Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Yeah, you're supposed to mix them in, not leave them all in the same spot. You're also supposed to measure out how many to use according to the to pot's volume. I'm betting you rotted out some of the roots near those holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

kedo posted:

Not a rose expert, but a lot of those pictures sure look similar to some photos I'm finding for black spot.

Otherwise it also sounds like it could be Botrytis Blight based on your description. Either way, like the most effective treatment seems to be pruning.

I don't think it's Black Spot. That normally manifests with bigger, less blotchy patches and the yellowing of leaves in it's immediate area. This is smaller and more rampant.

I have pruned away all of the heavily infected branches and leaves; and the plants appear to be doing better. I also gave them some quick insecticide and there is less flower damage going on atm. What I really need is a whole day to go by with out rain so I can toss on my fungicide/insecticide combo that needs a day to work but is amazing.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Are these spider mites on my Swedish Ivy? They're really, really small.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Zeris posted:

I'm no expert, but I don't think so. Spider mites tend to be roundish and have 8 legs. These look more elongated and I think I see antennae. I would suggest possibly thrips or springtails

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Looks like springtails. Harmless, if so.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Zeris posted:

I just dealt with a spider mite infestation on my plumeria, and no those are not spider mites. They are very tiny, round, reddish spiders. They will look like red specks on the leaves (which will turn white because of their webs). And there will be hundreds of them, everywhere.

What does the plant look like, are they biting it or anything? I've honestly never seen a bug like the one you posted.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My mother's snake plant has an elbow...

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 29, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a gardening question that may be off-topic here.

We're looking for a hose-end sprayer that doesn't have its own spray nozzle, or one that can be removed to hook up to a standard female intake sprayer. Sort of an in-line chemical mixer rather than a hose-end mixer if that makes sense. Does such a thing exist?

Also crossposting this to the stupid/small question A/T thread.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

tuyop posted:

I have a gardening question that may be off-topic here.

We're looking for a hose-end sprayer that doesn't have its own spray nozzle, or one that can be removed to hook up to a standard female intake sprayer. Sort of an in-line chemical mixer rather than a hose-end mixer if that makes sense. Does such a thing exist?

Also crossposting this to the stupid/small question A/T thread.

How much are you trying to mix/what are you mixing/how precise do you need it? Something like a dosatron mixer might be overkill...you could always try one of those siphon mixers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Flattened Spoon posted:

How much are you trying to mix/what are you mixing/how precise do you need it? Something like a dosatron mixer might be overkill...you could always try one of those siphon mixers.

1oz of stuff/5 gallons of water... I guess that's a 1:1500 mix? Or maybe 1:640? I'm not sure how those ratios work.

Edit: actually, I wasn't thinking. I'm fine with mixing something at double or quarter the strength and having the mixer do a 1:1 or 1:4 mix with water. It's for sanitizing bottles and I already have a bottle rinser that works perfectly, I just want that to be the last thing on the hose if that makes sense.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 1, 2015

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Something like this maybe? Don't see why you couldn't use it at the other end. Don't have any experience with it though.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
send help!

used to be this

It got cold and wet and I am sad :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Is it squishy? If so, rotted and not coming back.

If dry and hard, may be okay. Lots of lithops look very dead when they go dormant.

If it was wet when cold, probably not good news. :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That Faucaria tigrina looks pretty hosed. Sorry bro :(

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
What are some pretty, blue flowers I can grow in a hanging pot or basket? atm I'm thinking geraniums.

Further info: I live in a hot climate, zone 9b. The place I'd want them would have a few hours of direct sunlight in the mornings followed by light shade.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Kenning posted:

That Faucaria tigrina looks pretty hosed. Sorry bro :(

yeah, the remains are in the compost now. It was actually some kind of aloinopsis.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rollofthedice posted:

What are some pretty, blue flowers I can grow in a hanging pot or basket? atm I'm thinking geraniums.

Further info: I live in a hot climate, zone 9b. The place I'd want them would have a few hours of direct sunlight in the mornings followed by light shade.

When I think blue flowers in a hanging basket, I think lobelias. You could also do it with petunias or dwarf morning glories.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

kid sinister posted:

When I think blue flowers in a hanging basket, I think lobelias. You could also do it with petunias or dwarf morning glories.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Chelb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 14, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Weird rear end question. How does Kudzu grow indoors? Trimming it regularly, keeping it under say, four feet, will it still flower? Can it even grow indoors?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm running into some mold problems with my two lemon trees. All my plants that can't stay outside in the winter are currently living in a glass Ikea cabinet (otherwise my cats would destroy them). Most of them are doing fine, but it's wet in there. So wet that I barely water the citrus – there's enough water evaporating from other heavily watered plants during the day and condensing during the night that they're staying nice and moist.

However about once every two weeks I have to break a layer of yellow mold (slime mold I think?) off the top layer of soil on both my lemon trees.

I've been trying to control it by dusting the soil with cinnamon after I get rid of the mold layer, but it doesn't seem to be working well. Just yesterday when I broke the mold out I realized I've removed enough soil that I'm getting down to the roots, and there's mold growing directly next to and possibly inside the rootball.

I'm assuming I need to repot these plants, probably in soil with better drainage as the mold only seems to grow on the old, dense potting soil I used to first germinate the trees. However before I do that is there anything else I should try to kill the mold? Also, if I do end up repotting them, is there anything I can do with the soil to help prevent mold from growing?

On the other hand entirely, some random articles I've come across while googling have said that depending on the type of mold, it might not damage the plant at all and could actually help break down nutrients. Not sure about this?

Help?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I'd say that there's so much there that if your plants were gonna get sick then they would have already. It would probably come back pretty quickly after re-potting too, since it'll be in the soil left on the roots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would try adding a different brand of potting soil to fill those pots back up, and then assume the mold is going to do its thing and let it run its course. Most likely it's consuming one particular nutrient that it really really likes, and if you just let it go for a few months it'll use all of that stuff up and then mostly die off. The mold spores are in the cabinet and in the soil and on the plant so you simply are not going to get rid of them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Huh. Both your posts make sense. I've been a little astonished at the quantity of the mold whenever I eventually notice it, so I suppose you're right that if it was going to harm the plant it would have already. Guess I'll just let it do its thing and see what happens.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

So I picked up a 6-pack of Crystal Palace lobelias at my local nursery. How many of these should I put in a hanging basket? I've got 2, and they're each 12" in diameter.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rollofthedice posted:

So I picked up a 6-pack of Crystal Palace lobelias at my local nursery. How many of these should I put in a hanging basket? I've got 2, and they're each 12" in diameter.

You could do 3 in each and they'll eventually fill out the pot or you could fit all six in one pot. Just make sure they have 2-3" of space between each other and at least 1" from the side. You can always put multiple species or varieties in the same basket too. You can make some really pretty pots with 2-5 different kinds of plants.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Great, thanks.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I got sent here while looking for plant advice:

I have a couple bamboo plants in a single 6 inch wide [at the mouth] ceramic pot. In all, they reach 2 feet, maye 2 feet and 5 inches high. I think there's about four stems from which leaves sprout from, two large [about one inch width?] and two smaller [about a centimeter width?].

I don't want more bamboos, and I heard putting them into a bigger pot would induce additional growth. But they have been in that pot for maybe 6-8 years and I'd hate for it to start dying of bound roots. I have chopped off some leaf limbs, a bit haphazardly, and I don't know if there's a specific trick to making sure I don't murder them entirely.

My questions are a) how do I prune them so they don't die and b) should they get put into a bigger pot? Would it be fine to just lop the top of the leafy branches off? It gets so drat tall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wedemeyer posted:

I got sent here while looking for plant advice:

I have a couple bamboo plants in a single 6 inch wide [at the mouth] ceramic pot. In all, they reach 2 feet, maye 2 feet and 5 inches high. I think there's about four stems from which leaves sprout from, two large [about one inch width?] and two smaller [about a centimeter width?].

I don't want more bamboos, and I heard putting them into a bigger pot would induce additional growth. But they have been in that pot for maybe 6-8 years and I'd hate for it to start dying of bound roots. I have chopped off some leaf limbs, a bit haphazardly, and I don't know if there's a specific trick to making sure I don't murder them entirely.

My questions are a) how do I prune them so they don't die and b) should they get put into a bigger pot? Would it be fine to just lop the top of the leafy branches off? It gets so drat tall.

A little late, but I can still help.

Bamboo is an outdoor plant that grows as tall as a house. Are you sure this isn't "lucky bamboo", which is a actually a Dracaena?

Repotting is what you do when a plant is potbound. Does your pot allow you to pull the root ball out without needing to break the pot? If so, pull it out and see how tight the roots are bound on the outside of the dirt.

Keeping a plant at the same size is hard to do. However, there are some methods. There's regular pruning, which is hard to do when the plant only has a handful of stems. There's also division, but that's only for root-based plants. The last one is to just start a new plant from the old one.

Pruning is pretty simple. Use a clean knife, make a smooth cut right above a node, then let both cuts heal until they scab over.

As for cutting off the ends, that generally promotes side growth instead in most plants.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this question, but I am trying to track down an issue in my small patio/yard area in the townhome that my wife and I just purchased. I have a concrete slab patio, surrounded by a small garden area, which is surrounded by a redwood fence. This is in Tucson, AZ.

One particular area in the corner just absolutely smells terrible. This smell was not evident when I first looked at the house in the summer time, so my first instinct is that it's related to too much moisture or not enough drainage in that spot. Maybe the soil has some sort of mold, fungus, or anaerobic bacteria? Am on the right track?

Obviously, I will want to improve the drainage and soil conditions in the long run, as I want to put down some plants, but is there anything I can do to remediate this in the short term?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Armacham posted:

One particular area in the corner just absolutely smells terrible. This smell was not evident when I first looked at the house in the summer time, so my first instinct is that it's related to too much moisture or not enough drainage in that spot. Maybe the soil has some sort of mold, fungus, or anaerobic bacteria? Am on the right track?

Obviously, I will want to improve the drainage and soil conditions in the long run, as I want to put down some plants, but is there anything I can do to remediate this in the short term?

You could dig up the soil in the area and turn it over. If it's any bacteria or fungus growing their being exposed to fresh air and sunlight might knock it back enough to take the smell down. Maybe a neighbor has a compost pile nearby? It might be a draft of air coming from somewhere else carrying the smell too.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

Armacham posted:

We had a similar problen when we moved into our place. It ended up being stinkhorn mushrooms. They flourished when we put in a big area of shaded mulch that stayed damp. There are several different varieties, but when they bloom, they have this olive drab colored slime that stinks in order to attract flies and other insects.

If that isn't your problem, try describing what the odor is similar to maybe?

If it is your problem: there is no cure. Don't touch the goop. I find covering the slime with a small mound of baking soda eliminates the odor from blooms, but certain weeks it meant multiple rounds of covering it up per day. We had them really bad the first year, but with the removal of brown and wet materials we now only get a few per year. Just keep in mind that they're doing what they're supposed to do and there is nothing wrong with your yard. My wife wanted to move she got so discouraged over the stupid things, but when we tweaked the environment they were flourishing in, they went away.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
You could try introducing another fungus or other decomposer to outcompete them. I'm not sure where you'd get one though.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Maybe cats keep making GBS threads there

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Armacham posted:

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this question, but I am trying to track down an issue in my small patio/yard area in the townhome that my wife and I just purchased. I have a concrete slab patio, surrounded by a small garden area, which is surrounded by a redwood fence. This is in Tucson, AZ.

Do you gave a septic tank or sewer? Your problems might not be plant-related.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
I am inordinately proud of the fact that my lithops are about to bloom. A while back there was a discussion on them here and the advice you guys linked and posted was so helpful. I wanted to say thank you. :glomp:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah I zipped my mouse up to close my browser before I realized it wasnt NWS.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

kid sinister posted:

A little late, but I can still help.

Bamboo is an outdoor plant that grows as tall as a house. Are you sure this isn't "lucky bamboo", which is a actually a Dracaena?

Repotting is what you do when a plant is potbound. Does your pot allow you to pull the root ball out without needing to break the pot? If so, pull it out and see how tight the roots are bound on the outside of the dirt.

Keeping a plant at the same size is hard to do. However, there are some methods. There's regular pruning, which is hard to do when the plant only has a handful of stems. There's also division, but that's only for root-based plants. The last one is to just start a new plant from the old one.

Pruning is pretty simple. Use a clean knife, make a smooth cut right above a node, then let both cuts heal until they scab over.

As for cutting off the ends, that generally promotes side growth instead in most plants.

I... guess it is? Huh, I went researching in order to say 'nuh uh!' because my parent's drac plant looked totally different than mine. But no, you're right, it's not actually bamboo. So thank you, this makes it easier to know how to care for the bugger!

Anyways, I've pruned it like you said, above nodes since side growth is something I want to avoid, and will go buy a bigger pot. I read that it should be repotted every two years, which is about seven plus years overdue. Woops. And grab some fertilizer. poo poo, I'm a bad plant butler. Also, what the hell? It can flower?

Anyways, thank you so much for the help! I hope my plant will be happier now!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nereid posted:

I am inordinately proud of the fact that my lithops are about to bloom. A while back there was a discussion on them here and the advice you guys linked and posted was so helpful. I wanted to say thank you. :glomp:

I'm glad your butt is blooming! That's pretty exciting.

Also, I've still got a blog about my carnivorous plants. I haven't shared it with you guys for a while, so here are some pictures.

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' in bloom.

Drosera aliciae with a wacky growth point.

Dionaea 'B52', a little over a year from leaf pullings.

Drosera sargentii (one of my favorite pygmies) with gemmae.

Byblis liniflora in bloom.

The very alien flowers of Utricularia pubescens.

Nepenthes Viking × ampullaria "red stripe" at California Carnivores.

Anyway those are the plants.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 4, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Those are amazing! I wish I had the time/money/space/patience for carnivorous plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
drat I wish these cucumelons would fruit!

Does anyone know if it's too much stress to allow their vines to hang, instead of climbing on a structure?