Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

nielsm posted:

Fairy parchment? Either that's some tiny writing, a really large fairy, or they caught a darn lot of them to make it.

Hahaha, I see you've never embarked with a barrel of mosquito brains, or butterfly eyes!

Also fairy parchment for that book was no doubt chosen to make it as soft and silky-smooth as possible. I bet as soon as you open it smooth jazz starts playing.

Edit: Also I bet the dwarf that wrote that book refers to men and women as "males" and "females" like a true redditor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

reading posted:

Hahaha, I see you've never embarked with a barrel of mosquito brains, or butterfly eyes!

Also fairy parchment for that book was no doubt chosen to make it as soft and silky-smooth as possible. I bet as soon as you open it smooth jazz starts playing.

Edit: Also I bet the dwarf that wrote that book refers to men and women as "males" and "females" like a true redditor.

Nah, it's "guys" or "dudes" or "men" and "females", naturally. :reddit:

Can't wait for dfhack to get updated so I can actually play. Life without therapist and twbt-powered tilesets is just unimaginable.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing I miss is workflow.

I hate having to go back to the still every once in a while and set a new repeating job to brew until all the barrels are full.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maugrim posted:

It rose like a phallus; Urist wept.

:bravo:

It was inevitable.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Does this mean masterwork has to be rewritten again? God drat stupid bike man make my good mod

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

If only they'd let the studious monster keep hold of its book, it might not have actually bitten anyone. Instead, it bit four of my citizens and possibly some traders (I didn't check, they're someone else's problem now). I quarantined the victims succesfully and it turned out only one of them was actually infected. When the poor infected dwarf turned, he killed one of his fellows (luckily choosing to bash about with an item of clothing instead of biting), but the other two were able to survive until he turned back. One of them was knocked unconscious in the fight, so it fell to the other survivor to bash in the weremonster's head with her crutch. It took forever.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 7, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Lazy Newb Pack has a version out for 42.02, most of the tools don't work yet but it can install tilesets.

Thanks.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I am sure it has been noted by now but I am actually a bit frustrated that using workshops by accessing them individually with q has been slightly broken. Previous to this update when you entered the list for items the shop could make; it would remain on the last item you selected so that you could pump out three barrels so long as you didn't mind selecting it first.

These days the list is defaulting back to the top and while I tend to have a manager available to mitigate the problem old habits die hard and I often end up having to go back and fix mistakes now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I finally figured out papermaking. All this time I was frustrated because the farmer's workshop had "make paper from plants" available, but it turns out that's exclusively for papyrus, which is a have it or don't proposition. I had plant slurry, so I thought I was good to go. Nope! You need a screw press to form paper from the slurry (which is itself made at a quern or mill).

e: I'm also having problems with fighters going into battle wielding mugs and toy hammers. One of my hammerdwarves is attached to a masterwork diorite toy hammer. :iit:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RedTonic posted:

I finally figured out papermaking. All this time I was frustrated because the farmer's workshop had "make paper from plants" available, but it turns out that's exclusively for papyrus, which is a have it or don't proposition. I had plant slurry, so I thought I was good to go. Nope! You need a screw press to form paper from the slurry (which is itself made at a quern or mill).

Also be very careful if you are messing around with stockpiles being assigned to workshops. Right now workshops assume that if a stockpile is assigned to it that it is also the only stockpile on the earth it can take anything from.

I don't typically bother assigning my finished goods pile (To say nothing of the new Sheet stockpile) to give directly to craftsdwarf shops and as a result it took me a bit to figure out where all my paper went and why I couldn't make anything.

Eventually I just gave up and let my craft shops take from anywhere by de-assigning all of the stockpiles that were assigned to them. (Another thing that needs a handy button from a workshop menu)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

reignofevil posted:

Also be very careful if you are messing around with stockpiles being assigned to workshops. Right now workshops assume that if a stockpile is assigned to it that it is also the only stockpile on the earth it can take anything from.

