Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

God it is so infuriating when (and this is with a squad of that's all partied up mind you) your team has two guys left and one guy is trying to rambo the objective and the other is dicking around on the roof.

"Call of coot get down there Pooppoo needs you"

"Why?"

"Because he needs help"

"Nah I'm gonna breach this window"

"What? Why? There's nobody even in that building!"

*Pooppoo has died
*30 seconds of watching coot try to get to the hostage before the round ends. He is unsuccessful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
From the AMA a second ago:

quote:

SERVER TICK RATE We are currently investigating having a higher tick rate, which would improve positioning and shooting replication. The current servers run at a tick rate of 64, but the position of players is updated 30 times per second. We have plans to address this very soon and are currently running tests in which we have a position update rate of 60. If the results are satisfying, we will be deploying this in a future update as soon as possible.

That sounds pretty good. I hope they follow through with that. Also they mentioned that an update should be coming out mid-december, so next week or the week after?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Also:

quote:

CONNECTION TO WRONG DATA CENTER Another issue we will be working on is that right now, some players connect to the wrong data centers. If you are not connected to the nearest data center, your gameplay experience will likely not be ideal. We believe that the best solution for this will be to allow the players to select their data centers and that is what we will be working on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hey, sometimes maybe Ubisoft is alright, you know?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
How do you make a tacticool game and not offer tactical operators the option to add tactical flashlights to their tactical guns?

This is a more important issue than netcode, tick rates or general stability. :colbert:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Moartoast posted:

At worst I've met one singular person who was 4chanredditgaf.jpg and I'm sure his respective edgy-jaded thread will love how much he's spiting the man by paying full price for the game spouting "lol ubisoft" memes before teamkilling us and getting kicked within the span of ten seconds.

There seemed to be a lot of that in the beta, but haven't run into it since release. I've only TKed two guys: One was a dude who was ignoring the whole team yelling at him to bring the defuser to the bomb site for like 3 minutes, and the other was this one loudmouth who kept calling people faggots for picking the wrong combination of operators for TH and not following his perfect strat. I haven't even had an accidental what with all of the wigglers who like to jump in front of me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

Bot mode customization is unfortunately a very rare thing nowadays. In fact, barring corner cases of ambitious indie games, the last game I remember letting you do more than set the number/difficulty of bots is Timesplitters: Future Perfect, and that was what, a decade ago?

That's not to say I don't want that stuff for TH, because I'm in complete agreement with the sentiment. I barely give any fucks about the PVP but there's something uniquely appealing about Terrorist Hunt that I haven't seen in co-op games in a long time now, and I really hope that their ESPORTS™ fascination won't make Ubi completely ignore TH from here on out. I want some expansions and a fair few patches to round out the potential for cool co-op freewheeling tactics.

I've already met a surprising amount of friendly cool people in Hunt pubbies, too, some of whom I'm now playing with regularly and have already pulled all-nighters with, which is kind of nuts considering the current climate of online public gaming, but also exemplifies why I play loads of co-op games but don't touch PVP with a ten foot pole.

At worst I've met one singular person who was 4chanredditgaf.jpg and I'm sure his respective edgy-jaded thread will love how much he's spiting the man by paying full price for the game spouting "lol ubisoft" memes before teamkilling us and getting kicked within the span of ten seconds.

I'd love to see an expansion of TH as well - I'm one of those weird people that prefers co-op/SP to PvP stuff. Actually what I'd love to see is for them to take the system they built in R6: Siege and add a whole mode reminiscent of the original R6 games with preplanning and multiple squads and so on, but that won't happen so my dream of a SWAT 4/R6 crossover sequel will remain a dream.

Unrelated to the above: Is it just me or are shotguns absolutely worthless in this game? The spread pattern is so wide that I'm lucky to hit anything at all even at fairly close range. Was there some point that they were too good during beta and this is a post-nerf version that hasn't been balanced out, or did someone legitimately decide that making them effectively melee weapons was the right thing to do?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Shotguns are pretty fantastic for making and using murder holes, and killing shields.

