Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I love the Masshole in the Pilot at 4:23, just eases out, then across two lanes... Gotta love Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe he was stressing about DA PATS losing two in a row :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sharkytm posted:

I love the Masshole in the Pilot at 4:23, just eases out, then across two lanes... Gotta love Boston.

You can hear me backing off when he pulls out, planning to cruise through and run again, but then when he moves through that lane, I was like, gently caress this guy, and blow past him and the person behind me in my destination lane.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
We couldn't get good video, but here's what the car sounds like at that 3200rpm resonance. It wasn't so much the volume as the noise. With the stock exhaust the car doesn't have a harmonic like that at any RPM range. It is absolutely intoxicating. We were in 20-30mph traffic that kept us at that range and people were putting down their windows.

http://youtu.be/idjmFZai3oE#t=44s

I can't even describe how Ferrari knocked this car out of the park in terms of driving experience. The Z06 and the Viper really are my benchmark cars for handling and experience but they're really just ball crushingly savage cars. They do what you tell them and consume road at a frightening pace even at 5/10ths. The sheer volume and tenor the LS7 and the Vipers V10 at full throttle is all consuming. But the Ferrari is just driving nirvana. Your inputs are all mechanical and extremely rich and you feel at one with the car. Now it is just complete aural bliss at any RPM; the car picks up a wail once you get above 2000rpm that doesn't go away. There's a satisfying off throttle thrum, crackle from the exhaust when lifting, and bassy scream when downshifting. It's definitely a car that you think "this could be faster" but it's just such a good drive.

sharkytm posted:

Sadly, that's actually how you're supposed to merge there. That lane ends 200ft later with a giant curb that forces you to turn into a parking lot, so cars also pull into that lane to brake and slow down for the turn after where pilot enters. There was a big dig exhibit at the museum of science that had an interactive traffic flow exhibit that said how that is the absolute shittiest way to design a entrance/exit, yet that design still made it into the reworked roads.

Basically 99% of people driving like massholes is nurtured into us by road design.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 8, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

You can hear me backing off when he pulls out, planning to cruise through and run again, but then when he moves through that lane, I was like, gently caress this guy, and blow past him and the person behind me in my destination lane.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with that area... I towed a 26' boat all over Boston with an F350 Dualie. gently caress, all over New England. I drive a 2500HD White GMC now, and people still like to act like they can't see me. I can only imagine how nice it must be to have your presence announced with an Italian Howl.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I love going into the tunnels too and letting it rip too, it sounds so nice

Exhaust sounds amazing too, awesome choice

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speaking of choice, these are the other "popular" options for the 348:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6aiZWTw8CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCYG8i_O34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRj7p6I5xNM
You have that howl at :33.

They all sound good and similar, with the Fabspeed sounding the closest. From looking at the video and hearing my car in real life, I'd say there's certainly room for error for judging just by a recording.
And that said, I still made my choice on just videos -- like I had any other choice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

everdave posted:

I would be very interested to hear what this exhaust cost and then hear from ultimateforce on how much he could make this for

Crap, for a moment, when I saw the name on the business card, I thought it was from him. Nice exhaust all the same though. Can't wait to get home and listen to the vids (no sound at work.)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, the important part, the sound. This is keyed right to the flyby pulls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5gWbWs7VE&t=191s
Apologies for aggressive driving on the street, etc. The earlier half of the video is some interior tunnel blasting on the action cam (with the windows up :v: but the microphone already clipping badly) and a really tight parallel park.

:perfect: So much better than the stock, that is time and money well spent. But now I'm looking at headers and exhaust for the M cars because they're too civil.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: So much better than the stock, that is time and money well spent. But now I'm looking at headers and exhaust for the M cars because they're too civil.

Just pulling the primary cats in the M3 did quite a bit for the exhaust note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdnP-dPQ_k

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kimbo305 posted:

Overall, the car sounds like it should have all along -- rumbly and bassy on the low end, with fascinating harmonics in the middle, and the same scream at the top end. I kept wondering as I drove it, why would Ferrari bottle this up from the factory?

