Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bOwfGAXBU

I wish PQube would hurry up and give us a release date for Europe. At this point I'm tempted to import but that might make DLC a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Marogareh posted:

It loving sucks that 4.1 got delayed to December 8th apparently. At least I'll have yakuza 5 and the bloodborne dlc to tide me over. I saw some new videos of the localization and how the depth crawler appears in tunnels is hilarious to me.

4.1 and 2 were originally scheduled to release a month apart from one another. Having both on the same day is gonna be rough.

Still buying the hell out of both.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

will psn have a preload/preorder for this?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

I wish PQube would hurry up and give us a release date for Europe. At this point I'm tempted to import but that might make DLC a pain.
Amazon UK says February 2016.

Talkc posted:

I basically just want to see what kind of hoops it would take my Australian friend to jump through to play this with me assuming the NA and EU versions dont share servers.

lets hang out posted:

He just needs a valid payment method for the region the account is in. Paypal, psn cards, something.
So if I get this right, one would need:
1. a new PSN account/username for the NA region,
2. a whole new PS+ subscription for the NA account, EDIT: scratch that, didn't need it for the JP version
3. to purchase the NA versions of game and DLC.

And after all that, the main game would be playable online with any PS+ enabled account, yet the DLC would always be restricted to the NA account, online or not.

Is this all correct or is there some loophole I don't know about?

Storm One fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 2, 2015

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If your PS4 is set as your 'Primary System' for the account tied to your PS+ subscription then all accounts on your console will have online play, including the NA region one.

Afaik, the restriction on DLC only applies to purchase, IE. you need to buy NA DLC for your NA game, but your EU account will have access to it once you buy it.

Storm One posted:

Amazon UK says February 2016.
Ooof. Urge to import rising.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for clarifying the DLC issue, I was afraid it being region-locked would add further restrictions re: PSN accounts.

Rice Digital still has it listed at Q4 2015, fwiw.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Should I just assume that EDF is dead on Xbox moving forward now or is there a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere that I missed?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MrDorf posted:

Should I just assume that EDF is dead on Xbox moving forward now or is there a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere that I missed?

It might be a safe assumption, considering Japanese attitudes towards non-Playstation consoles and Microsoft's attitudes towards the Japanese market.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/microsoft-tgs-2015/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Marogareh posted:

It loving sucks that 4.1 got delayed to December 8th apparently. At least I'll have yakuza 5 and the bloodborne dlc to tide me over. I saw some new videos of the localization and how the depth crawler appears in tunnels is hilarious to me.

now look what you did

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
So now that the release is imminent here what is everyone going to be playing? Personally I like to live the tank / helicopter life so I'll be doing air raider like I did last time in 2025. I'm interested in seeing if there are any new guns and if so... how awesome they are

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm very excited for tuesday afternoon's store update

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've never put much time into air raider so i might go with that too.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Fencer and Air Raider will be my go-tos until the end of time. Fencer for jump jet Fist of the North Star-ing robots and Air Raider for calling in 50 foot tanks.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Gonna be using all of them like I did on the PS3 but my main will always be Fencer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I may attempt to play Fencer online just cuz I'm bad at it and thus everyone else can carry me :v:

But yeah probably Air Raider as well, as it's not my best or worse class.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Still divided between fencer and air raider, played mostly fencer before due to the lack of decent aim on the vehicles but that got changed so I'm kinda torn between them, could just play both. Fencers are just so crazy loving fast though.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
Yeah fencer was my second favourite for sure. I forget how to infinite boost around but I'm sure I'll get back in the hang of it. It looks like they put in a bunch more melee weapons for them in this version too? or maybe they were always there and i just never got that far. In all of the trailers they are slicing and dicing up a storm

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
My favorite EDF moment was getting to the end of mission 38 with only pile bunkers and shotguns. I had to boost jump and fire the shotguns at the weak point at the top of the jump to be in range.

It took forever and we almost died laughing the whole time when we figured out that it would work, but by god the EDF never gives up.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Casnorf posted:

My favorite EDF moment was getting to the end of mission 38 with only pile bunkers and shotguns. I had to boost jump and fire the shotguns at the weak point at the top of the jump to be in range.

It took forever and we almost died laughing the whole time when we figured out that it would work, but by god the EDF never gives up.

Don't worry, we got this

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't worry, we got this

I might mention that keyboard here was my coop buddy for this one, being useful with his helicopter that couldn't hit the weak point at all and, I dunno, something else worthless like a true air raider would.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Casnorf posted:

I might mention that keyboard here was my coop buddy for this one, being useful with his helicopter that couldn't hit the weak point at all and, I dunno, something else worthless like a true air raider would.

Turrets and cruise missiles

I'm pretty sure that was the mission I figured out turrets stick to helicopter blades too

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I've only really played Ranger and Wing Diver, I may give Fencer a shot this time if I can figure out how to move the drat thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

IIRC you need a melee wep in one hand and a shield in the other, then you just alternate dashes and shield thrusts to get around very quickly.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
why is this game not on steam. it would make mad bank, and they could add even more ludicrous ant numbers to make even the loftiest tower pc struggle and suffer slow down.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ShredsYouSay posted:

why is this game not on steam. it would make mad bank, and they could add even more ludicrous ant numbers to make even the loftiest tower pc struggle and suffer slow down.

It's in the steam database leaks so it probably will be.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
that would make my day. cannae be buggered with aw the long loading screens on the 360 version.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I may go with Ranger again out of familiarity and "reliability" I guess?

