Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

ZombieApostate posted:

Do subs use sonar instead of radar to detect surface ships while submerged? Their radar seems pretty underwhelming, but I'm still being a nerd and trying to preserve my oxygen until something gets spotted/shoots at me.

Pretty sure that sub's radar gets cut in half when they submerge and radar is still being used to track surface ships. Had times when I submerged and went blind on BBs while solo hunting without spotters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
So they're bad at everything, but they get a "press cheeks to glass" button that lets them not take damage, then?

I mean, being submerged is still pretty good, but they seem utterly useless at remaining undetected. It feels like you have to either kill or avoid all the DDs, Cruisers and other subs so you can hang out underneath the ships that can't fight back, but avoiding them seems pretty hopeless.

And yet pubbies still want to play them in overwhelming numbers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Meat_Grinder posted:

Pretty sure that sub's radar gets cut in half when they submerge and radar is still being used to track surface ships. Had times when I submerged and went blind on BBs while solo hunting without spotters.

no

Griz
May 21, 2001

ZombieApostate posted:

I mean, being submerged is still pretty good, but they seem utterly useless at remaining undetected. It feels like you have to either kill or avoid all the DDs, Cruisers and other subs so you can hang out underneath the ships that can't fight back, but avoiding them seems pretty hopeless.

everything (including battleships) has sonar and will detect you. I won a match yesterday in a 1v1 battleship vs sub by sitting on top of him so he couldn't torp and then ramming him when he ran out of air.

anyone who's paying attention to the minimap can easily avoid or kill subs. most of the time they don't do poo poo unless they can dodge everything long enough to reach the pile of retards in battleships who just sit in spawn the whole round without moving or looking at the map.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Hunting fat Japanese subs in my U-Boat is fun, but it's still really easy for destroyers to beat me up and take my lunch money if there aren't any friendly surface ships around to drive them away.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

this game is cool, I am applying as Tsurupettan.

what are some good boats or lines to go down? are there any major pitfalls/traps? i am reminded of WoT which had a lot of real loving poo poo tanks.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Tsurupettan posted:

what are some good boats or lines to go down? are there any major pitfalls/traps? i am reminded of WoT which had a lot of real loving poo poo tanks.

The Omaha in this game sucks but the Atlanta is a few tiers below where it should be and nothing else can really compare. Great for Seal Clubbing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Destroyers are always pretty fun.

Cruisers are bad until tier 5, the Americans get a good tier 4 cruiser.

Battleships require good aim and leading. A bit of planning too.

Carriers are hard. Subs are a wild card but they're generally slow.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Battleships (and somewhat carriers too) are amazingly powerful if they have good spotters and know how to aim (it isn't really hard). If they're blind and relying on their own spotting ability, they're pathetic.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Griz posted:

everything (including battleships) has sonar and will detect you. I won a match yesterday in a 1v1 battleship vs sub by sitting on top of him so he couldn't torp and then ramming him when he ran out of air.

anyone who's paying attention to the minimap can easily avoid or kill subs. most of the time they don't do poo poo unless they can dodge everything long enough to reach the pile of retards in battleships who just sit in spawn the whole round without moving or looking at the map.

The plan:
  • Follow the majority of the friendly DDs/CLs until they get bogged down with the enemy's DDs/CLs.
  • Dive.
  • Ignore the small fry.
  • Follow the large shell volleys/planes back to their source.
  • Bob up and down like a desperate hooker on the edge of suffocating in the middle of 4 BBs.

Result:

Better than expected. I don't know what that Hatsuharu was doing, but I didn't get to spot any of his damage :saddowns:. I still had 5048 assist damage.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ZombieApostate posted:

Better than expected. I don't know what that Hatsuharu was doing, but I didn't get to spot any of his damage :saddowns:. I still had 5048 assist damage.

The Hatsuharu is a gorgeous death machine. With yesterdays long squad session, I got mine all upgraded and equipped. It's hard to spot, it has a great scouting range, the guns will easily trash surfaced submarines and destroyers, the torps are just deadly (but don't spam too much or you'll run out) and it's so agile that running down submarines with depth charges is simple. Just in our session yesterday I had 2 3 kill streaks so that guy getting 5 doesn't seem too far fetched (my best is 4 so far).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hey someone go donate like I dunno 20,000 and we can level up again.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

Hey someone go donate like I dunno 20,000 and we can level up again.

Looks like someone beat me to it, we're level 7 now, and have 23 open spots.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 6, 2015

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sooooo it looks like gold is rewarded as double. Seems like if you're going to throw some money down for the Growth Incentive now would be a good time. Also it looks like all in game gold packages are the same reward rate 1000 gold per $1.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, so, you get doubled gold? Can someone explain how gold buying works? I'm thinking I might throw in a couple bucks for ship slots and stuff since this has been a lot more fun than WoWS.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Night10194 posted:

Wait, so, you get doubled gold? Can someone explain how gold buying works? I'm thinking I might throw in a couple bucks for ship slots and stuff since this has been a lot more fun than WoWS.

