Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
*twitch*

*twitch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
i used to use trackball mice all the time. i remember having to clean them with isopropyl alcohol because i would eat at my computer and my hands would get greasy sometimes. the actual ball itself would have issues interacting with the sensors if it got greasy

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

newmans_owned posted:

i used to use trackball mice all the time. i remember having to clean them with isopropyl alcohol because i would eat at my computer and my hands would get greasy sometimes. the actual ball itself would have issues interacting with the sensors if it got greasy
You've got to clean out the dead skin once in a while.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I had a friend who had a trackball for a while. I think the only other time I saw a trackball was at CompUSA, which, Jesus, I don't think I've seen a CompUSA since before I turned 10. God drat. Anyway, the point was supposed to be that I found trackball mice weird and never saw them.

Probably would have worked pretty well with Descent if you didn't have a joystick and didn't want to use M+K though.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
funnily enough, i also used to be absurdly good at a select few FPS games when i still used trackballs, oddly enough. i remember playing old goldsrc mods and tearing poo poo up because the trackball has the advantage of being stationary, so you can be precise or quick without moving your hand around

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I use a Logitech M570 wireless trackball because it's real comfortable and is convenient to use with my laptop on a lap desk. It's got an optical sensor just like trackballs have been suing for a while now.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Regular and inverted both feel equally natural to me. I don't know if it's related to being ambidextrous or it's just from years of playing 90s FPSs and never bothering to change the default controls at all in anything.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I used to run invert back in Quake II, then I stopped playing fps games for a bit and when I returned I decided not to bother with it. I know there used to be a guy who used a trackball to play games when I was in college, definitely seemed weird at the time but he probably had a decently solid model, the only one I own is an ancient Kensington orbit which still works, amazingly, though it crawls across modern resolution desktops..

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Guys I used to play JK2 with would totally wreck poo poo with the lightsaber using trackball mice. I always wanted to try, but never got around to it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Incidentally, if you end up with carpal tunnel issues or just plain your hand gets sore while using the mouse, they make "vertical" mice like these that are really comfortable and easily sub 50 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC

That one is like 15 bucks and I use it when I need a full on mouse for a thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mogomra posted:

Guys I used to play JK2 with would totally wreck poo poo with the lightsaber using trackball mice. I always wanted to try, but never got around to it.

It's either not that great (I'm playing Jedi Outcast, though), or I suck at it now.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
With all this trackball talk, I'm kinda sad that nobody ever brings up the thumbball setup where you move the ball with your thumb. I posted about this one in particular before way earlier this year, but this has been my mouse since probably the early-mid 2000s, and it's seen me through more than a few FPSes using inverted y-axis because that's how the cool dudes roll (although I admit to using non-inverted camera controls when using a gamepad for some odd reason that I can't even explain aside from that it feels more comfortable to me :confused: ).

It's still working to this day between many computers, Windows installs/upgrades, and I don't see it dying anytime soon (which I hope never happens since Microsoft appeared to stopped making these a while back and getting a replacement seems kinda expensive if the Amazon listings are any indication :ohdear: ).

Also, speaking of Jedi Knight, I'm playing through Jedi Knight 1: Mysteries of the Sith (the expansion that takes place a few years after JK) right now and sadly nearing the end with a couple levels left. But, I'm having more fun with this than I expected, especially since I'm finding my method of killing regular enemies by force pulling their weapons to disarm them, then cutting them up with my saber to be super satisfying. :twisted:

Reive
May 21, 2009

That's a really nice looking old mouse, do you know what model it is?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think that's the one my friend had, actually. In fact, in my mind trackball mice have the ball on the thumb, even though I know there's plenty that don't.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the Steam thread: Well now...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

It took me until Wolfenstein: The New Order to learn WASD instead of the arrow keys :negative:

Now learn vi keys so you can play roguelikes.

Also I'm amused that American McGee turned out to be a giant nerd baby. Guess I was right all along. (I still hope his sister is found safe, but the guy needs to shut the gently caress up.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Also I'm amused that American McGee turned out to be a giant nerd baby. Guess I was right all along. (I still hope his sister is found safe, but the guy needs to shut the gently caress up.)
"Pity this guy's sister likely suffered some horrible fate but at least it's some points on the board for my team! Go team! Sports!" is pretty repulsive and you should probably just throw your usual tantrum and flame out of this thread for another 3-6 months like you always do.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

"Pity this guy's sister likely suffered some horrible fate but at least it's some points on the board for my team! Go team! Sports!" is pretty repulsive and you should probably just throw your usual tantrum and flame out of this thread for another 3-6 months like you always do.