If you have a shotgun you want to get into the habit of putting holes in a lot of walls.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is enemy AI not that good at shooting through small holes in barricades when you're rappelling upside down?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Shotguns do a ton of damage per pellet, and are generally one to two shot kills at up to 10 meters. Combined with the fact that they're very much usable while hipfiring, you can use them to quickly peek out and instantly kill people in CQC. Also, any headshot, including a single pellet to the head, is a guaranteed kill.

That's all in MP, though. In T-Hunt they're just not very good because the AI gradually loses accuracy the further away from you they are — making it optimal to stay as far away as possible — and if you want instant kills, Glaz is a better option anyway.

SlayVus posted:

Is it just me or is enemy AI not that good at shooting through small holes in barricades when you're rappelling upside down?

They're not. That's one of the ways to cheese T-Hunt (especially Classic) on Lone Wolf Realistic.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 8, 2015

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Blood color is unintentional and will be fixed in mid december update
Tickrate is set at 64, but for some reason player movement is only refreshed 30 times a second, they are looking into this
There are no current plans for uniforms for separate teams
They are working on allowing players to select their own data center
The University map will be available for PVP and PVE, along with the other 4 maps that will come out in the next year
They do not have plans for further single player situations
They are working on the open broadcasting mic issue
Character Chat limit will be upped to 128
They are likely not to do random camera placement to reduce randomness in a FPS game. (Not sure how this doesn't apply to random spawn locations in casual matches)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i have no friends and man bomb defusal terro hunt by yourself is rough. dudes just swarm you from every direction and I've only come very close to winning one in the past 2 hours.

someday!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

Blood color is unintentional and will be fixed in mid december update
Tickrate is set at 64, but for some reason player movement is only refreshed 30 times a second, they are looking into this
There are no current plans for uniforms for separate teams
They are working on allowing players to select their own data center
The University map will be available for PVP and PVE, along with the other 4 maps that will come out in the next year
They do not have plans for further single player situations
They are working on the open broadcasting mic issue
Character Chat limit will be upped to 128
They are likely not to do random camera placement to reduce randomness in a FPS game. (Not sure how this doesn't apply to random spawn locations in casual matches)

Blood colour is a bug? I love the huge bright red splashes. Way more visually interesting than the muddy red-brown most games use.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3vujdk/here_is_some_data_about_armor_and_other_things/

Supposedly no difference between armor 2 and armor 3, but armor 4 from rook is better.
Shields are much more exposed when stationary than you'd expect.
Twitch drone damage is only a maximum of 10 to the lightest armor.
Damage numbers suggest we do not want to silence our pistols.
Laser beams are only visible very close. Unlikely to give you away. Dot might but it's small.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 8, 2015

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Apologies to the goons I was just playing with. I had to take an important phone call with my boss, and drop out. Sorry about that.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Carecat posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3vujdk/here_is_some_data_about_armor_and_other_things/

Supposedly no difference between armor 2 and armor, but armor 4 from rook is better.
Shields are much more exposed when stationary than you'd expect.
Twitch drone damage is only a maximum of 10 to the lightest armor.
Damage numbers suggest we do not want to silence our pistols.
Laser beams are only visible very close. Unlikely to give you away. Dot might but it's small.

Most of the game takes place at very close distances and I've killed several people because I was about to enter a room and saw their beam coming out of the doorway. It's something to be aware of IMO; when I'm watching a door and I have a gun with a laser on it I keep the laser pointed at the wall right against the door so that they can't see it coming.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hey R6 dev, can you fix the loving party system???

I have a group of 5 that plays in random combinations from 2 to 5 ppl. Playing with 2 or 3 ppl is usually fine, but when we try to go with 4 or 5 we run into unending issues. It will match make us into 3 separate matches. It will send 3 of us to match making and 1 person sits on the main screen not loading at all.

Its very frustrating to try and get a group together because if we go back to the main menu one time it has the potential to break everything for like 15 minutes.

We are essentially 'locked in' to playing if we ever get a match that works.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Hey R6 dev, can you fix the loving party system???

I have a group of 5 that plays in random combinations from 2 to 5 ppl. Playing with 2 or 3 ppl is usually fine, but when we try to go with 4 or 5 we run into unending issues. It will match make us into 3 separate matches. It will send 3 of us to match making and 1 person sits on the main screen not loading at all.

Its very frustrating to try and get a group together because if we go back to the main menu one time it has the potential to break everything for like 15 minutes.

