Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

Tag partners are useless during NXT. Run in mid match and manage a guy to victory.

I won all of Baron Corbin's matches for him by hitting him with a chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

I won all of Baron Corbin's matches for him by hitting him with a chair.

this would be a loving amazing angle, a guy trying to partner up with an upper-carder by "helping" him win all of his matches like this

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ParanoidInc posted:

this would be a loving amazing angle, a guy trying to partner up with an upper-carder by "helping" him win all of his matches like this

There wasn't a difference in push, but didn't Eddie do something like this with the Hardy Boys? I remember him trying to suck up to them and get them to accept him as an ally

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I seriously can't get the submission system in this game. I agree that the button mashing was too easy in the earlier games, but this is insane.

I keep reading all of these different strategies online about tricking the AI in to a pattern and it's like, if I have to look up "strategies" or trick the AI, then the thing is broken.

I've been playing the Mania 13 showcase where I have to make Austin submit. I spend 20 minutes smashing his legs with a baseball bat and then put him in 3 consecutive sharpshooters. Every time, he gets out. It's like his bar is input reading mine.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

I seriously can't get the submission system in this game. I agree that the button mashing was too easy in the earlier games, but this is insane.

I keep reading all of these different strategies online about tricking the AI in to a pattern and it's like, if I have to look up "strategies" or trick the AI, then the thing is broken.

I've been playing the Mania 13 showcase where I have to make Austin submit. I spend 20 minutes smashing his legs with a baseball bat and then put him in 3 consecutive sharpshooters. Every time, he gets out. It's like his bar is input reading mine.

Just turn the submission attempts way down in the options. The granular control over the AI works fine for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Uh... just go the opposite way to the AI? If it's going clockwise, you go counter clockwise, and try and keep their bar in yours as long as possible, but don't freak out if they don't stay in. I think people believe you need to keep their bar in yours at all times when that's not how it works at all. I rarely have trouble tapping out the AI. I've been tapped out a few times because their bar's huge and mine moves like molasses, but if I'm on the offensive it's not difficult, but not easy.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

coconono posted:

its so silly they boast the biggest roster but the game booking has you face off against the same guy each week. It got to the point in MyCareer where I'd grab a chair and eat the DQ just to speed through a feud. Somehow that turned me face.

Funny part is that it's not a feud, it'd just how the ranking system works. The Smackdown matches are apparently the matches that are set up by the ranks and not your feuds, but when you go to the top, the number 2 never changes. For me it was Wade Barrett, and so every week, I just put on a five star match of apron ddt's and pentagon jr. armbreakers. It's made me think it would be loving hilarious if they did this in the real product. Just every smackdown for a year, two guys keep getting booked for the same match, and go slowly insane from it. Never let the announcers or the authority mention it, but the wrestlers themselves are screaming at the fans about how trapped they are. They turn heel against each other, slowly reconcile to have fun comedy matches, but by the end it's just two worn out husks of men waiting to be freed.

And then Kane and Big Show arrive at the end to put a bullet in them each.

Why am I still fighting Wade Barret

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just turn the submission attempts way down in the options. The granular control over the AI works fine for me.

I usually have no problem escaping submissions, it's getting people to tap that's causing issues.

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... just go the opposite way to the AI? If it's going clockwise, you go counter clockwise, and try and keep their bar in yours as long as possible, but don't freak out if they don't stay in. I think people believe you need to keep their bar in yours at all times when that's not how it works at all. I rarely have trouble tapping out the AI. I've been tapped out a few times because their bar's huge and mine moves like molasses, but if I'm on the offensive it's not difficult, but not easy.

When I go opposite of their bar, it seems like they just stay opposite, then if I try close in they mirror my movements exactly.

Google around, it's not like I'm the only person that's having issues with this. It's a moronic system that requires weird reverse logic to beat.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Funny part is that it's not a feud, it'd just how the ranking system works. The Smackdown matches are apparently the matches that are set up by the ranks and not your feuds, but when you go to the top, the number 2 never changes.

Every year stuff like this is in the game. You'd think it would be something the devs would notice right away and work to fix, but obviously that's not the case. I wonder if it's some deep, fundamental issue that they aren't able to fix without a massive overhaul somewhere in the game.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Funny part is that it's not a feud, it'd just how the ranking system works. The Smackdown matches are apparently the matches that are set up by the ranks and not your feuds, but when you go to the top, the number 2 never changes. For me it was Wade Barrett, and so every week, I just put on a five star match of apron ddt's and pentagon jr. armbreakers. It's made me think it would be loving hilarious if they did this in the real product. Just every smackdown for a year, two guys keep getting booked for the same match, and go slowly insane from it. Never let the announcers or the authority mention it, but the wrestlers themselves are screaming at the fans about how trapped they are. They turn heel against each other, slowly reconcile to have fun comedy matches, but by the end it's just two worn out husks of men waiting to be freed.

you joke, but this actually happened with Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Well I finally tapped Austin out (with an abdominal stretch lmao). I definitely "get" the submission system now, the key is rhythmic movement that forces the AI back in to your red bar.

