Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mincome works by giving you a minimum income that should be enough so that you aren't at the risk of starving if you are jobless. When you get a job, your Mincome is reduced by 50 cents for every 1 dollar you earn. If monthly Mincome is pegged at $2000, then you'd need to be making $4000 (a roughly entry level job! who knew) before you would be seeing 0 Mincome. That's not counting benefits, of course, which you wouldn't have if you were living off Mincome or part time.

So what this does is incentivize a number of behaviours. First, the number of people working minimum wage just to get by would be drastically reduced. Minimum wage jobs would be taken mostly by part timers, which in my opinion is the best possible outcome. So poorer families can focus on raising children/going to school/training/whatever instead of spending all of their time just trying to get by which theoretically would improve upward mobility for these people. Second it allows people to take more risks (~entrepreneurism~) as they don't run the possibility of not paying rent or not having food to eat.

Of course there are going to be layabouts but that's hardly the majority of people and perfect is the enemy of good and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Ikantski posted:

Liberals to announce that changes to federal tax brackets won’t add up

The only surprise is that they're announcing it so soon. If it was just off by a bit, they'd wait until it had been implemented for a year.

Its almost like they say one thing during the campaign only to do something opposite once elected. Hmm...

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
You guys need to re-read the article. It's saying that all adult fins are going to receive 800 euros a month. Period. No mention of employment status. So the choice is not sit at home and collect 800 or work 40 hours a week for a 1000. It's sit at home for 800 or work 40 hours a week for 1800.

Edit: the article mentions 800 euros a month tax free. So I don't think there's going to be a explicit claw back. Just a steeper income tax system.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 7, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cocoham posted:

As someone that barely knows anything about mincome, can someone explain why anyone would work a borderline minimum wage job over taking advantage of mincome? If the choices are work are 0 hours for $800, or work 80 hours for $1000, I can't imagine much working those hours for such little gain. Wouldn't that than raise the price of living, which would force whatever the mincome level is to raise?

There are plenty of ways to implement mincome, and this is the stupidest one. The smart proposals usually involve a gradual clawback rather than a 1:1 clawback like you're assuming. For example, you could simply treat mincome as actual income and essentially tax it back from the rich.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Helsing posted:

As I understand it -- and Pinterest Mom can probably either confirm or deny this -- every riding association in the conservative party has an equally strong vote regardless of how many active members it has, meaning a CPC riding with three active members in Montreal gets just as much sway over the next leader as a riding in rural Alberta with 100 active members. As a result there's potential for Quebec based conservatives to exercise a disproportionate impact on the leadership race. It's one of the reasons that Jean Charest could conceivably become the next Conservative leader, if he so desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08i9kvCJvJ0

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Eej posted:

When you get a job, your Mincome is reduced by 50 cents for every 1 dollar you earn.

Because it totally makes sense for poor people to have a 50% marginal income tax rate. :v:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The no snow tire using OLP transport minister announces the Lexus lane details coming out today with ... a vine of a song about a guy who left the city.

https://twitter.com/StevenDelDuca/status/673586821339570176

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Eej posted:

Mincome works by giving you a minimum income that should be enough so that you aren't at the risk of starving if you are jobless. When you get a job, your Mincome is reduced by 50 cents for every 1 dollar you earn. If monthly Mincome is pegged at $2000, then you'd need to be making $4000 (a roughly entry level job! who knew) before you would be seeing 0 Mincome. That's not counting benefits, of course, which you wouldn't have if you were living off Mincome or part time.

So what this does is incentivize a number of behaviours. First, the number of people working minimum wage just to get by would be drastically reduced. Minimum wage jobs would be taken mostly by part timers, which in my opinion is the best possible outcome. So poorer families can focus on raising children/going to school/training/whatever instead of spending all of their time just trying to get by which theoretically would improve upward mobility for these people. Second it allows people to take more risks (~entrepreneurism~) as they don't run the possibility of not paying rent or not having food to eat.

Of course there are going to be layabouts but that's hardly the majority of people and perfect is the enemy of good and all that.

