Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Best part of Okinawa was explaining to Marines that as an Air Force E-3 I was expected to own a car.

What was the thing in the next two years that got everyone on the island restricted to base for like a month? I feel like I had been there awhile and I got there in January of 08.

I thought your best part of Oki was the Gunny human being story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
There are many good stories. Gunny human being was up there.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
rip gunny human being o7

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

rip gunny human being's rear end in a top hat o7

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Plot twist: Hekk is Gunny human being

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought being a human being came with the second rocker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought being a human being came with the second rocker ega.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
RIP to the finest alien-fighting four-star General the Marines have ever had

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Post your best encounters with the man, the myth, the legend, SGTMAJ. Vines.

In MRP because I'm a computer nerd who thought it would be fun to join the cream corpse. Running all around getting paperwork signed. Slip and bust my rear end and break my pinky. Cursing up a storm trying to fight back crying because everything is just going horribly, horribly wrong.

Insert the man himself yelling at my boot...nay...showershoe rear end to get at the position of attention. Standing in the middle of the H building with this beast of a man, motivation pouring through every fiber of his being, booming in a talk that vibrates the walls and echos through the halls. " Recruit, its just pain, bones will reset, wounds will heal, get off the floor and conduct yourself like a man worthy of the title! " and off he sings, " HIIIIIYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT RIGHT LAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. "

I wish I took what he said to heart instead of being focused on a broken pinky.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

MaxPowers posted:

I wish I took what he said to heart instead of being focused on a broken pinky.

You're a loving nincompoop. gently caress all SgtMaj in there leaking alcoholic assholes.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
sgt maj vines is a piece of poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

He is legit off. Imagine being an officer and needing him to do paperwork

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

No idea who you guys are talking about.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sgt Majors should be the first against the wall tbh

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

No idea who you guys are talking about.

How do you not know who sgtmjr vines is

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Reverand maynard posted:

How do you not know who sgtmjr vines is

I actually enjoyed posting in this thread once. It's been a long time though.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My sergeant major told me to shave my sweet boat stache and I told him no. The end.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SgtMaj Barrett is the coolest and his favorite beverage is peach iced tea :3:

SgtMaj Geletko is a terrifying bear of a man, but very cool. I went to a BBQ for the S1 once, and walking up the driveway I noticed he left his keys in his car. I mentioned it, and he said "Nobody's loving stupid enough to touch my Caddy."

SgtMaj Tanksley is a piece of poo poo, according to every port a john in Fallujah.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 7, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
counterpoint: Barrett believes lower pay will make Marines more disciplined

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I've managed to go nearly 2.5 years without seeing a single SgtMaj

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Internet Wizard posted:

Before the halcyon days of OIF SgtMaj's were a mythical unicorn only heard of in far away places like Okinawa where if you walked on the Batallion's lawn you'd faintly hear whispering on the breeze "GET OFF MY GRASS"

A path diverged in an empty lot
and sorry I could not drive, pavemont hot
and be one lance corporal long I stood
and looked down saw an empty can,
to where it bent in the burning sand

I walked away, as just as fair
and perhaps the Sergeant Major's claim
because the can and I were both there
not taking the can my body he would wear
that sandy lot would not seem the same

And both that asphalt equally lay
on burning ground I pushed till slack
Oh I hate that can till the end of days
Yet knowing SgtMaj's hide many ways
SgtMaj suck my dick from the back

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Truly a warrior-poet

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I actually enjoyed posting in this thread once. It's been a long time though.

I'm sorry ;_;

Anyways Sgt Major Vines is a caricature of a human being. Its like the powder puff girls recipe of sugar spice and everything nice except replaced with PT scores, rolled sleeves, and cadence calling. He spent way too much time on the drill field and his sole joy in life was stalking the PX and chow hall to catch devil dogs slipping on their regs then would descend upon their poor soul. Pretty sure he gave people PTSD, you'd be loving jumpy for weeks afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDxoZNYuXU

He records cadence calls and sells them now.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 8, 2015

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I heard he deployed once.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
He got mad at us while we stood in formation outside the SOI chow hall cuz some of us had boot-issued black gloves on and some of us didn't

Sent back to the squad bay. Surprise, not everyone kept all the bullshit they were issued in boot camp.

Was pretty funny, looking back.

.. until our drill human being platoon sergeant pulled the same poo poo in Uzbekistan or wherever it is you stop off at right before Afghanistan.

lol marine corpse

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I still have the lovely pair I was issued in 2003 somewhere, but that's only because I'm a terrible hoarder.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

i used those black gloves one(1) time when i was in, for doing the dumb fast roping thing off the platform at lejeune

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Does anyone here have any experience with Humanitarian Transfer Requests? My master guns is being an obstructionist dick right now about the whole process, and is acting like offering to station me on the opposite coast from where I'm requesting to go is somehow doing me a favor.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Internet Wizard posted:

Same.

Course, I've been a civilian since 2013 :v:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Internet Wizard posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with Humanitarian Transfer Requests? My master guns is being an obstructionist dick right now about the whole process, and is acting like offering to station me on the opposite coast from where I'm requesting to go is somehow doing me a favor.

