Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

You two get a room and gently caress each other already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow Idiot Savant makes an annoying sound effect. Also it's weird seeing Sanctuary in ruins again after building it up so much.

e: I can't stop tooling around with settlements even though it really doesn't matter

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 7, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's frustrating that 3/4ths of the big factions want the Institute neutralized, but you're given zero options to facilitate any cooperation.

Unless I missed something along the way?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

moths posted:

It's frustrating that 3/4ths of the big factions want the Institute neutralized, but you're given zero options to facilitate any cooperation.

Unless I missed something along the way?

Nope.

SonnyVasquez
Oct 17, 2012

El riesgo siempre vive!
I can't believe I wasted so many hours of my life on this piece of poo poo.

The writing was so bad it's inconceivable save for only one real moment of hilarity which was when I would approach "Father" and refer to him as "~~~!!SON(hhh)!!~~~" almost with a sudden tone of reprimand despite the fact he's 70 years old and is using me as his errand boy. All of those interactions were generally hilarious just because of how bad it was and reminded me of the quality of writing in NV with that perk that hosed all the poo poo up and made the game world nuts for the lols. That final cinematic as well was so god awful, "Let's take this legendary catch-phrase that is a stalwart hallmark of the franchise and its grittiness and turn it into this cheesy, smug platitude, "bcos war nevr chaengessszzzzz heuheuheu" :mmmhmm: "Great works guys, everyone gets a raise!" :mmmhmm: :mmmhmm: . Ughhhhhhh. .

To be honest, I feel like I just played Fallout 3 again but in a nicer engine which is a pretty empty feeling really :S.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

SonnyVasquez posted:

The writing was so bad it's inconceivable save for only one real moment of hilarity which was when I would approach "Father" and refer to him as "~~~!!SON(hhh)!!~~~" almost with a sudden tone of reprimand despite the fact he's 70 years old and is using me as his errand boy. All of those interactions were generally hilarious just because of how bad it was and reminded me of the quality of writing in NV with that perk that hosed all the poo poo up and made the game world nuts for the lols. That final cinematic as well was so god awful, "Let's take this legendary catch-phrase that is a stalwart hallmark of the franchise and its grittiness and turn it into this cheesy, smug platitude, "bcos war nevr chaengessszzzzz heuheuheu" :mmmhmm: "Great works guys, everyone gets a raise!" :mmmhmm: :mmmhmm: . Ughhhhhhh. .

To be honest, I feel like I just played Fallout 3 again but in a nicer engine which is a pretty empty feeling really :S.

Pretty much this. Except with a shittier quantity (and quality) of weapons. I like the ability to mod weapons only because otherwise there's only a dozen or so actual weapon types. Crikey, even New Vegas had a better variety, even pre-mods.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I just took over management of Covenant. Does anyone ever side with the crazy doctor and her snakeoil synth-detection research? Of course if you shoot the prisoner girl and check her body there's a synth component, but the test is so plainly bullshit that it's annoying they even put that in there. When I killed all the hostile villagers after the Human Error quest, I did it without any of the turrets attacking me. Now I have control of the workbench, and the turrets are all still there chugging away, but I can't select them in workshop mode and they don't count toward the defense value of the settlement. If I get a raider attack, will turrets attack the raiders? I'm kind of curious.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Entropic posted:

So I just took over management of Covenant. but the test is so plainly bullshit that it's annoying they even put that in there.

:ssh: the test is just the questions from the goat (or w/e it was) in FO3 :ssh: because bethesda thinks that making references to their own games is clever or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was a clever way to nod to players that the people of Covenant were vault-dwellers pretending really hard that they were just regular settlers.

This is not what's going on, because that would have been internally consistent.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to appreciate it when the GECK is released and someone takes this game and makes it "Build Your Own Raider Gang" or some sort of Settlement Wars overhaul. Because honestly, my favorite parts are when the BoS fly in and start shooting poo poo up and causing chaos.

