Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

40 lbs to freedom posted:

gkmc is so much of a better album it makes me more angry tbh

gkmc is the boring-rear end album everyone pretends tpab is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

that's the sound of a joke going over your head

alansmithee posted:

no, just no

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

alansmithee posted:

hmm

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

40 lbs to freedom posted:

gkmc is so much of a better album it makes me more angry tbh

Kendrick didn't win best rap album when he did deserve it and now he is going to win it when he doesn't deserve it.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

alansmithee posted:

why is it a boring rear end album

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Feature Kendrick is more fun than Album Kendrick, IMHO.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

the grammys are stupid and bad but it kind of owns that Drake got a nom for Back to Back

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Surprise: boring album formulated to win tons of Grammys and receive accolades from old white people is going to win tons of Grammys and receive accolades from old white people

Reminder that his "i" single swept the Grammys last year despite being the worst song he's ever recorded

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Surprise: boring album formulated to win tons of Grammys and receive accolades from old white people is going to win tons of Grammys and receive accolades from old white people

Reminder that his "i" single swept the Grammys last year despite being the worst song he's ever recorded

i isn't anywhere close to the worst song Kendrick has ever recorded, lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Yes, old white people are definitely the target audience for TPAB.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

pretty sure that most of the writers for pitchfork are young white people, actually

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Wiki's album is out http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2015/12/wiki-debut-album-lil-me-download/

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all mad about awards again

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

RBX posted:

Y'all mad about awards again

tbf this is a pretty hilarious list. I like how they couldn't find any white people to nominate this year so they decided to nominate Sir Paul's whistling skills

quote:

Best Rap Album
J. Cole, 2014 Forest Hills Drive
Dr. Dre, Compton
Drake, If Youre Reading This Its Too Late
Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly
Nicki Minaj, The Pinkprint

Best Rap Song
Kanye West feat. Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom & Paul McCartney, "All Day"
Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
Drake, "Energy"
Common & John Legend, "Glory"
Fetty Wap, "Trap Queen"

Best Rap Performance
J. Cole, "Apparently"
Drake, "Back to Back"
Fetty Wap, "Trap Queen"
Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
Nicki Minaj feat. Drake & Lil Wayne, "Truffle Butter"
Kanye West feat. Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom & Paul McCartney, "All Day"

I hope Trap Queen sweeps that poo poo because I wanna see Fetty accept an award. also what the gently caress does this category even mean

quote:

Best Urban Contemporary Album
The Internet, Ego Death
Kehlani, You Should Be Here
Lianne La Havas, Blood
Miguel, Wildheart
The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness

e: lol this is straight-up a segregated award for "pop music by people who aren't white" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Urban_Contemporary_Album

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 7, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Rap Music and Dope posted:

why is it a boring rear end album

I'd have to relisten to it (which I haven't done in forever) but I remember being totally bored with it outside of backseat freestyle, swimming pools, and maad city. The back half just drags entirely (isn't there like a 10 minute half-singing song?).

abraham linksys posted:

e: lol this is straight-up a segregated award for "pop music by people who aren't white" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Urban_Contemporary_Album
it's r&b that's too niche to be pop.

as an aside the whole idea of a "pop" genre has always seemed kinda strange to me since it's almost entirely defined after the fact. like you "graduate" from the actual genre categories to pop when you get famous, which is kinda silly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Compton

Alright

Back to Back

Though All Day should be there for best Rap Performance. And be that British Award show performance of All Day with the Flamethrowers and poo poo.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

alansmithee posted:

it's r&b that's too niche to be pop.

I'd believe this if the new Weeknd album didn't get nominated

quote:

On August 31, 2015, Billboard estimated that Beauty Behind the Madness would sell approximately 300,000 copies during the first week of its release in the United States.[41] The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 with 412,000 equivalent album units; it sold 326,000 copies in its first week, with the remainder of its unit total reflecting its streaming activity and track sales. Its number-one debut gave The Weeknd his first number-one album.[42] It remained atop the chart for the next two weeks and was the first album to spend three weeks at number one consecutively since Taylor Swift's 1989.[43][44] As of November 2015, Beauty Behind the Madness has sold 711,000 copies in the United States.[45]

but, y'know, "niche"

alansmithee posted:

as an aside the whole idea of a "pop" genre has always seemed kinda strange to me since it's almost entirely defined after the fact. like you "graduate" from the actual genre categories to pop when you get famous, which is kinda silly.

yea I do agree with this, IDK what the solution is though unless we invent new genres to replace the term "pop." Can't Feel My Face got nominated for best pop song though and that seems accurate

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2015

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

tpab is kendricks thoughts on the exploitation of blacks in america, self-hatred due to your skin color and issues such as black on black crime but its for Old White People or something and he made it purely for teh grammys. kendrick has a huge worldwide following and is using this opportunity to speak on issues he finds important. he's trying to actually make a positive change through his music (even if it might be a very small one). i get if you don't like the music on the album because of the "boring" production and the cheesy tupac interview skits but what's the point of putting kendrick down by saying his musics only for old white ppl. i've seen vince get harassed in the same way on twitter for making an album with (somewhat) similar themes. i'm just surprised at all the hate for summertime 06 and TPAB on the internet i guess (although i know this thread loves summertime 06)

alansmithee posted:

I'd have to relisten to it (which I haven't done in forever) but I remember being totally bored with it outside of backseat freestyle, swimming pools, and maad city. The back half just drags entirely (isn't there like a 10 minute half-singing song?).
the 10 minute song is one of his best songs tho

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Money Trees :cmon:

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

alansmithee posted:

lmao

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I'd believe this if the new Weeknd album didn't get nominated

but, y'know, "niche"

You know, looking at the wiki link and past winners, yeah it's non-white pop artists. I thought it was the old rnb category only with a jazzed up name, but it's pretty much just what you said. Although I still say that I was correct in calling it niche-rnb is a pretty niche genre in general besides the stuff that gets super popular.