That's one form of mincome. Studies and experiments done on it in the past have also just paid everyone, job or not a minimum income tax free. Finland is giving everyone 680 Euros(about 990 CAD) a month no matter what.

Cocoham posted:

As someone that barely knows anything about mincome, can someone explain why anyone would work a borderline minimum wage job over taking advantage of mincome? If the choices are work are 0 hours for $800, or work 80 hours for $1000, I can't imagine much working those hours for such little gain. Wouldn't that than raise the price of living, which would force whatever the mincome level is to raise?

Mincome is guaranteed income, anything you do on top of that is added income.

senae posted:

As someone who has spent a period of time unemployed but with enough money that I didn't need to find a job right away, I can field this: unemployment is a miserable existence and brings on crippling depression. I mean, I hope that changes to some degree in a post mincome world because we can automate a ton of low education jobs right now.

Isn't the assumption that we'd scrap the minimum wage and fund mincome using taxes on companies? If you're layering mincome on top of existing wages all you'd be doing is driving up the cost of living.

3 years ago I was deemed surplus in my ~management~ position at a large company, given a 6 month severence and show the door. It shouldn't of been a big deal, but I was making a really good wage(just over 70k) and I was ready to carve out a career. I was incredibly depressed and I found that every management/supervisory job I applied for saw me as a 23 year old with 3 years experience and wouldn't give me a shot and every minimum wage/entry level position saw me as an overqualified 23 year old who was unhirable. I ended up relying on a friend to get me in the door of a Call Centre and things have been okay, but gently caress.

Automation of low education jobs is going to happen fast in the next few years and the number of employable people is going to quickly outgrow the number of jobs available. In fact it may have already, but we haven't had a decent census since 2011 so we don't really know right now.

To your second point you still want minimum wage, you don't want corporations to see mincome as a reason to pay people only 3-4 dollars an hour because they have their ~Government Money~, it would be mostly funded through sharper progressive tax curves, sales tax and corporation taxes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Functionally with a mincome you'll end up with some people being paid below minimum wage anyway but it won't be at a structured job, it'll be people who quit their jobs to pursue their dreams of being a writer/artist/graphic designer or whatever and end up putting in more time than they get back in equivalent money from commissions or selling articles or whatever it is they do.

There's no need to allow companies to pay their employees $2/hour, the market will take care of a lot of it on its own--if your company sucks so much that people don't want to do your crappy job for minimum wage once they're no longer in danger of starving to death, either you improve working conditions or you raise wages until people are willing to take the job.

Alternate non-joke answer, you lobby the government until they give you TFWs who don't get mincome, and your lovely management of your Tim Hortons franchise continues unchanged.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
On thing that is different here compared to Finland is the physical size of our country, the small size of our labour force, and our rip-and-ship economy. The changes from UI (Unemployment Insurance) to EI were to a greater or lesser extent to encourage people to move to where the jobs were. This was a particular concern in areas of seasonal work like Newfoundland. You have to be able to starve the lazy fuckers out of their ancestral homes otherwise no one will go scrape tar out of Alberta's arsehole.

I suspect if the Koch brothers had a financial interest in Finland they wouldn't be getting Mincome.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/guy-turcotte-trial-verdict-1.3330322

Guy Turcotte found guilty of 2nd-degree murder in deaths of his 2 children

The jury had four possible verdicts from which to choose:

Guilty of first-degree murder.
Not criminally responsible due to mental illness.
Not guilty of first-degree murder but guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Not guilty of first-degree murder but guilty of second-degree murder.

Next up in NCR fairyland is Howard Richmond.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There were whisperings that his NCRness was bestowed upon him by a not entirely ethical medical evaluation by someone who felt some kind of allegiance to a fellow doctor who murdered his own children, and that Turcotte was never insane.

Richmond was, but the part about it making him more murdery than he should've been was demonstrably bullshit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hexigrammus posted:

You have to be able to starve the lazy fuckers out of their ancestral homes otherwise no one will go scrape tar out of Alberta's arsehole.

