Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

So if I had say 30,000 dollars sitting in a savings account, but I was going to buy a house in the next 2-5 years, should I be investing that money somewhere? Would it be stupid to kick up my TSP to 90% and burn through my savings? Is it better to invest it now or wait and use it as a down payment? Idk, this is hypothetical let's say.

Yes you should be investing that money somewhere.

If you already have a Roth IRA you'll be able to pull $10,000 out tax-free for a first-time home buy (only if the money has been in there for >5 years). If you don't have an IRA, then you should, but it's not where you want to stick your home purchase money if your horizon is less than 5 years. The TSP is actually one of the best instruments but has very limited fund options. That said, those funds are all you really need (bond, treasuries, and a few index funds). Though be careful, the TSP is not a 401(k) but it's very similar and may have distribution (withdrawal) restrictions, I'm not sure. If there are I'd recommend just plugging the money you're saving for a home into a Vanguard S&P 500 index fund.Vanguard has the lowest expense ratios outside of the TSP of which I'm aware and $10,000 or more will get you Admiral share eligibility for even lower ratios. The risk you take is that the market may be volatile in the short term but generally over a long span you'll see significant gain in your funds.

I don't recommend money market or CDs right now - you'll lose money due to inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
^^^In short, this is terrible advice. Post in Bfc for a more detailed explanation or good advice. Never touch your IRA or put short term money in a 100% stock fund.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Had a good drill weekend. Got badged up so I don't need my hand held going to the head. Took part in a retirement ceremony for a mustang who joined up at 37. Hope springs eternal!

Helped set a printer to a smoldering mess when it took a death grip on a piece of paper while trying to fix the fuser (guides fell off). Was told if I found a used fuser to replace it with they would reimburse us from a bake sale.
Would be quicker than requesting a new one.

That's just a joke right?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Had a good drill weekend. Got badged up so I don't need my hand held going to the head. Took part in a retirement ceremony for a mustang who joined up at 37. Hope springs eternal!

Helped set a printer to a smoldering mess when it took a death grip on a piece of paper while trying to fix the fuser (guides fell off). Was told if I found a used fuser to replace it with they would reimburse us from a bake sale.
Would be quicker than requesting a new one.

That's just a joke right?

The one printer that we shared with the other JRIC unit died early this year and a new one is not in the foreseeable future.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's kinda sad because we have like a two years supply of toner cartridges for this particular 7 year old machine but it's the only one of its type in the building so we can't even cannabilize other units for it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've found USAA to be pretty lovely when it comes to mortgages and several friends of mine have had the same experience as well.

Also, I'd say buying a house is kind of a crummy investment in general unless you plan on living in it for a substantial amount of time. If you have a lot of cash sitting in a savings account there are better ways to put it to work.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

vulturesrow posted:

I've found USAA to be pretty lovely when it comes to mortgages and several friends of mine have had the same experience as well.

Also, I'd say buying a house is kind of a crummy investment in general unless you plan on living in it for a substantial amount of time. If you have a lot of cash sitting in a savings account there are better ways to put it to work.

The issue is in most popular markets, rent rises are rising much much faster than inflation, so buying a house is simply a way of preventing rent rises from eating away at your paycheck.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
thanks for the advice everyone. from what I gather I need to invest my money, and also every investment is bad. I think im getting this now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Put it all in magic cards.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We had drill weekend here and I'm not very rah rah moto but I'm consistently amazed at how incredibly awful the reservists manage to look in uniform. They probably like their lives a lot better, too :(

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

thanks for the advice everyone. from what I gather I need to invest my money, and also every investment is bad. I think im getting this now

No, there are just few hard rules. It requires some research on your part and knowing what you're trying to accomplish and the trade-offs (risk you're willing/able to absorb). Five years is going to be different from two years, and whether it MUST be available at that time is going to be different from whether or not you're flexible with your horizon. Your lifestyle, the market you're buying in, your long-term plans for it, and your personal variables have to factor that into your decisions.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 7, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Just get your Raptor at no money down and 78% interest man. You're reenlisting anyway, steady flow of cash man.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

Put it all in magic cards.

