Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Elyv posted:

Wat.

I will make you a bet that this card is not Modern playable(given a reasonable metric for "Playable"). Also no one plays Meloku, that card's time is long, long past.
Modern Playable in the sense of not Modern Unplayable. ie. Doesn't Die to Bolt.

Meloku has seen sporadic play in Scapeshift lists as a sideboard 1of; I don't assert that those folks have been correct in that choice, but it's not wildly implausible. The more relevant extra land drop might be enough to make the card playable enough.

That said RG vs. (1) is a big jump, which I had misremembered.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Costs 4, doesn't immediately replace itself, doesn't win the game next turn.

Hmm.

HMM.
Skepticism endorsed. But I've been losing to Kolaghan's-ed Fulminators a lot, and some form of LD prevention is desperately wanted.

Booklegger fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
This guy and the RG filterland is landfall X, right?

This guy, RG filterland, tron, and rings of brighthearth is infinite landfall?

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Balon posted:

This guy and the RG filterland is landfall X, right?

This guy, RG filterland, tron, and rings of brighthearth is infinite landfall?

Only 1 extra land drop, not multiple.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Booklegger posted:

Only 1 extra land drop, not multiple.

Oh haha right. This guys trash.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

What could punish it that would be good but not aggressively good? Tec Edge and Enroaching Wastes are about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What could punish it that would be good but not aggressively good? Tec Edge and Enroaching Wastes are about it.

tunnel ignus :laffo:

honestly I think getting rid of fetches altogether wouldn't be that bad a thing with regards to slow play, etc, but like, collectors and entrenchment or whatever.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Zoness posted:

inb4 tournament reports / feature matches of people tapping typed basics for diamonds v:shobon:v.

It's not completely inconceivable to me that they would, instead of making Wastes a card with a discreet and exceptional ability, just make its mechanic an emergent property, by authoring a rule to permit Basic Lands of every variety tap for colorless.

I think it would be good. Basic lands would all be soft duals, which puts the elementary balancing point just the tiniest bit higher, which means that there's a little bit more to trade away when you select a nonbasic. Every fetchable (aside from Dryad Arbor) would be a choice for a package of two colors. Do you want Sacred Foundry for R and W, or a Mountain for R and ♦? With enough ♦ cards to make that into a real and considerable choice, you end up with playspace that is accessible to modest mana-bases but which four-color goodstuff decks have some real trouble reaching for.

This prediction has some flaws, of course. If the other basic lands do what Wastes do, why then have Wastes at all? Well, it solves an EDH problem with colorless commanders, so that's a big-picture upside. In the block itself, there's no limit of quasi-parasitic mechanics they could print to make it more immediately worthwhile. Like, what if you had a reverse-domain ability that did better if you had fewer basic land types? It would certainly be a counterpoint to the ridiculous standard manabase for a few months until the fetches rotate. I don't know.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Hope they print a Mishra's Wasteshop, that taps for ♦♦♦ and can only be spent to cast colourless spells.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That is a really bad idea because it makes basics I.E the simplest cards in existence twice as complicated if not moreso and it'll make the game a shitload harder for a new player.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

tunnel ignus :laffo:

At least that was a learning experience for hate cards for last fall's mechanic, since Stony Silence, Ash Zealot, Rest in Peace, Soldier of the Parthenon, and End Hostilities were all good.

BFZ doesn't have any blatant "gently caress you wedges/dragons!" cards, but since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do and "gently caress you dragons!" was already in DTK itself I guess they didn't feel the need.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

At least that was a learning experience for hate cards for last fall's mechanic, since Stony Silence, Ash Zealot, Rest in Peace, Soldier of the Parthenon, and End Hostilities were all good.

BFZ doesn't have any blatant "gently caress you wedges/dragons!" cards, but since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do and "gently caress you dragons!" was already in DTK itself I guess they didn't feel the need.

There's basically no way to hate on wedges that won't cause the dreaded ":qq:feel-bads:qq:"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hope they print a Mishra's Wasteshop, that taps for ♦♦♦ and can only be spent to cast colourless spells.

Hell ya this would go well with the workshop in my EDH deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I hope so. I'm so tired of Ancient Tomb.

since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do

Non-basic hate does it just fine but Wizards doesn't like people interacting with each other outside of combat so here we are.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

I hope so. I'm so tired of Ancient Tomb.

Non-basic hate does it just fine but Wizards doesn't like people interacting with each other outside of combat so here we are.