I suspect if the Koch brothers had a financial interest in Finland they wouldn't be getting Mincome.

Say what? People my age were dropping out of high school to go chase six-figure rig pig salaries all along even as everyone was screaming at them that it was a terrible, terrible idea. No "starving out" was necessary.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

quote:

Good Monday morning to you.

After several whirlwind jaunts across the pond and to faraway lands, Justin Trudeau heads into his first question period as prime minister today. He’s touted sunny ways since his election night win and although the other side of the House has also talked about playing nice, there will no doubt be battles going down. Here’s a few match-ups to watch.

CTV News is reporting that the Liberals are set to ask dozens of people recently appointed to government agencies and crown corporations by the previous Conservative government to step aside. Word is the letters are going out this morning asking the appointees to "voluntarily choose not to serve.” iPolitics first reported last month that former Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s cabinet quietly stacked government agencies and Crown corporations with “future appointments,” and early appointment renewals in the dying days of its regime, many of which were only scheduled to go into effect long after the Conservatives were defeated.

The Trudeau government is expected to acknowledge this week the its tax hike on the richest Canadians won’t cover the entire cost of its promised tax cut for the middle class. The Globe and Mail’s Daniel LeBlanc has that story.

For the first time in a decade, Canada has been asked to help facilitate the final negotiations on a deal to limit global warming and reduce carbon emissions worldwide. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius tasked 14 ministers from around the world with helping him with this week's critical talks. As CBC’s Nahlah Ayed reports, Environment Minister Catherine McKenna’s exact role will be set out today.

Still in Paris, Al Gore was singing and tweeting Quebec’s praises on the weekend for its leadership. The province announced it will contribute $25.5 million over five years to help French-speaking developing nations fight climate change. The former vice president thought that was ‘incroyable.’ Gore has also praised Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia for their commitment to reducing emissions, and tweeted support for Manitoba for launching a carbon market. "Canada is back," Gore said. "I don't know if it's OK for someone who's not Canadian to say that, but everyone knows it's true."

Although the Americans are okay with the Liberals’ decision to withdraw from the air campaign against ISIS, they expect Canada to continue contributing to the fight against the terror group. That’s the word from outgoing Canadian Ambassador to the U.S. Gary Doer. “There was a mandate given in the election campaign. The Americans respect that, but they expect us to continue to be part of the solution to defeat ISIL and I expect we will,” he told CTV’s Question Period yesterday.

Moving to the Senate, while Liberal Leader James Cowan thinks there’s good reason to believe reforms will see the upper chamber get better senators as a result, Opposition Leader Claude Carignan has concerns about Trudeau’s plan to appoint a non-partisan government “representative” in the Senate. He’s not convinced it’s possible to have an independent government leader in the Senate.

In British Columbia, Premier Christy Clark says she’s not supporting the proposed changes to the Senate, as all it does is attempt to give unelected people more legitimacy.

Although this new government has yet to have a single debate in the House, some eyes have already turned to the 2019 election campaign and what to do when the debates roll around. Academics, media professionals and a few political staffers met Saturday in Ottawa in a bid to better understand the brinksmanship that led to the Conservatives and then the New Democratic Party walking away from the traditional national debates, opting instead for a series of branded media events. Our Kyle Duggan has that story.

Here and there:
  • Statistics Canada releases a study on public confidence in Canadian institutions, 2013 and 2014.
  • Sen. Mike Duffy trial continues.
  • CARE Canada virtual media briefing on the COP21 Climate Change negotiations, food and nutrition security, and the plight of the world's most vulnerable people.
  • Daily question period in the Commons gets underway at 2:15 p.m.
  • The Pearson Centre holds a reception with speeches from the three major parties on “New Politics.” Invited guests include parliamentarians and staff, stakeholders and opinion leaders.
  • The Assembly of First Nations holds a Special Chiefs Assembly (strategy and dialogue session) in Gatineau.
Last night President Barack Obama spoke from the Oval Office and told millions of television viewers that last week's mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, was a terrorist attack by a couple who had gone down the "dark path of radicalization" and embraced a "perverted" form of Islam. He vowed to “destroy” ISIS in a relentless, strong and smart campaign.