And bitcoins

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And purestrain gold.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nick Soapdish posted:

And purestrain gold.

or just dirt that contains gold and pan your own gold out

just make sure you get the gold dirt from a reputable dirt seller or this could be a lousy investment

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Largest destroyer built for Navy headed to sea for testing

quote:

the ship's skipper, Navy Capt. James Kirk

Are you loving kidding me.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

That's the kind of guy who is accelerated through the ranks just because people want the prophecy fulfilled.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Seriously. Can you imagine the O-6 board where CDR Kirk comes up for consideration? Who's gonna be the guy who says no to that?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I hope that after he pins on a star he goes back and steals it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Navy pride class, I feel gayer already.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That reminds me our new CO of our unit wants to instill the warrior spirit.

Ima put my war face on the next time I service a printer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

That reminds me our new CO of our unit wants to instill the warrior spirit.

Ima put my war face on the next time I service a printer.

It's my hope that one day someone high up in the chain realizes the majority of navy personnel are techs and operators and saying things like "instill the warrior spirit" is loving dumb as hell.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Seriously. Can you imagine the O-6 board where CDR Kirk comes up for consideration? Who's gonna be the guy who says no to that?

We will approve this promotion on the condition that you change your middle name to Tiberius.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

It's my hope that one day someone high up in the chain realizes the majority of navy personnel are techs and operators and saying things like "instill the warrior spirit" is ducking dumb as hell.

A glance at the Air Force will free you of any hope.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So good luck to anyone that needs an old LES for any reason. If you're in the Army or Air Force you just fill out a form online, if you're in the Navy though you have t osend off a bunch of personal information to a 35 character dfas email address and hope you get a response. loving outrageous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How does that work? DFAS doesn't fall under any of the branches, so it seems like the procedure would be the same.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Army and Air Force probably have some special MOS that handles all the steps from there while the Navy believes you should gently caress yourself and handle your poo poo your drat self.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Army and Air Force probably have some special MOS that handles all the steps from there while the Navy believes you should gently caress yourself and handle your poo poo your drat self.

:lol: No. God no. Finance on the Af side is so hosed up that my entire squadron went six months before getting our deployment money because it took that long for our wing commander to get involved and call the single organization that handles that poo poo nowadays. My BAH was hosed the entire time I was on active duty. Almost all personnelists and finance folks got the axe in the early-mid 2000s. Now most of that work falls on regular squadron folks - pilots in a flying squadron, etc - who handle it for about a year before moving on and new person rolls in who doesn't know the system.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

:lol: No. God no. Finance on the Af side is so hosed up that my entire squadron went six months before getting our deployment money because it took that long for our wing commander to get involved and call the single organization that handles that poo poo nowadays. My BAH was hosed the entire time I was on active duty. Almost all personnelists and finance folks got the axe in the early-mid 2000s. Now most of that work falls on regular squadron folks - pilots in a flying squadron, etc - who handle it for about a year before moving on and new person rolls in who doesn't know the system.

JFC that sounds terrible. I'd imagine forces with a job code for literally everything wouldn't be so hosed up. But that's god drat hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Technically every base has a finance office, but travel vouchers and all that stuff are handled centrally. And yet the finance office at my base when I got out in 2012 was still running about 2-3 weeks behind on answering emails, and their stated policy was that they would not answer the phone or return calls.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

So they tried to do the Navy thing but without any of the YNs or PSs?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Capt Kirk and the USS Zumwalt headed to sea

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Capt Kirk and the USS Zumwalt headed to sea

It looks grouchy.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looks very http://cdn4.static.ovimg.com/m/038qjj/?width=150

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
is there a reason our new ship looks like a star destroyer?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Darth Trump has been playing a long game.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir Lucius posted:

Because it's bitchin?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

~stealth technologies~

according to some news article i read its supposed to have the cross section of a small boat and the acoustics of a los angeles class sub. i don't think the latter part would ever really hold up considering surface boats cant really have effective sound silencing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All of those angles help reduce radar cross section by not providing a solid reflection. There are also certainly passive countermeasure stuff all over everything topside to reduce it further.

It's going to pop up significantly smaller than it actually is on a radar for certain. I don't know that they can get small boat size but it's really loving sweet if they can. I also don't think it's anything near as loving quiet as a sub. I'm sure there's some ST types that will get a good chuckle out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
How far technology has come...

• Locked thread