Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That guy sounds like he could make anything sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hey muike, I know I've talked to you about this before, but are a calibrated pair of nailbombs worth it, or is the bridge alone the go to option?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

For what it's worth I never really clicked with the nailbomb neck in the neck of a guitar.

I'd like to try the neck in the bridge though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

moctopus posted:

For what it's worth I never really clicked with the nailbomb neck in the neck of a guitar.

I'd like to try the neck in the bridge though.

I agree with this opinion but I think the reason this is the case is cuz of the way I EQ my bridge pickup sounds. I feel like under other circumstances the neck nailbomb would be perfect. It's a really great pickup but I feel like maybe it doesn't match up with the ceramic version of the bridge nailbomb perfectly for me.

I'm mainly a bridge pickup person anyway. Just got a PK neck and it's perfect for me, though the output is noticabely less than the NB in the bridge.

Personally I'd probably just get the bridge nailbomb unless you really feel your current neck pickup is lacking.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I also recommend the DiMarzio Dominion, it's reminiscent of the Nailbomb, though a bit hairier, and the neck model is one of my favorites around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muike posted:

The HM2 is the Gothenburg sound, while the Metal Zone is the toiletburg sound

:shrug: it had good reviews so I figured I'd try it out. Thanks?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hey if it works for you go for it. It's just a fun punching bag. I guarantee there are plenty of people perfectly happy with it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If you can learn to really use the parametric EQ, you can have a lot of fun with a Metal Zone. The problem is that most people get it when they're 13 and don't have any idea how sound works or the patience to experiment with it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

After The War posted:

If you can learn to really use the parametric EQ, you can have a lot of fun with a Metal Zone. The problem is that most people get it when they're 13 and don't have any idea how sound works or the patience to experiment with it.

SCOOP THE FUCKIN MIDS

Parametric EQs are the tits though

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Anyone got some nice fingerstyle xmas arrangements to share?

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

KyloWinter posted:

Anyone got some nice fingerstyle xmas arrangements to share?

Sungha Jung's arrangement of "Last Christmas" by Wham

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
So I bought a 6 string Halo baritone that I ended up returning because it had neck issues. I had been trying to tune a 24.5 scale les paul copy to B standard and occasionally dropped but the tuning and sound just doesn't hold up even though I have had it setup by different luthiers. Do you goons think a 25.5 inch scale would hold up any better for the baritone tuning purposes? I lt just occurred to me that I could get a decent 25.5 inch scale guitar for about half the price of the baritones I am looking at.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
What gauge of strings were you using?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Currently the samick AV-7 les paul copy has 70-13 cleartones has active emgs and grover tuners. Strings are currently too floppy and sounds like crap and has shifty tuning especially clean. I had it setup with 65-13 before. When tuned up to drop C, tuning and sound is greatly improved however it is murder on the old fingers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would probably get something longer than 25.5 if I was tuning to B standard. I can do a low B with a 58 or 60 on a 25.5 but it's not ideal in my opinion. But I don't like using super heavy strings, which, you don't seem to have any problem with. I imagine going up to 25.5 is gonna help out.

http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/ This might help you get an idea. You only get 1.1 pounds more tension on a 64 tuned to B if you switch up to 25.5, but it's a start.

I should note that those are based on D'addario strings. Though unless it's using a different string construction, other brands won't be too far off.

muike fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
On my old 7 string with a 25.5" scale neck I used a regular 10-52 D'addario set with a 72 for the low B and it was alright. It'd get a little rubber bandish if I dropped down to A though.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Talk me out of or into the Epiphone Les Paul Standard

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have you played one? Have you played the exact one you're going to buy? Which one is it?

There are alternatives I would consider, but it's not necessarily a bad choice.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

muike posted:

Have you played one? Have you played the exact one you're going to buy? Which one is it?

There are alternatives I would consider, but it's not necessarily a bad choice.

I've played a couple, but there isn't a particular one I've picked out. What are the alternatives? I'm still sort of shopping around. It won't be my first guitar but it'll be my first non pawn store electric.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I've played a couple, but there isn't a particular one I've picked out. What are the alternatives? I'm still sort of shopping around. It won't be my first guitar but it'll be my first non pawn store electric.

Agile makes great LP copies for around the same price with better quality control/components. Honestly, I have played enough Epiphones to caution anyone from buying any of them without spending a good amount of time inspecting them to make sure they are not screwed up in some way.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard goldtop from 2013. It's a fine guitar. Well put together, no real fit and finish issues. The neck is a little chunkier than I prefer and the single cutaway hates me trying to do anything up the neck but that's a personal thing. I should say that they typically retail for around AU$7-800 here, but I got it for AU$400. Actually it was originally for a friend and we split it and then I ended up with it when he decided to give up on guitar. Whatever, it's a nice guitar and nicer still for AU$200.

I've not got the luxury of getting an Agile because with conversion and shipping I'd be looking at the same price bracket and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so I can't speak to that, but I've heard great things about Agile and if not for the price I would absolutely get one in Root Beer.

