Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Were they really that demanding? I haven't watched it in a while but from what I remember they mostly seemed like fairly normal dim people who were sent to venues and dressmakers specifically to talk about their dream wedding.
Their dream weddings always sounded ridiculous and boring, but that's because weddings are ridiculous and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think anyone who agrees to go on that show really gives a gently caress about having a nice wedding.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I eagerly await Pompey Shores. Wait, no I don't because it would be horrendous

I'd watch Pompey Shores if it was about Pompey Magnus being awesome taking over the mediterranean in the Roman Republic. In fact, can someone please do that? Ideally the folks behind Spartacus.

Rather enjoying Masterchef the Professionals - particularly enjoyed Stuart, the grumpy chef from Wednesday night who cooked boring but delicious food slowly and aggressively, refusing to smile even when praised by the judges. Tragic he didn't get through.

Edit: While looking for a video that demonstrated Stuart, I came upon this article.

This seems to be an article which is simply describing point by point whats on TV, I assume for those who want to relive the experience?

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The attraction of DTTB is the beautiful clockwork way each episode ticks round to the inevitable moment where the bride says 'it isn't what I would have done, but he tried hard'. Shame trying to make it BBC 1-worthy seems to have killed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My fiancé said she wouldn't mind being on DTTB, that is until I told her the outline plan of WeddingMania. She has since retracted her stance.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
When I suggested going on there I was shot down. They give you 10k I believe.

Tho she's taking me to Wrestlemania after the wedding so she can do whatever she wants tbh

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went a few years ago. It's amazing (and that was a card the Internet agrees was underwhelming, 29, I wish I'd done the 'smart thing' and saved to go to 30 as well).

This is a good wife.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

josh04 posted:

The attraction of DTTB is the beautiful clockwork way each episode ticks round to the inevitable moment where the bride says 'it isn't what I would have done, but he tried hard'. Shame trying to make it BBC 1-worthy seems to have killed it.

It's obvious the producers put as much effort as possible into persuading the guy to spend all the money on something ridiculous that his fiancée will totally hate, because it makes for better TV.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The best bits for me were always when you had the bride describing their worst nightmare and then it cutting to the groom planning that exact thing. There was one where she said something about not wanting a certain thing on her dress (ribbons maybe?) and then the groom is looking at dresses and going "hey, I like these ribbons, I'll get her one like this".

And then there was one where the worst thing she could imagine was a big lavish Las Vegas wedding, and lo and behold, that's exactly what the groom was planning. I think that one might also have been a double-whammy, because she was also hoping all her friends and family could be there but with flights and everything it would be prohibitively expensive to do that. Felt a bit sorry for her at that point.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Vegas one was hilarious because the bride was so insufferable. She was the real 'I want to be a princesssss' type, but looked like a potato. The couple were so woefully mismatched. She was completely uptight and he was a total manchild. Quite a few sources say they're divorced which is a HUGE surprise.

I mean, it was no Frank Spencer on an empty cruise ship, but at least he tried.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I don't remember the girl from that one but I remember the guy being a sentient mass of red flags.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I know there is probably a huge Doctor Who Thread but I'm terrified of it, being an extremely casual watcher. Anyway, I saw last night's episode and came up with a really dark theory. I want to share it and see what other people think.

. *spoilers, obviously*

So now Clara knows when and how she will die, she can hold it off till she's ready. As she is technically dead, she's pretty much an immortal zombie of sorts. She also has a Tardis and can go all over time and get into space japes. However if she gets injured, she can't heal. She gets more and more decrepid until she gets robot replacements. After however many years she is merely a head, but still living as she cannot die. A Dalek unit is found which can support her. She is mistaken as one, captured and put in a prison on Galifray. Do you remember that Dalek that was begging for extermination in the crypt? Boom.

My friend also suggested perhaps it is Me in there (Exterminate Me) or maybe Clara got hosed over by Me (Exterminate Me!!) and could also make Clara the Hybrid?

Anyway that is my theory I hope you like it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not kept up with Who since that one episode about white cubes which was 2 hours long and insanely boring, but I watched last week's and it was pretty good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, of course that is what happened. :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'll come back to Doctor Who when it starts being entertaining again, instead of Steven Moffat wanking himself off over his overarching mythos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'll come back to Doctor Who when it starts being entertaining again, instead of Steven Moffat wanking himself off over his overarching mythos.

As opposed to Russell T Davis just wanking himself off over nothing in particular and filming the results.