Yeah, I had this issue with a clay stockpile and an unprocessed plants stockpile. Whatever's going on with give/take isn't working at all. It's not a useful tool.

I'm having some slowdown in a 140-citizen fortress with about ~60 guests & long-term residents. This embark had sparse trees when I started out, but they've gone nuts and there now stands a full blown forest outside of the fort's external pillbox. I've designated hundreds for the axe. Still, it's not as bad as it used to be. Toady must have changed something.

I started turning down petitions because I already have a poo poo load of layabout bards. I wish more scholars and mercenaries would petition for citizenship.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

RedTonic posted:

I'm having some slowdown in a 140-citizen fortress with about ~60 guests & long-term residents. This embark had sparse trees when I started out, but they've gone nuts and there now stands a full blown forest outside of the fort's external pillbox. I've designated hundreds for the axe. Still, it's not as bad as it used to be. Toady must have changed something.

I didn't play much of the last version, but I distinctly remember in earlier versions wood being at least semi-rare... kinda nice that it's much more renewable now. I can make charcoal without having to worry about literally burning through all the trees on the map or setting up tree farms underground.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

wall monitor posted:

I didn't play much of the last version, but I distinctly remember in earlier versions wood being at least semi-rare... kinda nice that it's much more renewable now. I can make charcoal without having to worry about literally burning through all the trees on the map or setting up tree farms underground.

God no, you're going to be racing to chop down trees to keep the framerates manageable. If I could start a surface world fire without having to make a pumpstack, I would. I need a dragon attack.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

So is there a therapist that works with the new version? I just came back to DF after a few years off.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decrepus posted:

So is there a therapist that works with the new version? I just came back to DF after a few years off.

Not yet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Decrepus posted:

The new version is radically different than previous ones, and just off the assembly line, give it a couple of weeks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reignofevil posted:

I am sure it has been noted by now but I am actually a bit frustrated that using workshops by accessing them individually with q has been slightly broken. Previous to this update when you entered the list for items the shop could make; it would remain on the last item you selected so that you could pump out three barrels so long as you didn't mind selecting it first.

These days the list is defaulting back to the top and while I tend to have a manager available to mitigate the problem old habits die hard and I often end up having to go back and fix mistakes now.

I'm fairly sure that's not a feature that broke, that was dfhack helping you out. I could be wrong though. But yeah, that was a quality of life improvement I'm really missing. The search function, too. Scrolling through my unit list looking for a specific dwarf sucks.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I hardly ever used dfhack and that issue (place in workshop lists not being saved) keeps throwing me off so it must have been in vanilla. Hopefully Toady changes it back.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Apparently cats can randomly die and there's a theory that they are poisoned after licking their fur clean from alcohol spills.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You'd think cats living with dwarves would have evolved a tolerance for alcohol.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Apparently cats can randomly die and there's a theory that they are poisoned after licking their fur clean from alcohol spills.

It seems to be spontaneous suffocation arising from internal injuries after being struck. Though I had a bunch of cats die in the room where I store barrels of booze... I'm pretty sure someone was going on a bender and kicking the poo poo out of cats. The random deaths stopped when I relocated the cattery to the farm.

I'm getting a lot of "found dead" messages for dorfs without any combat logs, too. I'm pretty sure there's a domestic violence offender somewhere in the fort.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All my food gets dumped into a quantum stockpile from the food production area 1 level above. The stockpile is in a 4x4 low traffic room that's connected to the dining hall. There's a cat stationed in there for pest control (since I can't use barrels).

There's a 1/4 chance that at any given dump of food from the cart the cat will get hit and maybe get injured/killed. It's an acceptable rate of loss, though. The cat doesn't actually die more than a couple times a year.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
My newish (1.5yr, 90 citizen) fort was struck by a nasty werehorse attack. Now nobody wants to do anything. I can't get anyone to haul corpses or get my miners to dig me out a space for a hospital or to put coffins. I can't even get my masons to build coffins. Most dwarves are standing around doing nothing. A few are still doing hauling labors, but the others are drinking or sleeping.