The Standard is great though. It's the classic Les Paul, but cheaper. You don't get super fancy finishes and bursts like you would a Gibson but it still feels like a real Les Paul, whatever that means. So it's great. I would not recommend a Special or any of the bolt-ons though.

In fairness, I should point out two flaws:
1) The jack is a pain. The nut on the outside likes to slowly unscrew over time, so you have to check now and then to make sure it's secure and not about to fall off. I lent the LP to a friend who did not realise this. We had to go hunting for the nut and then unscrew the plate to put it back together. No lasting harm, and not difficult, but a bit of a pain.
2) The toggle switch on mine is broken. I tried out another in a store and it had the exact same problem, brand new. Basically the switch decides that switching to the neck pickup really means you want minimal sound from that pickup. Bridge is fine but middle setting means "bridge, with a bit of noise". Again, simple fix but I haven't gotten around to it.

I have no idea if these are inherent to the Les Paul design on the cheaper end, but they're the only two problems I've had. It's not my number one but I still use it a lot when my G&L and Schecter don't do it for whatever reason. It's just a different feel. Hope that helps a bit!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try out an LTD EC256 too. They're really good value for the money, and I like the fact that they're a lot lighter than a les paul. Like unlawfulsoup said, agiles are great too, but they're heavy as hell

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

muike posted:

Try out an LTD EC256 too. They're really good value for the money, and I like the fact that they're a lot lighter than a les paul. Like unlawfulsoup said, agiles are great too, but they're heavy as hell

Yeah, Agiles are basically emergency crowd control weapons as well as instruments. That LTD is another excellent choice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have played a couple Epi LP Standards, they ranged from mediocre to pretty decent. You're pretty guaranteed to want to swap out the pickups before too long but you can get a decent pair from guitarfetish.

Big thing apart from is that particularly on the epiphones but even on the gibsons once in a while you will inexplicably get 300kohm pots instead of 500s which makes the tone pots really weird. Beyond that it's just the normal poking and feeling and playing it and yeah just loving play it in person. Or go Sweetwater, I guess? I understand that they let you just say "yeah I'm not really feeling it" in the first month or so and will do a return. Check with that first.

And yeah Agiles aren't bad build quality they're just heavy as gently caress because solid mahogany is a loving brick. They have a couple chambered models usually though around the $400ish range I think? Check that.

e: probably check ESPs too yeah. The knockoff I have was made in a chinese ESP factory but the branding got shut down by angry letters from Gibson about it because it was pretty much a comparable/better guitar than the Epi Standards for less cash. Still it speaks pretty well of the quality of that factory that they can get a $350 guitar that feels drat good so check em out

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 5, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Am I the only one who hates everything about heavy guitars? They feel like clunky chunks of poo poo and to my ears lighter guitars always sound better and feel more responsive. The whole idea of an 11 lb LP being the pinnacle of tone makes me depressed for the guitar community.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You're not alone. I would definitely not play with a 10 lb guitar on my neck and shoulders, and I find you can change your ~~tonez~~ most easily by just holding the drat pick differently, but tonedads don't want to hear that so they just chase Clapton/Page/Hendrix/whoever's tone by using the same gear when you really need to do black magic and eat their fingers. Or just say gently caress it and do your own tone.

e: And if you do perform the ritual you have to guard your precious magic fingers from all the people who now want to eat them

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 5, 2015

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Am I the only one who hates everything about heavy guitars? They feel like clunky chunks of poo poo and to my ears lighter guitars always sound better and feel more responsive. The whole idea of an 11 lb LP being the pinnacle of tone makes me depressed for the guitar community.

My current faves are my 2008-ish MIJ Jazzmaster (8lbs 3oz) and my MiM Tele (7lbs 12oz). My '14 poor-man's Gibson LPJ only clocks in at 8lbs 5oz, although they are weight relieved. I had an Agile once - never again. The craftsmanship was upper Epiphone for sure, but the weight was like a stone hanging off me. My little poo poo scale only takes 11 lbs so I never knew how heavy it really was.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My 56 U2 only weighs 6lbs and it's made out of masonite.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ages ago one of my friends bought an epi les paul custom and it was so unexpectedly heavy that I almost fell over when he handed it to me to have a look. I was used to chucking around strats and acoustics so I didn't even know people made guitars that heavy.

Talk me out of or into the Epiphone Les Paul Standard

I don't really know what your options are, but you should take a look around and see what you like the feel of. If you're looking at the standards then check out the studios too, especially the ones with the satin finishes. They're basically the same guitar but I know a lot of people prefer the satin finish on the back of the neck to the gloss finish on the standard.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've fallen in love with my Jackson Dinky after putting it into Open C and sodding around with some drum loops. I was super-down on my ability to play the electric because I was always going through my BOSS ME-80 into my PC and the sound was coming out of my pc soundcard; it sounded small and whenever i recorded it was all out of time and glitchy. Thanks to the goons in the Home Recording thread I switched to using the ME-80 for both in and out, and it's amazing: there's no scrambling or glitching on recording or playback at all.

