shale oil production, and kept the price low, in order to blow up the oil export-dependent Russian economy, in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Wouldn't the Russia-China oil pipeline offset this? And once the gas pipeline is up, I don't think Russia will be too worried.

edit: snickers and double dipped cherryripes ftw.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Deep fried mars bars.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

TheIllestVillain posted:

fruit does not belong in chocolate

In every other context I agree with you completely.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheIllestVillain posted:

fruit does not belong in chocolate

chocolate coated cranberries say you're wrong

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Ket posted:

Who had the article about Dick Smith and the previous owners?

This one?

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Twirl is the best bar. Take the best bit of a bar - chocolate, and vary the texture. Genius.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're insane. You can get better turkish delight from most kebab shops.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Thanks buddy, I tried searching my history for Dick Smith but nothing helpful turned up

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Tony Abbot buys lovely old fridge from Scumtree

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-buys-a-fridge-on-gumtree-20151207-glhpge.html

Silly Tony, you don't need to chill onions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This is weird. I stopped giving a gently caress about Howard when he got voted out, but I still want to punch Abbott.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think maybe Howard was just a detestable man with regards to his horrible policies, whereas Abbott strikes one as a completely poo poo human being on almost every level, down to the most fundamental ways in which he interacted with other people. A swaggering, bullying, dick-swinging psychopath.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The best chocolate bar is Twix. It is the only one you will never get sick of, ever.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Starshark posted:

This is weird. I stopped giving a gently caress about Howard when he got voted out, but I still want to punch Abbott.

When Howard drops dead I'm going to stop whatever I'm doing and go drink beers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Howard was evil but clearly very intelligent, it got some respect. Abbott is evil and clearly very very dumb. Way back in 2008 i asked some friends of mine who you'd prefer as leader - John Howard or GWB and universally it was agreed that Evil but Smart is infinitely better than evil and dumb.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What kind of ex PM buys a second hand fridge???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

The worst PM of all time.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

SynthOrange posted:

The worst PM of all time.

I can just hear all the historians at my Uni saying poo poo like "ACTUALLY THE WORST PM WAS NIGEL GRINCHGIBBONS, ABBOTT IS ONLY THE SECOND WORST". But really. It's Abbott.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

One still sitting on a massive mortgage maybe.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lid posted:

Howard was evil but clearly very intelligent, it got some respect. Abbott is evil and clearly very very dumb. Way back in 2008 i asked some friends of mine who you'd prefer as leader - John Howard or GWB and universally it was agreed that Evil but Smart is infinitely better than evil and dumb.

I dunno, at least evil and dumb trips itself up, whereas Evil and Smart manages to convince Australia that it's a sexy silver-haired fox in a leather jacket that's so much cooler and more liberal than the rest of its awful party and now Australia stands on the brink of 20 years of neoliberal rule

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Evil and dumb gives us Iraq

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Evil and dumb gives us Iraq

Tony Blair isn't considered dumb and he still sold Britain on Iraq. There was obviously a lot going on there and the invasion was only a matter of time.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I don't like Howard but he came across as caring about something, it might have been his idea of what Australia should be, or his legacy or something as trivial as what people thought about him. But this was the key difference between him and Abbott. Abbott didn't give a gently caress about the outcomes of any of his policies

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Howard had successful uncle voice that hypnotized us all.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Put it this way: imagine Abbott's response to the Port Arthur massacre

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Anidav posted:

Dude's got a big mortgage to pay off. Can't buy new whitegoods even if they are interest free for 24 months.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I don't like Howard but he came across as caring about something, it might have been his idea of what Australia should be, or his legacy or something as trivial as what people thought about him. But this was the key difference between him and Abbott. Abbott didn't give a gently caress about the outcomes of any of his policies

He had a vision for the country. It might have been a lovely neo liberal one, but at least it was there. Abbott just lurched from brain fart to brain fart without any coherent plan for the future.

I never thought I'd see the day where I almost looked back on the Howard years fondly, but I guess someone like Abbott will do that.

Speaking of lovely leaders, has there been any update on Shorten's job security? Will the ALP dump him before the election or send him down with his sinking ship?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
crunchies are the most Auspol of chocolate bars

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

One still sitting on a massive mortgage maybe.

The correct answer. The mans inability to manage a household budget is well known, hence the irony of being elected to manage a country using analogies to compare the countries budget to that of a household budget.

Starshark posted:

Tony Blair isn't considered dumb and he still sold Britain on Iraq. There was obviously a lot going on there and the invasion was only a matter of time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Say what you will about hitler, but he had a vision for Germany - this thread

gently caress you if you still don't want to punch John Howard

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

poo poo fart booger, at least it's an ethos.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Unless you're allergic to nuance it's pretty easy to simultaneously think Howard was human garbage and acknowledge that Abbott was worse (or at least would have been had he not been destroyed by his own incompetence)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Unless you're allergic to nuance it's pretty easy to simultaneously think Howard was human garbage and acknowledge that Abbott was worse (or at least would have been had he not been destroyed by his own incompetence)

Yes. His incompetence is exactly why I prefer Abbott to Howard because it got in the way of him implementing much of what he wanted.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I can't really agree because had he had a couple of extra senate seats we'd all be completely hosed following his government's first budget but guess this is all moot because that didn't happen and Turnbull will probably do the same thing anyway

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I can't really agree because had he had a couple of extra senate seats we'd all be completely hosed following his government's first budget but guess this is all moot because that didn't happen and Turnbull will probably do the same thing anyway

The first chance Howard got he loving burnt down the entire structure of industrial relations in this country.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Amethyst posted:

You're insane. You can get better turkish delight from most kebab shops.

Yeah, but we're comparing chocolate bars, not all confectionery. I'll agree with you on your reasoning for Twirl, but I prefer Flake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first chance Howard got he loving burnt down the entire structure of industrial relations in this country.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I don't have much interest in defending Howard or the conservative purgatory that infected every western nation in the early 00's so :shrug:

• Locked thread