Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish they had made something like DND Insider for 5e. The closest is that horrifically lovely VTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Why did WoTC shut down the forums? That seems like a very strange thing to do in a hobby where community is a massive component.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Radio Talmudist posted:

Why did WoTC shut down the forums? That seems like a very strange thing to do in a hobby where community is a massive component.

Good money is on them nuking the MTG forums and being so bad at technology, they couldn't keep one or the other around. So they trashed both.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Radio Talmudist posted:

They are wildly incompetent at the internet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My bet is that the forums weren't up to date on Various Internet Compatibility things and they couldn't be arsed to work on it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wayne Anthony Reynolds still making art for WotC is the worst thing about 5e.

I remember the first time i saw Wayne Reynolds art I was like "gently caress yes this what fantasy art is supposed to be". But now he "influences" a new generation of lovely artists and while I like his carrying piles of poo poo style, cause that's what I imagine an adventure should look like, all the house artists have an incredibly difficult time recreating those characters. Also he's terrible at hands and feet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic (pdf link)

It has variant Tieflings, including an Abyssal Tiefling that can cast random spells.

It has a bunch of demon-summoning spells:

Conjure Lesser Demon as a level 3 spell to summon "up to 8" Manes or Dretches, which are CR 1/8 and CR 1/4 creatures, respectively
Conjure Barlgura as a level 4 spell to summon a CR 5 demon
Conjure Shadow Demon as a level 4 spell to summon a CR 4 demon
Conjure Vrock as a level 5 spell to summon a CR 6 demon
Conjure Hezrou as a level 7 spell to summon a CR 8 demon

The gimmick is that the lesser demons and the Barlgura are all instantly hostile to anything that's not a demon, while the other summons need secret DM Charisma rolls to see if you can retain control of them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Man, I'm playing through Princes of the Apocalypse, and it seems really poorly designed. Like, if our GM wasn't basically letting us take long rests after every other fight or so, there would be basically no way for us to get past some of these encounters. We were level four, and we were fighting an enemy casting 6th level spells. Then we fought a demon that could teleport and cast darkness at will (which it could see through). So we effectively couldn't see it, had no idea where it was to target it, and had no spells capable of dispelling the darkness. If we hadn't unloaded all of our area effect spells and gotten lucky (and the DM decided to have it flee rather than stand up and keep fighting), we would've been pretty helpless.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Radio Talmudist posted:

WoTC's D&D forums were lovely. Their organization was lovely. They were filled with lovely posters making lovely posts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JackMann posted:

Man, I'm playing through Princes of the Apocalypse, and it seems really poorly designed. Like, if our GM wasn't basically letting us take long rests after every other fight or so, there would be basically no way for us to get past some of these encounters. We were level four, and we were fighting an enemy casting 6th level spells. Then we fought a demon that could teleport and cast darkness at will (which it could see through). So we effectively couldn't see it, had no idea where it was to target it, and had no spells capable of dispelling the darkness. If we hadn't unloaded all of our area effect spells and gotten lucky (and the DM decided to have it flee rather than stand up and keep fighting), we would've been pretty helpless.

Welcome to 5e's adventure path design. It's not their fault the encounters are poorly tuned, it's up to the DM to fix them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Today I discovered after like a year of playing a Warlock that Hex doesn't affect saving throws, just ability checks. Whoops!
Luckily that side of Hex hasn't actually come up too much for my group.
Which now means - in battle, what ability checks do get made often? Strength I would assume, for grapples and such?

Our GM has also learned (maybe) that a single enemy that can be reached in melee range can't challenge a party. A troll may be CR 5, and the party may also be level 5, but there's six of us instead of four. And so that troll got lucky-stunned by the monk on round 1, then alpha-striked by eldritch blasts, a rogue's assassinate, a paladin's strikes, and firebolts to make sure it didn't get back up.

edit: bonus - guess the party from the artist's impression! (may contain some embellishments that are not actually present in the game world)

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 8, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Ojetor posted:

We just got to level 5 in a Princes of the Apocalypse campaign where I'm playing a cleric. After the session the DM and started chatting about my new spells available and I figured out that I'm really annoyed by the existence of Revivify. I've never really liked resurrection mechanics in any edition of D&D but Revivify is by far the worst version of it I've seen. Why does this spell even exist? The "one minute dead" time limit makes it ridiculous. Either I prepare it and save a slot for it all day, in which case the GM feels like it's OK to kill someone in a random encounter since I have it, or I don't prepare it and I will never need it anyway because our GM isn't going to just kill a character unless it is a truly dramatic moment.

Honestly this feels like it should just be a class feature once per day or week or whatever and not a spell.