Budget Prefuse posted:

tpab is kendricks thoughts on the exploitation of blacks in america, self-hatred due to your skin color and issues such as black on black crime but its for Old White People or something and he made it purely for teh grammys. kendrick has a huge worldwide following and is using this opportunity to speak on issues he finds important. he's trying to actually make a positive change through his music (even if it might be a very small one). i get if you don't like the music on the album because of the "boring" production and the cheesy tupac interview skits but what's the point of putting kendrick down by saying his musics only for old white ppl. i've seen vince get harassed in the same way on twitter for making an album with (somewhat) similar themes. i'm just surprised at all the hate for summertime 06 and TPAB on the internet i guess (although i know this thread loves summertime 06)

the 10 minute song is one of his best songs tho
I've not really seen much backlash against summertime 06, although I fully admit I just might've missed it since i don't use twitter much at all. I mean if you wanted to be reductive his discography could be "diary of a stickup kid" and it's not even like his production is way out there or something. Hell, in his interviews he'd even fairly hostile to any "establishment" elements so hearing that he's getting poo poo is kinda baffling. I'm fairly sure though why Kendrick gets those type of allegations thrown at him, but that's largely been hashed over so it's w/e.

And I'll maybe try gkmc again but too much of it sounded like stuff that I wanted to listen to exactly once, appreciate it's quality, and then never turn on again.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also I asked about this before but I'm relistening to SMT and does anyone know of anybody doing that kind of stuff anymore? I mean for a second you had SMT, Captain Murphy, and LUM all kinda doing takes on that kind of music, but FlyLo seems to have moved away from it, LUM is still supposedly retiring, and SMT went off the grid entirely.

Like is there some bandcamp/soundcloud dudes or anyone even making that poo poo anymore? For awhile seemed like I was finding things randomly, but it seems to have largely died out entirely (I guess maybe you could argue Khalil Nova but his stuff seemed to come from a different place to me).

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

This is in a similar vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZxy9zc5Z3A

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
SMT was poised to blow up, I wonder what happened to him

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He supposedly got locked up iirc but that's a bit hard to tell with a guy who's intentionally hiding his identity

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
My theory is he owns that Poetic Front Face that shot all his videos and he's doing that. The guy (Last Standing Poet) had some information about himself online, he has a degree in media production or something.

quote:

Still based in the UK, LSP formed his own production company and independent label, Poetic Front Face ltd. and continues to fully produce and record his own music from the confines of his home studio. To round out 2009, he dropped his music video debut, once again undertaking the direction and editing himself.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

alansmithee posted:

You know, looking at the wiki link and past winners, yeah it's non-white pop artists. I thought it was the old rnb category only with a jazzed up name, but it's pretty much just what you said. Although I still say that I was correct in calling it niche-rnb is a pretty niche genre in general besides the stuff that gets super popular.

yeah, they've still got an actual rnb category, which The Weeknd and Miguel are also nominated for lol:

quote:

Best R&B Song
Miguel, "Coffee"
The Weeknd, "Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)"
Jazmine Sullivan, "Let It Burn"
D'Angelo and The Vanguard, "Really Love"
Tyrese, "Shame"

Best R&B Album
Leon Bridges, Coming Home
D'Angelo and the Vanguard, Black Messiah
Andra Day, Cheers to the Fall
Jazmine Sullivan, Reality Show
Charlie Wilson, Forever Charlie

also it seems real weird that The Epic didn't get nominated for any of the jazz categories? I don't know poo poo about jazz but that album seemed super successful

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
In honour of the Grammy noms I present the Rap Thread Award noms:

Best album/mixtape
Young Thug - Slime Season
Young Thug - Slime Season 2
Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt
Drake and Future - What A Time To Be Alive
Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 The Wait 2
Vince Staples - Summertime 06

Worst thread troll award
rear end Catchum
thathonkey
alansmithee
RBX
Whoever that all new rap sucks dude was

Add your own categories and nominations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Most uninspired post of the year : see above

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Best troll
That Aftermath guy
Born yesterday/clueless guy aka apparently-it's-not-really-him-it's-some-blogger (a3ther?)

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

gone but not forgotten award: bstyles

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

wow i forgot spark even existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYl9Ow9lFE

banger

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best new dead rapper: toss up between Koopsta Knicca (old rapper who died) and Young Pappy (new rapper who didn't get to grow up to be an old rapper).

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iERnt_Rdsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lad2jHtJCqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1wK8TqvA4

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

drat

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:drat:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

future where is ape poo poo

I am waiting for ape poo poo mister hendrix

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Digging the Malibu's Most Wanted samples.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
gkmc owns i dont care what alansmithee thinks. tpab is a chore to listen to and the way it is arranged makes it impossible to skip the skits and interludes that youd only want to hear once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Aftermath guy was way too good

Poster of the year