Comparing making a comment that someone using a dogwhistle term pretty much exclusively used by a group of people who've been spending their time harassing minorities out of gaming-related industries for the last year makes them a lovely person to supporting a sports team is pretty stupid. :rolleyes:

e; so is posting "guys, don't have an Internet slap fight but I think you're a revolting human being for pointing out a lovely person is lovely, hth."

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 8, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Now learn vi keys so you can play roguelikes.

Using this opportunity when McGee is in public memory to insult him then turn around and offer a limp-dicked "oh but I hope his sister is okay" is loving disgusting. Super Go gently caress Yourself 64.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Comparing someone using a dogwhistle term pretty much exclusively used by a group of people who've been spending their time harassing minorities out of gaming-related industries for the last year to a sports team is pretty stupid. :rolleyes:
What loving wording did Kins use that's "dogwhistle?" Arivia is known to pop her head into this thread whenever someone involved with early FPS gaming does a thing or has an opinion she doesn't like, announce her disgust in a preening display of tribalism, then whines and cries when people call her out on it. I don't give a poo poo what opinion you have regarding Internet slapfights, coming in here to make the primary statement that American McGee is a Dumb Nerd Baby then offer the qualifier that their prayers go out to their sister (when ironically enough McGee recieved a death threat involving her sister from someone claiming to be on the same sports team Arivia is on) is not just preening nonsense, it's not just entirely irrelevant to the thread, it's incredibly insulting to both McGee and his sister.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 8, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wait I'm not allowed to call American McGee a lovely game developer because something bad happened to one of his family members?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; so is posting "guys, don't have an Internet slap fight but I think you're a revolting human being for pointing out a lovely person is lovely, hth."

BattleMaster posted:

Wait I'm not allowed to call American McGee a lovely game developer because something bad happened to one of his family members?

His sister is probably dead, maybe partially over a stupid internet slapfight being taken too seriously, that some people on here want to continue to act out while mentioning the incident. So yes honestly mentioning he might have tweeted #notallmen in the same breath as this is extremely lovely and disgusting

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Using this opportunity when McGee is in public memory to insult him then turn around and offer a limp-dicked "oh but I hope his sister is okay" is loving disgusting. Super Go gently caress Yourself 64.

Insulting him (because yes, it is pretty much unsurprising that yet another white cis nerd turned out to be a loving idiot) is a separate statement from wishing his sister well. One doesn't invalidate the other.

Also, public memory? Did he die? Last I saw he was plugging KotakuInAction and whining about ethics in gaming journalism. He's old, tired poo poo, and he needs to go away. Like just retire, not move to another country and set up a new games development sweatshop there.

edit: Oh, and Kins the last time I posted in this thread was asking for help getting Memento Mori running in multiplayer. I pay attention to this thread because I like old lovely shooters, just like everyone else. I just care enough to call out shitheads when they're being lovely.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Insulting him (because yes, it is pretty much unsurprising that yet another white cis nerd turned out to be a loving idiot) is a separate statement from wishing his sister well. One doesn't invalidate the other.

Also, public memory? Did he die? Last I saw he was plugging KotakuInAction and whining about ethics in gaming journalism. He's old, tired poo poo, and he needs to go away. Like just retire, not move to another country and set up a new games development sweatshop there.

edit: Oh, and Kins the last time I posted in this thread was asking for help getting Memento Mori running in multiplayer. I pay attention to this thread because I like old lovely shooters, just like everyone else. I just care enough to call out shitheads when they're being lovely.

people are talking about american mcgee right now because something horrible has happened to his family. this might be unfortunate but american mcgee has the bad politics. mcgee's sister is probably dead but I have the good politics. let me remind you about my politics and why they're superior to his.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this is pretty much as gross as "oh that sucks that totalbiscuit's cancer is terminal but he's a cis transphobic racist homophobic MRA PUA pissbaby hitler hitler"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
See, now, if I'd known that this is what the thread would degrade into after linking that System Shock teaser page...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

See, now, if I'd known that this is what the thread would degrade into after linking that System Shock teaser page...

hype is a hell of a drug

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was laughing at him for coming to a dumb conclusion, right up until I learned that his sister was legitimately being stalked by some nutjob spouting anti-GG gibberish who seems to have specifically targeted her as a response to McGee having opinions about things. Had I have looked into it beyond what I posted earlier - "McGee makes absurd claims against internet people", literally all I knew and all I thought there was to know - I wouldn't have mentioned it at all. My bad.