Even though I think I can do it regularly now, it's still a dumb loving system.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Blast Fantasto posted:

Well I finally tapped Austin out (with an abdominal stretch lmao). I definitely "get" the submission system now, the key is rhythmic movement that forces the AI back in to your red bar.

Even though I think I can do it regularly now, it's still a dumb loving system.

I liked the 3 count system on TNA's videogame the best. If someone were to steal that and modify the visuals, it'd be awesome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there no reason they couldn't do the same kind of system for submissions that they already have for pins?

Just make the timing window longer & the sweet spot easier to hit when you are rested, and as you're more worn down make it harder.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

triplexpac posted:

Is there no reason they couldn't do the same kind of system for submissions that they already have for pins?

Just make the timing window longer & the sweet spot easier to hit when you are rested, and as you're more worn down make it harder.
They had that at one point! I think it was in SVR 2006 and the next few games after that. Might have been in the first SVR as well, I'm not quite sure.

It wasn't quite the same thing as the current kickout system because you didn't have to hold any buttons, just needed to stop the ball at the sweet spot to break out. Some of the submissions also had other, smaller sweet spots for reversing them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doc Morbid posted:

They had that at one point! I think it was in SVR 2006 and the next few games after that. Might have been in the first SVR as well, I'm not quite sure.

It wasn't quite the same thing as the current kickout system because you didn't have to hold any buttons, just needed to stop the ball at the sweet spot to break out. Some of the submissions also had other, smaller sweet spots for reversing them.

I remember that! And when you had your opponent in the move, you tapped the button to make the meter shake, making it harder for them to get the timing right!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWE 2k17 to have a Gordian-based submission minigame system where you have to untie each limb out of an impossible knot.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Blue Pants is streaming Fallout 4 at http://www.twitch.tv/wrestlingleva

she's very bad at it

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I'm not quite sure how this happened...

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, I'm in a rivalry with Hideo but it put me in a PPV match against Finn, the champion. Any idea why?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Did Hideo come out or anything like that? I believe they're allies by default. Could just be a bug though

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, Hideo didn't get involved at all. I was expecting him to, since his friendship with Hideo is why I targeted him in the first place, but nothing happened. I'll see what's up when the next PPV comes around I guess?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyQaIzTKAu8

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the game is fine. It's definitely rough, the devs definitely do not understand why the best wrestling games are so beloved, and some models are horrible (Did they not get the rights to Whipwreck's appearance?). I LOVE the little things like multiple attires, auto-managers, and the little animations. That said, it's fine. It's not No Mercy, it's not SVR 06. But it's also not Backyard Wrestling, SVR 08, or TNA Impact. There's room for improvement which probably won't happen, but I'll buy the Season Pass when it gets a discount in a few months and peer pressure HulkaMatt to get it so we can try and find glitches with KungFuGrip like the good ol' days of 4 years ago

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Lets do terrible spots that allows the rag dolls physics to harm our characters in hilarious ways.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Early tip: play Elimination Chamber matches. There's a reason they've been removed from the default PPV types.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think the game is fine. It's definitely rough, the devs definitely do not understand why the best wrestling games are so beloved, and some models are horrible (Did they not get the rights to Whipwreck's appearance?). I LOVE the little things like multiple attires, auto-managers, and the little animations. That said, it's fine. It's not No Mercy, it's not SVR 06. But it's also not Backyard Wrestling, SVR 08, or TNA Impact. There's room for improvement which probably won't happen, but I'll buy the Season Pass when it gets a discount in a few months and peer pressure HulkaMatt to get it so we can try and find glitches with KungFuGrip like the good ol' days of 4 years ago

"This is not actually horrible" is pretty high praise coming from you.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

the Backyard Wrestling games (mostly the second one) are actually pretty fun and don't deserve to be lumped into the same grouping as SvR 08.

Though yeah this year actually looks slightly promising, I hope that some of the ideas get a proper follow-up. But that'd almost be a first for the series.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Does anyone have any tips to using Developmental Territories in TEW? Is there a best way to create one so you maximize the growth of your rookies?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

AFAIK developmental workers progress the same way as any other, by working. So your best bet is to make your farm fed a touring promotion since they'll put on more frequent shows. Also, the size of the fed influences its drawing power and thus the length of its cards, so if you're making one from scratch you'll want to pump as much money as possible into it to maximize the number of matches per card and the experience gained.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Early tip: play Elimination Chamber matches. There's a reason they've been removed from the default PPV types.

One of the few times I played 2k14 online it was an EC match and it glitched in such a way that a wrestler was pinned but not eliminated which made it impossible for the match to actually ever be finished.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I have yet to play an EC match that didn't end with someone getting caught in the geometry of the cage and getting catapulted out onto the ramp. I once tried to do the "Pod People" OMG moment and ended up spearing them through the barricade outside of the cage instead, stranding us both.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Had an Elimination chamber match where three wrestlers pinned at the exact same time, and the ref froze (presumably because the AI didn't know who to count out). So it was just six guys, stuck in their pins, forever.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone have any tips to using Developmental Territories in TEW? Is there a best way to create one so you maximize the growth of your rookies?