For this first time in 95 years, the New York Times ran an editorial on its front page on Saturday. “The Gun Epidemic” bashed elected leaders for rejecting restrictions on guns and for failing to keep Americans safe. In many cases it was met with praise, in others not so much. One Conservative blogger shot bullets through the paper and then tweeted photos of it.

In Yemen, the governor of Aden was killed in a car bomb attack yesterday. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack. Six members of General Jaafar Mohammed Saad's entourage also died in the attack.

In happier news, former President Jimmy Carter says he’s cancer free.

Finally this morning, do you have your Christmas cards done? This Nevada politician has wasted no time in getting hers signed, sealed and delivered. It features her gun-toting ‘ordinary American family,’ and even comes with a small legend that labels the weapon each of them is wielding. Needless to say it’s gone off with a bang on social media.

With that, have yourself a great day.

International National Atlantic British Columbia

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PT6A posted:

Say what? People my age were dropping out of high school to go chase six-figure rig pig salaries all along even as everyone was screaming at them that it was a terrible, terrible idea. No "starving out" was necessary.

Well before your time, my son. It wasn't the entire discussion during the 80s, but it was definitely a consideration the (second to) last time the Conservatives were in power.

And then the Northern Cod stock got crashed and offshore oil became a Thing. All very complicated.

CanCon from 1981ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4HDMSOwH4

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where do you think King Klein got the idea to buy bus tickets for the poor out of the province in the 90's?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

jm20 posted:

CBC posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rdict-1.3330322

Guy Turcotte found guilty of 2nd-degree murder in deaths of his 2 children

The jury had four possible verdicts from which to choose:

Guilty of first-degree murder.
Not criminally responsible due to mental illness.
Not guilty of first-degree murder but guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Not guilty of first-degree murder but guilty of second-degree murder.
Next up in NCR fairyland is Howard Richmond.

So wait, the defense raised a possible defense cause the guy guy drank windshield washer fluid and stabbed his kids, the jury didn't buy it, found him guilty, and this is a case of NCR being a verdict totally out to lunch? Pretty sure this is the perfect example of the criminal justice system working.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think a real interesting case for NCR will be the eventual trial of Matt de Grood. I'm one or two degrees of separation away from him, and some of his victims, and from all accounts he just had a complete psychotic break with no warning. On the other hand, I can imagine that if he gets an NCR verdict for killing five people, there are going to be a lot of angry people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Newfie posted:

So wait, the defense raised a possible defense cause the guy guy drank windshield washer fluid and stabbed his kids, the jury didn't buy it, found him guilty, and this is a case of NCR being a verdict totally out to lunch? Pretty sure this is the perfect example of the criminal justice system working.

I think that was a comment on Turcotte's first acquittal for NCR, which mystified basically everyone.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

I think that was a comment on Turcotte's first acquittal for NCR, which mystified basically everyone.

Correct. The timeline was murder you kids, drink some fluids, claim NCR, get acquitted.

PT6A posted:

I think a real interesting case for NCR will be the eventual trial of Matt de Grood. I'm one or two degrees of separation away from him, and some of his victims, and from all accounts he just had a complete psychotic break with no warning. On the other hand, I can imagine that if he gets an NCR verdict for killing five people, there are going to be a lot of angry people.

NCR? more like bring back the rope.

Ron_Jeremy
Sep 29, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

That might matter to the four or five remaining red tories, but the average bitter ender Conservative party member is a total loving poltroon, who would gladly flip off Quebec and vote for Canada's Sarah Palin if they thought she was the right combination of "electable" (read: sheltering them from being accused of sexism), and right wing.