Probably legal reasons. Strangely, Ohio has the most restrictive exhaust volume statutes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Just pulling the primary cats in the M3 did quite a bit for the exhaust note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdnP-dPQ_k

That's a V8 though so you have that going for you. The E28 has a brand new OEM exhaust so it would be easy to drop it and toss something a bit more open in there. E30...that engine just doesn't sound that great unless it's at full wail honestly even with a full race exhaust.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, the important part, the sound. This is keyed right to the flyby pulls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5gWbWs7VE&t=191s
Apologies for aggressive driving on the street, etc. The earlier half of the video is some interior tunnel blasting on the action cam (with the windows up :v: but the microphone already clipping badly) and a really tight parallel park.

After the flybys, we drove around some more with the windows down, and oh man, it went from great to amazing. The howl the motor has at 3k and 6k is otherworldly.
This changes the whole driving experience, because you become obsessed with trying to keep the car just at 3k. Driving the car with the windows up is now completely pointless.

Overall, the car sounds like it should have all along -- rumbly and bassy on the low end, with fascinating harmonics in the middle, and the same scream at the top end. I kept wondering as I drove it, why would Ferrari bottle this up from the factory?

I'm just going to say that your car sounds like an orgasm feels. I loving love your ride and love your thread. Thank you for sharing this utterly sexy piece of design with us all.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Siochain posted:

I'm just going to say that your car sounds like an orgasm feels. I loving love your ride and love your thread. Thank you for sharing this utterly sexy piece of design with us all.

Ditto. The exhaust sounds awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I remembered this as I was filing the shop work record -- they were able to diagnose the non-functional oil temp gauge to the sensor at the bottom of the oil reservoir. So wiring is good, gauge is good, but sender is not giving a signal. The replacement is supposed to be "not that expensive," but I'll find out what that means in the spring when I get fluids changed and an alignment. Access to the sensor is easy when the reservoir is drained.

Oh also, who thinks Muffinpox looks like Doug Demuro?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Listening to Vangelis made me think about this car again, and holy gently caress dude that exhaust is awesome. Cocaine white, awesome sounds, I love it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I remembered this as I was filing the shop work record -- they were able to diagnose the non-functional oil temp gauge to the sensor at the bottom of the oil reservoir. So wiring is good, gauge is good, but sender is not giving a signal. The replacement is supposed to be "not that expensive," but I'll find out what that means in the spring when I get fluids changed and an alignment. Access to the sensor is easy when the reservoir is drained.

Oh also, who thinks Muffinpox looks like Doug Demuro?

Either that or he's a good writer on SA moonlighting under an alter ego as a bad writer everywhere else.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Despite my best efforts to avoid scuffing the leather seatback bolster entering and exiting, I'm still doing it. That Corolla parked next to me means I can't even open my door to the first detente without touching their door. They parked pretty close to me and don't seem to have moved since they showed up.

Wondering if this thing that Edmunds says they're getting for the Viper would help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxPFXyfz3A&t=14s
For now, I lift myself up on the door sill, put my left foot out, plant, then step out and back with my right foot, putting my right hand on the seat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"If you are suffering from back pain, knee pain or Italian sportscars, you need the car cane". The one thing I don't like about it is the steel peg levering against the paintwork under the latch. That's going to leave a mark sooner or later. As for scuffing the seat, perhaps a Swissvax (or similar) treatment will freshen them up and reduce the friction? Also consider driving only in reduced friction merino wool suits.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

This changes the whole driving experience, because you become obsessed with trying to keep the car just at 3k. Driving the car with the windows up is now completely pointless.

First off, your car sounds absolutely beautiful and nice choice on the exhaust. Secondly, this so much. After I swapped my 911's headers and put on a high flow muffler I can't not drive it like an absolute turd. Stuck in traffic? An excuse to run to redline in 1st over and over. Making a left through a big intersection? Slide it out, bounce off the limiter in 2nd.