Yes. It goes through the steam wallet which is safe enough for me. When you complete the transaction it credits you the original amount you purchased and then there's a CLAIM button where the original purchase button was. Agreed this way better the WoWS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do the Growth Plans work? You kick in your stockpiled gold and it appreciates as you level up?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Night10194 posted:

How do the Growth Plans work? You kick in your stockpiled gold and it appreciates as you level up?

You buy it with gold once (for 10.8k?), then as you research your first ship of tiers 4 to 8 you click on the claim button next to that line.

Basically it's a good deal if you plan on playing past tier 6.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

You invest money and get about double the amount + shitloads of global XP as you go up the tiers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

However, its gonna take a while to be able to get the Tier 7 and Tier 8 payouts, given no one really plays above tier 5 yet.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

However, its gonna take a while to be able to get the Tier 7 and Tier 8 payouts, given no one really plays above tier 5 yet.

Someone was in queue with a tier IX that they leveled up to. I have no idea how they accomplished that.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pacra posted:

Someone was in queue with a tier IX that they leveled up to. I have no idea how they accomplished that.

Free XP probably.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing like cruising parallel to the enemies, thinking of all that glorious spotting XP when suddenly "Look out! Torpedo! BOOM". I swear, friendly ships (usually submarines) spamming torpedoes at out of range enemies are responsible for more of my deaths while in a Destroyer than enemies. :sigh:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nothing like cruising parallel to the enemies, thinking of all that glorious spotting XP when suddenly "Look out! Torpedo! BOOM". I swear, friendly ships (usually submarines) spamming torpedoes at out of range enemies are responsible for more of my deaths while in a Destroyer than enemies. :sigh:

Either go somewhere alone or wave them through and stay behind them. You can still spot further than them and it's less dangerous. I say less because as soon as red apears, every torp launcher inside 4km starts going pffeeew, pffeew...

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I just want to win a game :negative:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm saving up XP now on the Furutaka and wondering which one to go with. I'm tending toward the Agano because it's smaller, faster and has depth charges. Has anyone tried both the Aoba and the Agano?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
someone reaccept me into the fleet tia

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So who gets the best subs?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ratzap posted:

I'm saving up XP now on the Furutaka and wondering which one to go with. I'm tending toward the Agano because it's smaller, faster and has depth charges. Has anyone tried both the Aoba and the Agano?

The agano lacks sniper mode and has a shorter range on its main guns. The Aoba can snipe but lacks depth charges.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Night10194 posted:

So who gets the best subs?

There are no good subs, just least terrible ones. :colbert:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

:shepface: I've never literally killed the entire enemy team before. :shepface:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
See, subs are cool and good....

...up until Tier IV or so when players learn how to deal with them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thjis is a lie, players never learn how to deal with subs. going slower would probably help make people forget you're there till you spot their flagship. though 3 minutes of air is so short! At 10 kt at least.

Ramming DDs in a battleship never gets old. Also effective in light cruisers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

After the Kawachi I tried other nations T2 BB. They are all trash garbage compared to it.

Also, applied to Goonsfleet as Day10194. For whatever reason, it wouldn't take Night10194 for a screen name, so I had to change it up.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Night10194 posted:

After the Kawachi I tried other nations T2 BB. They are all trash garbage compared to it.

Also, applied to Goonsfleet as Day10194. For whatever reason, it wouldn't take Night10194 for a screen name, so I had to change it up.

Nice try sneaking in 'nig' you racist. :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Being able to manually control your secondaries and being able to act as actual artillery but also brawl with, again, the secondaries makes being a BB in this game approximately 4 times as fun as being one in WoWS.

Etnies
Dec 23, 2005

pizzle gizzle shizzle
In-game name is Elephunk

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
KeepaTierIIIshiparound.jpg

Oh wait, there's a second page of awards!

P-P-P-P-P-Pentakill :smugdog:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
e: Database fuckery. Anyway, you should totally try driving a Mahan into the back ranks of a Tier III match sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Or a Fubuki. I use a Fub and Hatsuharu for my two elite wins every day.

I Greyhound posted:

KeepaTierIIIshiparound.jpg

Oh wait, there's a second page of awards!

P-P-P-P-P-Pentakill :smugdog:
What's the trident through the flag one? Haven't seen it before.

Today I got to teach a tier 5 sub not to let other subs drive above you. I dove deep as he was surfacing, we locked together. He pushed me back up to periscope, but no higher so he was stuck with deep air consumption while I wasn't. A friendly sub watched and laughed as he drowned.

• Locked thread