It's only been about 1 or 2 months since the attack. Do I just need to give them more time?

I'm running 40.24.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You'd think cats living with dwarves would have evolved a tolerance for alcohol.

I wonder when Toady's going to add evolution.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Music Theory posted:

Evolution (or at least Natural Selection) seems like it'd be a lot of work to design and code for very little meaningful gameplay impact.

So yeah, it's probably on his todo list already.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Music Theory posted:

wall monitor posted:

Evolution (or at least Natural Selection) seems like it'd be a lot of work to design and code for very little meaningful gameplay impact.

So yeah, it's probably on his todo list already.

Can't you already selectively breed animals for traits?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

mr. why posted:

My newish (1.5yr, 90 citizen) fort was struck by a nasty werehorse attack. Now nobody wants to do anything. I can't get anyone to haul corpses or get my miners to dig me out a space for a hospital or to put coffins. I can't even get my masons to build coffins. Most dwarves are standing around doing nothing. A few are still doing hauling labors, but the others are drinking or sleeping.

It's only been about 1 or 2 months since the attack. Do I just need to give them more time?

I'm running 40.24.

Are they actually doing "no job" nothing, or just doing non-productive things? If they're doing non-work things where the job is listed in purple, I think the deal is they're not willing to be interrupted by work.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Can't you already selectively breed animals for traits?

I think the only important trait in animals is muscle mass, for more meat when butchering. I don't recall exactly if that's passed down to offspring but it might be. Too bad descriptions are hosed and every animal shows up as "gigantic".

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

oh.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I, too, would probably keel over and pass out if someone tore my nuts off.

E: btw, is there a video tutorial on how to play this game? Something to watch on my goddamn 2 hour train ride home?

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elth posted:

I think the only important trait in animals is muscle mass, for more meat when butchering. I don't recall exactly if that's passed down to offspring but it might be. Too bad descriptions are hosed and every animal shows up as "gigantic".

Dunno, there's definitely scrawny dogs versus muscular dogs. I thought that size issue was fixed and it really only affected undeads?

That is a trait that gets passed down though iirc.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

That's an interesting word choice. As tasteful as it could be, i guess

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, your expedition leader is a lot less predictable now. I usually give my starting mason a point of appraisal and a few points of negotiator to cover the social skills, then make him the broker, too. Now all my dwarves who want to complain have to listen to this random rear end in a top hat recite his lovely poetry while he is supposed to be mining you poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elth posted:

Yes of course genetics are tracked what game do you think this is

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Elth posted:

Too bad descriptions are hosed and every animal shows up as "gigantic".

This only happens when an animal's size is affected by two conflicting body appearance modifiers at the same time, LENGTH and HEIGHT. Disable one (tracking the first one seems like it only makes sense for snakes) and they're perfectly truthful again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is world gen guaranteed to crash in this version after going on too long? Normally I stop it early but I thought I'd let it run its full 1000 year course and poke around in legends mode, but it crashed at some point.

What the hell are geldabl- oh

oh

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Is world gen guaranteed to crash in this version after going on too long? Normally I stop it early but I thought I'd let it run its full 1000 year course and poke around in legends mode, but it crashed at some point.
Crashes on me every time past 400.

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell are geldabl- oh
oh
:(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Cherry Fruit Geldables ®, made with "real" """fruit"""

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

So what am I supposed to do if a Dark Gnome zombie attacked my fort and his head was cleaved off and flew 5 Z levels atop a tree and scares everyone as they try to leave the fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Decrepus posted:

So what am I supposed to do if a Dark Gnome zombie attacked my fort and his head was cleaved off and flew 5 Z levels atop a tree and scares everyone as they try to leave the fort?

Take screenshots and post them here.