Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Due to my dad's Alzheimer's and the fact his home care aren't really caring about him, I get the task to tell dad, who is currently in hospital, that he can't go home.

That sucks dude, sorry you have to do that :(

But to be honest if it were me in the hospital I'd want to hear it from my son not some doctor or something. Hopefully my son will be around, can't imagine going through that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

does anyone else ever just make a spreadsheet to figure something out

i just made one to calculate potential final grades for one of my classes where the loving professor changed the grading scale a week and a half before the end of class.

I tend to optimize my efforts towards what's worth the most, so naturally this hurt me, but after making a spreadsheet the damage is not as bad as i thought; maximum of like 1% difference between old and new scales.

it's almost fun

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I've noticed that in a lot of different threads people complain about car interiors being lovely. GM makes cheap, plastic interiors, even for their high end cars. Nissan's interiors look cheap. Ford and Subarus always have rattles. So my question is, who makes good interiors?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mazda has been my favorite lately, awesome interiors.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My Hyundai's interior is actually a gently caress ton nicer than my SS/SC's was. Dunno how good it will be 10 years from now though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Good point, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a taxi, since foil probably wouldn't transfer color like that.

Here's the sticker on the outer shell of the mirror:

And here's the one on the mirror itself:

"20200540" is the part number I used to identify the mirror as belonging to a BMW. The corresponding left side mirror is "20200539".

The 1E7 on the housing sticker is a paint code for a toyota. The fact that the date on the glass is much more recent than the date on the housing leads me to guess that they were in an another accident where they broke the glass but the housing was salvageable and a shop when with whatever was closest that they could get quickly. You're probably looking for mid 2000's toyota sedan thats been repaired several times instead of a recently released bmw that would be much easier to find. Sorry. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

In it, voted whatever.

Due to my dad's Alzheimer's and the fact his home care aren't really caring about him, I get the task to tell dad, who is currently in hospital, that he can't go home.

That sucks man. I fought tooth and nail to keep my grandmother out of a home as several others in the family wanted her in one.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

mariooncrack posted:

So I've noticed that in a lot of different threads people complain about car interiors being lovely. GM makes cheap, plastic interiors, even for their high end cars. Nissan's interiors look cheap. Ford and Subarus always have rattles. So my question is, who makes good interiors?

The only things missing from the interior of my base-model VW Golf are adequate cup holders. Other than that, it's 12 years old and holding up very well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The interior on my girl's old MK4 Jetta was a lot nicer than her's and my roommate's 2013 Jettas IMO.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The interior on my girl's old MK4 Jetta was a lot nicer than her's and my roommate's 2013 Jettas IMO.

My MK4 interior is holding up surprisingly well despite me really not doing much to care for it. Cloth on the doors is getting a little loose and one of the edges came up the other day but otherwise it still looks fine and cleans up really nice. Newer VW's I've had as rentals and loaners felt cheap in comparison but that seems to be common among new cars.

Compared to say early BMW E36 interior that starts falling apart when they rolled off the assembly line. Think Dad has reattached his a few times and it still creaks and rattles like a mofo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My friend just bought a 2015 Jetta with the two-tone sport interior at a pretty insane price (like, $10.5k cash out the door, he capitalized on the VW brand image issues when the emissions thing first hit hard) and the interior is really nice. Soft in the right places, textured differently depending on where you're looking (unlike GM or Chrysler interiors that are 100% that faux-leather plastic imprint). I'd be happy with it.

Of course, I thought that my 1997 Outback interior was okay, if only a little drab :shrug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

i just made one to calculate potential final grades for one of my classes where the loving professor changed the grading scale a week and a half before the end of class.

I tend to optimize my efforts towards what's worth the most, so naturally this hurt me, but after making a spreadsheet the damage is not as bad as i thought; maximum of like 1% difference between old and new scales.

it's almost fun

This is basically myjob.xls.

I had to figure out a logic table last week, and I basically brute forced it on paper with pencil and had a half of a dozen hand drawn tables floating around to solve it. I started to make an Excel sheet to be able to pump parameters into my solution, but I had already proved it works and I had to focus on getting the Lexus ready for the race.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Aaaaaaand now I have to get into reloading.

