Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mojo Jojo posted:

How is that better? It looks non functional

Looks like its function is to scratch your cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SynthOrange posted:

I've got Carc base + Inns and Cathedrals + Traders and Builders. Seems a nice level of complexity without it getting obnoxious. Could any more expansions be comfortably thrown on top of that?

Regarding this, I dragged my feet getting traders and builders for a long time and just found out they have a new printing with totally new artwork for the base and up to traders/builders AFAIK. Do these still work with the original printing of the game?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have a tough request. If I want a game for an elderly relative to play this Christmas but they have a poor memory and sub-par motor skills, any suggestions?

Splendor?

Big, thick poker chips, simple rules, and it is color matching. If you are concerned about memory issues, you could come up with a rules reference card, print it out and hand it out to all players that play (even though it is only for grandma really).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SUSD have started their 'top 50 games' series again. http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-50-games-ever-50-41/ - odd on Cosmic Encounter being #1 again?

Chill la Chill posted:

Regarding this, I dragged my feet getting traders and builders for a long time and just found out they have a new printing with totally new artwork for the base and up to traders/builders AFAIK. Do these still work with the original printing of the game?

AFAIK the tiles are the same size and have the same features, the new artwork is just subjectively 'prettier'. (I personally dislike the new cities as the blue roofs make the tile look overly busy)

shows both types of tile in the same map.

EDIT: Just remembered, some of the new tiles have additional features used by the Abbot mini-expansion they added to the new base set. I don't know if these new features are on the reprinted expansion tiles though.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 7, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Zark the Damned posted:

SUSD have started their 'top 50 games' series again. http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-50-games-ever-50-41/ - odd on Cosmic Encounter being #1 again?

Everyone bet what place Dead of Winter will get. I'll say 8th.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Some of the expansion tiles have extra information on them, like hills, wheel of fortune numbers, and vineyards (I think?) but you can just ignore them if you like.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lichtenstein posted:

Everyone bet what place Dead of Winter will get. I'll say 8th.

I'll say 16, and I'll make a bonus prediction of Pandemic Legacy making the top 3. And even though SU&SD isn't as good as they once were, Pandemic Legacy really is that good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zark the Damned posted:

AFAIK the tiles are the same size and have the same features, the new artwork is just subjectively 'prettier'. (I personally dislike the new cities as the blue roofs make the tile look overly busy)

shows both types of tile in the same map.

EDIT: Just remembered, some of the new tiles have additional features used by the Abbot mini-expansion they added to the new base set. I don't know if these new features are on the reprinted expansion tiles though.

Why is Space Cadets in their top 44 games of all time

Why

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Selecta84 posted:

Ah, ok.

Does it have any sort or manipulating the dice or something like that? Or other strategic elements?

Yeah. Unlike Yahtzee where you can lock any number of dice and reroll twice, you can only reroll the entire set of 5 dice unless you spend a Focus token. For each Focus token you spend you can reroll that number of dice and keep the others locked. So, spend two Focus tokens, roll two dice. Spend none, roll 5.

Additionally, there are Feat cards and tokens and Swag cards and Money tokens. Feat cards have a cost in Feat tokens. Before or after any roll you can use a Feat card if you can afford it. These cards can change dice or give rerolls, etc. At the end of the round you go to the market where you can buy Swag cards for Money. Swag cards are equipment that you can exhaust before or after rolls or may have permanent effects.

So, there are 6 areas. Each area may give you a specific type of token for going there or give you a special ability like switching out a Feat card for another one. Additionally, the monster on the area will come out with some of the aforementioned tokens. As soon as you land on the area, you take all the tokens in that area as well as use the special area ability.

Roll the dice, do rerolls, manipulate dice with Feat or Swag, and try to make the pattern necessary to kill the monster on the space.

There's a little more to it than that, but these are too many words spent on this game already. It's a very, very simple dice chucking game with very few very unimportant decisions to make that lasts far too long for what it is.

