Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
A little while back the middle eastern states were increasing production to push out the US producers, as the unconventional wells being used in the US have higher production costs. A large amount of wells are sitting stagnant until the return on investment picks up.

I've heard that newer extraction methods have decreased the cost somewhat, so maybe it's a response that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first chance Howard got he loving burnt down the entire structure of industrial relations in this country.

And sold everything that wasn't bolted down. Telstra alone could have brought in BILLIONS of dollars of revenue (not to mention drastically lowering the cost of constructing the NBN), but nope, we need tax cuts for the upper-middle classes!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Actually I'm inclined to view Howard and Costello not investing any of the money from the mining boom/relative prosperity of that era into infrastructure and into developing new industries as one of the larger economic fuckups in Australian history

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Wouldn't the Russia-China oil pipeline offset this? And once the gas pipeline is up, I don't think Russia will be too worried.

edit: snickers and double dipped cherryripes ftw.

Pipeline isn't getting built because operating costs are more expensive than the current price of gas. So flag waving photo op and not much more at this point.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Actually I'm inclined to view Howard and Costello not investing any of the money from the mining boom/relative prosperity of that era into infrastructure and into developing new industries as one of the larger economic fuckups in Australian history

Yeah, squandering a massive loving resources boom is a pretty heinous fuckup.

Even if Howard hadn't privatised telstra and irredeemably hosed communications infrastructure in this country Turdbull would still have done it anyway in 2017.

EDIT: Calling it now btw. Death is Certain... again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd want to punch both Howard and Abbott in the face with approximately the same amount of force, but I feel like for different reasons.

Howard I want to punch for purely political reasons. I'd probably hate him as a person too, yes, but the main reason to give him a solid what-for is because of what he did. He's the main reason that the country I live in and the future I have to look forward to are both utter poo poo; why I'm anxious, scared and depressed pretty much every day. It doesn't matter if he's a saint outside of that, I still want to infuse every ounce of my pain that can be directly traced to the lovely economic and political decisions he made into my fist and deliver it straight to his skull.

Abbott's the other way around, I want to punch because he's just a poo poo person. Mercifully he never managed to really enact anything that hurt me; his election put an end to the good stuff Labor had going on, but that would've happened no matter who was helming the LNP, that's not really on him. If he had his way we'd be the worst country on Earth by all metrics, and certainly he tried (and got further than he should have, indirectly), but he was just too much of an utter fuckwad to pull it off. So that just leaves him as not just the worst Prime Minister we've ever had, but also the worst person who has ever been Prime Minister, which is a big distinction.

I want to punch Turnbull for both of these reasons.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 7, 2015

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Evil and dumb gives us Iraq

No, evil and dumb gives the USA Iraq. Evil and "smart" gives us Iraq.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ugh, stop talking about Abbot, you morons. This thread is for talking about Hitler vs John Howard.

And now that we're back on topic - who would win in a fight?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hate myself and I want to die.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

abbott would never fight hitler because they'd both be members of the same political party

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

abbott would never fight hitler because they'd both be members of the same political party

Howard and Hitler are both well known for never trying to knife members of their own party.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Ugh, stop talking about Abbot, you morons. This thread is for talking about Hitler vs John Howard.

And now that we're back on topic - who would win in a fight?

Hitler easily. Hitler was a not entirely inept soldier and spent a lot of time on the streets of Vienna. Howard lived with his mother til he was 30 and I've seen him try to bowl a cricket ball.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
JWH is just a conventional regressive shitlord in the Menzies mould who in terms of social policy lived with his mum well into his 30s and wanted to spray the whole country with formaldehyde, and economically was an orthodox neoliberal. I think he even described himself as such, he put forward conservative social policies as a nice warm familiar blanket for the voters while pressing forward with his real agenda in the form of tory economic policies. JWH is the master of reading which way the wedge was going and positioning himself on the right side of it.

Tony Abbott is the exact opposite. His real agenda is born of his idiosyncratic yet devout Catholicism and economically he was of the BA Santamaria, DLP ilk. He is a faithful crusader and a political brawler who cannot countenance the idea that what he believes might be in any way wrong even in the face of opinion polling.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

when you say infrastructure what you mean is civil construction right

well from one point of view that is the absolute worst time because you are competing for the same pool of tradesmen, engineers, etc that are building the mines

you will get poo poo value for money because everything is overpriced due to demand outstripping supply

government investment should be countercyclical, the correct thing to do is what Rudd actually did, waited for the slowdown and then launched his Nation Building and Jobs Building the Education Revolution Pink Batts This is Communism plan that gave every house a safety hazard and every school a covered assembly area or whatever the gently caress it was

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If we're honest, most goons would lose a fistfight to hitler.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

hooman posted:

Not me I am big and strong hairy and fat

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hooman posted:

Especially if you take into account that Hitler was constantly methed out.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

EXAKT Science posted:

Especially if you take into account that Hitler was constantly methed out.

lmao if you're not methed out 24 loving 7 you loving squares

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Howard and Hitler are both well known for never trying to knife members of their own party.

I said Abbott would never fight Hitler, not that Hitler would never fight Abbott :colbert:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Hockey officially has the thumbs up for US Ambassador in a shocking twist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ambassador Joe Hockey ahahaha

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birb Katter posted:

Hockey officially has the thumbs up for US Ambassador in a shocking twist.