The cheapest I can find .458 Lott is $4.50/rd. That's $90 for a box of 20.

Ozmiander posted:

Do you want that reloading press Motronic ended up not snagging?

Does this do anything for you? Cast marks say LYMAN ALL-AMERICAN PRESS "TURRET"

It's got 270 win mag dies on it, which may not be there anymore if I don't have them otherwise "in stock".

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Enourmo posted:

Absolutely. I found an error in the answer sheet of my daughter's homework with one, because it was a compound interest question and we couldn't get the formula to match the answer, ever. So I ran it out manually using excel and sure enough, whoever wrote the answer key transposed two numbers and she did it right the first time.

I ordered odd numbers of waterjet parts this week for a friend and myself, and I made a quick spreadsheet to figure out how much each of us owes on the bill, since I'm getting one each of three parts, two each of two parts, and he's getting one part plus two of one of the same parts I'm getting.

That and at my last job I replaced basic calculus with a spreadsheet where I sampled data and simply dumped the data into excel and summed the area under each data point to get area under the curve.

I also track all my project part number data and cost in spreadsheets.

And yes, when you get it working nicely it is almost fun.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5332971684.html

Can anybody give me a super quick tutorial on what to look for and what to avoid with the fairly modern Volvo?
Post up what you find in the Volvo megathread, we'll help you out. If that particular car was a wagon I'd actually be interested in it due to color combo and features. It is of the most trouble free generation, and it's actually moddable to make it a real monster too.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 8, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My roommate hasn't left his room since the Pats lost last night. He didn't even go to work. If I don't see him tomorrow morning I am gonna make sure he didn't commit seppuku.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

LloydDobler posted:

I ordered odd numbers of waterjet parts this week for a friend and myself, and I made a quick spreadsheet to figure out how much each of us owes on the bill, since I'm getting one each of three parts, two each of two parts, and he's getting one part plus two of one of the same parts I'm getting.

You have a waterjet?
Or access to one?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

mariooncrack posted:

Play in the Sheep Game and find out! :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

You have a waterjet?
Or access to one?

with Big Blue Saw, everyone has a waterjet!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CommieGIR posted:

The AHU is really cheap and common, and parts tend to be extremely easy to get ahold of. The ALH is a little more rare and pricey because they tend to come on Automatics and have the larger injection pumps, I took a risk when I bought mine for $200 out of that Beetle that had a head on collision.

Here's the thing, and its what I think the V8 crowd tends to forget: Displacement CAN be replaced, and you don't have to break 500 HP to have a really fun and possibly even competitive car.

Is it cheaper? Probably not. But in the end, you can do plenty of fun things with a 250-350 HP inline 4/5/6. It doesn't have to turn into 'Man, I've got so much displacement and that V8 feel...'
Show me an N/A 3 liter I6 with 400-500HP.

Displacement can be replaced, but there are sacrifices to be made when you do.

When the biggest downside of an LS swap is "its another boring LS swap" its a pretty solid deal overall.

BigBlueSaw
Jun 1, 2010
Let us know how it turns out!

As for figuring out costs on a file with multiple parts: try looking at the high quantity (50 part) cost on each individual file.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommieGIR posted:

Everybody does it. And then they act as if they've done something amazing.

Muffinpox and I saw an FD driving around, and we pulled up behind it, and of course it had a 5.7 sticker on the back. I suppose the less reliable the original motor, the more likely one you see on the road will have an LS motor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Show me an N/A 3 liter I6 with 400-500HP.

Displacement can be replaced, but there are sacrifices to be made when you do.

When the biggest downside of an LS swap is "its another boring LS swap" its a pretty solid deal overall.

500 HP is not some holy number, and there are 250-350 HP motors that can wipe the slate of 500 HP motors. 500 HP doesn't really mean anything, and the whole "500 HP N/A now what?" :smuggo: poo poo is really old.