Speaking of, do they keep doing that after the final mission (if I side with them) because if not I will be mad.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Jay Rust posted:

The biggest improvement this game made over previous Bethesda titles is that rain doesn't fall through solid roofs anymore.

I still see rain falling through settlement roofs. And everything that's indoors still gets wet with rain somehow even with working roofs.

They did a really good job of making things look drenched in water when it rains, through.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

I still see rain falling through settlement roofs. And everything that's indoors still gets wet with rain somehow even with working roofs.

They did a really good job of making things look drenched in water when it rains, through.

It's finnicky. A lot of roofs have holes that will let water in but there is definitely areas where there is a roof with no holes and water does not fall through. It does still get on the visor regardless, though. Which is silly but I'll take it.

Also, get the True Wasteland Weather mod. It's great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Theta Zero posted:

It's basically exactly like skyrim, where you're 'outside' unless you're in a dungeon and there isn't really any 'are you under a roof' detection.

Basically if you can fast travel from your location, you gon get wet.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Does anyone know how much more ammo you get from scrounger after the first perk point? I have noticed more ammo and its a nice amount so I wonder if its worth investing anymore. The extra ammo is just good for bartering.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Today on Iron Chef, it's Iron Chef French vs. the (Culinary) Institute.

And this battle's secret ingredient is... MIRELURK!

"Fuku-san! Everyone knows that best mirelurk meat comes from glowing, green specimens."

Allez cuisine!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SonnyVasquez posted:

This is my main takeaway.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Khanstant posted:

This is my main takeaway.

ditto

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Robot Hobo posted:

Today on Iron Chef, it's Iron Chef French vs. the (Culinary) Institute.

And this battle's secret ingredient is... MIRELURK!

"Fuku-san! Everyone knows that best mirelurk meat comes from glowing, green specimens."

Allez cuisine!

I'm loving posts like this and the last one where somebody was roleplaying as an elderly judge/lawyer.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Theta Zero posted:

I'm loving posts like this and the last one where somebody was roleplaying as an elderly judge/lawyer.

uhh didn't you get the memo that this isn't a real role-playing game???

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

frajaq posted:

uhh didn't you get the memo that this isn't a real role-playing game???

SHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUNNNNN! :byodame:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
gently caress this item limit. Is there a way around this without using Cheat Engine?

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Seashell Salesman posted:

gently caress this item limit. Is there a way around this without using Cheat Engine?

If you drop items from your inventory, then go into build mode and store them in the workshop from the ground, each item you store will increase your build limit by 1. You can then go grab your items and repeat or go back to building.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

NickBlasta posted:

If you drop items from your inventory, then go into build mode and store them in the workshop from the ground, each item you store will increase your build limit by 1. You can then go grab your items and repeat or go back to building.

Yessssssss.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly the reasons writing is lovely in games are many. One is that even on big games, writing is kind of an afrerthought. After all, anybody can write! And the real writers they do hire are vetted six times over from within the industry. You'd think that would mean those rare staff writers were good... but not nessacarily. Games don't move copies based on the quality of their writing and gameplay will make up for almost any writing short of the offensively terrible. Even when you have the talent there are times were the needs of the designer trump the writing too.

The short answer is that there are very few "writers" in the industry (in the sense of trained, focused writers) and the ones we do have are in bubbles that are basically immune to criticism.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Trying to pick a companion to stick with in the game. Having difficulty. Piper is fun and cheerful and always offering to carry poo poo for me but is irritating me more and more as I play. Mostly because she's always bugging me about the salvage I grab. "Wow. What's that for?" etc. Also I swear she gets incapped more than the others. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Cait has IMO the best voice acting, but she's a bitch who hates all the radiant quests I want to do. I need my XP, but she'll whine no matter who I work for.

Curie is nice but her accent sounds overdone IMO and getting to her without a permanent debuff is obnoxious.