Nonbasic hate any more aggressive than Tec Edge is also contrary to BFZ's own mechanics, but sure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Picking up/Playing Extra lands is always going to be abusable. So yes, i agree. IDK if Scapeshift is where it fits though.

Are there many decks in Modern that care about repeated land drops besides Scapeshift? I could maybe see utility cases where you tap a land, bounce it, then replay and tap that land again for some extra mana (especially with something like a Tron land) but that doesn't seem worth the effort. I can't think of many Modern playables with Landfall, and while Amulet Bloom likes to drop lands into play it has its own weird specific goal without much wiggle room.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's basically no way to hate on wedges that won't cause the dreaded ":qq:feel-bads:qq:"

Hasn't wedge already been hated on because all the rogue squadron books/games are no longer canon :haw:

haha parthenon

to be honest self-inflicted wound, rending volley, and surge of righteousness all seem like indirectly hose wedges by being more likely to hit multicolored spells. it just so happens that a lot of that cycle isn't great at hitting rhinos.

also i don't think wotc is keen on hitting gold cards as a thing b/c gold is considered a drawback in "design" but like then they make mana bases really good so v:shobon:v but it's probably not a design problem.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nonbasic hate any more aggressive than Tec Edge is also contrary to BFZ's own mechanics, but sure.

Tec Edge would be fine when so many decks are running infinite fetches and like one of each Bofa.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ghost quarter? Although it would seem that it wouldn't even be good considering the chance of it locking someone out of a color would be slim. My choice would be fulminator mage, but at this point even the the decks you would hope to punish it with would run their own. Its definitely a hard question to answer, but its kind of a pointless considering oath and sets after it are already set in stone.

I just want power level to swing back in the other direction for a little bit. Little tired of almost all the staples being poo poo they printed years ago.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Tec Edge would be fine when so many decks are running infinite fetches and like one of each Bofa.

They're going to reprint Ghost Quarter in Shadows.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

They're going to reprint Ghost Quarter in Shadows.

Which won't do very much, everyone has ~4 basics in their deck anyways.

E: Ghost Quarter is mainly for getting rid of special lands that are really problematic unless dealt with, it's not impossible to disrupt people's with it but it's not easy and often not possible.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 7, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
reprint Stifle imo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well, it's also a 4/4 body, and if you're treating it as Exploration it "draws" you a card every turn. Add to that lands with ETB effects and the fact that if the land you bounce comes in untapped it only costs 1 to activate, and you have a pretty good card. Not sure if RG landfall is really a good enough deck that this card will be a Standard powerhouse, but in that deck it is very good.
It doesn't draw you a card at all? It has Exploration's ability with the fact that you can retrigger landfall for RG if you want. Aggro decks don't particularly want a 4 mana 4/4 when there are a thousand more resilient or faster threats in the format. Maybe if there are a lot of excellent landfall dudes in Oath it could be worth playing in a midrange deck, but probably not while Crackling Doom is in the best deck of the format.

Also it is definitely not modern playable.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is a really bad idea because it makes basics I.E the simplest cards in existence twice as complicated if not moreso and it'll make the game a shitload harder for a new player.

lol no it won't

The speculation on ♦ has been such a treat because it's really airing out how many players don't know how they learned their own game, but who nonetheless can't imagine any other way to do so.

Under the circumstances I articulated, the full story on ♦ would be hidden behind the same second- and third-layer veils of game complexity that the majority of the entire rest of the game is. The same place keywords live. The same place +1/+1 counters are. The same place mulligans go. When a novice player walks into the store, you hand them a 30-card sample deck and set up a game in which is it is 0% necessary for a player to know anything at all about ♦. You tell them, "These are the basic lands, each one can tap for one of the five colors" and, while that's a non-exhaustive statement, it is also a factual one, and in any case, all the land cards have big pictographics on them instead of text boxes and in the congealing understanding of a neophyte they are an abstract concept rather than a semantic value.

It's only after you've lain down the foundation that the player gets their hands on real cards and, yes, some fraction of them are going to say puzzling poo poo on them. Like "equip." What the gently caress does equip mean? Better check that poo poo out in the rulebook. Counter a spell? How does that work, do you just undo all of its effects? Oh, no, the rulebook says there's this thing called the "stack" and that effects go there for a while before they take effect. One of my cards has a ♦ on it, what does that mean? Oh, the rulebook says that just means colorless mana, oh, and basic lands can tap for it, too! I didn't know that, but that will be useful.