I'm sorry you dislike forced induction? :shrug:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My roommate hasn't left his room since the Pats lost last night. He didn't even go to work. If I don't see him tomorrow morning I am gonna make sure he didn't commit seppuku.

A guy I used to be friends with was arrested after he flipped a table when the Lions hosed themselves the other night.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

500 HP is not some holy number, and there are 250-350 HP motors that can wipe the slate of 500 HP motors. 500 HP doesn't really mean anything, and the whole "500 HP N/A now what?" :smuggo: poo poo is really old.

Yeah....but it's fun.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

350hp motors that can wipe the slate of 500hp motors? Like?

I'm not against FI, but I do keep in mind there are downsides to it as well as benefits.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ilkhan posted:

350hp motors that can wipe the slate of 500hp motors? Like?

I'm not against FI, but I do keep in mind there are downsides to it as well as benefits.

A 350hp Supra will wipe the floor with a 500hp fully loaded tractor trailer.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like projects that keep true to the spirit of the car, which is my primary resistance with the whole LS swap thing.

I once asked a bunch of autocross guys what a good FWD car to buy was and they almost all in unison replied "a miata". I would think/hope that car people defaulting to the most basic obvious choice without thinking of something with a little personality is the bigger issue Commie is getting at here. If your goal is straight power that's fine, but you're going to lose some of the essence of what that car originally was in the process, which is why I'm uncomfortable with LS swap being applied to everything. For example I'd personally find a Renesis swapped NSU Ro80 more interesting than an LS swapped RX7.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

someday i'll own a rotary swapped C4

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

1500quidporsche posted:

I like projects that keep true to the spirit of the car, which is my primary resistance with the whole LS swap thing.

I once asked a bunch of autocross guys what a good FWD car to buy was and they almost all in unison replied "a miata". I would think/hope that car people defaulting to the most basic obvious choice without thinking of something with a little personality is the bigger issue Commie is getting at here. If your goal is straight power that's fine, but you're going to lose some of the essence of what that car originally was in the process, which is why I'm uncomfortable with LS swap being applied to everything. For example I'd personally find a Renesis swapped NSU Ro80 more interesting than an LS swapped RX7.

I think buying a fwd converted Miata would have already killed the ~*Soul of The Car*~.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

LS swap everything, gently caress the haters :v:

That being said, I still want to swap a 7.3L Power Stroke into my Crown Vic one day, just because :allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ozmiander posted:

I think buying a fwd converted Miata would have already killed the ~*Soul of The Car*~.

I think you'll find the 90s Lotus Elan is the most soulful and introspective of cars avaliable in the used car market today.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

1500quidporsche posted:

I think you'll find the 90s Lotus Elan is the most soulful and introspective of cars avaliable in the used car market today.

But how much better would it be if it just did ZOMG:BRUM?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elmnt80 posted:

The 1E7 on the housing sticker is a paint code for a toyota. The fact that the date on the glass is much more recent than the date on the housing leads me to guess that they were in an another accident where they broke the glass but the housing was salvageable and a shop when with whatever was closest that they could get quickly. You're probably looking for mid 2000's toyota sedan thats been repaired several times instead of a recently released bmw that would be much easier to find. Sorry. :(

The mirror is a fancy electronic dimmable one, which costs like €200 second hand. Who in the world would put that on a Toyota with a busted mirror? It's not like Toyota parts are hard to come by :confused:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
christ i'm gonna regret touching this argument / beating this dead horse

CommieGIR posted:

Everybody does it. And then they act as if they've done something amazing.

Emphasis mine.

1500quidporsche posted:

Agree with this. Where's the fun in doing something thousands of people have done before? If your goal is a certain ET, or a certain laptime, skidpad G-load, or whatever, sure, go right ahead!
But if your goal is to build something interesting that you can be proud of, show off at meets/shows, make peoples' jaws drop, then "I TOOK [ALREADY PRETTY GOOD CAR] AND PUT AN LS3 IN IT" isn't going to get you there without you doing anything else.

The problem isn't the LS swaps. If you want to do an LS swap, go right ahead - I'm just sick of the people who act like they're gods of motoring because they put an LS in something.