I'm sorry everyone, I just can't help it. Only Kimbo understands.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn, that would've been useful a few years back when I was recovering from surgery. But I'm with Ola, I don't see how that won't leave a mark on the B-pillar instead. Even if you wrap the peg in something soft, if it's not perfectly clean it's at least going to scratch. Maybe if you trimmed it so it didn't reach past the actual latch hook?

Dave Inc. posted:

First off, your car sounds absolutely beautiful and nice choice on the exhaust. Secondly, this so much. After I swapped my 911's headers and put on a high flow muffler I can't not drive it like an absolute turd. Stuck in traffic? An excuse to run to redline in 1st over and over. Making a left through a big intersection? Slide it out, bounce off the limiter in 2nd.

I'm sorry everyone, I just can't help it. Only Kimbo understands.

I may or may not drive the LS1 around in L1 half the time just to rev it up, let off the gas, and hear it pop all over the place on decel.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Despite my best efforts to avoid scuffing the leather seatback bolster entering and exiting, I'm still doing it. That Corolla parked next to me means I can't even open my door to the first detente without touching their door. They parked pretty close to me and don't seem to have moved since they showed up.

To reduce wear on the seat bolsters I slide the seat all the way back then lift myself up and out. Might not work if you're taller but works great if you're short.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamn, that would've been useful a few years back when I was recovering from surgery. But I'm with Ola, I don't see how that won't leave a mark on the B-pillar instead. Even if you wrap the peg in something soft, if it's not perfectly clean it's at least going to scratch. Maybe if you trimmed it so it didn't reach past the actual latch hook?

I was thinking to wrap the tip in electrical tape, but I think you're right -- it'd be too thin. There'd have to be a really thick rubber shim for it not to press through and mark.
It's not a problem when I can swing the door all the way open, but in the parking space, it's hard to creep into the seat. I don't like holding onto the wheel and putting that much force on the steering lock.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some heatshrink or bicycle innertube on it might do the business.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Also, while I already look super clumsy unfolding out of the car, I'm not sure I want to take it to the next level with a senior citizen aid.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What would Enzo Ferrari say if he had seen you using that thing?

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even in their own infomercial showed a piece of tape on the sill at around 1:00, so they clearly know it's an issue.

It looks like whether or not it will mar up the door sill is dependant on how thick the pedestal and big the loop of the striker are.

edit: also, how is the discussion in this thread focused on car canes, of all things, and not driving! :italianvroom:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Had dinner with my best friend, his gif, and his sister. My friend knows that I'm into cars and have had a revolving door of ownership, including the bought-back Viper. He asked what my ride was now.

After sheepishly saying it was a Ferrari 348, his sister went "ooohhh," the classic impressed sound that I was hoping to avoid.
When I explained it was from 1991 and showed them a few pics of it, she said, "oh, it's all boxy." And later, that all she knew was that "Ferraris cost way more than Maseratis and nothing compares to them."

None of them recognized it as a Ferrari, though they all agreed it was some kind of older sports or luxury car.
If I just made up a fake Italian brand and showed non-car people the same pictures, it would probably work.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Finally got to listen to the exhaust videos and that sounds amazing. Yea Id drive like a dick to hear that too, so worth it. I do it with my C10 but its not as exciting because I have to stay within the capabilities of the suspension and brakes and neither are good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Infinotize posted:

What would Enzo Ferrari say if he had seen you using that thing?

Looks like Enzo saw this coming and prevented this possibility:

Been driving it around today. Still sounds amazing.

e: saw in the reflection of some car that one of the two yellow running lights in the left fog light assembly was out. Will have to look at how to replace that bulb.

Also, the car didn't start on the first try after being parked for just 10min. It happened for two tries when it was parked 30min at Home Depot before we took those pulls in front of the onramp, but I was hoping it was a fluke. 348s are known to have some trouble with hot starts, but these are the only two times I've experienced it, even with shorter parked times.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 14, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Vapor lock? That engine bay must get pretty toasty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

Vapor lock? That engine bay must get pretty toasty.