MikeCrotch posted:

Why is Space Cadets in their top 44 games of all time

Why

They have terrible opinions on games?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Oldstench posted:

Yeah. Unlike Yahtzee where you can lock any number of dice and reroll twice, you can only reroll the entire set of 5 dice unless you spend a Focus token. For each Focus token you spend you can reroll that number of dice and keep the others locked. So, spend two Focus tokens, roll two dice. Spend none, roll 5.

Additionally, there are Feat cards and tokens and Swag cards and Money tokens. Feat cards have a cost in Feat tokens. Before or after any roll you can use a Feat card if you can afford it. These cards can change dice or give rerolls, etc. At the end of the round you go to the market where you can buy Swag cards for Money. Swag cards are equipment that you can exhaust before or after rolls or may have permanent effects.

So, there are 6 areas. Each area may give you a specific type of token for going there or give you a special ability like switching out a Feat card for another one. Additionally, the monster on the area will come out with some of the aforementioned tokens. As soon as you land on the area, you take all the tokens in that area as well as use the special area ability.

Roll the dice, do rerolls, manipulate dice with Feat or Swag, and try to make the pattern necessary to kill the monster on the space.

There's a little more to it than that, but these are too many words spent on this game already. It's a very, very simple dice chucking game with very few very unimportant decisions to make that lasts far too long for what it is.

Sounds like I will pass on that one.

Thanks

So are there any good Cthulhu games? And I don't mean Arkam Horror or Eldar Signs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Madmarker posted:

Splendor?

Big, thick poker chips, simple rules, and it is color matching. If you are concerned about memory issues, you could come up with a rules reference card, print it out and hand it out to all players that play (even though it is only for grandma really).

Thanks.

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm seeing more than a couple of games that I remember them not being too keen on in their reviews, like Witness and Space Cadets. Also I can say that if you pick up any Coup games G54 is by far the best, sadly Indie Boards & Cards are poo poo lords so you might want to skip supporting them at all.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Selecta84 posted:

Sounds like I will pass on that one.

Thanks

So are there any good Cthulhu games? And I don't mean Arkam Horror or Eldar Signs.

The thread hivemind tends to recommend Eldritch Horror as a less bad version of Arkham Horror

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canyoneer posted:

Had some friends over tonight. Wife said, "hey, last time we didn't get to play [friend]'s game. We should play it this time. Ever heard of Smash Up? Does it come recommended?"

No, it doesn't come highly recommended. So I endured my first game of Smash Up today. Let me give my short, honest review:
The game itself was not that bad for the first 90% of it.
The rules are hot garbage, written in a totally embarrassing meme speak affect. There's also zero clarification within the rules as to specific triggering order on abilities/effects or how the cards interact, and there's no FAQ. There's even an unofficial fan/apologists wiki that sets out some "house rule" variants to clear up the confusion in those stupid interactions.
The game suffers greatly (like Munchkin!) from the kingmaker effect at the end game when it appears someone is close to winning, and makes the entire thing un-fun.

Never again!

I have a similar opinion of it. I have a friend who LOVES it, and she tries to get it to the table on a regular basis, so I play a game or two a month. To expand on your opinion a little bit:

-They sell the game as a 'shuffle builder' (or whatever it's called), but to a new player the factions are all very opaque. There are certainly duds among the possible combinations, and realizing that you've hit on one of them 4 turns into the game is painful. Once you realize top level strategies for your factions, and understand the interaction with the other factions in play, there's really nothing more to it than playing what you're dealt. It's a slightly more interactive version of War.

- I agree with your diagnosis of M:TG with unclear rules and resolutions. Nearly every game I've played has had some fiddly little edge case between two cards interacting where we have to check the almanac, find the rule isn't clarified, and then agree to make something up.