(Doctor Who was never good except as an excuse to look at Karen Gillan).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The sets and props and things are usually pretty nice

And Peter Capaldi is just great.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Christmas special has River-bloody-song in it again. :(

She was fun once, may be twice, but give it a loving rest.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

The sets and props and things are usually pretty nice

And Peter Capaldi is just great.

That is the main reason I've been watching it TBH, that and my other half likes it so I watch it with him. I'm not aware really of any of the back stories and stuff, which drives him crazy when he has to explain who that is and where that is :D

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The last season and the current one are pretty good imho. (It helps that the current one is light on the myth arc). Especially after the lakckluster Season 7.

englerp fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 6, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

englerp posted:

The last season and the current one are pretty good imho.

Was the last season the one that opened with the dinosaur episode? Because that was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Angrymog posted:

Christmas special has River-bloody-song in it again. :(

She was fun once, may be twice, but give it a loving rest.

It's got Matt Lucas and Greg Davis though as well, which will be fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

As opposed to Russell T Davis just wanking himself off over nothing in particular and filming the results.
RTD's got his hang ups (and he loves his off tone moments) but they were never this bad.

Hell, I don't think that spin off that they're trying to do (On BBC3. A channel that's reached a Zenith of being complete arse not seen since the day Toonami UK fell into Live Action Austrian hell) will reach even an n'th of what Torchwood and SJA did as much as they are DESPERATE to pull it off.

Smith and Capaldi have been wasted as The Doctor as things stand and it's really not fair on them.

Steve2911 posted:

Was the last season the one that opened with the dinosaur episode? Because that was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Oh, christ. Why did you have to remind me :barf:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 6, 2015

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I tried to like it, I tried so so hard - but eventually had to accept that it's a bad dumb show for poo babies.

The last episode I watched was the moon egg one where the writer was framing the prioritising of the lives of an entire planet's worth of human beings over some mad mystery moon egg creature as being really shameful and selfish. I got SO MAD. Also I was quite drunk and for some reason took it as a commentary on Scottish independence, so was shouting "how dare you" quite a lot until I could be subdued.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Yeah it's a bad programme for normal adult people. If kids or nerds are into it I can accept that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

netally posted:

The couple were so woefully mismatched. She was completely uptight and he was a total manchild.
They need more of these, because this is basically every kind of met in a bar and settled cause we're late 20s now relationship, aka every lovely update on my facebook feed.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
So in London Spy the world's smartest spy hides a lie detector which wouldn't work anyway unless we really do live in David-Icke-land behind the first combination you'd try if you were brute forcing it :flaccid:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was in A&E last week, and apart from the one man who SCREAMED ABOUT THE POLICE FOR HOURS, the main thing I remember is the man in the next bay over explaining the plot of the last episode of doctor who to his friend in great detail. "No no, you see, he's angry about Clara, and he's so angry he's gonna punch that diamond wall for 2 million years and still be angry, dude could have used a chisel or a hammer something but no... He's really angry! You see, Clara..."

It went on for about 10 minutes and he ended it with, "And so you see, it all happened within the confession dial, bigger on the inside!"

It was all very informative, I couldn't really be bothered to follow that episode at all. I liked the first few seasons, with Rose and Christopher Eccelston and throwaway plots like or "everyone is trapped in cars" or "the world is now big brother", but it really is all getting a bit too wanky now.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

I was in A&E last week, and apart from the one man who SCREAMED ABOUT THE POLICE FOR HOURS, the main thing I remember is the man in the next bay over explaining the plot of the last episode of doctor who to his friend in great detail. "No no, you see, he's angry about Clara, and he's so angry he's gonna punch that diamond wall for 2 million years and still be angry, dude could have used a chisel or a hammer something but no... He's really angry! You see, Clara..."

It went on for about 10 minutes and he ended it with, "And so you see, it all happened within the confession dial, bigger on the inside!"

The way I see it, although 4.5 billion years passed while he was trapped inside it, it was a reset Doctor that popped out every time he died and resurrected. So, in his last reincarnation, he just ran around a bit, threw the chair out the window, found room 12 and punched the diamond wall once and it shattered. Piss easy.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

tentish klown posted:

The way I see it, although 4.5 billion years passed while he was trapped inside it, it was a reset Doctor that popped out every time he died and resurrected. So, in his last reincarnation, he just ran around a bit, threw the chair out the window, found room 12 and punched the diamond wall once and it shattered. Piss easy.