Sounds like an uphill effort. Is someone sick or something? Some quick googling seems to suggest that orders on a coast opposite of where you would prefer don't really qualify

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah my mom's dying. Trying to get stationed in Colorado (there's an AF base where my MOS can go but they're full right now), and somehow Master Guns decided Maryland was the place for me.

Doesn't really matter though because I just got orders this morning that I'll be replacing the one and only Marine with my MOS at 29 Palms if this request isn't approved.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There's an MOS for Lake Bandini Life Guard? :shrek:

E: That's not too bad, I think CO is just inside the acceptable-to-drive-on-a-96 radius. This guy at my unit had a gf in Denver, and he worked some deal with the CO that he could drive there on 96's if he had a driving buddy, who was another guy with a GF in Denver. They basically had a day and half there before they had to get back in the car and come back.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 18, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah my mom's dying. Trying to get stationed in Colorado (there's an AF base where my MOS can go but they're full right now), and somehow Master Guns decided Maryland was the place for me.

Doesn't really matter though because I just got orders this morning that I'll be replacing the one and only Marine with my MOS at 29 Palms if this request isn't approved.

If you are due for orders anyway, it doesn't hurt to call your monitor directly. I don't know what rank you are or anything but it you are a first termer, it might not be a bad idea to grab the nearest SNCO you trust and call together.

I've never seen a Humanitarian Transfer approved before so I can't speak as to whether they are really things that happen or just something on the books to make it look like the military cares.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope it works out as best as it can with your lovely orders situation, and hopefully you get time off to be with your mom.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you are due for orders anyway, it doesn't hurt to call your monitor directly. I don't know what rank you are or anything but it you are a first termer, it might not be a bad idea to grab the nearest SNCO you trust and call together.

I've never seen a Humanitarian Transfer approved before so I can't speak as to whether they are really things that happen or just something on the books to make it look like the military cares.

My C School instructor at NAS Lemoore was there because of a Humanitarian Transfer. His daughter had some really awful cancer and was getting treated nearby. But this was like 9 years ago, and air wing so :shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

gently caress dude, thats rough :smith:

hopefully you can find someone up the chain who isnt a complete motard piece of poo poo that will help you out. the idea of driving to denver from 29 palms on the handful of 96s you get a year is pretty terrible

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
This is an unironic suggestion to, if all else fails, request mast. If there is a base with your MOS nearby, there is no reason that they should go, "lol request approved go to the east coast.."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

LCpl, finishing my initial pipeline.

The request started when I submitted my dreamsheet and told Master Sergeant about my family situation. He called the monitor, who let him know that Denver was full up on 2631s right now. Master Sergeant had my SSgt platoon commander get me started on a HUMS request, we got that written up and sent back up to MSgt and the CWO in charge of my schoolhouse a couple of weeks back. They approved it and passed it up to the detachment, where my paperwork was promptly lost for about a week.

After that point Master Guns has decided to get involved, and from the couple of times he's called me down to the detachment it sounds like he's trying to kill my request before it even gets to the local CO.

edit: also apparently it's my fault my mom's dying because she's been dealing with Lyme's Disease for basically my entire life, so I shouldn't have joined the Marine Corps when I did, even though she was managing it pretty well until a year or so ago.

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

LCpl, finishing my initial pipeline.

The request started when I submitted my dreamsheet and told Master Sergeant about my family situation. He called the monitor, who let him know that Denver was full up on 2631s right now. Master Sergeant had my SSgt platoon commander get me started on a HUMS request, we got that written up and sent back up to MSgt and the CWO in charge of my schoolhouse a couple of weeks back. They approved it and passed it up to the detachment, where my paperwork was promptly lost for about a week.

After that point Master Guns has decided to get involved, and from the couple of times he's called me down to the detachment it sounds like he's trying to kill my request before it even gets to the local CO.

edit: also apparently it's my fault my mom's dying because she's been dealing with Lyme's Disease for basically my entire life, so I shouldn't have joined the Marine Corps when I did, even though she was managing it pretty well until a year or so ago.

Unless your Master guns is filling the SgtMaj billet, he has no say in administrative matters like a request for a humanitarian transfer. If your request keeps getting blocked just do what USMC503 said and request mast.

When you drop the paperwork, write that you want to speak to your CO's boss (Regimental Commander or whoever it is at your unit). Your Company Commander, SMAJ, and CO will all offer to try to help you with your problem because your boss's boss knows about it, and they have a strict timeline in which they have to respond. Talk to your CO and see what he has to say. If it sounds agreeable you can stop the request mast process there. If he is talking stupid, tell them you still want to talk to the Regimental Commander and see what he has to say.

All your leaders will resent you for requesting mast but they can't officially do anything negative to you. As a LCpl, there really isn't anything they can do velvet dagger wise since you don't get fitreps or anything. So you should be good either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

USMC503 posted:

This is an unironic suggestion to, if all else fails, request mast. If there is a base with your MOS nearby, there is no reason that they should go, "lol request approved go to the east coast.."

And if that fails, CONGRINT. Who are your mom's Congressmen?

• Locked thread