Preston's outfit is nice and I do love LASERS but he's just such a bland character in my eyes. Same with Danse - fun to have a big guy in power armor following me around but he feels like he has no personality to me. Maybe I just need to get my approval with him up.

Codsworth has some of the best lines in the game, and he wrecks poo poo with his flamer/saw. I just wish he could be modded or upgraded or something to have lasers or a minigun.

I haven't unlocked other companions. I'm thinking I'll go for Hancock next. Or possibly VAlentine, I'm undecided whether I want to continue along the main quest.

Part of me wants to make a new character but I've invested a fair amount of time in this run and I've built up a pretty enjoyably large settlement in the Sunset Drive-In. I'm still moderately annoyed about the Vault-Tec Rep not giving me a level 4 trader though.

Kinda wishing now that I had split up my efforts. Make a big settlement out of Sanctuary, and a home out of the Red Rocket. That sort of thing. Combining my home and my main settlement means I keep having shitheads show up and sleep in my bed. God I want a 'player only' tag for furniture and containers.

NickBlasta posted:

To expand on this : Not all items seem to work for this, or sometimes they seem to and other times not, but weapons always do and are plentiful. I keep seven unmodded pipe pistols in my workshop at all times just for this purpose.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 7, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hancock is the answer. He just rolls with it and he's cool so long as you give people what they have coming.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

moths posted:

It was a clever way to nod to players that the people of Covenant were vault-dwellers pretending really hard that they were just regular settlers.

This is not what's going on, because that would have been internally consistent.

That was exactly what I expected too, before going inside and... nope, just a town with an in-joke at the gate. So that's another missed opportunity for sure.

I hate to parrot the usual "Obsidian would've done that differently" routine but yeah, something like a fortified town built on top of a Vault by former dwellers who are a tad paranoid and vaguely cult-y about everything is probably something they would've written, even if it maybe projects too much of a Vault City vibe. But at least it would've been a nice change from three of the five Vaults in Fallout 4 being little more than raider dens.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

khy posted:

Trying to pick a companion to stick with in the game. Having difficulty. Piper is fun and cheerful and always offering to carry poo poo for me but is irritating me more and more as I play. Mostly because she's always bugging me about the salvage I grab. "Wow. What's that for?" etc. Also I swear she gets incapped more than the others. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Cait has IMO the best voice acting, but she's a bitch who hates all the radiant quests I want to do. I need my XP, but she'll whine no matter who I work for.

Curie is nice but her accent sounds overdone IMO and getting to her without a permanent debuff is obnoxious.

Preston's outfit is nice and I do love LASERS but he's just such a bland character in my eyes. Same with Danse - fun to have a big guy in power armor following me around but he feels like he has no personality to me. Maybe I just need to get my approval with him up.

Codsworth has some of the best lines in the game, and he wrecks poo poo with his flamer/saw. I just wish he could be modded or upgraded or something to have lasers or a minigun.

I haven't unlocked other companions. I'm thinking I'll go for Hancock next. Or possibly VAlentine, I'm undecided whether I want to continue along the main quest.

Part of me wants to make a new character but I've invested a fair amount of time in this run and I've built up a pretty enjoyably large settlement in the Sunset Drive-In. I'm still moderately annoyed about the Vault-Tec Rep not giving me a level 4 trader though.

Kinda wishing now that I had split up my efforts. Make a big settlement out of Sanctuary, and a home out of the Red Rocket. That sort of thing. Combining my home and my main settlement means I keep having shitheads show up and sleep in my bed. God I want a 'player only' tag for furniture and containers.

To expand on this : Not all items seem to work for this, or sometimes they seem to and other times not, but weapons always do and are plentiful. I keep seven unmodded pipe pistols in my workshop at all times just for this purpose.

What build limit are we referring to?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

khy posted:

Cait has IMO the best voice acting...