It exists for the nostalgic campaign where the DM isn't tailoring anything for your characters. Everything is just there and it's your job as a player to prepare for it based on the retained meta-knowledge of your last attempts.

Yeah, I don't think many people play that way either.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

bewilderment posted:

Our GM has also learned (maybe) that a single enemy that can be reached in melee range can't challenge a party. A troll may be CR 5, and the party may also be level 5, but there's six of us instead of four. And so that troll got lucky-stunned by the monk on round 1, then alpha-striked by eldritch blasts, a rogue's assassinate, a paladin's strikes, and firebolts to make sure it didn't get back up.

I definitely learned the action economy the hard way the first time I DMed. Legendary actions in 5th help a bit with this but minions still have a place.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Radio Talmudist posted:

djw175 posted:

Good money is on them nuking the MTG forums and being so bad at technology, they couldn't keep one or the other around. So they trashed both.

Yeah, nobody used the MtG forums - all the real MtG online discussions were happening elsewhere - so most likely they figured it wasn't worth keeping the forums tech around when their cash cow wasn't using it, and the D&D sub-forums were just a side casualty of it.

Also, WotC has always been notoriously awful at anything tech-driven and especially anything online.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

WoTC's D&D forums were lovely. Their organization was lovely. They were filled with lovely posters making lovely posts.

The loss of the optimization guides for each class is a pretty big deal. At least you can still see them via the Wayback Machine, I guess.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

RPZip posted:

The loss of the optimization guides for each class is a pretty big deal. At least you can still see them via the Wayback Machine, I guess.

They've been moved to enworld.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Ojetor posted:

Revivify.

There's a second level spell, gentle repose, that pauses the timer for dead people for at least ten days. It can be cast as a ritual, but the time extension for doing so kind of defeats the purpose. You could keep that prepared and swap in revivify after you have the body preserved, but you're still out a spell in the end. At least gentle repose has some very niche alternate uses.

Honestly, revivify is for the kind of meat-grinder campaigns that 5e just doesn't support after everyone survives the early levels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Obligatory plug on boss monster design and better monster and encounter creation in general

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

RPZip posted:

3.x handbooks were mostly shifted to GiantITP and the minmax forums long ago; most 4e handbooks were shifted to ENWorld, and I think a goon copied literally all of them; I know I grabbed copies of both guides and general character builds I enjoyed that I didn't initially see on ENWorld.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Revivify exists for the dynamic, sexy Emergency Medical Wizards of Sigilian Hope. Each week, a desperate extraplanar plea is heard and these young skilled experts in the reviving arts must chart a path through the planes and face what perils stand between them and their charges. And with EMWs this passionate, the Elemental Plane of Fire isn't the only thing that gets hot.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PJOmega posted:

Revivify exists for the dynamic, sexy Emergency Medical Wizards of Sigilian Hope. Each week, a desperate extraplanar plea is heard and these young skilled experts in the reviving arts must chart a path through the planes and face what perils stand between them and their charges. And with EMWs this passionate, the Elemental Plane of Fire isn't the only thing that gets hot.
You could totally do a DnD take on a Cyberpunk2020 medical response/insurance team.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was rather imagining a Marcus Licinius Crassus situation.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

You could totally do a DnD take on a Cyberpunk2020 medical response/insurance team.

Hackmaster has MICHARUs (Mobile Infantry Combat Healing And Resurrection Units) in the list of NPC hirelings - they're basically mercenary clerics. I always thought about (but never got aroudn to) running a game based on the idea that the party is these guys hired to trek out into the wilderness, find <dungeon>, and bring back (to life and then to civilization) the guy that got splattered across the walls by whatever ancient trap.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 8, 2015

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

If anyone uses Fantasy Grounds, the Dungeon Master's guide just got released. If you want it for less than the 50 USD that it is up for on the US site (unsure about EU), feel free to give me a PM and I can sort out getting it through my store for 40 USD (its localised currency for NZ) for you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Hackmaster has MICHARUs (Mobile Infantry Combat Healing And Resurrection Units) in the list of NPC hirelings - they're basically mercenary clerics. I always thought about (but never got aroudn to) running a game based on the idea that the party is these guys hired to trek out into the wilderness, find <dungeon>, and bring back (to life and then to civilization) the guy that got splattered across the walls by whatever ancient trap.
Thats it. If I ever run a real game again with people that have their own mental history of DnD tropes Im doing this. :D

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FRINGE posted:

"In case of emergency, break enchanted bead."
"Gold Level DungeonDoc memberships come with a wand of Gentle Repose. Platinum level DungeonDoc memberships guarantee 1 hour or less response times or your Resurrection is free*."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

PJOmega posted:

"In case of emergency, break enchanted bead."
"Gold Level DungeonDoc memberships come with a wand of Gentle Repose. Platinum level DungeonDoc memberships guarantee 1 hour or less response times or your Resurrection is free*."
Every other day is another trip to some part of White Plume Mountain.