Also, don't play Turok.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is pretty much as gross as "oh that sucks that totalbiscuit's cancer is terminal but he's a cis transphobic racist homophobic MRA PUA pissbaby hitler hitler"

That's actually exactly what i said about that as well. Sucks, but the guy's poo poo and we as a culture will be better off without him. (Is it actually terminal? Last I heard it had returned and metastasised, but that's not necessarily actually terminal.) Only thing was, that time I had first-hand experience after Totalbiscuit tried to paint me as Internet Target Number One for a day.

edit: the relevant part to the thread isn't McGee's sister, it's that McGee (who we talk about frequently in here) has turned out to be a goddamn idiot. It's just come to wider attention, that's all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arivia posted:

That's actually exactly what i said about that as well. Sucks, but the guy's poo poo and we as a culture will be better off without him. (Is it actually terminal? Last I heard it had returned and metastasised, but that's not necessarily actually terminal.) Only thing was, that time I had first-hand experience after Totalbiscuit tried to paint me as Internet Target Number One for a day.
:captainpop:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why? Turok owns. Admittedly not as much as Turok 2, but it's still great.
back when i played turok 2 i was like "this would be great if it ran at more than 8 fps"

i hope they get to it eventually

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, don't play Turok.

Why? Turok owns. Admittedly not as much as Turok 2, but it's still great.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Arivia posted:

That's actually exactly what i said about that as well. Sucks, but the guy's poo poo and we as a culture will be better off without him. (Is it actually terminal? Last I heard it had returned and metastasised, but that's not necessarily actually terminal.)

what the loving hell

edit:
okay uh desperately trying to steer this back on topic

The Kins posted:

From the Steam thread: Well now...

This is cool! Is there any indication that Kaiser will be involved with this as well? Last I heard he and Otherside was having some Strange Dealings.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 8, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stop talking about Reddit Kotaku board gamergate drama I don't care whose sister has cancer or whatever just stop please

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Thank you.

Here's a cool little mod someone's making for Quake that remodels the weapons and gibs to look a bit... Quake 2-ier? I guess that explains the mod's name...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wQD1u4VZg

It should be out soon, apparently.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Rappaport posted:

It took me until Wolfenstein: The New Order to learn WASD instead of the arrow keys :negative:

I played CS with the arrow keys, I also didn't own a computer. I'd go to LAN centers and change the keybindings when I played. No one knew what settings were, so I got in a lot of trouble for this. People would spawn in, find they couldn't move, and scream my name from across the room.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I started to play CS and Half-Life with arrows too wich was weird because I was a WSAD player since Unreal/Quake 2 but after some time I ended using WSAD on everything. I think the whole jump+duck combo made more sense if I played with arrows and used the numpad 0 for jump and right CTRL key for duck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Once upon a time, I played with mouse for aiming, arrow keys for moving, and numpad for jumping etc. :gonk:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The Kins posted:

Once upon a time, I played with mouse for aiming, arrow keys for moving, and numpad for jumping etc. :gonk:

My first real FPS as a mac-kid was Marathon, so I used the numpad for everything -- 8 4 6 2 for forward/back/turn left/turn right, 7 and 1 for look up/look down, I believe enter was "recenter" for that, and I believe it was spacebar shoot, possibly return for open doors/select. I didn't realize what stafing even was, yet I somehow made it through the first game (or at least to the last few levels where I was torn to shreds). I think the first proper WASD game I played was probably Quake 3 engined.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

I mean, so did everyone who was left-handed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, so did everyone who was left-handed.
I'm right-handed, that was the hosed up part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
http://www.othersidetease.com/strawberry.php

Meanwhile, from the Underworld Ascendant team...

e: oops, posted already

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 8, 2015