This is why my (slightly-stalled) Subaru build is keeping the sequential twin turbo setup if at all possible; there's dozens of Gen3 TT legacies (here and in japan at least) with single-turbo swapped motors in them. It's played out. It's not interesting, it's not unique, it doesn't involve any actual creativity. If I was chasing numbers, it's no doubt the way I'd go - but I'm not chasing numbers, I'm chasing a 'feel' (for lack of a better word), so the twins stay.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well I had no call from the hospital, even after calling them. What a wasted day

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

A 350hp Supra will wipe the floor with a 500hp fully loaded tractor trailer.
all else being equal, obviously.

1500quidporsche posted:

True. An LS swap isn't an interesting choice. But its an easy choice. Cheap, compact, and as much power as you can afford. If your goal is "moar powah!!!", its hard to beat an LS.

But there are certainly more niche choices for various chassis.
If 20B's didn't bust a rotor seal when you look at them funny or snack on oil with every tank and were available in stacks at every junkyard nationwide they'd be competition. But they're not.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 8, 2015

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

zundfolge posted:

The transmissions are usually the most troublesome part in that generation of Volvo but if you test drive it and it shifts well (no delay going into gear, no flaring, no harsh or delayed shifts) it should be fine as long as you change the fluid regularly. There are a couple electrical modules that can fail and the replacements have to be coded to the car by the dealer. Since that one is AWD keep in mind that the transfer case, propshaft, and control module are several hundred dollars each just for parts if they fail. On the basic maintenance front, that one is due for a timing belt ASAP if it hasn't been replaced-the interval is every 10 years or 100K. It's a $1K job at most shops so you might use that as a bargaining chip.

Newer Volvos depreciate like mad because they released some lovely products around the turn of the millennium and they're really expensive to repair if you have a shop do the work. Mechanical repairs are pretty straightforward if you want to work on it yourself but anything requiring software has to be done by the dealer or a shop with the Volvo diagnostic software.

If you save some money for emergency repairs and stay on top of the preventive maintenance they're pretty pleasant cars to own. They're reliable but they don't handle neglect like a Camry or Accord. If you take care of it it should last to 200K miles, at least.

Thanks a lot! That's about what I figured. I really like the look of that car so it definitely on my list. I got the call today about my GTP and the verdict is... Drum roll.... Totally hosed just like I was expecting. Apparently the water pump is worse off than I thought as well so I'm definitely buying a car this week.

I have about $12k, max to spend. I decided that I really like not having a payment so I'm going to limit myself to that. I'm probably not going to get any of the cars from my brothers lot. I just don't like anything he has there right now. That Fusion was nice but its a little too spendy.

I was looking around and I think I found one that I really, really like. It's a 2007 Legacy Limited. 2.5 liter, no turbo. 73k miles. Looks to be optioned out well. Leather, sunroof, heated seats and I even like the stock wheels. It's got all the stuff I like. It looks to be super clean in the photos and the tires look good. It's $11k which seems like a good price.

http://www.appleautomotive.com/mobile/Used-2007-Subaru-Legacy-25-i-Limited-York-PA/vd/31619239

I really love this generation Legacy too. My girlfriend has a 2010 Legacy that's nice but its always struck me being a little puffy looking. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow to see how it drives, make sure it isn't crusty underneath and maybe look at some other stuff on that lot. If that Legacy is a bummer and I don't see anything else there, that Volvo is my #2 and I'll go look over to Lancaster and check that out this weekend.

I'll stop annoying everybody with my car shopping frenzy once I finally buy something but for now, can anybody give me the quick and dirty on those Legacys? If somebody can look up the VIN for me it'd be much appreciated...

4S3BL626X77212233

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I know the GTP isn't a rocketship by modern standards, but a non-turbo fully loaded legacy is going to be glacially slow comparatively.
I'd imagine gas mileage is probably about the same too.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
the non-turbo 4gen legacy is slow as balllllllllllls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Obligatory ej25 knock-knock joke reference

• Locked thread