Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
We have this thread and the games thread so that's all the types of art covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Constant Hamprince posted:

you're thinking of Internaut, please correct your yospos.dbf tia

ahem some sadbrains has apparently paid daddy's cash dollars to label me "gamergate stymie" so we're gonna stick with that ok

lol jessica jones is as bad as claimed and should only be watched by the sort of person who goes to see every marvel movie in the theater with accompanying mailbox-size tub of popcorn, 44 gallon drum of soda and 7" anroid phablet set to full brightness and used to tweet displeasure at departure from canon while watching

eg most basic rear end goons ITT

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol I'm so glad internaut is here to make my posts look like solid gold

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

i just really like all the minor details that are throwbacks to the older movies

oh yeah that one dude with the "GIVE WAY" sign as a shield

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
speaking of sci-fi that's like 50 years old, has anyone read Bill, The Galactic Hero ?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
so this girl at my office said she canceled he loot crate because she didn't like what the last one had - "some shirt for a show I've never heard of, ted and bill or something?"

I mean good on her for not paying to have useless garbage shipped directly to her door but goddamn I'm only 30 why do I feel so :corsair:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm reading the Cyberiad and it's good. I really have no idea how Lem's sense of silliness translates so well from Russian, from the cold war era, or from the USSR. he's like a jolly Soviet Philip K Dick. they're all really fun, and have titles like "How Trurl Built a Femfatalatron to Save Prince Pantagoon from the Pangs of Love, and How Later He Resorted to a Cannonade of Babies"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

speaking of sci-fi that's like 50 years old, has anyone read Bill, The Galactic Hero ?
I had all the books as a kid, didn't get all of the irony and humor though; the propaganda lampooning and fumbling / rigidity of large organizations was like planting a seed in my rebellious heart

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Pinball Wizard posted:

so this girl at my office said she canceled he loot crate because she didn't like what the last one had - "some shirt for a show I've never heard of, ted and bill or something?"

I mean good on her for not paying to have useless garbage shipped directly to her door but goddamn I'm only 30 why do I feel so :corsair:

really don't get the appeal of those services. they just ship a box full of random stuff to you every month and you have no idea what's in it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

really don't get the appeal of those services. they just ship a box full of random stuff to you every month and you have no idea what's in it?

some of them are good to introduce you to new things, my ex had some makeup one where they send you a bunch of different kinds of poo poo that you'd probably never try just lookinf through a store. I had one for a long time that was rare beers and about 20% of them were world class, very few were bad

but yeah I don't understand poo poo like loot crate

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i have too much money, please send me warehouse overstock, but don't tell me what it is because that enhances the mystery!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

YOSPSA: if you read English and you want to make a start on Lem, accept only Kandel translations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

YOSPSA: if you read English and you want to make a start on Lem, accept only Kandel translations.

idk how he made those loving poems work so flawlessly in English, or that story about the machine that could make anything that began with an N.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
started the prefect. im kinda glad this one takes place before that nano-plague whatever it was called, because that poo poo was a real downer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

indigi posted:

I'm reading the Cyberiad and it's good. I really have no idea how Lem's sense of silliness translates so well from Russian, from the cold war era, or from the USSR. he's like a jolly Soviet Philip K Dick. they're all really fun, and have titles like "How Trurl Built a Femfatalatron to Save Prince Pantagoon from the Pangs of Love, and How Later He Resorted to a Cannonade of Babies"

yeah whoever translated that did a fantastic job.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i just got through revelation space, i'm a Reynolds convert now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

don't google greenfly

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dodoman posted:

I really loving enjoyed House of Suns but wasn't as hot off The Prefect, it seemed so claustrophobic in comparison

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bhodi posted:

don't google greenfly

galactic north was depressing because surprise! humanity fucks up again and ruins everything.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

indigi posted:

the tales of pirx the pilot are also great, lem is rad and it's easy to see why dick was so so so enraged and jealous of that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

Bhodi posted:

I had all the books as a kid, didn't get all of the irony and humor though; the propaganda lampooning and fumbling / rigidity of large organizations was like planting a seed in my rebellious heart

yeah this was p much my experience

i was so young i didn't get the reference of bill getting his new arm and spending all his time in convalescence in a hospital bed, "shaking hands with himself"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lem is rad and it's easy to see why dick was so so so enraged and jealous of that

whoa what, I didn't know this part

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Finished Aurora and Blindsight. Really enjoying the whole "universe is fundamentally hostile to humanity" themes. It's a breath of fresh air after reading so much optimistic colonization fiction.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

indigi posted:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Finished Aurora and Blindsight. Really enjoying the whole "universe is fundamentally hostile to humanity" themes. It's a breath of fresh air after reading so much optimistic colonization fiction.

I've read Blindsight but not Aurora, how's it compare?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

indigi posted:

I went looking for some info about this but all I found was a long essay from 1975 where Lem basically says PKD is (was) the only American SF writer doing anything worthwhile with the medium and jerks off about Ubik for several paragraphs

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Clockwerk posted:

I've read Blindsight but not Aurora, how's it compare?

Aurora is 100% classic KSR with lots of sperging about ecosystem balance, social dynamics, and orbits. It's a completely different read from blindsight except for the fact that it's not exactly optimistic about humanity kickstarting the Culture and taking over the galaxy anytime soon.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Aurora was depressing as gently caress.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

i can't wait to see what kind of mess he manages to make of sherlock now that it's entering a fourth season. he started down the rabbit hole in season three, and i can only imagine it getting stupider from there

lol i couldn't even finish the first ep of third season. that show is way, way too full of itself.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i like zero cool sherlock and now john noble is on it too and i like that

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

DiggityDoink posted:

Aurora was depressing as gently caress.

Yeah it owned.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Why is discussion of SF books in this thread so drama-free but tv chat such a loving war zone

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Time Dissolver posted:

Why is discussion of SF books in this thread so drama-free but tv chat such a loving war zone

because we don't talk about the star wars tie in books

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

because we don't talk about the star wars tie in books

right this is the skiffy thread not the fantasy thread :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Time Dissolver posted:

well nobody tries to talk about comic books here, but there's no sci-fi on tv any more so it all ends up being superhero chat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
whoever recommended the knick

thank you

also gently caress you :barf:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

DiggityDoink posted:

goddamn you are so loving wrong about the forever war