Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So after a few days of reflecting on the series, what was the point of Hogarth's story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

So after a few days of reflecting on the series, what was the point of Hogarth's story?

to be a bad / lady version of Kilgrave

aka pointless

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I'm four episodes in. I like the show well enough, although I can't shake the feeling that it's sort of pulling its punches a fair bit. The show seems to lack the edge and the cohesive vision of Daredevil--the cinematography lacks the artistic flair that Daredevil's "make everything really dark" approach did for it. While Daredevil used blindness as a major theme that recurrs in all of its major characters, to Kingpin's blindness of his own true (evil) nature to the chick's blindness to the consequences her meddling causes, it was a show that utilized its primary themes all really well, and it'd be difficult to follow that up for anyone, but Jones doesn't even seem to try. The only recurring theme I'm seeing is infidelity, which makes sense for a show about a PI but doesn't really seem to apply to Jessica, her friends, or Kilgrave.

Jessica Jones seems like a slow burn. I'm glad that we've actually had to wait a few episodes for Jessica and Kilgrave to meet, even though he's been a specter over her since the first moments of the pilot. Luke Cage is a bad-rear end motherfucker, although it does seem that his problems begin and end with "being a sexy black man is tough". The bar fight scene was bad rear end, and I'll admit I've never seen a sex scene that starts off with a buzzsaw to the abdomen, so there is that.

The action choreography is loving poo poo. You get better fight scenes in Arrow, and it's pretty telling that they didn't want to make a budget for a lot of wire work, since there's an obvious cut between Jessica hitting somebody and them going flying. It's already pretty hard to believe a tiny thing like Jessica Jones can hurl a man one-handed across a room, but I'd also like to see a lot more of that happening in fluid motion, rather than just sharp cutting to a guy flying through the air. Since Jones isn't fighting thugs or henchman, her entire fighting style seems to be "grab person, throw at wall". I feel like her method of fighting is very clumsy for somebody who sneaks around in the shadows of New York for a living, and she's probably capable of far more effective, quick and stealthy takedowns than we've seen.

Kilgrave's powers are as sinister and terrifying as they need to be. I don't see why Jessica couldn't just do a flying drop kick through a window to take him down in one hit, but Jessica's powers are still kind of dubiously explained. So far it seems like she just has super strength, and I enjoy quite a bit that her powers are more an inconvenience to her than anything else. Having a bad dream and cracking a subway window is a good way to get bad attention, and it's nice to see a superhero story where the hero wants to keep themselves and their powers low-key.

In fact, I'd say that's easily the most intriguing element of the show, a lot moreso than Jessica going through the tired motions of "It's dangerous to be around me/I must alienate all of my friends". Even if it's probably more true in this case than it is for a lot of heroes, I feel like Jessica would be past that part of being a hero at this stage in her life, and would be seeking out companionship rather than pushing people away. She is a bit of a trainwreck, so I guess that's fine, but so far she's kind of bland, and I don't think that's the actresses fault. If the story was about a group of metahumans trying to keep it on the downlow while living in a lovely New York ghetto, I feel like we'd have a lot more interesting plot and character interactions. As it stands, Jessica has the same conversation with Trish every time they talk, and...uh...I don't know quite how to say this, but there's a lot more sexual tension between them than their stated relationship of "best friends" has any right to have. Maybe I'm just seeing lesbians everywhere 'cause of the lady from House of Cards scissoring her sexy secretary, but I think Luke Cage is gonna end this show getting cucked by a blonde with a radio show.

The show seems rudderless, but it's got enough wake to catch my interest. I'll probably continue through it, but so far it's not nearly as fascinatingly outstanding as Daredevil. It's passable, but until it decides what kind of audience or story it wants, it's going to be left behind in Matt Murdock's shadow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I feel like as far as Jessica thinking "it's dangerous to be around me" she's literally absolutely correct. There's a psychopathic mind controller out for revenge (and other things, but you're at episode 4) so why wouldn't he hit her where it's clear it would hurt her? Over and over again?

The safest place for people to be around her is away from her. Kilgrave would likely not know about people close to her if he didn't see them close to her.

I'm with you on the cheapish fight choreography. It really does look like crap most of the time. However, this isn't a comic hero who is wanting to use or even develop her powers. At times she even seems afraid to use them. I think, thematically, the bad fights reflect her state of mind concerning herself. Plus, she knows that most of the people she's loving up are mind controlled, and will be back to normal in a few hours, plus being horrified at being forced to do horrendous things they wouldn't otherwise do (coat guy excluded). Still, it seemed to convey a lack of effort on the director's part more than anything else. But :lol::laugh: at you thinking she's some sort of loving American Ninja because she has super strength and a really long jump.

And sorry to spoil things, but you're seeing lesbians where there aren't any. They've closely bonded because they have both had traumatic happenings, growing up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drifter posted:

being horrified at being forced to do horrendous things they wouldn't otherwise do (coat guy excluded).

Hey, it was a really nice coat :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if coat guy is meant to be a commentary on white guys butting into victims groups with imagined or exaggerated traumas or if Kilgrave's mind invasion is so violating that even the mildest of transgressions are that traumatic.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think it's a commentary on toxic masculinity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I dunno if coat guy is meant to be a commentary on white guys butting into victims groups with imagined or exaggerated traumas or if Kilgrave's mind invasion is so violating that even the mildest of transgressions are that traumatic.

I think it's literally both. You can't really rank peoples personal trauma's against each-other and say "being crippled by this trauma is understandable but being cripple by this trauma is being a dramatic wuss". And you can't fault people who have undergone lesser traumas not having had worse things happen to them. Kilgrave invading your mind and forcing you to do something you don't want could be world-shattering just on its own, even though it's "not as bad" as also being forced to do something terrible.

Kind of like how emotional abuse is sometimes brushed off as "it's not like they hit you".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
White guys though, am I right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I also don't think it was an accident that he was white, male, and looked professional.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's about time someone in the media took a stab at rich white males tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is a mostly terrible thread for a pretty decent show.

Never change, TVIV.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You gotta hit 'em where it hurts...Their clothing.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

The Sharmat posted:

White guys though, am I right?

The Sharmat posted:

It's about time someone in the media took a stab at rich white males tbh

lmao, you seem offended

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

And sorry to spoil things, but you're seeing lesbians where there aren't any. They've closely bonded because they have both had traumatic happenings, growing up.

This. They're sisters literally and thematically, since they're both survivors of abuse and victimization, and are a familial source of support in the face of those things. It's not sexual.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

[Hogarth's purpose is] to be a bad / lady version of Kilgrave

aka pointless

It's tangential to the A-plot, but not pointless. Hogarth's emotional abuse is mundane, but no less insidious than what Kilgrave's doing, which is an important statement because people like Hogarth actually exist. Kilgrave is essentially a Rape Elemental...he's so hyperbolically that, it's difficult to explore his psychology in ways that are remotely subtle. Hogarth lets the show explore that kind of psychology in a lower stakes environment. She's a sociopath who lacks the power to be a literal supervillain.

Also, it's relevant she's a woman. The show could easily be interpreted as being about gendered abuse under patriarchy, but Hogarth and Trish's mom widen that scope.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pron on VHS posted:

lmao, you seem offended

I have suffered a microaggression, don't trivialize this emotional experience for me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

The Sharmat posted:

I have suffered a microaggression, don't trivialize this emotional experience for me.

mm sounds about right

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Grain of salt, but there's a new rumor that Marvel Television has finally found a showrunner for Iron Fist.

Unfortunately, it's the guy who ran the later seasons of Dexter.

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/02/marvel-netflixs-iron-fist-lands-scott-buck-as-showrunner/

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Given that the person that wrote Jessica Jones apparently wrote for the Twilight movies and Daredevil was made by ex Whedon people or whatever I don't even know what to think about stuff like that on a resume anymore.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If there's some heavy political message about feminism or gender or whatever, I sure haven't seen it thus far. I guess I have that to look forward to, although I'm terrified of the show getting a soap box, especially given Marvel's...eh...somewhat blunt attempts to appear more progressive than they honestly are.

Also, the gently caress is up with the upstairs neighbors? Are we playing them for laughs? Because that poo poo is weird.

Also, the absolute worst part of the show so far was Jessica using her dumb rear end crackhead neighbor as a patsy to steal some drugs. There's a moment where it slows down and she looks at him and he looks away like he's SO BETRAYED and I laughed my rear end off. Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's actually a pretty well balanced take on abuse in general. I don't think it ever gets remotely soapboxy.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.
That's kind of hosed up honestly.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2015

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Sharmat posted:

Given that the person that wrote Jessica Jones apparently wrote for the Twilight movies and Daredevil was made by ex Whedon people or whatever I don't even know what to think about stuff like that on a resume anymore.

She was heavily involved with Birds of Prey, which is why I'm amazed JJ turned out half decent. This show isn't the second coming of Christ or anything but it's pretty good. Pacing is terrible but at least there were no climactic fights set to songs by t.A.T.u..

On second thought Birds of Prey is comedy gold.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

If there's some heavy political message about feminism or gender or whatever, I sure haven't seen it thus far. I guess I have that to look forward to, although I'm terrified of the show getting a soap box, especially given Marvel's...eh...somewhat blunt attempts to appear more progressive than they honestly are.

Also, the gently caress is up with the upstairs neighbors? Are we playing them for laughs? Because that poo poo is weird.

Also, the absolute worst part of the show so far was Jessica using her dumb rear end crackhead neighbor as a patsy to steal some drugs. There's a moment where it slows down and she looks at him and he looks away like he's SO BETRAYED and I laughed my rear end off. Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.

If it helps Malcolm gets a lot more poignant and interesting as the series progresses. But yeah, the hospital betrayal is a bit comical in how overplayed it is. Justified, since Malcolm is one of two people who still believes in Jessica Jones, but still overplayed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Buck on Iron First is official now.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

There's a moment where it slows down and she looks at him and he looks away like he's SO BETRAYED and I laughed my rear end off. Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.

:goonsay: x 1000

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Barry Convex posted:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

Really curious what his pitch was that intrigued Marvel so much, because just going on the strength of his most recent work...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt, but there's a new rumor that Marvel Television has finally found a showrunner for Iron Fist.

Unfortunately, it's the guy who ran the later seasons of Dexter.

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/02/marvel-netflixs-iron-fist-lands-scott-buck-as-showrunner/

Barry Convex posted:

hahahahaha :suicide:

RIP Iron Fist. You have no chance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Barry Convex posted:

I would give Buck the benefit of the doubt like Rosenberg, but he's gone on record as a loving idiot too many times.

Like who watches the last seasons of Dexter and goes 'we want that guy'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teek posted:

Really curious what his pitch was that intrigued Marvel so much, because just going on the strength of his most recent work...

What if he uses the iron Fist technique to punch down trees?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Are we supposed to get Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage in 2016?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

What if he uses the iron Fist technique to punch down trees?

So Danny Rand, he's a serial killer, right? But get this ... He has a heart of gold!!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I basically just want Mortal Kombat the TV series. I haven't actually seen Dexter. Is this guy completely incapable of delivering that?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Convex posted:

I'm so glad people can't go Chicken Little about it being canned any more

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I basically just want Mortal Kombat the TV series. I haven't actually seen Dexter. Is this guy completely incapable of delivering that?

No he can deliver gore and nonsensical storytelling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

I'm so glad people can't go Chicken Little about it being canned any more

Luckily, now they're Chicken Littling over the showrunner.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Well, Dexter is at least as stupid as Mortal Kombat, but it doesn't have any of the awesomeness to balance it out...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
At the end of the day, I think the show needs more Foggy Nelson.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Luckily, now they're Chicken Littling over the showrunner.

It's not like the Marvel/Netflix connection hasn't proven itself with critical and commercial success and :suicide:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

No he can deliver gore and nonsensical storytelling.

Snak posted:

Well, Dexter is at least as stupid as Mortal Kombat, but it doesn't have any of the awesomeness to balance it out...

The stupid was part of the point of Mortal Kombat. But it was deliberate stupid that laughed at itself. That's what made it the only good videogame movie ever produced. I take it this guy isn't up to the second bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Probably.

Marvel posted:

Returning to New York City after being missing for years, Daniel Rand fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.

I imagine the Luke Cage description will be the same, except replace missing with escaped from prison with super powers.