As I've posted before, the main issue with Clark running is the simple fact that she's a big time federal Liberal, to the point where the last time this came up, her ex-husband (and still her main political advisor) and the reporters who cover the leg in Victoria were calling it stupid.

https://twitter.com/marissenmark/status/659056603698626560
https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/656694787882418177
https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/656619679998341120

The Senate thing isn't a surprise. As much as people bash her, Christie Clark is a very good politician. And endorsing a senate that gives BC 6 seats of 104 is just begging for NDP attack ads next election.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

NCR? more like bring back the rope.

I agree, killing mentally ill people sounds like a very, very good idea! Can't see any problem with that, nope!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

I agree, killing mentally ill people sounds like a very, very good idea! Can't see any problem with that, nope!

Yeah you missed the point big time there. He was making fun of your idiotic implication that people being pissed at a verdict should have any effect on the verdict itself. Why should anyone care what the ignorant think about the concept of social justice?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah you missed the point big time there. He was making fun of your idiotic implication that people being pissed at a verdict should have any effect on the verdict itself. Why should anyone care what the ignorant think about the concept of social justice?

I didn't say it should impact the verdict. I'm of the opinion that, based on what I know about the case so far, NCR is absolutely the correct decision. That doesn't change the fact that people are going to be really pissed, and unfortunately there's a non-zero chance that will influence the decision. Further, jm20 has a nasty history of being very pro-punishment when it comes to criminal justice, so I was just taking him at his word (being largely consistent with the other opinions he's espoused).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its almost like they say one thing during the campaign only to do something opposite once elected. Hmm...

Except it looks like they're doing it anyway?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
This thread

PT6A posted:

That thread

PT6A posted:

I don't know what causes it. I just know there's never an excuse to assault your partner or any other member of your family. Or anyone at all, really, but domestic violence is that much worse because it's committed against someone in their own home, by someone they presumably love and care for. You're a lovely person if you do it, and if you can't stop yourself from being an abusive prick, and you're unwilling to seek whatever treatment is necessary, yes, you should kill yourself.

On one hand you advocate for the rights of the mentally ill, on the other you push for them to take self harm as a form of treatment :raise:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Abacus polled Conservative supporters on their preferences for the party's leadership:

CBC News posted:

Among those who say they currently support the Tories, however, MacKay still leads with 35 per cent. Wall comes second at 17 per cent. Kenney (12 per cent) and Charest (10 per cent) were the only other candidates to score in the double digits.
With MacKay at the helm, 47 per cent of Canadians said they would consider or certainly vote Conservative, putting him well ahead of other potential candidates. Kenney, Charest, Raitt and Wall all scored between 36 and 38 per cent, suggesting they have the ability to boost the Conservatives to competitive levels of support, but only just.

Polling at 32 to 34 per cent on this question, Bernier, Chong and Leitch would seemingly not expand the Conservatives' base of support, while Doug Ford would reduce it to just 25 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-cpc-leadership-poll-1.3353882

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

This thread

That thread

On one hand you advocate for the rights of the mentally ill, on the other you push for them to take self harm as a form of treatment :raise:

Beating women isn't caused by mental illness, it's caused by being a piece of poo poo. If you're mentally ill and/or you have desires to do disgusting criminal things, you should get help before you do them. If you prefer to do those things instead, you should remove yourself from society so you can't harm people.

Edit: I'd also like to add that there's a difference between being mentally ill and being so ill that you lack the capacity to distinguish between right and wrong.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 7, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HappyHippo posted:

Except it looks like they're doing it anyway?

Maybe the increased tax on the 1%ers will cover the tax break for the 45k-125k people but we'll be borrowing money to give the tax break to the 125k-200k folks. Which seems a little silly, there are probably better things to borrow for. I don't think they announced details today though, they might still change implementation details?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Beating women isn't caused by mental illness, it's caused by being a piece of poo poo. If you're mentally ill and/or you have desires to do disgusting criminal things, you should get help before you do them. If you prefer to do those things instead, you should remove yourself from society so you can't harm people.

Edit: I'd also like to add that there's a difference between being mentally ill and being so ill that you lack the capacity to distinguish between right and wrong.

Ah yes, the old "What I personally believe to be true makes it true" argument.

