Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

luminalflux posted:

I mean I put on a tshirt and basketball shorts. My neighbors can see right in to my living room.

Since I'm sure you know of curtains, I have to assume this is how you want it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I actually enjoy natural light and seeing the outside even if it means mostly looking at the house next door.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Today I almost had to make a ticket for myself to clean up our AD and move the users back into their respective OUs by hand.
..but I didn't because I always make sure to put "-WhatIf" after dangerous commands like "Move-ADObject" before I start messing around.

Running that by accident and watching EVERY user in the AD being "What if"-moved sure woke me up.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
We have been switching to a new IP phone system, started with the help desk (that's me!) and has slowly expanded to other departments over ~3 months. We mostly went for it to see just who is logged into the call queue, if calls are being missed, and a better system for managing the queue. For the most part, it's been good to us and provides the metrics that keep the higher-ups happy.

However, about a week ago the voice-mail service was interrupted, causing the whole system to fall into itself. Can't access voice-mail, can't make calls, no dial tone, nothing. It took about two hours of troubleshooting with help from the vendor support to narrow it down to voice-mail, and it was found out that the service had hung overnight because of Windows Update. We discovered the issue around 7:30am, and even though the help desk is 24/7, we don't actually get any calls from 10pm-7:45am, so it's not too surprising no one discovered it sooner. Service restarted, updates were disabled on that virtual machine, support double-checked changes, everything is running just fine. I'm still fairly new here, so I was thinking that the people managing the phones will set up a way of monitoring the services to make sure they didn't stop in the future.

So a ticket came in...
We are now required to call both the help desk and another department every hour from an outside line, listen to the recording, leave a voice-mail, and then check that voice-mail to make sure the phone system is working. No end date provided.

I guess I was right.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Crowley posted:

Today I almost had to make a ticket for myself to clean up our AD and move the users back into their respective OUs by hand.
..but I didn't because I always make sure to put "-WhatIf" after dangerous commands like "Move-ADObject" before I start messing around.

Running that by accident and watching EVERY user in the AD being "What if"-moved sure woke me up.

It also kind of doesn't work 100% with Set-ADAccountPassword. Only dodged a bullet there by getting my Get-ADUser filters correct the first time.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

hihifellow posted:

It also kind of doesn't work 100% with Set-ADAccountPassword. Only dodged a bullet there by getting my Get-ADUser filters correct the first time.

Holy goat! That's good to know.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just took a look in outlook and decided that "Cabana Lounge" and "Tiki Hut" are my new favorite conference rooms.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We had 7 meeting rooms when we moved into our current premises and the office manager sent an email to everyone asking for suggestions for what to name them.

Apparently naming them after (in)famous psych wards wasn't popular. :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All of our meeting rooms have 'clever' names. On this floor there are things like The Tree House, the Sandbox, Central Perk, Dodgeball, etc.

We have a whole building where all the rooms are table or video games.

Another building has room themes by floor.

Kind of fun, kind of a PITA, depends on the day.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1st Floor Breakout
1st Floor Boardroom
6th Floor West
6th floor North

Straightforward.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
All pretty straightforward meeting room names here, Conference Room 1, Conference Room 2 etc, until you get the room farthest away, it's called 'The Timbuktu Room'.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
One job had "manpoo" as a conference room for VPs.

One of the VPs had a homeless guy throw literal poo poo on his shoes as he was walking out of the building. He immediately kicked them off and walked in his socks to the nearest shoe store to buy new ones.