In the worst case scenario, the player does not experience a structured explanation of the game, and ends up learning what a diamond means but only believes that they can use certain weird utility lands and stuff (which is to say, the lands that specifically only tap for ♦) to play them. That's STILL fine! Because he's not playing the game wrong, he just doesn't know about all his options, so he thinks that Kozilik is a disproportionately difficult card to play. Somebody will fill in that gap in his knowledge later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

The biggest problem with Bofas with fetches is that Bofas get better as the game progresses. Shocks at the very least always cost 2 life to come into play untapped.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It also completely loving defeats the point of distinguishing colorless mana in any way so there's that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 7, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lancelot posted:

reprint Stifle imo

i always liked that split second stifle from time spiral but since referencing the stack is verboten it will never be reprinted

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem with Bofas with fetches is that Bofas get better as the game progresses. Shocks at the very least always cost 2 life to come into play untapped.

Well, they are also worse on average in the early game which in theory was suppose to balance them out. The problem is that there isn't anything aggressive enough to make coming into play tapped a problem.

And jesus christ, ♦ was probably a waste of time to print but is going to have near to no affect on making anything more complicated.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Eikre posted:

lol no it won't

A more reasonable counter-argument: The best reason to use Colorless mana as an evergreen mechanic is to make it more difficult to cast certain spells using a mana base consisting of Fetches (which cannot fetch a colorless-producing land) alongside Basics and Duals/Shocks (which do not have the ability to produce colorless mana). Allowing all basics to produce colorless mana turns them into de facto dual lands for players trying to cast a spell that costs {C}{U}{U} in their Blue/Black deck, an (almost certainly) unwanted net gain in the power of Fetchlands.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Well, they are also worse on average in the early game which in theory was suppose to balance them out. The problem is that there isn't anything aggressive enough to make coming into play tapped a problem.

didn't aggro decks take the first 2 slots at kobe.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MiddleEastBeast posted:

artifacts are colorless. This would be better than Mishra's Workshop. A land that tapped for 3 that you could use in vintage shops decks, legacy MUD, modern affinity and Tron. Unless you mean spells as in instants and sorceries, not spells in general.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

artifacts are colorless. This would be better than Mishra's Workshop. Unless you mean spells as in instants and sorceries, not spells in general.

not vintage all star slash panther (not actually a vintage all star)!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Balon posted:

Amulet Bloom clearly needed a very easy infinite mana combo, what were they thinking.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eikre posted:

Oh, the rulebook says that just means colorless mana, oh, and basic lands can tap for it, too! I didn't know that, but that will be useful.

It also makes Wastes existing a stupid prospect. "Here's a basic land. Lol syke its strictly worse than all the others you garbage turd idiot."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

He's a 4/4 for 4 that lets you explore. That alone passes the Vanilla test..

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

It also makes Wastes existing a stupid prospect. "Here's a basic land. Lol syke its strictly worse than all the others you garbage turd idiot."

Barry's Land has been a stupid vanity project since its conception just to do because they can, but I'd argue that they found a good reason for it to exist, which is a basic land for EDH.

mcmagic posted:

I'm struggling to think of the deck that wants this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Non-evasive 4/4 for 2RG doesn't seem particularly constructed playable unless it has RG bloodrush: +4/+4 and trample.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
4/4 for 4 is lovely until Khans rotates out. Could be good after that though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's actually a really cool card in an RG landfall deck. If you still have lands in your hand it lets you trigger landfall an additional time and ramp. If you've run out of lands in your hand it lets you trigger landfall twice and gives you evasion for effectively 2 mana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Barry's Land has been a stupid vanity project since its conception just to do because they can, but I'd argue that they found a good reason for it to exist, which is a basic land for EDH.

I'm struggling to think of the deck that wants this.

RG Landfall is already playing Thunderbreak Regent. This fits the deck better in that it does something the turn in comes into play... It's better flood insurance too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the card has potential but it's not because it's a 4/4 for 4.

If anything that rate is a huge drawback considering that abzan gets a 4/4 for 3 and a 4/5 for 4.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

If you have 2 lands in your hand at turn 4 youve flooded.

Rav and Theros both had 4/4 for 4 with upsides and only 1 of those saw some minor standard constructed play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

not vintage all star slash panther (not actually a vintage all star)!

Sure you could Slash panther is 3R so you can tap nu-shops to pay the 3 of anything and 2 life to pay phyrexian red.

• Locked thread