Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why don't you want to use overcast ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why don't you want to use overcast ?

Because Marco is a big dumb baby who might kill features, or the entire app, if Gruber doesn't like it.

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

The charging port on my iphone 6 is broken, I don't have applecare or anything. It will generally charge if I wiggle the cable just right and then don't touch the phone at all. What are my options for repair?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Death of Innocence posted:

The charging port on my iphone 6 is broken, I don't have applecare or anything. It will generally charge if I wiggle the cable just right and then don't touch the phone at all. What are my options for repair?
Check the port for lint.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

To ask the obligatory question: have you checked to see if it's just lint accumulating in the port that you can clean out with a toothpick or the like?

e:f,b

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Does the cable sit flush when you plug it in? Or does part of the lighting tip still show?

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

The cable does seem to sit flush. But I see some lint, I'll try to clean it out and see if that helps as soon as I get home. Thanks guys.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mulva posted:

Because Marco is a big dumb baby who might kill features, or the entire app, if Gruber doesn't like it.

Terribly silly to not use the best podcast app out there because you’re on the “Marco is stupid” bandwagon. Why do you even care about some guy who does fairly uninteresting, though somewhat controversial things on the internet a couple times a year? Like, how do those things impact you personally that you’ll boycott something honestly quite good, possibly even superlative?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bobfather posted:

Terribly silly to not use the best podcast app out there because you’re on the “Marco is stupid” bandwagon. Why do you even care about some guy who does fairly uninteresting, though somewhat controversial things on the internet a couple times a year? Like, how do those things impact you personally that you’ll boycott something honestly quite good, possibly even superlative?
Yeah, I don't eat at Chick fil A because they're bigot fucks but you can use Overcast without giving Marco any money.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mulva posted:

This. Marco is a dipshit and can suck a gnome dick with his nostrils for all I care.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I don't eat at Chick fil A because they're bigot fucks but you can use Overcast without giving Marco any money.

He's making money selling the data to someone, no way he's doing his pseudo-Patreon thing without a backup plan.

noirstronaut posted:

This. Marco is a dipshit and can suck a gnome dick with his nostrils for all I care.

Yep, besides I try not to use non-first party apps anyway as they tend to be slow to update when new hardware and/or software features are announced.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I use Overcast because it looks pretty and works. I guess that makes me worse than Hitler.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Never had any issues with playback with the podcast app. It occasionally forgets I listened to a bunch of episodes and starts downloading them again but playback has been flawless.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Since we're in the subject, how do you get Overcast to sort by download date instead of alphabetically?

For example Downcast puts the podcast with the most recent episode up top and tells me when it updated:

Instead of this view on overcast which doesn't tell me much except for an alphabetized list of the podcasts I subscribe to

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

E- looks like I have to do it with a playlist, hosed up if true

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 8, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, we're all using iPhones, right? Steve Jobs was also a huge rear end in a top hat.

I bet we have Facebook accounts and use Google? Zuck and those google guys are basically monsters as well.

I bought gas for my car and I know those oil company dudes are like 70% comic book villains...

The beneficence of a product's creator may be a good reason to avoid a product or not*, but if you start caring about that you kind of have to stop using most things being sold or else it just seems like you have this weird personal aversion to some stranger.

* I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, but that's a little off topic.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I tried Overcast for a while, but the only draw was smartspeed, and Downcast manages podcasts so much better for my use case, that Overcast got the boot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Oh for the days when Marco used to post here.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I mean, we're all using iPhones, right? Steve Jobs was also a huge rear end in a top hat.

I bet we have Facebook accounts and use Google? Zuck and those google guys are basically monsters as well.

I bought gas for my car and I know those oil company dudes are like 70% comic book villains...

The beneficence of a product's creator may be a good reason to avoid a product or not*, but if you start caring about that you kind of have to stop using most things being sold or else it just seems like you have this weird personal aversion to some stranger.

* I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, but that's a little off topic.

i don't think steve jobs, zuckerboy or the guys who own wawa are dipshits. i specifically think marco and shawn mendes are dipshits.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jesus, what did this Marco guy do?

For the record, the iOS Podcast app works great for me since it was revamped and I use it a few times a week with zero issues.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stare-Out posted:

Jesus, what did this Marco guy do?

For the record, the iOS Podcast app works great for me since it was revamped and I use it a few times a week with zero issues.

He was a little punk bitch who pulled his adblock app because Jon Gruber got mad that ads on DF were being blocked.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

He was a little punk bitch who pulled his adblock app because Jon Gruber got mad that ads on DF were being blocked.

So much worse than everyone else! This guy is a sui generis bad guy!!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i don't listen to tyga's music for the same reason i don't use marco's apps. they're both pussies and i don't gently caress w/ em

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use that logic for beastie boys. Carry on.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I want to use overcast but is there a simple way of transferring subscriptions and played/unplayed statuses from the stock app to overcast? I randomly listen to old episodes so I have like 200+ unplayed episodes that are not necessarily the latest ones and having to manually mark them all over again would be a bitch

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

lmao the iphone 6 is big enough without those abominations hanging off the bottom of it

It's a bad purchasing decision to fix a bad purchasing decision. Get over it.