Mental illness isnt a binary switch that turns off and on in very set ways in any given person. Stop being so loving dense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Abacus polled Conservative supporters on their preferences for the party's leadership:

Oh thank god Charest's not winning.

Seriously, he was the worst Prime Minister we had since Duplessis (Duplessis still king of poo poo mountain forever though).

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

McKenna apparently announced Canada wants to target 1.5C as the uncrossable threshold rather than 2C.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

Would you support selectively implemented eugenics to purge our society of such actions like domestic violence?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

Would you support selectively implemented eugenics to purge our society of such actions like domestic violence?

No, I don't support the death penalty either. However, if you do something like kill someone, or gently caress a kid, or abuse your wife or child, I'm going to be well-pleased if you kill yourself and save us all a lot of time and trouble. There's a big difference between saying "these people should kill themselves" and "we should kill these people."

Also, as far as I know, being a piece of poo poo isn't genetic. Who knows what causes it? Does it matter when all is said and done?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ikantski posted:

Maybe the increased tax on the 1%ers will cover the tax break for the 45k-125k people but we'll be borrowing money to give the tax break to the 125k-200k folks. Which seems a little silly, there are probably better things to borrow for. I don't think they announced details today though, they might still change implementation details?

I agree it's not the best policy, I'd rather they raise that top rate and leave the other one alone. Or offset it with more brackets or a higher rate on the top bracket. But they're in a hard place now because they'll be criticized no matter what they do: if they keep the changes to exactly what they said then they'll lose revenue, if they make it revenue-neutral they'll be breaking their promise. I'd prefer the latter because I feel it's more in the spirit of what was promised but I suspect they'll go with the former. Or maybe they'll do something in between and please no one. Anyway I guess we'll find out soon.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HappyHippo posted:

I agree it's not the best policy, I'd rather they raise that top rate and leave the other one alone. Or offset it with more brackets or a higher rate on the top bracket. But they're in a hard place now because they'll be criticized no matter what they do: if they keep the changes to exactly what they said then they'll lose revenue, if they make it revenue-neutral they'll be breaking their promise. I'd prefer the latter because I feel it's more in the spirit of what was promised but I suspect they'll go with the former. Or maybe they'll do something in between and please no one. Anyway I guess we'll find out soon.

Mulcair will get a snappy "I guess it was your math that didn't add up" when they announce it at least. Pretty sure it was a promise that it'd be revenue neutral so it'll be broken either way.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I realize this article has already been posted but I feel like it really calls out for a bit of annotation.

Also Ikantski this is what you've been labelling a "progressive government" which, depending on how one thinks about it, either suggests progressive is a meaningless term that says more about how a party markets itself than how it governs or else that "progressive" is not the right label to be using for the Federal Liberals.

quote:

Liberals to announce that changes to federal tax brackets won’t add up
DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Dec. 06, 2015 11:30PM EST
Last updated Monday, Dec. 07, 2015 6:59AM EST

The Trudeau government will acknowledge this week that its tax hike on the richest Canadians won’t cover the entire cost of its promised tax cut for the middle class, adding to the fiscal pressures on coming federal budgets, sources said.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau (1) is set to announce changes to federal tax brackets in the coming days, at the same time as he will confirm that Ottawa is rolling back the maximum annual contribution to tax-free savings accounts to $5,500, from $10,000. Both changes are scheduled to take effect Jan.1.

The measures were key parts of the Liberal Party’s election platform, and are now the legislative priority as the House of Commons sits for one week ahead of the holiday break.

The Liberals had promised the lost revenue from their “middle-class tax cut” would be offset by a new tax bracket for income of more than $200,000. But economists have since raised questions about the Liberal Party’s numbers, which are magnified by new forecasts that show an increasingly negative picture of Ottawa’s fiscal situation. Instead of inheriting a balanced budget, the Liberals argue the government was already in the red when it took office, before it even started to implement ambitious spending plans and the tax cut. (2)

Mr. Morneau said he will present the costs and benefits of the tax changes when he introduces them this week. While he refused to tip his hand over the past few days, federal sources confirm the numbers do not balance, which will add to government deficits in coming years.

