Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fat_Cow posted:

I need a new VTM:B avatar for the occasion, suggestions?

Chunk at his desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

The Stop Sign. "No YOU stop!"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Fat_Cow posted:

Heather. :angel:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Looking over the responses to that tweet suggests that Mitsoda is down for a new Vampire game, though I'm basing this off a tweet lumping him with someone else, who responds for him. So it could just be a string of people talking out their rear end.

Not related to the news but I haven't seen anyone mention news regarding the next CQM update. A couple months back the creator announced that 4.0 would include a new Sabbat storyline, as well as a new hub area.

Mitsoda left inXile to move and start his own studio but I don't think he's actually doin much. I assume all the guys between Obsidian, inXile, and him are still amicable though.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I've never thrown money at a kickstarter before and always thought of them as terrible gambles but goddamn I would throw obscene amounts of cash at whatever paradox comes up with no questions asked

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Mitsoda left inXile to move

Pedantic goony correction: he's never been at inXile, but I think he's doing contract work on Torment for them right now.

Also, uh, Paradox's CEO retweeted Obsidian's tweet, so I'm starting to think that they might actually be discussing something, at the very least.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mitsoda joined Obsidian after Troika went bankrupt. IIRC, he worked on NWN2, an early version of Alpha Protocol, and the cancelled Alien RPG. Afterwards, he founded his own indie studio, DoubleBear Productions, and released the zombie/survival RPG Dead State.

Not sure what he's doing nowadays, aside from writing parts of Planescape: Torment 2.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Kegslayer posted:

I just want Alpha Protocol 2: The vampiring

My personal dream game would be VTM:B meets the witcher 3 + a pinch of gta V.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pigbottom posted:

My personal dream game would be VTM:B meets the witcher 3 + a pinch of gta V.

Vamp-iraaam, vamp vamp-iraaaam...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

homeless dude hanging out by a barrel fire

or

massage worker hanging out in disgusting rear end room

or

wereSHARK

(wereSHARK is the right answer)

Yeah this is p cool news, I have high hopes at one day being able to kill a few hours watching someone LP this game. The new game. I played the old game too many times to suffer through someone else's play through.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

either one of the two best characters in the game. fat larry or betrum tung (NASTY DUDE!!!!)

Gary is also a best.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What works best with celerity: guns, melee or brawl?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Depends on your bloodline and supporting stats. Toreador are good with guns, brawling for Brujah as I recall. Celerity is so powerful you can do what you like though. I murdered everything as a melee Toreador using celerity in one of my first playthroughs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Depends on your bloodline and supporting stats. Toreador are good with guns, brawling for Brujah as I recall. Celerity is so powerful you can do what you like though. I murdered everything as a melee Toreador using celerity in one of my first playthroughs.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter. Auspex and Potence both boost guns or melee, respectively, but you don't need either to do well, and honestly both of those disciplines are sort of underwhelming once you get to high level. They're better in the early game when your weapon skills suck rear end, but become less and less necessary as you progress.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Haven't played this game in years, recently picked it back up in the Steam Sale. Trying to get the thing to run.

Let's start with system specs and then we'll work up to what's been installed and what I've done up to this point, along with what is currently working:

Win 7 64-bit
Intel i3, 3.3 GHz, 4 cores
6144 Megs Ram
9173 Mb Page File
Nvidia GeForce GT 520

I've got the base game from Steam (so the 1.2 Patch has already been installed).
I have the Clan Quest Mod, which includes Wesp's unofficial patch + arsenal. Also used the respatcher to set to 1280x720 for my monitor.
Steam is set to run as admin, Vampire.exe is running in compatability mode for XP-Service Pack 3, visual themes and desktop composition are disabled, running as administrator.
Steam is set to run the -game CQM command, so that the Clan Quest Mod will actually work and I don't have to use the shortcut the CQM installer threw on my desktop (because I couldn't get it to "find" Steam).

The game starts. It plays the opening videos, no black screen with sound. Main menu loads, I can use the options to make changes. Pressing New Game will attempt to load the character creation screen, at which point the game crashes. Here is the important bit of the crash log:

Crash Log posted:

* * * Vampire Crash Data Log, Generated From Exe Built On: Oct 6 2004 * * *

vampire caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module engine.dll at 0023:200f5a77.

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Engine.dll seems to be the culprit, trying to load a location that does not exist, but I am no programmer. The stickied steam thread was no help, most people were stuck before they could reach the part I'm stuck on.

Help me Vampire thread. You're my only hope.

*UPDATE*

Deleted everything, redownloaded. I hadn't tried running the base game prior to installing the CQM, and lo and behold I'm still getting the same loving error, so at least we know it's a problem with the game in general.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 1, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
This used to have problem with Steam's autoupdates. Tried disabling that first in case of conflicts?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

This used to have problem with Steam's autoupdates. Tried disabling that first in case of conflicts?

Nope, figured it out, and boy is it loving stupid.

The dll's steam gives you? Garbage. Complete loving garbage. You gotta replace those dll's with the ones from the unofficial patch.

Which brings me to issue two, which is where I hosed up. Yep, it was my fault. The instructions for where to dump the files from the CQM state to put it in the Vampire sub-directory. The main folder for the game is Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines and within that folder is, you may have guessed it, a folder named vampire. Installing to that folder results in not-very-much-at-all as none of the files are in the right place, and if you didn't actually pay any attention to the file structure beforehand, you won't even realize you hosed up.

Considering that I found a number of posts online where people had the same issue (which "magically" fixed itself on a reinstall, go figure), I don't feel so bad about my cock-up.

The game runs, it's in widescreen, CQM is working properly, and Jack is just as great a character as I remember. :allears:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What works best with celerity: guns, melee or brawl?