I wouldn't think it's from heat. The fan kicks in at 195F, according to the gauge anyways, and the cool weather has kept it healthily under 195 when driving around.

One more size comparo pic:

This was a really tony mall, so at least the parking spaces were huge.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I wouldn't think it's from heat. The fan kicks in at 195F, according to the gauge anyways, and the cool weather has kept it healthily under 195 when driving around.
You can still get bad fuel evaporation, even if the engine is holding temperature. My Landie gets it in stop-start traffic in the middle of summer, and it's never even close to overheating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That BaT 1990 348 sold for 42k: http://bringatrailer.com/2015/12/15/bat-auction-success-story-missed-nsx-becomes-first-ferrari/
Put ~10k into the engine out service, and you're looking at a very good condition 348. All the controls work; sticky parts have been fixed, and it has 15k miles.
He could flip it easily for 10k profit in a year, assuming prices go up from 355s going into the stratosphere.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nice car, Kimbo. I remember back when I was in middle school my friend's rear end in a top hat father had a 348, a white-on-white convertible (were they Spiders or Spyders back then?) He claimed it was the only one in the US with that color combo. I never saw him drive it, he was more concerned with snorting lines and banging whores in his Lincoln limousine. Hope you enjoy your ride.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

That BaT 1990 348 sold for 42k: http://bringatrailer.com/2015/12/15/bat-auction-success-story-missed-nsx-becomes-first-ferrari/
Put ~10k into the engine out service, and you're looking at a very good condition 348. All the controls work; sticky parts have been fixed, and it has 15k miles.
He could flip it easily for 10k profit in a year, assuming prices go up from 355s going into the stratosphere.

There's a 22k mile twin to that car on copart in oregon with a clean title. Worth watching to see how much the questionable nature of an auction subtracts.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/40160085?searchId=1441640879

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

There's a 22k mile twin to that car on copart in oregon with a clean title. Worth watching to see how much the questionable nature of an auction subtracts.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/40160085?searchId=1441640879

That's very close to me and a couple other goons on here. I wonder what the mechanical issue is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Would it have changed hands enough by the time it got to the auction house that the person there'd drive and run the car in 1st gear even if it was causing engine/drivetrain damage?

Just got back from a weekend in LA. Did a lot of tourist sight-seeing. Rental car company didn't come through on the 328, and the C300 felt pretty underwhelming, so I didn't take it out to the driving roads out west.

Saw 2 red Californias and 1 black 599, all around Rodeo Dr. I really thought I'd see way way more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Drove it around today after determining that the rain had dried up enough to not splash on the strakes and make it a nightmare to clean up.
Despite temps around 60, I noticed that the car takes a long time for everything to warm up. The transmission isn't really fully loose until 30min into the drive. Only then is the car truly fun to drive.
I got the hang of cruising everywhere at 3k with the windows down, soaking in that roar. At one point, I was down by the Charles River, and I swear I could hear the exhaust echoing back over the river.

2 kids really liked the car; one said "nice Ferrari!" which was unexpected. Another guy in a Kia Spectra gave me a thumbs up at a light. I would have given him a nice pull away from the light, but cars were too slow ahead of me.

Looks like replacing bulbs in the front parking lights will be pretty easy:

e: I saw a sign for Alpha Collision Center somewhere on my drive. Can't find the sign on Google Maps, but it featured a 308 getting into a 90deg crash with a Dino convertible. Weirdly, that seems to be working on me, in that I might look these guys up should I need body work.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and updates so thanks. Some questions:

Have you thought how long you intend to keep the car? Surely you must have ADD like the rest of us. I'd like to think I'll have my current car forever because I'm happy with it right then but even I know that's a lie.
Do you feel like this car has sold you on the brand? Has the ownership experience made you feel like you're a Ferrari guy now, meaning future cars will be other Ferraris? Is the community the kind that you would want to subjugate to in the future? I only ask because for me after getting my old M3 and getting into the local BMW community I am pretty sold on the brand. Other cars sound fun, but I don't see myself venturing out though.

• Locked thread