Yeah this is right. He basically went through like 4.5 billion times doing the same thing and coming to the exact same conclusion every time. I thought that was quite neat, especially when they showed his "thought process"

To be honest Doctor Who sits in that gap where its good for kids and has enough for the geeky older fans. I stick it on while Im doing something else as I dont have to pay 100% attention to it, and usually afterward I read a review and realise there were poo poo loads of call backs that I missed that I wouldnt have understood anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know adult people with real and important jobs who think it is art.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wormophile posted:

I tried to like it, I tried so so hard - but eventually had to accept that it's a bad dumb show for poo babies.

My biggest issue with Dr Who is that it feels like very lazy Sci-Fi. So many issues are solved by something totally random and it removes any sort of drama for me.
If any situation can be solved by "Well it turns out I have this device that fixes everything that's going wrong" then it's just boring.

Yes other shows do it but most of them at least try and tie it into what's happened in earlier episodes. It never feels quite so egregious. And there's more characters so more interpersonal stuff.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I know adult people with real and important jobs who think it is art.

I like watching it and talking about it to friends but I CANNOT BE ARSED to learn the ridiculous and convoluted 50 odd years of back story. Just give me Bertie Bassett being bad and The Cleaners in Paradise Towers, and then I'll go hate-watch Don't Tell the Bride.

I always think he is more protective and loving of her in a Father-like way, I get fed up when there has to be a love story in every single programme or film.

VVVVVVVV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 7, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They have the standard problem of there having to be sexual tension. Thousand year old, multiple-times married alien, but he has to go gooey over the first random bint who rams her way into his box. It cannot be a story if people are not wanting to kiss each other on the face.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Yep, the companion stuff is so odd to me. Clara is awful - I think that's something a lot of fans agree on, but she's sooo dull. And you'll get fans justifying the contradictions in the relationships between characters, and the weird tone shifts, the plotholes etc. when it's clear to anyone else that it's just pisspoor writing. Probably a result of all the different egotistical fanboy writers they employ who just have to leave their legacy on the series.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Taear posted:

My biggest issue with Dr Who is that it feels like very lazy Sci-Fi. So many issues are solved by something totally random and it removes any sort of drama for me.
If any situation can be solved by "Well it turns out I have this device that fixes everything that's going wrong" then it's just boring.

Yes other shows do it but most of them at least try and tie it into what's happened in earlier episodes. It never feels quite so egregious. And there's more characters so more interpersonal stuff.

The focus on this is why other sci-fi shows are a niche concern and Doctor Who, which largely drops it from the plot whenever it's useful to do so, is popular worldwide. People like characters, drama and tense moments. Sci-fi based on imaginary technologies is, well, dead. You can't keep it interesting because the technology isn't real, so at some point the audience will realise that what actually resolves the plot every week isn't technical genius in action but is just some slight of hand with the writing. The problems in Doctor Who for the past season have been about the Doctor's relationship with Clara, which is why all the people who have a mysteriously passionate hate for a fictional character are upset - you can't get involved with a show where the stakes are the relationship between two characters if you hate one of them and spend every episode hoping the relationship will cease to exist. Tbh, if you hate one of the two main characters in a show you're basically never going to enjoy it whatever happens so it's a bit odd that people bother watching.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

josh04 posted:

it's a bit odd that people bother watching.

They're not watching, which is why the ratings have dropped through the floor.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

goatface posted:

They have the standard problem of there having to be sexual tension. Thousand year old, multiple-times married alien, but he has to go gooey over the first random bint who rams her way into his box. It cannot be a story if people are not wanting to kiss each other on the face.

I think that's kinda stopped since Peter Capaldi took over, because only the most hardcore of fan girls want to gently caress him and there's a decent age gap between him and Clara. The Smith/Tennant eras were awful for those kind of storylines though.

I feel like Dr Who should just go back to its roots and be mostly for kids, with some PG rated scares and lots of colourful aliens. A bit like the Sarah Jane Adventures.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Children's telly is dead, there is only room for (wo)manchild telly now.

Maybe Doctor Who would work better if the Doctor was actually a CBeebies presenter, talking to the camera and gently leading people through mild peril to show them the wonders of the universe. A sort of Brian Cox for the even more documentary-averse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'd been led to believe this series was a lot better than recent ones and caught the series finale, having only watched the first episode of this series. I feel far too many people are willing to forgive what is a really boring story because it has cool moments and a fun aesthetic. Like the bit with the Dalek in the 'database' - unashamedly cool moment. Story? Characters? Bleh. Doctor being trapped in some time thing (apparently?). Yeah, really cool. Everything else, like some Tardis diner with some Viking girl? Meh. Bit lame actually. If anything it just needs to strip itself way way back from the pseudo-complicated wank. Camp is fine but boring is unforgivable.