I did nazi that coming

wait

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Perhaps they've told him he has the job but they really gave it to somebody else. His office is fake and none of the phones or computers are plugged in.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Sloppy Joe's people skills are going to get us nuked.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I enjoyed Leigh Sales talking to the PM last night.

It was the first time I've seen him flustered. In parliament and media appearances he's so in control, but last night his smug bullshit didn't work. It was nice to see that he can (rarely) be a bumbling idiot spruiking slogans like the best (worst) of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4367704.htm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

Joe Hockey has said if he did not retire from the Parliament he would have been focused on "getting even with people" who contributed to his downfall as treasurer.

Another note to add to the "Joe Hockey, pettiest man in politics" file.

Can't say I'm surprised since the reason he got into politics is someone at the student union cafe wasn't deferential enough to him one time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

when you say infrastructure what you mean is civil construction right

well from one point of view that is the absolute worst time because you are competing for the same pool of tradesmen, engineers, etc that are building the mines

you will get poo poo value for money because everything is overpriced due to demand outstripping supply

government investment should be countercyclical, the correct thing to do is what Rudd actually did, waited for the slowdown and then launched his Nation Building and Jobs Building the Education Revolution Pink Batts This is Communism plan that gave every house a safety hazard and every school a covered assembly area or whatever the gently caress it was

Yes, but the even worse thing to do is take the money and money from revenue generating asset sales and blow it on destroying your tax revenue base.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Statistically speaking and based on the general population of the US and number of incidents, are the odds of Joe being gunned down in a mass shooting?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SynthOrange posted:

Ambassador Joe Hockey ahahaha

I support moving Joe Hockey as far away from Australia as possible.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Rougey posted:

Statistically speaking and based on the general population of the US and number of incidents, are the odds of Joe being gunned down in a mass shooting?

I think the real question is do you reckon you could convince conspiracy nutters that the Australian Embassy is a Muslim haven

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

freebooter posted:

I think maybe Howard was just a detestable man with regards to his horrible policies, whereas Abbott strikes one as a completely poo poo human being on almost every level, down to the most fundamental ways in which he interacted with other people. A swaggering, bullying, dick-swinging psychopath.

but enough about my ex wife :smug:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ooooh Baby :getin:

quote:

NOTICE OF A DATA MATCHING PROGRAM
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will acquire details of real property transactions for the period 20 September 1985 to 30 June 2017 from the following sources:

New South Wales Office of State Revenue

New South Wales Department of Finance & Services

Land & Property Information

New South Wales Office of Fair Trading

Rental Bond Board

Victorian State Revenue Office

Residential Tenancies Bond Authority

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Australian Capital Territory Environment & Planning Directorate

Australian Capital Territory Office of Regulatory Services (Land Titles Office)

(Northern) Territory Revenue Office

Northern Territory
Department of Lands, Planning and the Environment

Queensland Office of State Revenue

Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority

Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water & Environment

Tasmanian State Revenue Office

Tasmanian Department of Justice

Revenue SA

South Australian Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure

Land Services Group

Western Australian Office of State Revenue

Western Australian Land Information authority (Landgate)

Valuation details

It is estimated the total number of records that will be obtained is:

Rental bond authorities – approximately 1 million records for each year
Revenue and land title offices –approximately 30 million records for each year
Based on current data holdings it is estimated that records relating to 11.3 million individuals will be matched.

The purpose of this data matching program is to ensure that taxpayers are correctly meeting taxation and
other program obligations administered by the ATO in relation to their dealings with real property. These
obligations include registration, lodgment, reporting and payment responsibilities.
The objectives are to obtain intelligence about the acquisition and disposal of real property and identify risks and trends of
non-compliance across the broader compliance program identify a range of compliance
activities appropriate to address risks with real property transactions by taxpayers work with real property intermediaries to obtain an understanding of the risks and issues, as well as trends of non-complianc egain support and input into compliance strategies to minimise future risk to revenue
promote voluntary compliance and strengthen community confidence in the integrity of the tax system by publicising the outcomes of the data matching program ensure compliance with registration, lodgment, correct reporting and payment of taxation and superannuation obligations.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ATO-Notice-of-Data-Matching-Program.pdf

I think some people are going to get caught out.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

They've also been collecting records of people who pay for private school from offshore accounts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone please turn down the thermostat

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Put it this way: imagine Abbott's response to the Port Arthur massacre

"poo poo happens, doesn't it?"

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

Someone please turn down the thermostat

Two nights ago here in Adelaide was the hottest night since like the 1870s. Last night, there was a thunderstorm.

We've reached that point, right near the end of the year, when nature makes another attempt on the life of the entire country.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Cleretic posted:

Two nights ago here in Adelaide was the hottest night since like the 1870s. Last night, there was a thunderstorm.

We've reached that point, right near the end of the year, when nature makes another attempt on the life of the entire country.

I like nerding out about the weather so I looked this up, so far this month Adelaide has had both it's lowest and highest December minimum on record :whoptc:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
IANACS - This is due to the more energetic mixing of the cold and hot air masses. The increased energy in the atmosphere means cold air masses travel further than before, as do hot ones.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So the ABC have commissioned a documentary about indigenous recognition - starring one Andrew Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
what

• Locked thread