We are essentially 'locked in' to playing if we ever get a match that works.

My group restarts the game if we back out to the main menu. Its inconvenient, but we don't run into many matchmaking problems.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Edit: Damnit double post, stupid forums error!!

Symetrique posted:

My group restarts the game if we back out to the main menu. Its inconvenient, but we don't run into many matchmaking problems.

Yea we do this too, but its loving inconvenient and we hates it. Especially if something happens where we have to back out like immediately from matchmaking. Seems the more people we have in the party the bigger the likelihood of it loving up. Shits dumb. This game is mega fun when I can get the matchmaking going, especially with friends. I just want the party system to be smooth. (Also let us join on friends)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 8, 2015

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

OctaMurk posted:

Most of the game takes place at very close distances and I've killed several people because I was about to enter a room and saw their beam coming out of the doorway. It's something to be aware of IMO; when I'm watching a door and I have a gun with a laser on it I keep the laser pointed at the wall right against the door so that they can't see it coming.

Lasers turn off when you ADS.

Unless I'm just totally loving wrong but I'm like 99% on this.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I just realised that Mute jammers will prevent Fuze from firing his grenade breaching device if it's been attached to a surface in range of a jammer. I suppose this will also work for other devices that are placed and then triggered remotely, like breaching charges.

Edit: Does anyone know if you're meant to be able to safely jump your scouting drones over Mute jammers?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

You shouldn't really be using lasers at all, even with a shield. The pistol accuracy nerf was big enough that it completely negates that strategy, laser or otherwise. You just need to line your shots up while still shielding and use the almost instant ADS to your advantage to get a quick headshot, it's even easier if you have Blitz.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Thermite seems like an absolute must have on all Attack teams. Without him your options are too limited. Which Defenders do you guys think are equally important? Castle? Mute? Rook?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Gunder posted:

Thermite seems like an absolute must have on all Attack teams. Without him your options are too limited. Which Defenders do you guys think are equally important? Castle? Mute? Rook?

Thermite/Thatcher and Castle/Mute are probably in the same field. They're not necessary, but they're operators that are valuable on every map in every mode, and nobody will ever complain that you're bringing them.

So, what are everyone's most played atk/def operators so far statistically?

Edit: Oh, and by the way, found something neat out about Mute's jammers: they also prevent Blitz from using his flash.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

Edit: Oh, and by the way, found something neat out about Mute's jammers: they also prevent Blitz from using his flash.

It's weird. I find Blitz's flash to be insanely useful, but I never see my teammates use it. It's frustrating when he's my favorite operator, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

Rook is definitely a "nice to have" and he's certainly easy to play (plop down you armour as soon as you start. You are now done thinking about your special ability). Castle can also be helpful but it depends a lot on where your objectives are - sometimes there's just too many entry points for your 3 bulletproof barricades to really make a difference.

I haven't played Mute yet, but I have played in matches against him where the jamming signals actually did a fairly good job at cutting off our breaching options since a lot of the points we wanted to blast in were covered by the jammers.

Fuze can also be really amazing if the defenders have all decided to camp up near each other. If he doesn't score any kills at the very least he'll flush them out of a room in a panic without exposing himself to any danger at all.

It seems like there aren't really any "Must have" operators on either side, although there are a couple that are borderline useless, in multiplayer at least. IQ's special can locate bombs if you didn't manage to find them with drones and that's about all it's good for. Twitch is also not super useful, just because using her special ability means not being able to actually run around and shoot people. Kapkan doesn't SEEM to be very useful just because of how visible his traps are - although I guess the point is more to be a "no, you aren't coming in this way" thing rather than actually scoring kills with them.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Plan Z posted:

It's weird. I find Blitz's flash to be insanely useful, but I never see my teammates use it. It's frustrating when he's my favorite operator, too.

It's great, he's my favorite attacker as well. But I've noticed sometimes that even when an enemy puts their hand up in front of their face like they're blind and were facing right at you, they have no blindness effect on their own screen. It's weirdly inconsistent.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dvsilverwing posted:

Thermite/Thatcher and Castle/Mute are probably in the same field. They're not necessary, but they're operators that are valuable on every map in every mode, and nobody will ever complain that you're bringing them.