You'll want melee up first so that you don't have problems feeding mid-battle. After that you can choose either but I usually get melee and then later on guns too (best gun is magnum imo). If I was going to pick one it would be melee. I use the fireaxe until I get the brush hook. In the days when I cared I used to scum up a torch early on by provoking hunters by breaking the masquerade but it's hard to get the torch ones to show up so now I just bumble along until I get a fire axe. The sword swings faster but its attack pattern isn't as good.

I don't usually dink around with raising anything combat related until celerity is at 4 or so if I start with it because celerity is so much stronger than anything else. Sometimes I'll put some brawl in for battle feeding earlier.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 1, 2015

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, where did that rear end in a top hat Wesp move the nameplate to? It's supposed to be in Kamikaze Zen someplace. I'm guessing he's moved it to a different spot with each of the 97 versions of his patch, and rotated it counterclockwise several times as well. I don't use his plus patch, but I know that little bastard still sneaks in changes anyway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Ok, where did that rear end in a top hat Wesp move the nameplate to? It's supposed to be in Kamikaze Zen someplace. I'm guessing he's moved it to a different spot with each of the 97 versions of his patch, and rotated it counterclockwise several times as well. I don't use his plus patch, but I know that little bastard still sneaks in changes anyway.

I believe it's on the floor in the vault - at least that's where it was when I was playing the last time.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheMcD posted:

I believe it's on the floor in the vault - at least that's where it was when I was playing the last time.

No, that's been replaced by a money clip. He moved it somewhere else.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Orange Sunshine posted:

No, that's been replaced by a money clip. He moved it somewhere else.

Oh, so it's been replaced by a money clip - read: the money clip that I'm pretty sure was there originally. Good god, Wesp. I read something about being able to pick up some of the nameplates (which I guess are on the desks?), so maybe that's it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is just setting me up to be really disappointed when it turns out to be some mobile match three game right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Orange Sunshine posted:

How much of this about Wesp is goon hyperbole?

e: Oh, none at all. Christ, modders are nuts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, what nameplate? Money clip? What? I've not known about these things in my X playthroughs, what is it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, what nameplate? Money clip? What? I've not known about these things in my X playthroughs, what is it?

Mitnick's Schrecknet jobs, in this case the Chinatown one at Kamikaze Zen. You're supposed to make it look like a robbery, which involves breaking into the vault. Depending on what kind of version of the unofficial patch you have, it's either a nameplate that's supposed to have some important tech in it, or just a money clip. I believe it's money in the vanilla game as well.

EDIT: This thing.

quote:

Use either computer to run the 'net security' application (password: nirvana) and enable the last Schrecknet hub for two points of Experience. Log into the 'vault' application as well (Larry's last name spelled backwards, password: nippelhcs) and open it up from here. The room across the hallway from this room is the vault you just opened, which contains a $500 money clip lying on the floor.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Ah, weird. What's the nameplate do for you? I haven't done that part of the quest in four or so runs because it never did much for me and that late in the game the reward couldn't do a whole lot for me. Or so I thought, that was based off vanilla and version 5 or so? Way early.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Ah, weird. What's the nameplate do for you? I haven't done that part of the quest in four or so runs because it never did much for me and that late in the game the reward couldn't do a whole lot for me. Or so I thought, that was based off vanilla and version 5 or so? Way early.

I believe it's incorporates into the extended Gary poster questline as an item you have to get him.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Ah. Even on my first vanilla run I never cared about the posters quest. That explains everything.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
If you are running CQM Gary's poster quest and the related items no longer exist. They were cannibalized to make room for new quests.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cephalectomy posted:

If you are running CQM Gary's poster quest and the related items no longer exist. They were cannibalized to make room for new quests.

Yeah, there's a limited item table. On the plus side you get the posters for free, and the quest areas are used for custom clan quests or new stuff, mostly

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I started CQM. Did they seriously give Jack a dialogue before he says anything, specifically to call the player out if they cheated stats? Or does the Camarilla mod do that? I really don't feel like using whichever mod got that insular.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Cheston posted:

I started CQM. Did they seriously give Jack a dialogue before he says anything, specifically to call the player out if they cheated stats? Or does the Camarilla mod do that? I don't really feel like using whichever mod got that insular.

This has been in since the beginning iirc. Also don't cheat. Also lmao that you are taking offense to being called on cheating.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pretty sure the maker of a mod wouldn't have gotten in touch with John DiMaggio and had him record a new line of dialogue specifically just to call you out for cheating. But yeah, that's been in the game since it was released.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Pretty sure the maker of a mod wouldn't have gotten in touch with John DiMaggio and had him record a new line of dialogue specifically just to call you out for playing. But yeah, that's been in the game since it was released.

It reuses the line Jack says when you try to punch him. That's specifically why I thought it was modded in.

Shaquin posted:

Also don't cheat.

Why?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just finish the conversation, then cheat. IIRC, the game doesn't allow you to continue if you cheat beforehand, or it resets your stats down to normal, so you might as well wait a few seconds.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Because unless you are just boosting something sensible for convenience like lockpicking it's lame to do in a game where the differentiation is entirely in the restrictions and benefits your characters clan have and that informing your entire gameplay experience

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Shaquin posted:

Because unless you are just boosting something sensible for convenience like lockpicking it's lame to do in a game where the differentiation is entirely in the restrictions and benefits your characters clan have and that informing your entire gameplay experience

I agree with this. I guess I'm just surprised that it came from the developers? It felt like enough of a lack of confidence that I assumed it had to come from the mod whose faction rebalances I was negating. (I undid the Malk penalty to Persuade.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Don't cheat until you know whether or not the game has decided to put fists in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…or until you get to the sewers.

• Locked thread