“There are going to have to be some adjustments around the margins,” a senior federal official said.

Still, the official said the numbers are not as bleak as those presented by the C.D. Howe Institute, which predicted a multibillion-dollar shortfall. (3)

Billing it as a middle-class tax cut, the Liberal government has vowed to reduce the tax rate on income between $44,701 and $89,401 to 20.5 per cent, from 22 per cent. It will also introduce a new tax rate of 33 per cent on income above $200,000, representing the top 1 per cent of income earners. The party has estimated these two measures will offset, meaning the tax hike would generate $3-billion in revenue and cover the $3-billion revenue cost of the tax cut.(4)

The C.D. Howe Institute, by comparison, estimated last week the tax increase will actually raise less than $1-billion.

And in an open letter to the Prime Minister, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives has critictized the shift as ineffectual.(5)

“Higher marginal rates may bring in revenue in the short term, but ultimately they encourage tax avoidance and undermine Canada’s international competitiveness,” CCCE president John Manley said.(6)

Liberal House Leader Dominic LeBlanc said in an interview the tax measures and the TFSA change will be announced simultaneously to allow taxpayers to adjust before they come into effect at the start of the new tax year. The Liberal government’s plan to end income-splitting for families will be formally announced next year, along with the creation of the promised Canada Child Benefit.

Mr. LeBlanc added that the House will spend much of its time this week debating the Throne Speech, giving a number of rookie MPs a chance to make their “maiden speech” in Parliament. In addition, there will be a vote on Thursday on the cost of resettling 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.

But economic issues stand to occupy much of the debate in Ottawa. The Parliamentary Budget Officer warned last week that Liberal assumptions for economic growth are “optimistic,” suggesting the government is counting on billions in future revenue that may not materialize.(7)

Speaking after the Speech from the Throne, Mr. Morneau said his government is banking on increased federal spending to stimulate Canada’s economy. He added that the middle-class will “invest” the proceeds of the tax cut in the economy, predicting it will stimulate growth across the country.(8)

“We’ll continue to be prudent in the face of all of our challenges and make sure we need to make responsible investments but we’re going to stay on the course of working to enhance growth to deal with the slowing economy,” the Finance Minister said.

(1) -- Bill Morneau was the chair of the C.D. Howe Institute until 2014.

(2) -- This is exactly what happened at the beginning of Dalton McGuinty's first term as Ontario premier in 2003.

(3) -- To reiterate: this is the agency that employed Bill Morneau up until last year!

(4) a.-- Liberal economics 101: putting a couple hundreds bucks in the pockets of "middle class" Canadians is worth undermining the fiscal solvency of universal government programs like medicare.

(4) b.-- That "middle class tax cut" is disproportionately going to favour the rich

quote:

Macdonald has forecast the benefits for what Statistics Canada calls “economic families,” which include couples, with or without children, and single parents. The roughly 1.6 million families making about $48,000 to $62,000 will see their tax bills trimmed by, on average, just $51, while those making $62,000 to $78,000 will save $117. The tax savings rise steadily with family income, to $521 on average for families in the $124,000 to $166,000 range, and $813 for those making $166,000 to $211,000. Above that level, the new, higher top tax bracket erases any savings the families got by paying less tax on income in the reduced middle tax bracket.

Macdonald dismisses the excuse that income-tax cuts almost automatically amount to more for those earning more money. “The smart folks at [the Canada Revenue Agency] can design you a tax to do whatever you want it to do,” he says. Even calling the Liberal proposal a middle-class tax break is debatable, Macdonald says, since those who stand to benefit the most—families in the $166,000 to $211,000 income range—are in the top 10 per cent of Canadian earners. He calls those familes “upper middle class.” (As for families earning more than $211,000, Macdonald says they will pay, on average, $2,912 more in federal tax.)