You are a crazy person.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

khy posted:

Hancock and Valentine are the best after Codsworth.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SonnyVasquez posted:

I'm trying to forget the main story and just enjoy side stuff and messing around as it comes, which is working well enough, but holy moly was that still something. More than anything, every faction coming to the same conclusion of "Let's completely destroy the magic super science base instead of using, salvaging or repurposing any of it, screw any and all of our goals it could further, what we need is another radiation hellpit!" is probably still the dumbest moment in the game.

MisterBibs posted:

A whole bunch? Fallout 3 sold a lot more than 1/2, and 4 did super well compared to New Vegas.

You're dumb and I'm dumb for engaging you on this newest dumb implication. A ton of people did roleplaying stuff in 3, which as it turns out is a previous game in this series, so you can quit with the B-BUT ~BETHESDA STYLE~ SOLD MORE game man.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 7, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's kind of poginant though, the Institute, in their blind fear, and callous disregard for the people they're trying to save, ended up creating a situation, where everyone around them wanted them dead.

TheDoon
Jul 4, 2013

Reason posted:

Don't talk to anyone, pop a jet run up to him while he's talking and VATS his head off.

I let my crit banker combined with Kellog's pistol end this fight in 2 shots.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

Protip: Stay in character for the entire conversation and all of Sinjinn's minions will flee in terror. Then all you have to do is go into VATS and blow Sinjinn's head off.
Or just tell him to fight you and everybody will attack you instead. It is funny how they all just hide in corners and let you kill them anyway after the fight though.

Entropic posted:

So I just took over management of Covenant. Does anyone ever side with the crazy doctor and her snakeoil synth-detection research? Of course if you shoot the prisoner girl and check her body there's a synth component, but the test is so plainly bullshit that it's annoying they even put that in there.
It was a blade runner reference, to screen for synths. :ssh:

Theta Zero posted:

Ruth Bader Ginsberg isnt just some elderly judge/lawyer, she's a stone pimp and one of the only things protecting america from itself. :911:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 7, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

First off, EVERYONE bitches about you picking stuff up, strong will probably annoy the poo poo out of you. Macready's pretty good and he likes lockpicking so you can max him quickly and pick up his +2000% headshot perk, haven't gotten to Hancock yet because I'm finishing up Curie's perk first, been saving him best for last though because it sounds like he doesn't give a poo poo about almost anything.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

They should have copied in most of Belethor's lines in randomly to Valentine as a kind of synth schizophrenia.

"Sorry doll, slipped out for a moment. I get these delusions...I think I'm nothing more than salesman in a world of dragons."

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm enjoying Deacon more than is strictly rational.

Is Danse's approval gated behind BoS quests or main plot? Want to max him out so I can ditch him forever but it's taking ages.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I just scrapped 4500 lbs of weapons from my workbench and holy poo poo moving from "all" to "weapons" tabs no longer lags for two full seconds, such a huge improvement in load time! I didn't even come close to scrapping everything, I've still got a couple dozen of each kind of institute weapon (I avoided piles in lieu of singletons) and a bunch of weapons named "Powerful" or "Ported" because those tend to be pretty nice damage and that just kinda leaves me with more than enough .50 cal bolt actions to arm pretty much everyone with a maxxed out one.

And I won't ever need scrap again.

Sylink posted:

They should have copied in most of Belethor's lines in randomly to Valentine as a kind of synth schizophrenia.

"Sorry doll, slipped out for a moment. I get these delusions...I think I'm nothing more than salesman in a world of dragons."
I was hoping that I'd get some more interesting Kellogg lines out of him after the memory den but of course they entirely missed a chance for anything interesting like finding out more about that character, there as well.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Shoulda been a line AT LEAST if you equip kellog's gun on valentine after the memory den.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
With my high level character in the 60s now, I kind of want to make a new character with a different gimmick, I'm thinking Strong Back and Nuclear Physicist, and trying to make it to the island settlement extremely early (no idea how I'll kill the mirelurk queen, maybe just change the difficulty for that fight lol). I was thinking of naming the character Bruce Banner but I've already heard all the male VA's lines so Jennifer Walters it is.

• Locked thread