Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You won't be the one to see them, everyone else will.

Just knowing it exists would bother me. Like animal cruelty or that piece of cake I left in the fridge for my boyfriend that he keeps saying he's going to eat but is going to go stale before he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Just knowing it exists would bother me. Like animal cruelty or that piece of cake I left in the fridge for my boyfriend that he keeps saying he's going to eat but is going to go stale before he does

This holiday season, please think before buying a cake. Consider adopting a cake from the local cake shelter, but only if you know you're going to take care of that cake.

Remember, cakes aren't just for christmas.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I always thought releasing the new WvW maps with HoT was information overload.

Not even including that it was Halloween event launch too.

Had they released the borderland maps maybe 2 months later, the reception would have been very different at the start (for a while at least...).

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Dorkopotamis posted:

Today I reached Sapphire in the new PvP divisions system with close to an 80% win rate. In those games I've had some observations about the most effective ways to climb the ladder in this current meta and I thought I'd write them down here.

First, the the classes with that see the most success are bunkers. If you are queuing by yourself, you'll want to be able to hold a point against at least two people, by yourself. Tempests and Chronomancers are the most effective bunkers right now. Scrappers have incredible sustain, but are more susceptible to being whittled down.

Why are bunkers good? They take from enemy players the hidden resource that will win or lose you every match: time. If a tempest shows up on your point, most players/specs will be unable to kill it. The majority of players will try to, but they are denying their presence elsewhere on the map. If a second player shows up to take on the tempest (called giving a "plus one"), for as long as that fight goes on, every other match-up that occurs in your game swings statistically to the tempest's team's favor. Depending on the two who show up to challenge the tempest, they're going to take (possibly) minutes, or be unable to take down that bunker and even if they do, the tempest has accomplished its goal. So even if the tempest did not own the point it was contesting, it will still have scored its team points, coming from elsewhere on the map.

What is the best way to kill a tempest? Heavy chill pressure or moa morph will ruin a tempest's day. Chronomancers need to be stunned and bursted. Heavy use of unblockable skills will also kill a chronomancer.

You will often be paired up with duo queues, so why not bring a friend? Then YOU'RE the duo queue and you should trust yourself (and a friend) more than any random pubbies. Bringing along ANOTHER bunker will win you even more games. Do you dare bring a THIRD bunker? Why not. BUT, do not bring a fourth bunker, as you will be much more likely to be paired up against full teams, which will make you more likely to lose your game, due to teams being better at coordinating CC.

With good rotations and point pressure, you don't have to win team fights, you need only win through attrition and stalling out points.

If you insist on bringing DPS with you, go for revenants and scrappers. Both have awesome team fight synergies and incredible passive survivability. Both are also great at stalling out point captures. Which, need I re-iterate: is the single most important tactic within conquest. Almost as important is my last piece of advice: If you are a goon and you want to PvP with other goons who are good at PvPing then you need to join Eurozone Danse Party, the premiere listing for goon pvping. Send Germany a letter for a guild invite and start teaming up with goons to climb your way up this horrible and toxic meta!!!!! YOU WILL BE KING OF poo poo, PERCHED ATOP A THRONE OF WHO CARES!

Quoting this post because the advice is fantastic. Played a few games as a bunker Mesmer and am having great results so far.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
My tempest just gets interrupted out of his overloads, i guess i should take stability on overload instead of regen/vigor on auras?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

malhavok posted:

My tempest just gets interrupted out of his overloads, i guess i should take stability on overload instead of regen/vigor on auras?

No

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Johnny made us a statue tonight and now the guild entryway is GREENER THAN EVER :patriot:

PLANTS FOR THE PLANT GOD(dess)

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Here's some more general advice on succeeding within conquest:

Watch the mini map and keep track of how many enemy players you see, In doing so: you know what points are undefended and what points need to be reinforced.

The only time you should be fighting outnumbered is if you can:
1. Preserve a friendly point from capture.
2. Are a bunker and can stall stall out a neutral point.
3. Are a bunker and can occupy at least two people for a prolonged amount of time, anywhere.

Fighting outnumbered in any other situation, unless you are extremely confident you will gain a favorable match-up at some point, is nearly always a bad idea.

Are you in a team-fight that seems to be going nowhere? Is it over a contested point? Are you not intentionally stalling a point, or multiple players? Count the players you see and make an educated guess about what point might be empty, decap the point and if need be return to the team fight. Attempt to always attack where the enemy is weak and fight where you are strong. Alert your team about what you're doing, so they can re-position if need be.

Are you a bunker standing on a friendly team point that the enemy seems to be ignoring? Stand between that point and another, to bait enemy players into contesting your point. Chasing people around in that zone will waste enemy players' time. If you do this: make sure you can get back to that point in time to have it not be de-capped.

Skills that allow you to be in two places at once are invaluable. Portal, for example, allows you to both defend a point and participate in team fights. That's one step beneath having an extra team mate.