The conference room had framed photos of a pair of socked feet standing at various corners in our city.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
One place I worked at had "Great Men" rooms with Benjamin Franklin, etc. as the room names and giant framed pictures of each person. After some complaints they were renamed in the directory to 101, 102, 202, etc but the nameplates and pictures were never removed due to budget cuts in facilities management.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cheesy legal firm?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mad Wack posted:

101, 102, 202, etc

ugh. This flies well past "boring" into "uninformative." Where the hell is 202? Is it the big one or the small one on the second floor? Does it have a TV and a phone, I forget if that's 202 or 201?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

ugh. This flies well past "boring" into "uninformative." Where the hell is 202? Is it the big one or the small one on the second floor? Does it have a TV and a phone, I forget if that's 202 or 201?

oh that's 4098 but you can't book that one

my favorite is 308 which is a room with no table or chairs, just a projector in the ceiling and a telephone in the middle of the room on the floor

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Mad Wack posted:

my favorite is 308 which is a room with no table or chairs, just a projector in the ceiling and a telephone in the middle of the room on the floor

You forgot to mention the drain for waterboarding.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A ticket came in -

"We've noticed that our phone's power brick has been getting really hot lately and we're getting concerned. Should we replace this?"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mad Wack posted:

oh that's 4098 but you can't book that one

:psyduck:

At first you think "Oh cool a a standing meeting room that prevents people from sitting down, makes meetings short!" But then there's the projector. How do you use it? A laptop? Where does that go? On the floor of course, underneath everybody's feet! And the operator of the presentation has to sit down?

Also, the phone implies there may be conference calls. Why is a standing meeting on a conference call? That might drag on a bit while everybody is standing around getting pissed off that the conference guy can't access the PDF to keep up with the meeting.

But then they all realize, like you mentioned, that this isn't a standing meeting room. This is a result of the facilities budget being cut and suddenly there's writing on the wall. We're part of a company that can't afford chairs and a table? Goodbye!

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

You forgot to mention the drain for waterboarding.

Oh no, that's room 101.
We customize it for every meeting.
And for your meeting it will be full of Buffalo drives and CE impersonators yelling for solutions endlessly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Smuggins posted:

Oh no, that's room 101.
And for your meeting it will be full of Buffalo drives and CE impersonators yelling for solutions endlessly.

"Tell Julia it doesn't concern her! Make her buy consumer drives! Make her change the light bulbs!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

porktree posted:

All pretty straightforward meeting room names here, Conference Room 1, Conference Room 2 etc, until you get the room farthest away, it's called 'The Timbuktu Room'.

At a former job there was a room that was called engine room in two languages but class room in a third one that was added (to the signs) later.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Smuggins posted:

Oh no, that's room 101.

It's a big room, it can fit 40 people. That said, don't put more than 38 people in there.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we also have a "walk n work" room that is a treadmill locked to 2mph in a windowless room the exact size of the treadmill with no hvac

if you use it for more then 10 minutes the room quickly goes to 110+ temperatures

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kaethela posted:

A ticket came in -

"We've noticed that our phone's power brick has been getting really hot lately and we're getting concerned. Should we replace this?"

She'll be right, just make sure your insurance is up to date

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mad Wack posted:

we also have a "walk n work" room that is a treadmill locked to 2mph in a windowless room the exact size of the treadmill with no hvac

if you use it for more then 10 minutes the room quickly goes to 110+ temperatures

Doubles as a tardy deterrence room. For every minute you're late, you get a minute in the Hell Room. If you're more than 15 minutes late you can also elect to be murdered by HR and avoid the torture.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

A ticket came in -

The power supply is fine. Just needs a new laptop is all. Look, this doesn't concern you, lemme just quickly call Tiger Direct and get her a new laptop. It'll be fine with that power supply.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah but I can infer from 202 that it is on the second floor, the Ben Franklin conference room? No loving clue. (Of course that assumes whoever assigned the numbers had a logical, intuitive system....)

We've only got one conference room here, there is a room divider so sometimes you will have a meeting in conference north or conference south. I've worked in this building for over 2 years and I still can't remember which is which. :(

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Migishu posted:

The power supply is fine. Just needs a new laptop is all. Look, this doesn't concern you, lemme just quickly call Tiger Direct and get her a new laptop. It'll be fine with that power supply.

Ugh, you and your frivolous spending, just cut the damaged bit of cable off and solder it together.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What the gently caress is it with lovely cargo-cult IT managers and TigerDirect? My A+ teacher loved the site too and his knowledge of computer repair was last updated in 1995.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mad Wack posted:

Can you post a picture? This sounds wonderful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Segmentation Fault posted:

What the gently caress is it with lovely cargo-cult IT managers and TigerDirect? My A+ teacher loved the site too and his knowledge of computer repair was last updated in 1995.