Gotta pity the team on Undermountain duty.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PJOmega posted:

*Offer does not apply to persons drifting on the Ethereal or deep Astral plane, lost in Ravenloft, imprisoned in certain areas of certain Outer Planes (see attached list), or, and we cannot stress this enough, stranded in any part of the Tomb of Horrors.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

FRINGE posted:

Better: do a D&D game where the PCs ARE the DungeonDoc med team.

E: BRB pitching this to my group for a 4e game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

New Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic (pdf link)

It has variant Tieflings, including an Abyssal Tiefling that can cast random spells.

It has a bunch of demon-summoning spells:

Conjure Lesser Demon as a level 3 spell to summon "up to 8" Manes or Dretches, which are CR 1/8 and CR 1/4 creatures, respectively
Conjure Barlgura as a level 4 spell to summon a CR 5 demon
Conjure Shadow Demon as a level 4 spell to summon a CR 4 demon
Conjure Vrock as a level 5 spell to summon a CR 6 demon
Conjure Hezrou as a level 7 spell to summon a CR 8 demon

The gimmick is that the lesser demons and the Barlgura are all instantly hostile to anything that's not a demon, while the other summons need secret DM Charisma rolls to see if you can retain control of them.

Since nobody else has pointed it out: :laffo: this is the most 5e thing, a big list of spells and ceremonies all built around making deals with demons and summoning evil outsiders...and they're wizards only. Warlocks can't access them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Since nobody else has pointed it out: :laffo: this is the most 5e thing, a big list of spells and ceremonies all built around making deals with demons and summoning evil outsiders...and they're wizards only. Warlocks can't access them.

:stare:

Is this related to how warlocks don't have spellcasting?

e: Restricted to Wizard and Sorcerer, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 8, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yes, sorcerer gets it to, pretty much just because wizard gets it.

EDIT: Literally have there been any of these that didn't have new wizard toys?

EDIT 2: There was the psionic one. Whatever happened to that? There was also the runecaster or w/e; I'm guessing that put the nail in the prestige class coffin rather fast.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 8, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How many new fighting styles or maneuvers have been released?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

How many new fighting styles or maneuvers have been released?

Tunnel Fighter, but of course that one is way too OP so I'll be disallowing it from my table. Anyway what can you expect from Unearthed Arcana, it's all just experimental stuff so we can't expect the team to treat it with any sort of rigor.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Spiteski posted:

If anyone uses Fantasy Grounds, the Dungeon Master's guide just got released. If you want it for less than the 50 USD that it is up for on the US site (unsure about EU), feel free to give me a PM and I can sort out getting it through my store for 40 USD (its localised currency for NZ) for you.

I don't use Fantasy Grounds, does this mean a PDF has been released for that platform?

Another little niggle: why is there so much granularity in terms of currency? I know some people dig that kind of detail but I'm constantly confused at what things should be worth. I just want the option of having everything converted to GP.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tradition and the standard fantasy inflation problem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radio Talmudist posted:

I don't use Fantasy Grounds, does this mean a PDF has been released for that platform?

Another little niggle: why is there so much granularity in terms of currency? I know some people dig that kind of detail but I'm constantly confused at what things should be worth. I just want the option of having everything converted to GP.

It's super annoying because you're not even moving up the currency in tiers - there are some things that are in cp or sp from level 1, but you're also dealing with three digit amounts of gp from the very start of the game.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's super annoying because you're not even moving up the currency in tiers - there are some things that are in cp or sp from level 1, but you're also dealing with three digit amounts of gp from the very start of the game.

You mean its super annoying because in a game that has FOUR decimal currencies which already is stupid overkill, it sticks electrum in the middle as the 5 silver/half gold coin. Cause literally everyone needs THAT :jerkbag:

I would ask why, but we know why, and I had to get my currency-rage off my chest, so.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Moinkmaster posted:

You mean its super annoying because in a game that has FOUR decimal currencies which already is stupid overkill, it sticks electrum in the middle as the 5 silver/half gold coin. Cause literally everyone needs THAT :jerkbag:

I would ask why, but we know why, and I had to get my currency-rage off my chest, so.

"I'll take a venti potion of healing."

"Ok, that'll be seven half-dollars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

People made about currency: do not read the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.