Before a game starts, you should tell your team what you intend to do. Teams the communicate well before a match always seem to perform better than teams that don't.

EDIT: Also, this is so obvious I didn't include it: call targets at the beginning of fights, but switch as new threats arise. I've seen teams tunnel vision a DH, completely unaware that a power necro has just shifted into lich form.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 8, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk I hear you did this

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
I'm 2 pips out from sapphire with most of my games as condi necro. While its been an enjoyable masochistic solo adventure I'd like to roll and learn a bunker chrono though because they seem to be most impactful in soloq matches, along with revs and tempests from what I've experienced so far.

I just copy builds off of meta battle, are they actually any good? Probably gonna try out the chronomancer alacrity bunker build off metabattle and try and learn that. Good god there's nothing more annoying in this game than fighting a good mesmer :negative:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Hurp Durp Master posted:

I'm 2 pips out from sapphire with most of my games as condi necro. While its been an enjoyable masochistic solo adventure I'd like to roll and learn a bunker chrono though because they seem to be most impactful in soloq matches, along with revs and tempests from what I've experienced so far.

I just copy builds off of meta battle, are they actually any good? Probably gonna try out the chronomancer alacrity bunker build off metabattle and try and learn that. Good god there's nothing more annoying in this game than fighting a good mesmer :negative:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Alacrity_Bunker this build is great. It requires some getting used to, measuring invuln time against alacrity. I main a mesmer and would be happy to play a few games with you. The same offer goes to any goons looking to get into PvP: just contact Germany in game.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 8, 2015

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
EDIT: Double Post

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any suggestions for dealing with Tempests as a Daredevil, other than rolling over and dying? The number of boons and conditions they vomit everywhere, combined with how much goddamned damage they do (in part because it's no problem to hit 15+ might stacks on a tempest) is nuts. I'm running staff shortbow, daredevil heal, standard utils (shadow refuge, signet of agility, shadowstep), and Impact Strike for my elite. One of the problems I'm having is that it seems like the moment I hit a Tempest, I'm covered in at least 3 conditions that they just exude without even pressing buttons and I have no idea how to deal with it, but I want to get better at pvp because this is astonishingly fun, other than when I'm fighting Tempests and feeling like there's no way to win other than playing 3v1.

Should I be trying to kite them? Stability doesn't protect from cripple, right? So in theory I could Shortbow 5 away, turn around, pop 3, and run and gun while they burn out attunements? Only thing I can think of, other than that they just vomit too many boons and conditions and too much damage to fight head to head unless I can get a Steal -> Staff 1 for Knockdown, then pop my elite and just burst them down before their overloads can butcher me

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 8, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a cool trick on the Foe Fire map with the lord is if your enemy has their home (your far) and a bunkery dude is standing on it, run past him to the enemy base and start attacking their door. 90% of the time this will bait him into following you offpoint, then you call your buddy over to decap the point

its a very good way of not wasting time 1v1ing on a point you dont own

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I made a fun discovery, the dragonhunter trait Hunter's Determination that lays a trap upon stun, etc, well if you don't die those traps do not expire and will just sit around until triggered, and it will keep laying them after the internal cooldown! I had something like 9-10 traps out at one point and it ruled.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I made a fun discovery, the dragonhunter trait Hunter's Determination that lays a trap upon stun, etc, well if you don't die those traps do not expire and will just sit around until triggered, and it will keep laying them after the internal cooldown! I had something like 9-10 traps out at one point and it ruled.

thats pretty fuckin leet

i wonder if you could beat a raid with it

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo the pro games were complete rear end, watching gw2 pvp isn't exactly exciting in the first place but the current no skill bunker comp meta is unwatchable.

Spvp is total garbage right now.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Probably gonna try out the chronomancer alacrity bunker build off metabattle and try and learn that.

Go for it, everyone else is.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Magres posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with Tempests as a Daredevil

I don't know if there is any possible Daredevil build that can 1v1 an optimally played tempest in this current meta. Thieves are generally out of favor.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Okay so there's a bug when a guild hits 500 people, any pending invites get deleted. If you're one of those people just bump your thread on http://www.starfleetdental.com/GW2/Forums/

Sorry!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Magres posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with Tempests as a Daredevil

Try to find an empty point to decap.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I don't know if there is any possible Daredevil build that can 1v1 an optimally played tempest in this current meta. Thieves are generally out of favor.

All this is true unless you're Magic Toker.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Visidan posted:

Okay so there's a bug when a guild hits 500 people, any pending invites get deleted. If you're one of those people just bump your thread on http://www.starfleetdental.com/GW2/Forums/

Sorry!

It's been like that since day one :ssh: That's why GOON is always at 498 / 499.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

A long standing bug in Guild Wars 2? I find that hard to believe.

