Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like flash so that I have a button to press while waiting for pacification to wear off following berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just rarely am ever in a position that second wind will help because I'll usually have TotB or equilibrium ready to go if I need a quick instant heal and flash has more usefulness in most content. I could definitely dump flash if I was tanking savage, but any place with trash mobs flash is more useful.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

But if you really hate playing GLD awareness isn't really that important so don't worry about it too much. Get provoke done as soon as possible though.

Awareness is probably the second best Warrior cross-class ability tbh, but it's only important if you're tanking something that hits hard in Deliverance. Awareness estabilishes a damage ceiling, which prevents you from randomly getting gibbed while pushing damage against things like Thordan or A3S, which follow up a tankbuster with an autoattack.

If you only OT, and you're not doing hard content, you don't really need Awareness. But you'll be glad you have it every time you take that calculated risk.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think Convalescence is the second best WAR cross class actually. It's half of Defiance by itself.

Awareness is definitely up there though, especially since it's hard to position mobs in big pulls to parry them all with Raw Intuition (and A2S to some extent).

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Awareness is very important to have if you can't control your character and then press Raw Intuition and blunder around and get crit by tank busters.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Awareness is very important to have if you can't control your character and then press Raw Intuition and blunder around and get crit by tank busters.

Also nice for times when you don't really want the bosses auto attack critting you ever when they do that ability + auto in the same second.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
But does it prevent cross classed Physicks from criting?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm surprised that 7 warrior Thordan surprises anyone who has cleared it. Being a warrior OT in that fight is fantastic because nothing can really kill you, so extending that your entire dps core who can sustain tp on a single target and do decent dps is an obvious victory.

Then again on the OF who knows if the posters have even attempted it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

nuru posted:

I'm surprised that 7 warrior Thordan surprises anyone who has cleared it. Being a warrior OT in that fight is fantastic because nothing can really kill you, so extending that your entire dps core who can sustain tp on a single target and do decent dps is an obvious victory.

Then again on the OF who knows if the posters have even attempted it.

I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

What you did was really disgusting you had no right to compromise the artistic direction and ideals the games creators put forth in their works and this is probably the most disgusting display of censorship I have ever seen. Your job was to translate the game not insert your own ideals/agenda into the game's story. What I want you to understand is that this is not ok, what you did was wrong. You perverted someone else's creative works with your own agenda and that's just terrible. If this is the way things are done in the localization team. Im going to think long and hard about renewing my sub in the future and others should think on it too cause this was just a poor decision to make and should not be made in the future. bad form!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Same.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

My god, I am *dying* for some context.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My god, I am *dying* for some context.

A thread in which the EN lead apologized for not talking to the Japanese developers before making Haurchefant less of a perv.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Technogeek posted:

A thread in which the EN lead apologized for not talking to the Japanese developers before making Haurchefant less of a perv.

Called it. It's kind of funny seeing people complain about a male NPC not hitting on them, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

vOv posted:

Called it. It's kind of funny seeing people complain about a male NPC not hitting on them, though.

With the FFVII remake being worked on, I cannot await for when we have to find a wig, clothes and accessories to enact Hildebrand's next 'take the place of the target' plan.

I better be worth at least a billion gil Gegejuru!

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

quote:

no right to compromise the artistic direction

I don't know who the character is in reference, as I've barely scratched the surface of the game - but I catch the drift.

This is way too loving funny. I can't help but roll my eyes at people exclaiming "YOU LOST MY SUB" over whatever bullshit agenda having to do with game design they want to push. I think the only people who give a poo poo are socially unaware aspies that need to focus their attention at enjoying games for what they are instead of criticizing them for not being the pinnacle of storytelling.

Final Fantasy XIV, so far as I can tell, isn't the "Herzog" of MMO storytelling. No Final Fantasy is, for that matter.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Runefaust posted:

I don't know who the character is in reference, as I've barely scratched the surface of the game - but I catch the drift.

This is way too loving funny. I can't help but roll my eyes at people exclaiming "YOU LOST MY SUB" over whatever bullshit agenda having to do with game design they want to push. I think the only people who give a poo poo are socially unaware aspies that need to focus their attention at enjoying games for what they are instead of criticizing them for not being the pinnacle of storytelling.

Final Fantasy XIV, so far as I can tell, isn't the "Herzog" of MMO storytelling. No Final Fantasy is, for that matter.

People think video game subs are the same as business subscriptions to hosting or cell phone provider etc etc. Sorry charlie but unlike a hosting company a video game company is not going to bend over backwards to please JUST YOU.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

People think video game subs are the same as business subscriptions to hosting or cell phone provider etc etc. Sorry charlie but unlike a hosting company a video game company is not going to bend over backwards to please JUST YOU.

Imagine if every company that provided a product listened to every consumer threat ever.

Now imagine if Lowtax listened to every idiot that demanded their money back after being banned.

I do not want to live in a world where that happens.

FFXIV related content: While I stand by my statement of the Dual Shock controller being awesome, I currently don't have a keyboard to communicate to people with. Keyboard + Dual Shock works fine for this, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thordan Extreme is a good, fun fight, and I hope to see this level of quality in encounter design in the future.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Runefaust posted:

FFXIV related content: While I stand by my statement of the Dual Shock controller being awesome, I currently don't have a keyboard to communicate to people with. Keyboard + Dual Shock works fine for this, right?

Absolutely. You can have it on direct input, or you can have it like standard PC controls where it's Enter to chat or shortcut keys/movement/etc otherwise.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Absolutely. You can have it on direct input, or you can have it like standard PC controls where it's Enter to chat or shortcut keys/movement/etc otherwise.

Anyone have any recommendations for Keyboards for PS4? Getting a standard USB corded keyboard to go along with the PS4 sounds kind of odd while using an untethered Dual Shock controller.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Thordan Extreme is a good, fun fight, and I hope to see this level of quality in encounter design in the future.

I enjoy it as all roles. I hope it's a sign for the next Alex Savage wing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Technogeek posted:

A shame, because the Haurchefant we got was a better character and the Heavensward narrative would have been a lot weaker with a caricature of what the Japanese think gay people are like. :shrug:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

A shame, because the Haurchefant we got was a better character and the Heavensward narrative would have been a lot weaker with a caricature of what the Japanese think gay people are like. :shrug:

Is he really a caricature of gay people if he blatantly hits on female PCs too?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's WOLosexual.

But yeah, straight translating him would have been awful. The localization team made the right choice.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Source your quotes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Haurchefant is blatantly into the PC regardless of race or gender. AFAIK we only got a subtler tone of him than the Japanese did.

It was a valid and good call made to do that since he avoided the other japanese caricature of 'a person who is really into the first person and makes it really obvious but the first person doesn't overtly get it for forever' which is entirely too prevalent.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You guys don't understand, that was the Citizen Kain of pansexual elf NPCs and those translating monsters ruined it.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Whizbang posted:

You guys don't understand, that was the Citizen Kain of pansexual elf NPCs and those translating monsters ruined it.

Final Fantasy XIV: I have some Heavens-words for your shoddy translation team

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3u2wp9/quick_summary_translation_of_the_famitsu/

quote:

Thordan extreme is a battle with the difficulty in between Alexander savage and normal mode, however Thordan extreme was set to a special difficulty so players have goals in 3.1 and they plan to not make the next extreme primal as difficult as Thordan extreme.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Well, quality and difficulty aren't the same thing - Heavensward's best fights and Heavensward's most difficult fights don't really intersect that much outside of Thordan.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
It's just really depressing to me that what feels like the right sweet spot for a extreme primal fight is intentionally one time only. Difficulty is a part of why Thordan is good, I don't see why they think this doesn't have a place in their normal content lineup.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the thing I like most about Thordan is that there's very few challenges for which failure will always result in a wipe. Most mistakes can be recovered from. It's great after suffering through A3S which is basically "do this perfectly or you wipe".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The localization team should just be writing the original script instead of writing fanfiction for a living.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A few mins into EXDR. Kate is the tank (VIT PLD, by chance).

We never got a replacement tank.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
You let him take the easy way out by kicking him. Either let him eat the 30 minute penalty or leave him on the ground when he dies. If he never leaves then kick him at the final boss.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Valid, but I wanted retainer gear more.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hommando posted:

You let him take the easy way out by kicking him. Either let him eat the 30 minute penalty or leave him on the ground when he dies. If he never leaves then kick him at the final boss.

I thought getting kicked gave a lockout, but I guess not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought getting kicked gave a lockout, but I guess not.

It just prevents you from rejoining the same one. The proper method is make them eat their penalty/kick before final boss/report to GM after if they really were being a douche.

Also just yell in any goon FC that you need a tank in progress and it won't be too hard to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the thing I like most about Thordan is that there's very few challenges for which failure will always result in a wipe. Most mistakes can be recovered from. It's great after suffering through A3S which is basically "do this perfectly or you wipe".

I have my share of complaints about raids but almost all of them boil down to the idea that the above concept is the core of the difficulty. It drives me nuts, especially in the really long 12-15 minute raid fights that cap raid tiers. So many places where my responsibilities are temporarily fulfilled and I
have nothing else to do but watch my party list to see if someone else is going to gently caress something up and make us start over.

There's less of them once you have a gear buffer but A4S was loving horrible when I was learning it because a single mistake could do worse then wipe the raid it could set up a hard enrage ending 7 or 8 minutes later. A4S is also a terrible fight to try and wipe to deliberately with no death wall so it's irritating twice over.

• Locked thread