- Adding up numbers constantly isn't a fun mechanic. Maybe if the strategy was deeper it would ease past the pain / tedium of keeping a constant eye on 3 or 4 different running tallies, but it's not. Playing something like robots means that I'm constantly counting and recounting numbers either for me or my opponent. It's a lovely little bit of accounting that's baked into the core of the game. This was actually a really useful thing for me to learn in my own prototypes I've played around with: either make the math fun, or make it really simple, because tedious constant accounting is not enjoyable.

- The kingmaker poo poo is terrible. Once you're within 2 or 3 points of victory all of the "gently caress you" card design becomes painfully clear. And there is a LOT of "gently caress you" card design.

- Obviously the sense of humor is incredibly bland, meme-based nerd chuckling about combining a bunch of 'hey, I recognize that character / catch phrase / idea!' Cthulhu-monkey-kitten-pirates, oh hoh hoh.

I guess if I had to say anything positive about the game it's that at least there is an action economy, and that there aren't conflicting resources. The art, even if it's for a terrible theme, is actually pretty good, and the cards have good graphic design. I recognize it's a bad game, but I can tolerate a game every now and then to make a friend happy, and it perversely scratches an itch from when I used to play Magic, which is watching a bunch of stuff click together into a combo.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

I've sort of got the impression that Cthulhu Wars is a reasonably ok Chaos in the Old World -like, but haven't actually played it. Definitely has been discussed in the thread at the time it came out, so might be good idea checking that talk.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey what's the goonsensus on Fairy Tale? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13823/fairy-tale

I tried it the other day and found it scratched the itch of being a light fun drafting game much better than 7 wonders does and with much less set up and fiddly bits. I haven't heard a lot of people either recommending it or talking about it (likely because it was a 2004 release) but I just wanted to check to see if there was some problem with it that kept it from catching widespread acceptance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's okay for a drafting game, and it plugs a gap between Sushi Go and 7 Wonders, but I find it hard to have strong feelings about drafting games, in the end they have a similar feel to each other.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

- The kingmaker poo poo is terrible. Once you're within 2 or 3 points of victory all of the "gently caress you" card design becomes painfully clear. And there is a LOT of "gently caress you" card design.

The egregious problem with Smash Up (a problem that even the worst of these games usually avoid) is that some of the factions have a lot of directed aggression and some have very little. This guarantees that the game balance doesn't hold up as you change the number of players; your "kill a dude of your choice" or "prevent the next thing an opponent would do" type cards are reasonably strong at 2 players, but when you play them at 4 players, they're terrible - you'd much rather further your own development than hurt one other person's.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jmzero posted:

The egregious problem with Smash Up (a problem that even the worst of these games usually avoid) is that some of the factions have a lot of directed aggression and some have very little. This guarantees that the game balance doesn't hold up as you change the number of players; your "kill a dude of your choice" or "prevent the next thing an opponent would do" type cards are reasonably strong at 2 players, but when you play them at 4 players, they're terrible - you'd much rather further your own development than hurt one other person's.

Yeah, and then if you have one of those 'gently caress you' factions, you really don't have any meaningful input other than screwing over the current leader while you can't really do anything to play catch-up. That leads to situations where it's everyone screwing the current guy who's 3 points from winning while the close second place sneaks in for victory. What really sucks is accidentally getting two factions that have the same sort of support role by accident, and realizing that you have no minion power to even conceivably win the game.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Are there any Pearl Harbor games beyond Battleship?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dr Tran posted:

Are there any Pearl Harbor games beyond Battleship?

empire of the sun

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

It's okay for a drafting game, and it plugs a gap between Sushi Go and 7 Wonders, but I find it hard to have strong feelings about drafting games, in the end they have a similar feel to each other.

And none of those feelings resemble MTG draft :negative:

On the topic of Smash Up, I hate it because my friend keeps comparing WH40K: Conquest to "it's just Smash Up," which makes me irrationally (rationally?) hate him and his dumb opinions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Let's design a cube draft format for AGoT2e, gramps. Also, the Netrunner Stimhack cube is pretty awesome and if you use an old revision you don't even need a million cards!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I actually really like Netrunner draft and with the new identities that actually give a reason to stay within a faction, maybe signalling will finally become a thing :unsmith:

I'm not sure how AGOT2 draft would work. I'm sure we can speculate and plan in the LCG thread, but I don't know if it'd be best to put plots as part of the draft or not. Also I am wondering how signaling would work, although there are some pretty easy lines to draw there. Hmm.