If you are just loving around in Solo, which Not Ranger is more friendly for terrible players clearing out UFOs while still being able to maintain mobility. Without dipping into higher difficulties to get a toy better than your current spread would allow for a dozen levels.

I only played a little bit of Wing Diver, and it was fun. But having to manage that energy bar when things got hectic and/or I wanted to fly around was not something I was any good at. I also must have been super poo poo at flying right because I always got the sense I'd get around overall faster with Ranger, because of all the stopping to make sure I didn't run out of energy/running out of energy because I had to shoot things.

Fencer meanwhile, Dash canceling to get around anywhere better than the speed of nothing got old. And my early drops were not friendly to convenient UFO murder.

Honestly "Kill the open UFO" turned out to be my biggest headache priority across the whole game.

I think the hardest mission for me in the normal version (on mere baby normal) was that one with the 18 trillion dragons getting in your face while you still had to shoot down the UFOs as per usual.

In the end, my victory was down to an All Or Nothing gamble on a rocket launcher that I could kill myself from full health with. Firing it at any open shot that would just barely avoid hitting a close by dragon and killing myself.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I haven't played 4 but Pale Wing (Wing Diver's predecessor) was all about feathering your boost button and bringing at least one weapon with a magazine so you could reliably attack from the air. Most likely that would be a Rapier because those things were hilariously powerful.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Dumb question but is it possible to play splitscreen locally, online with others?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
All versions have offline split-screen co-op for 2 local players and single-screen online co-op for 1 local player; the 360 version is the only one to also support combined online + split-screen co-op (2 local + 2 online).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Hopefully the PS4 one fixed this error.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I have beaten 4.1(JP) with Air Raider, and wing diver. I got halfway through ranger and fencer before stopping. AMA

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Section Z posted:

If you are just loving around in Solo, which Not Ranger is more friendly for terrible players clearing out UFOs while still being able to maintain mobility. Without dipping into higher difficulties to get a toy better than your current spread would allow for a dozen levels.

I only played a little bit of Wing Diver, and it was fun. But having to manage that energy bar when things got hectic and/or I wanted to fly around was not something I was any good at. I also must have been super poo poo at flying right because I always got the sense I'd get around overall faster with Ranger, because of all the stopping to make sure I didn't run out of energy/running out of energy because I had to shoot things.

You were probably getting too much vertical, you can get a ton of horizontal speed by staying low and using short bursts. (Also don't undersell the "do an earlier level on a harder difficulty" angle, L2 in "hardest" mode is very doable and you can get weapons up to L50-ish, which you'll just plain never get from a normal run)

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

RadicalR posted:

Hopefully the PS4 one fixed this error.

If you're referring to split-screen online co-op: no, it doesn't, unless they added it on localisation which I very much doubt. When I said all versions I was talking about EDF4 (2025) for PS3/360, and EDF4.1 for PS4.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

fritz posted:

You were probably getting too much vertical, you can get a ton of horizontal speed by staying low and using short bursts. (Also don't undersell the "do an earlier level on a harder difficulty" angle, L2 in "hardest" mode is very doable and you can get weapons up to L50-ish, which you'll just plain never get from a normal run)

Yeah, I can see that about the flight.

Though I was thinking less underselling the usefulness of dipping into better weapons pools (which I DID do, for a nice lightning shotgun that carried me through my whole attempt at Wings lady), and more "Well, I feel perfectly capable with my normal drops as Ranger, instead of desperate for better guns because of this energy bar".

I also know Fencer is way more kick rear end in a multiplayer scenario (along with Air Raider), but I admit I don't do a lot of that and I'm more thinking along the lines of convenience for just loving around in solo at my leisure.

Still, I should give Wings lady a better shot this time around if only for variety.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In EDF2 Pale Wing could do the first Godzilla fight on Inferno with starting gear because you could get right up and ride the drat thing while wrecking it with Rapiers.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone planning to set up a PS4 group for EDF 4.1?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

Yeah, I can see that about the flight.

Though I was thinking less underselling the usefulness of dipping into better weapons pools (which I DID do, for a nice lightning shotgun that carried me through my whole attempt at Wings lady), and more "Well, I feel perfectly capable with my normal drops as Ranger, instead of desperate for better guns because of this energy bar".

I also know Fencer is way more kick rear end in a multiplayer scenario (along with Air Raider), but I admit I don't do a lot of that and I'm more thinking along the lines of convenience for just loving around in solo at my leisure.

Still, I should give Wings lady a better shot this time around if only for variety.

While playing 2017 Portable through I developed some decent Pale Wing skills and noticed a few things that might not be so obvious.

Number one, you can get on really tall-rear end buildings sometimes, and sometimes the enemies can't get to you when you do. So fly up to the top of the tallest tower you can make it to (start on the roof of another building, usually helps), and bring a plasma launcher or sniping weapon and rain down murder unopposed. This won't work on every mission, but certainly will on some, possibly letting you get some Inferno weapons early.

Number two, rapiers and red ants. If all you are fighting is red ants, and you're using a rapier type weapon, there's a decent chance you can use it to basically herd them around while slowly wearing down their HP and never get hit. The rapier will constantly stunlock them for short bursts as it hits them, just keep firing and backing up and enjoy your new career as an ant wrangler.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Better than rapiers for red ants are the plasma whips, since they have a much wider spread so you can stunlock a lot more ants at a time. With 2 equipped you never have to let go of the trigger. Takes bloody ages if you're trying to kill really high level ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, by rapiers I really mean just any of the close range Pale Wing weapons along those lines.