(5) -- The Canadian Council of Chief Executives is a powerful and influential business lobby group founded in the 1970s. It's current Chair person is one Paul Desmarais Jr., Co-Chief Executive Officer of Power Corporation of Canada and a native son of Canada's very own domestic oligarchy. The Desmarais family are notorious for their close relationship to federal politicians, especially in the Liberal party, and the aptly named Power cCorporation has lined the pockets of many Liberal (and other) politicians and operatives.:

wikipedia, Power Corporation posted:

Former Prime Minister of Canada, Paul Martin, was hired in the 1960s to work for Paul Desmarais, Sr. by Maurice Strong. Martin became President of Canada Steamship Lines, a subsidiary of Power Corp., and in 1981 Desmarais sold the company to Martin and a partner. Martin went on to make his personal fortune as an owner of CSL.

Former Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chrétien sat on the board of Power Corp. subsidiary Consolidated Bathurst in the late 1980s before he became the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. Chrétien's daughter France is married to the son of Paul Desmarais, Sr., André. Also Chrétien's chief of staff Eddie Goldenberg worked in the past for Power Corp.

Former Prime Minister of Canada, the late Pierre Trudeau, served in the mid-1990s on Power Corp.'s international advisory board. Trudeau's assistant Ted Johnson also worked for Power Corp. During the Trudeau administration Michael Pitfield held a variety of positions in government but during his time in the private sector he was at one time a Vice-Chairman of Power Corp. and is currently listed as a Director Emeritus.

(6) -- John Manley, who is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives. Oh, he was also Deputy Prime Minister between 2002 and 2003 for the Liberals. Noticing a pattern yet?

(7) -- Liberal campaigning 101: promise anything to get elected, especially if it involves "the middle class". Don't worry, after you're elected you can blame the previous government for running a secret deficit, or claim that international economic conditions were worse than expected.

(8) -- Modern "Keynesianism" 101: nevermind what Keynes may or may not have said. Never mind the fact that the historical record shows that the middle class in Canada is mostly a byproduct of 1) direct spending by government through universal programs and 2) a strong labour movement. Instead rely on an empirically questionable and economically imprecise set of assumptions about "multiplier" effects, and claim that the hands outs you give to your business friends and / or a couple key ridings you'll need to hold on to are meant to stimulate the economy. Whatever you do don't actually establish any more universal social programs paid for out of general evenue, such as daycare, dental care, optometry, pharma-care, a guaranteed basic income, etc. because those might actually work, which would make people less reliant on market incomes, which in turn would make them less dependent on their masters in the private sector, and that would really not be in the interests of the Liberal party's real base base, would it? (Here's a pro read for those of you who want an old but still good source on why corporate executives will tend to oppose government transfers, even when it's seemingly in their own best economic interests.)

tl;dr -- don't get fooled again

So yeah, here we go again with the party that did more to cute the Canadian welfare state than Harper could have dreamed of -- the party that slashed our social programs and then ploughed the money into corporate income tax cuts. The party that promised to renegotiate our bad trade deals on the campaign trail and instead doubled down on them once in office.

As I've repeated ad nauseum, it really doesn't matter what a party promises to do while campaigning. Actually look at who the party recruits, and check out where party members end up after serving their time in government.

But hey, they're gonna legalize weed. :420:

p.s. -- because I can't go one post without complaining about the NDP. Read over this post and if you feel outraged by anything here then take a long hard think on how you feel about Brian Topp or Bard Lavigne going to work for corporate lobbying / strategy firms. A social democratic party that lets it's top leaders and advisers sup at the trough of corporate corruption (and this is certainly corruption regardless of the fact it's technically legal) is a bad joke.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I for one am cautiously optimistic.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/helping-families/

We will give families more money to help with the high cost of raising their kids.

We will cancel tax breaks and benefits for the wealthy – including the Universal Child Care Benefit – and introduce a new Canada Child Benefit to give Canadian families more money to raise their kids.

#realchange is shifting the tax break trojan horse from children directly onto payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

jm20 posted:

What about genetic engineering and gene therapy?

If we can remove the root cause I'd be for it. Lord knows it would help with my short temper and alcoholism.