Here's a little clip of me doing one A Song A Day on the jackson, in that tuning, through reaper + Power MT Drums. I used an octave pedal to record the bass because sod retuning my p-bass: https://soundcloud.com/williamayerst/remember-thou-art-mortal

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I've got an epi les Paul tribute plus. It's got Gibson humbuckers and is pretty close to the real thing for a fifth of the price.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
Tell me about shipping guitars across the country! I have a friend who wants to move three guitars (acoustic/electric, strat, and a bass) across the country from his family home to his own home. He doesn't have hard cases for them yet, though I told him that that's probably the first step.

Any other tips? What shipping company does this best? What's the best way to pack them? etc.

I'm also going to ask my luthier, but I figure his suggestions will be the most crazy-cautious it can get, since he's shipping $5-10,000 instruments.

I appreciate any tips!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You'll be fine with gig bags, but double box and make sure there's at least 2 inches of insulation around it. Don't use newspaper because it crumples and stays crumpled, and can cost you a claim.

Music stores will have boxes, but if that's a no go furniture stores are your best bet. Appliance boxes can be cut down to size and they're far more sturdy than what guitar factories use.

I've always used UPS ground and never had a problem, but others will disagree. Get the insurance.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
In case you want crazy-cautious spelled out in all its glory, I bought one of my guitars from these folks: http://www.archtop.com/ac_shipping.html

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I need some technique help pals. I've been playing the (electric) guitar for about 20 years (dear god I feel old now), entirely self taught from a classical music instrument upbringing. My problem is that I grab the neck in my fist like I'm trying to choke the life out it, and, well after a short while, it hurts!

Are there any exercises I could be doing to fix the way that I hold the guitar with my left hand, so I don't end up with a deformed claw after I play?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I need some technique help pals. I've been playing the (electric) guitar for about 20 years (dear god I feel old now), entirely self taught from a classical music instrument upbringing. My problem is that I grab the neck in my fist like I'm trying to choke the life out it, and, well after a short while, it hurts!

Are there any exercises I could be doing to fix the way that I hold the guitar with my left hand, so I don't end up with a deformed claw after I play?

This seems a little condescending but... Play it like you did the classical guitar. Thumb on the back, not tensing your hand, fingers over the fretboard in a comfortable position. The only way you'll change that and not hurt yourself (and trust me you will) is to change your position now and stick to it. It'll be weird for a while but eventually it will feel normal and you won't have to worry about wrecking your wrist and hand.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I play at home and most recently with headphones from an amp modeller (Boss ME-80) but sometimes it's nice to hear out loud and I don't want to rule out gigging in the long term. I've tried tube amps and I can never crank them high enough to get a nice tone out of them without my wife screaming bloody murder. I mostly play straight clean with a little chorus/reverb/delay and so I've been looking at clean SS amps - of course the Roland JC series features prominently, but the 120/60/40 seem like they may just be a bit too much amp for someone who thus far hasn't played infront of anyone but errant squirrels in the back garden. Are the CUBEs going to give me that same lush tone as the JC? Seeing as it's not effect driven I figure it's a possibility - and if not can the JC being solid state give a decent sound at 'bedroom' volume levels?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Southern Heel posted:

I play at home and most recently with headphones from an amp modeller (Boss ME-80) but sometimes it's nice to hear out loud and I don't want to rule out gigging in the long term. I've tried tube amps and I can never crank them high enough to get a nice tone out of them without my wife screaming bloody murder. I mostly play straight clean with a little chorus/reverb/delay and so I've been looking at clean SS amps - of course the Roland JC series features prominently, but the 120/60/40 seem like they may just be a bit too much amp for someone who thus far hasn't played infront of anyone but errant squirrels in the back garden. Are the CUBEs going to give me that same lush tone as the JC? Seeing as it's not effect driven I figure it's a possibility - and if not can the JC being solid state give a decent sound at 'bedroom' volume levels?

The CUBEs are pretty nice and have a clean channel that's supposed to be a take on the JC series. Other options you'll see are the Vox Valvetronix and Fender Mustangs. If you're just playing in your room and want to mess around with some FX occasionally any of these will be spot on.

The actual JCs are probably a bit overkill for what you need; the 120 in particular is as loud as God's balls and twice as heavy. If you see one for cheap and you have the space then go for it. There's no law against having a big amp for home use.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I've tried tube amps and I can never crank them high enough to get a nice tone out of them without my wife screaming bloody murder.

One thing you can do about this is run a volume pedal in front of the tube amp, then turn it up at least enough to let it breathe some. Obviously you can do the same with the volume on the guitar, but I don't really like doing that because any sort of click or pop from turning a pedal on, loose cables, or scratchy pots winds up coming through at full volume.

JCs work fine at bedroom levels, unless you're using the distortion, which comes with some volume boost. Using the low input will help a bit. If you can find a used 77, they're smaller but still using stereo to do the lush chorus thing. Also, some of that tone is in the reverb, and in the speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I've seen some great reviews of the new Blackstar blueetooth stuff, you can use them as a speaker for your phone and play along and all that poo poo too:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/ranges/idcore-beam

Worth a look perhaps?