VVV I always thought Consulting Detective: Lovecraft edition would have been pretty good, but then I realized Trails of Cthulhu exists so fuckit.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Selecta84 posted:

With Mr. Squiddles on the box cover? Not really. They're almost universally a means of dumping garbage into the yawning nerd-maw.

Even if Eldritch Horror is passable, and Cthulhu Wars is alright, and Mansions of Madness is actually an engaging sort of trainwreck after you buy two $80 boxes and a mini-expansion, there's never been a Cthulhu game that measures up to the ideas of the Mythos. Because the Mythos is about unknowable horror and blind struggle against oppressive fate and fear of a world overtaken by black people strange alien chaos. But most "Lovecraft-inspired" games just use Cthulhu as a big ol' dire mind flayer that you can shoot with earth bullets.

Y'know what game actually feels most like Lovecraft? Tragedy Looper. Seriously. You're struggling against an alien, near-omnipotent presence that you can't actually defeat. All you can do is survive with a minimal number of casualties, knowing that the Mastermind is still out there beyond space, waiting to torture you again at any moment. THAT is what the Mythos is about.

And if you're turned off because the box cover features anime schoolchildren instead of belligerent calamari, just pretend you're playing the board game adaptation of this.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gutter Owl posted:

Y'know what game actually feels most like Lovecraft? Tragedy Looper. Seriously. You're struggling against an alien, near-omnipotent presence that you can't actually defeat. All you can do is survive with a minimal number of casualties, knowing that the Mastermind is still out there beyond space, waiting to torture you again at any moment. THAT is what the Mythos is about.

I whisper quietly "so Talisman is a Mythos game..."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will adamantly say that given some heavy theme elements, Agricola/Caverna would make for the best Cthulhu game. You have your workers investigating or trying to fend off horrors as their jobs and instead of going hungry they go insane (so "food" in this case would be materials that keep them from doing so). It's really too sad that Rosenberg loves the farming theme because those games would make for a great number of themes if they went the Steve Jackson route. They could have you take over the world. Or have it be about making gundams to continue fighting against the rebels/Zeon. Or about constructing the death star. Any number of things really.

It would be a net gain for the boardgaming community since it's such a fantastic game.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

SynthOrange posted:

Also I got sucked into the terrifying world of 'Sure the Dominions box stores cards okay, but could it be BETTER?'

I'd ditch the stock insert altogether at that point. Or just buy a new insert.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Dominion, I got my copy yesterday and sorted all the cards...am I supposed to have 11 of each Kingdom card? Because the rules say each supply deck is only supposed to have 10 cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of Dominion, I got my copy yesterday and sorted all the cards...am I supposed to have 11 of each Kingdom card? Because the rules say each supply deck is only supposed to have 10 cards.

One of each should have a different colored back and are used as randomizers.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't even understand how Smash Up appeals to the It's Just Fun crowd. It doesn't feel like the minions are smashing things or beating each other up, it feels like they're sitting around until their total power adds up to a certain threshold. Say what you will about Sentinels, at least you can deal damage to things.

I guess it really doesn't take anything more than "Ninja Robots vs Alien Zombies !!" to get nerds excited.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't even understand how Smash Up appeals to the It's Just Fun crowd. It doesn't feel like the minions are smashing things or beating each other up, it feels like they're sitting around until their total power adds up to a certain threshold. Say what you will about Sentinels, at least you can deal damage to things.

I guess it really doesn't take anything more than "Ninja Robots vs Alien Zombies !!" to get nerds excited.