The sPVP season has me wanting to play more to get up to rank 20 and get my rank tag to annoy Arus but man I hate Skyhammer so much and it comes up all the time. People still don't understand what is going on and why they're taking 10k damage spikes when the opposing team is firing that cannon. It's an awful mechanic. I'd say I couldn't believe that it's on the map at all but :anet:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I've been playing ranked games non stop since the league started and haven't had to do a single skyhammer. I don't think even one person has voted for it when it did come up.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
State of sPvP: Go bunker, hybrid/cele or burst damage. While DPS can be used in solo queue it has limited success due to damage being mitigated easily.

malhavok posted:

I've been playing ranked games non stop since the league started and haven't had to do a single skyhammer. I don't think even one person has voted for it when it did come up.
No Skyhammer or Spirit Watch in Ranked. You only get Kyhlo, Temple, Foefire, Niflhel.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

State of sPvP: Go bunker, hybrid/cele or burst damage. While DPS can be used in solo queue it has limited success due to damage being mitigated easily.

I've actually done quite well with dragonhunter meditrapper in solo queue also, but that is probably the only exception to the rule.

quote:

No Skyhammer or Spirit Watch in Ranked. You only get Kyhlo, Tempest, Foefire, Niflhel.

That would explain it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's been like that since day one :ssh: That's why GOON is always at 498 / 499.

yeah i know, i keep forgetting so this is like the 5th time its happend in the last 3 weeks

tivac plz fix

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

malhavok posted:

I've actually done quite well with dragonhunter meditrapper in solo queue also, but that is probably the only exception to the rule.
Medi/Trap DH is more of burst damage tbh. While DPS builds like Shiro/Glint Herald and Berserker can work against squishy builds, both can be negated easily and Berserker has extremely low survival capability.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

yeah i know, i keep forgetting so this is like the 5th time its happend in the last 3 weeks

tivac plz fix

one time I forgot about this and cancelled like 20 invites sorry cletus and all new people I am The Worst :negative:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Wait, if the guild fills up what is wrong with all outstanding invites getting canceled?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

Wait, if the guild fills up what is wrong with all outstanding invites getting canceled?

Because that will often happen before you remember to clear out inactives, which is only an issue when a guild is at the cap and continually getting new members still, ie. our two guilds. When you might have 20+ new invites on the go it's really annoying having to redo them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because that will often happen before you remember to clear out inactives, which is only an issue when a guild is at the cap and continually getting new members still, ie. our two guilds. When you might have 20+ new invites on the go it's really annoying having to redo them.

Gotcha, that is annoying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Visidan posted:

Holy poo poo the pro games were complete rear end, watching gw2 pvp isn't exactly exciting in the first place but the current no skill bunker comp meta is unwatchable.

i am in total shock and awe that it turns out that trying to push mmo pvp as esports is a poor idea

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

esports is a poor idea

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Esports was better when it wasn't called Esports. GW1 PvP is proof of this.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
It's not even MMO pvp for the reasons you'd usually avoid that kind of thing (grinding out gear for a statistical advantage). People will watch lovely Minecraft videos, Slenderman game scarecam LPs, MOBA esports events, etc. because those games were already popular. GW2 was never really a meme (despite their best efforts, remember LOLCharr?) so the only people who give a poo poo are people playing the game.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I want to hit myself for even suggesting this but I feel like GW2 sPvP would be better if it was sorta MOBA-style (with allied & enemy NPCs, bases to destroy, etc) instead of point-capture. I'm not sure how point capture the way it is currently implemented can ever really have any meta other than bunker-builds or burst-damage builds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I want to hit myself for even suggesting this but I feel like GW2 sPvP would be better if it was sorta MOBA-style (with allied & enemy NPCs, bases to destroy, etc) instead of point-capture. I'm not sure how point capture the way it is currently implemented can ever really have any meta other than bunker-builds or burst-damage builds.

There was once a Halloween moba mode in a skeleton graveyard that was so much fun, did that even come back this year? I don't think I did any Halloween thing this year.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I only remember the Halloween moba mode being in the first Halloween. At least they brought back the cool CTF snowball fight during wintersday the last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Visidan posted:

Speaking of pro game compositions, this week's popular builds were bunker Chrono, Aura Tempest and Mallyx Herald. Then Scrapper. Did see one or two cele/crusader Druid, Medi/Trap DH, Power Herald, Reaper and Thief from entire game yesterday. All teams had 1 of Mallyx Herald, bunker Chrono and Aura Tempest, with extra Mallyx Herald, bunker Chrono or both. Scrapper would also be used most of the times as well.

And as for sPvP being total garbage now, it has been an ongoing problem (even before HoT or pre trait changes) in which teams would just bring sustain/bunker builds with maybe 1 burst damage dealer, but now that these builds have no problem with bunker/sustain and damage dealing they seemed to have dropped burst damage dealers in favour of extra sustain build.

e: To sum up, it's just a battle of attrition now. So basically you'll end up watching 15 minutes of both teams doing pretty much nothing aside from rotating, bunkering, decapping or team fighting to attrition.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread