Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't remember which comic was exactly my first, but I do remember two comics distinctly among my first. I was really sick and my mother brought me a copy of Superman #423 which probably doomed me right there. It was years before I read Action #583 for the ending...

The other one for me was that one of the first comics I purchased for myself was Crisis on Infinite Earths #8. Twenty years later I had Marv Wolfman and George Perez sign that exact, tattered copy at a convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My first comic was some punisher/wolverine/ghostrider thing that I remember actually being pretty good.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Fsmhunk posted:

My first comic was some punisher/wolverine/ghostrider thing that I remember actually being pretty good.

That's virtually every comic in the 90's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my first comic was probably some random issue of the Beano.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

My first comic was some Web of Spider-Man book in the mid 90s. The only thing I remember about it was that it had Shocker.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My grandmother had the kind of comics that a Sunday School teacher would have -- Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, a couple of those Christian Archie comics, that sort of thing. So I suppose that that's what I read first.

The first hero comic I can remember reading was an old Green Lantern in some waiting room -- this one. It included a fun terrorist gang trying to take over an airport -- the YELLOW PERIL!

Who are all "Green Lantern is rumored to be POWERLESS against anything yellow! So, let's, um... dress in yellow jumpsuits because he's never had to face that particular weakness in person or, like, pick up something non-yellow and hurl it at us. Also no other heroes could possibly be in town."

The first comic I bought for myself, since a friend of mine talked up the X-Men incessantly, was an X-Men book. Specifically, Heroes for Hope. Certainly this was going to be a knock-down, drag-out example of classic superhero battling:

Or not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People kept buying me comics as a kid for my birthday but I never did take to them

So I got like an AoA X-men where Morph turns into a whale?

And then A Scarlet Spider-Spider-Man comic where there was Carnage and that Girl Symbiote?

Anyway, I didn't get into comics again until I was all growed up and could actually spend money and I just walked into a LCBS and picked up Scarlett Spider #1.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Fereydun posted:

it's the only mask of his that can be worn with a. turtletactineck

Ftfy

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I don't remember my very first comic of my own, but one of the first was the OHOTMU Book of the Dead. That explains a lot. However, I also got Groo. One issue from well after I started reading comics (vol. 2 #57, November 1989) opens with him and Rufferto on a raft in the ocean, their previous ship having sunk because— Groo being a massive jinx— every ship Groo sets foot on sinks sooner or later. They drift within sight of a ship so massive that they can't tell if it's a ship or an island. It comes that they need to build on deck, so Groo goes to get some wood.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

"LordPants" posted:

So I got like an AoA X-men where Morph turns into a whale?

Astonishing X-Men #3 or 4. I could have done good in school, but all my memory is used up remembering random panels from 90's comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ManiacClown posted:

I don't remember my very first comic of my own, but one of the first was the OHOTMU Book of the Dead. That explains a lot.

The original run of that book had a super-creepy cover.

They did the same thing again a few years later, but instead of the cover, they just included a panel on every character's page that depicted their deaths, which was probably worse.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Fsmhunk posted:

Sounds like Hearts of Darkness where they have to deal with Mephisto's son.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Fsmhunk posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, which was one of my first comics, it was Ghost Rider/Wolverine/Punisher: Hearts of Darkness. It had art by Romita, which made it kind of stand out a bit in my memory compared to the other comics I was reading at the time.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
My first comic was Anarky's debut in Detective Comics. One look at Norm Breyfogle's work and I was pretty much hooked.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
GI-Joe #23.

Larry Hama is indeed hard to appreciate at age 5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Masters of the Universe #12, picked up off the spinner rack at a Jewel/Osco in 1986.

It wasn't amazing but it was pretty much the last gasp of He-Man as it was so I gobbled it up. Took forever to find the follow up (and final) issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Did he ever score?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Did he ever score?

Oh he totally banged Teela.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rhyno posted:

Masters of the Universe #12, picked up off the spinner rack at a Jewel/Osco in 1986.

It wasn't amazing but it was pretty much the last gasp of He-Man as it was so I gobbled it up. Took forever to find the follow up (and final) issue.

Apparently I'm still 12, because Skeletor's gaping maw looming over a phallic tombstone is making me laugh way too hard

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Apparently I'm still 12, because Skeletor's gaping maw looming over a phallic tombstone is making me laugh way too hard

And suddenly we are all 12.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

Whoah, that's right up there with "The Transformers...are all dead."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joehonkie posted:

Whoah, that's right up there with "The Transformers...are all dead."

From memory, Adam tossed the Power Sword into the abyss and the sword ends up in the future or something. He goes to find it and ends up in a future where Skeletor rules, He-Man is assumed dead and Adam is a war torn soldier. Both Adam's hold the sword up and become He-Man, the old man version dies and young Adam returns home.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I know what this is from, but I can't remember. Hellblazer?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X-Men. That's Mystique getting Destiny in her face.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Ghostlight posted:

X-Men. That's Mystique getting Destiny in her face.

And hair.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Eh, it's not the first time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is that from before or after The Big Lebowski came out?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah. X-Factor Annual #6 in 1991 vs. Lebowski in 1998. I'd be very surprised if this comic was the origin of that gag though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Nah. X-Factor Annual #6 in 1991 vs. Lebowski in 1998. I'd be very surprised if this comic was the origin of that gag though.
Long shot, but Life Stinks by Mel Brooks came out in '91, which also has a similar scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63182WmUCfE

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 7, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I meant the "ashes scattered to the wind blow back" gag period. It seems like something that goes back to vaudeville at least. It's like something you'd see in Buster Keaton or Chaplin.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Does anyone have those Newspaper Spiderman comics from Spiderverse? I want to show them to a friend.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mind the walrus posted:

I meant the "ashes scattered to the wind blow back" gag period. It seems like something that goes back to vaudeville at least. It's like something you'd see in Buster Keaton or Chaplin.

The scene in Life Stinks was based on something that actually happened to one of the actors.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keromaru5 posted:

The scene in Life Stinks was based on something that actually happened to one of the actors.
It was Mel Brooks himself, with his dad's ashes.

That scene is literally the only thing I remember about that movie which somehow ended up as a sleepover movie choice back in like 7th or 8th grade.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

redbackground posted:

It was Mel Brooks himself, with his dad's ashes.

That scene is literally the only thing I remember about that movie which somehow ended up as a sleepover movie choice back in like 7th or 8th grade.

Close: it was Howard Morris, whose character's ashes fly into Brooks' face.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keromaru5 posted:

Close: it was Howard Morris, whose character's ashes fly into Brooks' face.

goddammit, I thought it was Mel's this whole time. I have learned a thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not a panel, but it is comics and I found it funny...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Once more the dreams and hopes of the 90's die in front of our faces.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
We're talking about how we got into comics now?

Well early on my grandparents on both sides had random assortment of stuff for the grandkids to waste time with, including comics. I'd get random like, Disney comics as cheapo gifts that I'd read, and they'd have ratty old Tarzan or Lois Lane comics which I read the hell out of (the former even had cool extra features like a ape-to-man translation guide). However, as a little brother, the phases my older brother went through often had much longer effects on me than they did on him. There's lots that I still am fanatical about that were passing crazes to him, like punk or goth music, or horror movies. In the 80s he got into comics at random, but wasn't very picky about it. He would grab whatever covers looked cool, caring less about over-arching stories. At the time, as my mom was taking both of us to the LCBS, I would end up getting things based on if they looked funny, like Groo, or Captain Carrot, or "Mazin Man, or Ambush Bug. I regret none of those purchases. Later I would start going through the "adolescent" comic phase, right when X-Men fanaticism was an all time high, and the Image revolution was just starting, so I tried to pay attention to all his old back issues, and I started realizing things could be pretty awesome, and found myself enjoying things like old Avengers back issues, or his random assortment of Transformers comics (including the whole awesome arc where Megatron kills everyone except Ratchet, and then blackmails him into going and digging up the Dinobots in the Savage Land). The rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adult fantasy... I see.