Basic Chunnel posted:

AFAIK developmental workers progress the same way as any other, by working. So your best bet is to make your farm fed a touring promotion since they'll put on more frequent shows. Also, the size of the fed influences its drawing power and thus the length of its cards, so if you're making one from scratch you'll want to pump as much money as possible into it to maximize the number of matches per card and the experience gained.

Touring is the best option however workers will still improve even when not booked on a show. They will still improve quicker when they are wrestling on as many shows as possible but it seems the best way to improve is to have high quality trainers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Testekill posted:

It seems the best way to improve is to have high quality trainers.
Norman Smiley for example.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Just got 2K16 and have been playing it pretty consistently. I skipped 2K15, so I'm not sure how much of this is new, but first impressions:

* The matches are indeed slower. Not good or bad, just takes getting used to.
* ...but part of getting used to it is getting frustrated in Career mode when I waste reversals because my timing is off. I typically have fewer reversals than my opponent anyway, and that puts me in a big hole.
* Career mode is slow. SP costs are high, some things that shouldn't need to be bought are behind the fake money wall (top-rope moves? really?) and the cool things about it are kind of overshadowed.
* Figured I'd just throw myself into Universe Mode instead, but I'm currently out of downloads. Doesn't help that I figured "counter will reset" meant "counter will reset," not "counter will only go up by one."
* I'm still poo poo at making CAW appearances.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, and I feel like it was worth $30 to upgrade from 2K14. But it feels quite a bit slower than 2K14 did, both in matches and otherwise.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Golden Bee posted:

Norman Smiley for example.

Norman Smiley is indeed responsible for everything good in NXT.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

tzirean posted:

Just got 2K16 and have been playing it pretty consistently. I skipped 2K15, so I'm not sure how much of this is new, but first impressions:

* ...but part of getting used to it is getting frustrated in Career mode when I waste reversals because my timing is off. I typically have fewer reversals than my opponent anyway, and that puts me in a big hole.
* Career mode is slow. SP costs are high, some things that shouldn't need to be bought are behind the fake money wall (top-rope moves? really?) and the cool things about it are kind of overshadowed.

I have it for the PS3, so no My Career mode for me, but what I have done is made my own in Universe mode, and it does kind of work out. I've set up three promotions, a local, a regional, and a national. Basically, all the NXT guys and a few of the jobbers are in the local. The regional is made up of midcarders. And the national is all the main eventers. I started my CAW in the local, and so far it seems to work out pretty well. Eight months in he slowly moved up the ranks until the game finally put him a feud for the midcard title, and now he's about set to have a rivalry for the heavyweight title. I have draft mode on, so I'm hoping that after Mania, he may get moved to one of the other promotions.

I mean, it's not perfect by any means (i.e. the mode is in love with Billy Gunn. He's the dual champion of the regional promotion, and in all the main events) but I am enjoying the progress. Plus, when I get bored with my CAW, I can just add another CAW into the mix and start over without having to reset the whole thing.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

How do you guys play Universe Mode?

I spend ages retiring the active wrestlers I will never use and adding in some olden days ones who are more fun. I set up my feuds, and then every single Raw has all of those matches on. If I book Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar, they end up in a singles match pretty much once a week. I'm not that interested in playing it over and over so I sim them, but that feels like I'm missing the point. I end up simming forward to a fun PPV, usually the insanely dull MITB match, then get bored and sim forward again.

Are you really all playing 7 matches on Raw, 7 on SmackDown, four on NXT AND all the PPV matches? That seems really, really slow.

Frustratingly, once you've played one match, you can't skip the next one until its been fully loaded, so I'm not totally sure what the game wants you to do. It could do with a manual or something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Genericide posted:

How do you guys play Universe Mode?

I spend ages retiring the active wrestlers I will never use and adding in some olden days ones who are more fun. I set up my feuds, and then every single Raw has all of those matches on. If I book Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar, they end up in a singles match pretty much once a week. I'm not that interested in playing it over and over so I sim them, but that feels like I'm missing the point. I end up simming forward to a fun PPV, usually the insanely dull MITB match, then get bored and sim forward again.

Are you really all playing 7 matches on Raw, 7 on SmackDown, four on NXT AND all the PPV matches? That seems really, really slow.

Frustratingly, once you've played one match, you can't skip the next one until its been fully loaded, so I'm not totally sure what the game wants you to do. It could do with a manual or something.

Once I finish a match, I just back out to the card menu, and go from the there. And no, I don't play every match on the card. I play the ones my CAW are in, and any that seem fun, but I just sim the rest. I kind of like seeing who the computer chooses (like Billy Gunn being a three time WCW champion, while holding onto the WCW US title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I have one wacky brand (I call it TNA and use a TNA arena) with all the old guys I don't want to use and jobbers like Zack Ryder and guys like that, rather than retiring them. The ROH/NJPW brand I have seems to put together some decent matches on its own and I'll occasionally play a full PPV from it since I only have wrestlers on that brand that I like playing.

also, haha, Rovert just won the IWGP IC title from Liger on that brand.