You just answered your own question.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Tailored Sauce posted:

Can you post a picture? This sounds wonderful.

yeah i'll grab it when i'm back there in a few weeks - everyone works from home in december

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

All of our meeting rooms have 'clever' names. On this floor there are things like The Tree House, the Sandbox, Central Perk, Dodgeball, etc.

Ours are videogame places: Raccoon City, Bandle City, Orgrimmar, Aperture Labs, Rapture, Pandora, Hyrule et c. All with themed artwork and/or signed memorabilia. When we kicked open the new floors someone put in a room with scratch-and-sniff wallpaper (cherry and banana for pac man/donkey kong) and another with lego plates covering the wall (Bricksburg).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sirotan posted:

Yeah but I can infer from 202 that it is on the second floor, the Ben Franklin conference room? No loving clue. (Of course that assumes whoever assigned the numbers had a logical, intuitive system....)

We've only got one conference room here, there is a room divider so sometimes you will have a meeting in conference north or conference south. I've worked in this building for over 2 years and I still can't remember which is which. :(

Unless the number doesn't follow the convention :v:

We're a big site so everything has this cryptic address based on a grid. So an example would be 015-2 B401, which corresponds to building 015, floor 2 (whatever floor is lowest is floor 1, by the way, so whether floor 2 is ground level or upper differs building to building). B and 4 are coordinates in the grid and then locations are sequentially numbered from there. Everything, from desks, to conference rooms, to supply closets and bathrooms, has an address in this system, and the address doesn't tell you what kind of location it is.

Computer companies!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

carry on then posted:

Unless the number doesn't follow the convention :v:

We're a big site so everything has this cryptic address based on a grid. So an example would be 015-2 B401, which corresponds to building 015, floor 2 (whatever floor is lowest is floor 1, by the way, so whether floor 2 is ground level or upper differs building to building). B and 4 are coordinates in the grid and then locations are sequentially numbered from there. Everything, from desks, to conference rooms, to supply closets and bathrooms, has an address in this system, and the address doesn't tell you what kind of location it is.

Computer companies!

drat. . . did they assign cordinates for each bathroom stall too??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It makes battleships a lot easier

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The probably did internally, but not publicly. My old place had EVERYTHING labeled, which made it easy to report a problem with a power outlet (pwo-bld-###) or a water fountain (wtf-bld-###).

Not that they ever did anything about issues reported, but it made filing out the form easier.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, here's another thing that I'm sure lots of you will identify with. Just cause I like you all like that. :wink:

EDIT: Oh, and also this.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Rhymenoserous posted:

lol, these same people are shocked when I say "If I see a resume from a geek squad employee I just shuck it in the trash."

That place gives negative experience. Like you could go in as a talented sysadmin and come out as a HR person.

Not every employee they've ever had is a lying salesman piece of poo poo. I worked for Best Buy GS from 2006 - 2008 while the job market was in the toilet and I'd just finished college. There were several agents who genuinely knew their poo poo (myself included), and did everything they could to lessen the price gouging that corporate forced on us. The problem here is the corporation, not the techs. It hurt my soul to charge $200 for virus cleaning, but we tried to give freebies where we could.

That said, there are a lot of cases where they would move someone from computer sales to GS for the express sake of services sales (particularly new PC setups), but they were never allowed to actually work on computers on the bench (at least in my precinct). Some precincts do have lovely techs too, but that's like any work place.

In early 2009 they rebranded all their home theater installers to the Geek Squad brand, and that's why you see those ugly rear end panel trucks. Double-agents (in-home GS techs) still drive Geekmobiles (VW Beetles).

fake edit: Geek Squad, Precinct, Double-Agents, Counter Intelligence Agents (in-store support) and Geekmobiles are all official terms in the employee handbook, and yes, I hate myself for being part of the system, but a man's gotta eat.

• Locked thread