Speaking of bulking up your phone, Apple has an entry into the battery-case market that is rather out of whack with the already well-served niche

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGQM2LL/A/iphone-6s-smart-battery-case-white

Whyyyyy

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I want to use overcast but is there a simple way of transferring subscriptions and played/unplayed statuses from the stock app to overcast? I randomly listen to old episodes so I have like 200+ unplayed episodes that are not necessarily the latest ones and having to manually mark them all over again would be a bitch

Sync with iTunes, then you can export your podcast subscription in iTunes to an OPML file. Import to overcast and rejoice.

Mulva posted:

This isn't even the reason and you're monumentally stupid for reading whatever lovely tech blog / clickbaiter gave you this idea FYI.
He changed his mind about the ethics of an all-or-nothing blocklist and decided he didn't want to do it; he wanted to implement an ad-block style 'good ads' whitelist but didn't want to re-write, so pulled instead.

This all got beat to death last time though, with a reasonable proportion of people not grasping that ad supported content is 99.99% of the web but whatever.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Khablam posted:

It's a bad purchasing decision to fix a bad purchasing decision. Get over it.

Speaking of bulking up your phone, Apple has an entry into the battery-case market that is rather out of whack with the already well-served niche

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGQM2LL/A/iphone-6s-smart-battery-case-white

Whyyyyy

Sync with iTunes, then you can export your podcast subscription in iTunes to an OPML file. Import to overcast and rejoice.

This isn't even the reason and you're monumentally stupid for reading whatever lovely tech blog / clickbaiter gave you this idea FYI.
He changed his mind about the ethics of an all-or-nothing blocklist and decided he didn't want to do it; he wanted to implement an ad-block style 'good ads' whitelist but didn't want to re-write, so pulled instead.

This all got beat to death last time though, with a reasonable proportion of people not grasping that ad supported content is 99.99% of the web but whatever.

I'd gladly give up 99.99% of the Internet that's ad supported because it's mostly garbage like the Verge and Gawker.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That battery case. Sucks because it would solve the technical gripes I'd have with the Mophies, aka the phone/case not communicating, and no Lightning on the case. But alas it looks like every HTC Android phone made in 2010-2011.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would buy it, but it's silicone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'd gladly give up 99.99% of the Internet that's ad supported because it's mostly garbage like the Verge and Gawker.

Also google, somethingawful, every single reputable news site, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.

I'm sure you would give up that all too right because you're so hardcore you don't need Google?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blinkz0rz posted:

edgy

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kitten smoothie posted:

That battery case. Sucks because it would solve the technical gripes I'd have with the Mophies, aka the phone/case not communicating, and no Lightning on the case. But alas it looks like every HTC Android phone made in 2010-2011.

Oh come on that's obviously an an optional extended-length battery. In fact, I don't recall any HTC phones ever being sold with a battery bump.

That said, the Apple battery case is just absolutely horrendous from a design standpoint and really underscores how ridiculous their dedication to thinness has gotten. All they had to do was put in some filler plastic to make the back the same thickness all the way across and I probably would have driven right down to the store immediately after seeing it here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
In order to get a full day's charge out of them you practically had to own one of the extended batteries. HTC phones from that time were bad. Full stop. The Thunderbolt (which that appears to be) was especially bad.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

benisntfunny posted:

Also google, somethingawful, every single reputable news site, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.

I'm sure you would give up that all too right because you're so hardcore you don't need Google?

they're free to pick a better business model if ads don't pan out

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In order to get a full day's charge out of them you practically had to own one of the extended batteries. HTC phones from that time were bad. Full stop. The Thunderbolt (which that appears to be) was especially bad.

Oh I won't debate that extended batteries were (and in some cases still are) mandatory for Android devices. I was protesting the implication that HTC routinely released phones with battery bumps, which was not the case. In fact, I consider HTC to be of the most consistently interesting and aesthetically pleasing Android phone makers, from the original G1 up until the M9. I was disappointed when they abandoned the smartphone "chins"--they were a little design touch that gave their phones individuality and personality without sacrificing usability.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
TBH my 6 Plus is the first phone I've ever owned where I felt a battery case wasn't a mandatory purchase. Hell, even my 4S needed one to get a full day of use for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure the G1 and its lumpy front can be considered as aesthetically pleasing. It was ugly as sin.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Oh man that battery case, gross.

Battery life is the biggest reason I got the + and couldn't be happier in that regard.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I asked this in the IOS App thread, and thought I might try here too.

nate fisher posted:

Help please! I am trying to find a replacement for Mailbox given the news from yesterday. So far from my research the best 2 possible replacements are Spark and Outlook. Since I use 2 step verification on my Apple ID, I have to make an app specific password. Well when I try to log onto Outlook it keeps telling me I need to set-up an @icloud.com email. At first I thought it was because I have an old @me.com address for my Apple email, but than I remember that @icloud.com also works with that email address.

I am using my Apple ID (that email is a Gmail address) to log into the iCloud on Outlook. Do I need to log in using one of Apple email addresses (that wouldn't make sense, since it is asking for iCloud sign on)? Anyone else experienced this? Also I have am having issues setting up Spark with iCloud (unable to authenticate).

Anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They must have let that one kid who got the job because he's an exec's nephew design that one because goddamn it violates just about everything the company stands for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

They must have let that one kid who got the job because he's an exec's nephew design that one because goddamn it violates just about everything the company stands for.

nah the real reason is that lovely designs have always been circulating within apple except back then stebe was around to flush them down the toilet where they belonged

today tim cocks process is basically 'can we sell it??? if yes, release'