:ssh: All the normie dum-dums that claim to like "thematic" games really just like things with lots of flavor text and pictures of zombies/space marines/fantasy elves on them and don't actually care if the mechanics of the game in any way convey that theme, or even if the mechanics are in any way "good" :ssh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Some Numbers posted:

Also the randomizers are dumb and should not be used. They can make you have really boring games without any good interactions-- once I had a game with like no extra +action cards, and made the game really lame.

Use a lot of the recommended kingdoms you can find online. Way better than ever using randomizers unless you are masochistic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, that occurred to me a little after I posted, but I didn't think that was the case because...

jeeves posted:

Also the randomizers are dumb and should not be used. They can make you have really boring games without any good interactions-- once I had a game with like no extra +action cards, and made the game really lame.

Use a lot of the recommended kingdoms you can find online. Way better than ever using randomizers unless you are masochistic.
..this is what I've seen mentioned a lot of places. Hell, even the instructions give you recommended layouts.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Alternately, use the randomizer and then tune it to your preference once you get enough experience to cast Detect Horrible Kingdom.

Speaking of silly mythos games, I think The Stars Are Right does a decent job at emulating humanity's complete and utter inability to recognize patterns as they slowly sink into analysis paralysis and, eventually, madness. Not recommended, but perhaps overly thematic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Scyther posted:

:ssh: All the normie dum-dums that claim to like "thematic" games really just like things with lots of flavor text and pictures of zombies/space marines/fantasy elves on them and don't actually care if the mechanics of the game in any way convey that theme, or even if the mechanics are in any way "good" :ssh:

There are bad games that still feel like whatever their theme is supposed to be, though. Betrayal is a complete mess of a game where the first half is a glorified setup phase with no meaningful decisions and the second half is so unbalanced that the outcome is decided before anyone makes a move. But I can't say it doesn't feel like I'm wandering around a weird house seeing random creepy stuff, then trying to escape from giant spiders or whatever. The mechanics may not be expertly geared to match what the flavor says is happening, but they don't work directly against it.

Smash-up is just so :geno: at every level. The only time I played it, I was dinosaurs but couldn't have them eat other minions because having high power doesn't let you do that. Instead it's a marginal advantage at having the most points of control in a base once its threshold is reached except some dinosaurs had arbitrary conditions like only having higher power during other players' turns so when you do the two-digit addition you jesus christ pandemic involved more smashing up than this

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

The best way to play Dominion is to shuffle all the card together and make up piles of 10 random cards. That way you can play with all the kingdoms at once! :D

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I honestly kinda like smash up if you do four things

1) randomize everyone's factions, reroll if it looks like someone's gonna absolutely wipe the floor (robots/zombies, etc)
2) only ever play with three players
3) play with one less base than the game tells you to (three bases for the aforementioned three players)
4) use d20s to track base health

It, as previously stated, scratches the mtg itch that still lurks deep inside me

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

The best way to play Dominion is to shuffle all the card together and make up piles of 10 random cards. That way you can play with all the kingdoms at once! :D

you're trying too hard, take it from an 11 to a 6 thanks in advance

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I usually play Dominion with a random layouts and let everyone veto one card to be replaced with a new blind draw, but whatever works. The only wrong way to play Dominion is to not play Dominion at all (or to play it as Rutibex suggested but that goes without saying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The friend I mentioned who likes Smash Up is one of what you all would probably call 'normie'. She's not really all that nerdy, and got into Boardgames because a few of her friends (including me) are interested in the hobby. I think that if you've never played M:TG, then Smash Up has a lot to offer at first glance. It might be the first time you get the really enjoyable feeling of figuring out combos in a cardpool, and then setting those into motion in order to destroy an enemy. She also likes Dominion, but Smash Up is a lot easier to play and set up than Dominion is, and (even though it's worse in terms of design) gives a much more immediate feeling of power.

jeeves posted:

I would absolutely not recommend this. The action economy is a major aspect of Dominion's design, and learning how to work in limited action boards is a really rewarding part of gameplay.