How do I see these stats? All I can find are the bio/stats on the operator page and that's not nearly as comprehensive

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Kapkan doesn't SEEM to be very useful just because of how visible his traps are - although I guess the point is more to be a "no, you aren't coming in this way" thing rather than actually scoring kills with them.

Kapkan is useful because he is a 3 armor operator with nitro that has access to 2 really good guns & you're rarely going to go up against a team that is so smart that your trip mines do nothing.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pandaK posted:

How do I see these stats? All I can find are the bio/stats on the operator page and that's not nearly as comprehensive

game-rainbow6.ubi.com

Also free 10 points on Uplay for logging onto it.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

pandaK posted:

looks like the website, it gives you stats: https://game-rainbow6.ubi.com/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

They are also avaliable in the operators menu, under statistics. The same area you upgrade the guns in.

My go-to soldiers have been thatcher/thermite and Jager/Bandit. I have been trying to use Blitz more, though; I am just awful at using the shield effectively. Hard to line up headshots with the ADS on a controller still

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Huh, all the questions i had come here to ask just now got answered either in the reddit link or in the thread, how about that :v:

Mute's jammers also block Thermite's charges from going off as well if it's close enough to the wall i guess? He's ending being way better than i first imagined.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

It's great, he's my favorite attacker as well. But I've noticed sometimes that even when an enemy puts their hand up in front of their face like they're blind and were facing right at you, they have no blindness effect on their own screen. It's weirdly inconsistent.

I think it may have a diminished range compared to flash grenades. I've tried using the flash at close distances to AI, and gotten no reaciton out of them.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

quote:

Mute's jammers also block Thermite's charges from going off as well if it's close enough to the wall i guess? He's ending being way better than i first imagined.

Yeah, they should block anything in that radius. I try to put them between two reinforced walls, but I'm not sure if that is increasing or decreasing their effectiveness (or keeping it the same, for that matter).

I just wish there were more mod options for guns. Though, I'm pretty sure they said that was in the pipes in the AMA.

Payday has spoiled my gun barbie time. :negative:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I think it may have a diminished range compared to flash grenades. I've tried using the flash at close distances to AI, and gotten no reaciton out of them.

I know it has a relatively short range, I'm talking specifically about when you're very clearly in range and they play the animation as if blinded. I don't know if it's a graphics settings thing or a latency thing or something, but it usually happens multiple times with the same person while working fine on other people. I was in a game either yesterday or Saturday and while I was getting easy blind headshots and melees on multiple people per attacking round, one guy got me on all 3 attacking rounds while he should have been blind. It wasn't a situation of "oh I thought he was blind and he wasn't", he was playing the animation, on the death animation he was staring right at the shield when it went off and he just kept aiming perfectly despite it, tracking me just fine, and he was the only one it happened with... multiple attacking rounds in a row.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe he was just botting.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Dvsilverwing posted:

I have played Thermite/Castle more than all the other operators combined as I feel they are a must have for every team and the idiots I play with always rush for Fuze or pick some random operators.

(castle shotgun is the poo poo, yes put a laser on it)

Feel that an attack team without Thermite, Thatcher and Fuze is going to be quite handicapped so I always pick one of those if they are free.
Maybe you can get some nice "rush" builds with fast running/breaching operators such as Ash and Sledge.

I used to love Blitz during the beta but he has been nerfed too hard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mine most played operators so far are Ash and Castle, but I have played just a few hours as of yet and I have unlocked just 5 operators total, since I can't find time to do the situations the way I want to do them, and since I prioritise getting all the guns the way I want over unlocking the operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

I wish Castle's armored barricades required thermite to breach, but still they are an OK solution for angles that you are more worried about being shot through than people actually breaching through. I'm still trying to figure out how to best use his deployable bulletproof shield though. It seems like using those defensively as a thing to peak out from behind never really works out, and just alerts the enemy that you will be around there instead of being in some place they don't expect. A different way I've been experimenting with is putting it more forward in a path of attack where enemies would come from, where they have no choice but to vault over it if they don't have an Ash to destroy it. The bad part about this is it gives them bulletproof cover and in Siege you can still stay sighted and aiming when vaulting over things so it's not THAT big a hindrance.

• Locked thread