Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lurdiak posted:

I am not happy about some of the recent posts in this thread at all.

The ones about dick breaking or the ones about beaver dams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Honestly this topic is still better than 90% of the internet so don't look a gift horse in the dick.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fried Chicken posted:

Works fine for cephalopods

Not when they're not underwater?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Not when they're not underwater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lom5kM4ytaI

As you can see from this video, they don't have any problem on the surface. It's just that it makes more sense for them to be underwater.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why his arm doesn't have anything like a skeletal structure.

Yeah it kinda seems like a glaring omission, doesn't it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does Robot feel pain

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

The longer/more popular something becomes, the chances of conversations about that thing being focused on dicks approaches 100%. Dickwin's law, if you will.

I call this the QI effect.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lurdiak posted:

I am not happy about some of the recent posts in this thread at all.

I agree, they are kinda a handfull if i'm honest.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does Robot feel pain

"Okay, Robot, I'm activating the new pain sensors, so you might--"
"AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGHHHGHHHHH-- Oh. Rebooting."

Imagine THAT two-pager.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does Robot feel pain

She'd have to specifically program him to because pain is just a perception etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hahaha I'd forgotten about that GC page. Yeah, some of them can certainly get around, it's just not a very apt comparison for something that wants to parkour around the Court.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'd thought the 'strange stuff' he was logging was pain, he just didn't interpret it as such yet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For me, the most terrifying arc in Star Trek: The Next Generation was anything related to Lore's manic psychopathy or Data's batshit-insane mania when first trying out his emotions chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5gpoqyiNw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m35s

How Robot reacts long-term to the gradual increase in his mind and body's complexity is easily one of the best plots of this comic, particularly as we have some insight into how horribly misinterpreted (or correctly interpreted?) some of his spiritual premonitions are.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EmmyOk posted:

She'd have to specifically program him to because pain is just a perception etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4L2dFoUysU&t=468s

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is the only correct reference.
https://youtu.be/sJlPr2KHSFo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

This is reminding me of the tree arm so I can't see showing it off to Shadow ending well

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kat is a generous god at least

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

Kat is a generous god at least

Please tell me where this came from.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Kat should really have given him like a five pound weight and a hand grip and told him to start with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Paz' animal doctor side takes over in a crisis.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Robot you really should've read up on biological stuff.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Robot finds out biological body is a huge drag, disbands cult. Plotline resolved.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Robot just wishes he could upgrade his weak biological arm with a rad strong robot arm right about now.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
This broken finger is just the beginning.

"Greetings, I'm Robot... And this is Jackass."

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Katerina "The Flesh Is Weak" Donlan. Ave Deus Mechanicus.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Pain is basically what keep us organic type people from constantly breaking ourselves too, so that might be where this is headed. And won't that just do wonders for Robot's weird messiah complex. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think he's already feeling pain, but doesn't understand what it is. Hence the log.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
This is an amusing situation, but much like most of Kat's research, she's really bad at explaining and communicating to Robot how different biological materials are from robotics. Not that I really fault her that much, since how do you go about explaining to someone the aspects of being a biological creature. Especially since we have no experience of what it is like to be a robot.

How would you explain it?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I want Kat to explain to the readers how Robot will make mad gains without being able to eat.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
clearly kat needs to start replacing parts of herself with robot bits, then she can explain it better!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

YF-23 posted:

I want Kat to explain to the readers how Robot will make mad gains without being able to eat.

What I'm getting out of this page is that Robot's battery is supplying the energy for all the arm's metabolic functions. Going a step further, maybe the "limiters" can be broken down into the materials to repair the arm, proportionately to how much more energy the arm needs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Carrasco posted:

What I'm getting out of this page is that Robot's battery is supplying the energy for all the arm's metabolic functions. Going a step further, maybe the "limiters" can be broken down into the materials to repair the arm, proportionately to how much more energy the arm needs.

Frankly, I don't see self-repair function without nanomachines. The gray goo death of the planet is coming.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's an organic arm. I have an organic arm and I'm pretty sure they don't need nanomachines.

Besides, if Kat could do nanomachines the very first thing she would have done is invent CODEC and give it to Annie.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Carrasco posted:

It's an organic arm. I have an organic arm and I'm pretty sure they don't need nanomachines.

Besides, if Kat could do nanomachines the very first thing she would have done is invent CODEC and give it to Annie.

Your arm contains millions of biological machines ;) Kat has shown before that she's very capable of growing organic structures though.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Carrasco posted:

What do you think white/red blood cells and platelets and stuff are? Those ARE nanomachines, son!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, there's zero actual difference between cells and nanomachines aside from their origins. DNA is just a tape drive with the programming.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grey goo is a stupid sci fi concept anyway.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

you were warned posted:

"Okay, Robot, I'm activating the new pain sensors, so you might--"
"AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGHHHGHHHHH-- Oh. Rebooting."

Imagine THAT two-pager.
"Ms. Kat, disable my pain inhibitors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

"Ms. Kat, disable my pain inhibitors."

Ysengrin can be seen in the background rocking the gently caress out on guitar w/Coyote on drums

RULES OF NATURE