Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Druids aren't really hobbled in dungeons. Run speed buffs can be cast anywhere now, and our main lines were always indoors and outdoors. Unless harmony was the only reason you wanted to play a druid, being indoors doesn't change much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm curious... why do you think that there will be lots of bards? Even with /melody, and I'm still not sure if that will be available, I kind of doubt that. They were by far the rarest class in early EQ, which I can say from ample experience, and I don't see a (huge) convenience feature like /melody making a big difference.

Melody was on Ragefire so it'll almost certainly be on the new one.

Do bard songs affect pets? Necro/Bard might be fun.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Synergy was what I was looking for and it would have worked out great but I popped over to mq and saw that they disabled it for Phin.

Edit: Changed my mind, with literally nothing else to do until the Overwatch beta comes back up, going to give it a go with a strange group: warrior, wizard, cleric, enchanter. Will be looking for the dps mans.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 7, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Do pets zone with their owner on the TLP?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Pilsner posted:

Do pets zone with their owner on the TLP?

Yup.

Except for Charms at least.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I might hop in on this as a cleric, I've got a paid account I haven't logged into in a while, but I don't know if I really want to make the time commitment.

Also, playing a cleric solo might drive me insane, but I don't think I can muster the energy to box 2 characters on separate machines, nor do I really want to set up isboxer or whatever it is, I did the MQ2 thing back in the day with warp/ghost and macros for like 6-7 different classes.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2015

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
After I heard about the instanced raids I was really interested in playing this progression server. Then I found out about the boxing rule and that killed all my drive to sub again. I have to at least 2 box and usually box my whole group. I dont think my wife would be too happy with me setting up 6 workstations to box on when my laptop is perfectly capable of playing 10+ sessions. Oh well maybe the next one!

Lyim_X
Oct 30, 2004
If you guys are still looking for a place to live on Phinny, you should give Magicus a good look. They were the #2 guild on lockjaw and managed to maintain a fairly sterling reputation of being well adjusted adults.

As far as I can tell they don't have any silly batphone requirements and managed to get stuff done not because they were zergy, but because some of their players were genuinely good at the game.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Lyim_X posted:

If you guys are still looking for a place to live on Phinny, you should give Magicus a good look. They were the #2 guild on lockjaw and managed to maintain a fairly sterling reputation of being well adjusted adults.

As far as I can tell they don't have any silly batphone requirements and managed to get stuff done not because they were zergy, but because some of their players were genuinely good at the game.

Magicus isn't run by Dima is it? That's Modest Man right?

I'm interested in a guild that:
a) Isn't using batphone
b) Isn't using DKP
c) Has officers that are chill and good at the game

I'm not against setting up a guild that meets these requirements if there's not others that fulfill it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Republicans posted:

Melody was on Ragefire so it'll almost certainly be on the new one.

Very loving happy to here this, but I'm still thinking enchanter even though travel is a loving nightmare in early EQ.

Hoohah posted:

a) Isn't using batphone
b) Isn't using DKP

I'm not against setting up a guild that meets these requirements if there's not others that fulfill it.

Why would you need batphone with instanced raids? Not being a douche; am I missing something? I would presume that "do it whenever you aren't locked out" would eliminate the time-dishonoured bullshit of ringing someone at 3 AM to fight a digital dragon.

As for me, I just want to have people to play with as I have no desire to box despite owning six computers that can run EQ sufficiently. I was having a grand time on Test until everyone hosed off and there was nothing to do. I'm not hardcore or terribly ambitious but I want to see the content, and that requires actual players as this is a multiplayer game.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

JustJeff88 posted:

Why would you need batphone with instanced raids? Not being a douche; am I missing something? I would presume that "do it whenever you aren't locked out" would eliminate the time-dishonoured bullshit of ringing someone at 3 AM to fight a digital dragon.

Apparently the raid targets will still spawn in non-instanced versions of the zones.

That leads me to a question, how deep down the rabbit hole have they said they're going? Are they going to raid instance literally every possible raid target, including comical stuff like instancing Emerald Jungle, Dreadlands, and Skyfire in Kunark, Great Divide for the Ring War in Velious, Akheva/Acrylia/Ssra/Seru in Luclin, all of PoP, Qvic/Txevu in GoD, Dreadspire in DoDH, etc? I realize most of these are far beyond what normal people would image, but I'm curious if they've said anything specific.

And out of more curiosity, how much of a clusterfuck was it on Ragefire/Lockjaw for VP key medallion bits?

Lyim_X
Oct 30, 2004

Hoohah posted:

a) Isn't using batphone
b) Isn't using DKP

Not run by Dima, that was Modest Man. Dupre is the Magicus guild leader. He was pretty much the champion of the lockjaw rotation before it's collapse.

I know they HAD a batphone. But I don't think they used it at all after Kunark was released. They pretty much only went after targets that were up during their schedule raid times. Didn't see them throw too many impromptu raids at Kunark targets. Maybe once or twice if they had the playerbase online.

I know they don't use DKP. I believe they use officer loot council system when I inquired about it. I didn't hear any of their members complaining about any corruption or anything. Infact the two people I asked about it when I was considering joining was that the officers tend to pass up everything.

Dunno about c), I never had any problems with any magicus players, including their officers. I grouped with one of their enchanters who was an officer and he was pretty chill and did his job well enough. (Wasn't exactly the hardest camp in Chardok and he seemed pretty on point)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Am I right in thinking necro/shaman would have pretty good synergy? The shaman can heal/regen the necro while it does all the legwork with lich up so mana should never be an issue as they gently caress things up with dots and a buffed-out skeleton.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Republicans posted:

Am I right in thinking necro/shaman would have pretty good synergy? The shaman can heal/regen the necro while it does all the legwork with lich up so mana should never be an issue as they gently caress things up with dots and a buffed-out skeleton.

I bet that they would. Shaman slows were amazing back in classic (unless they've mitigated them like they did on Live) and would help for necro pet tanking as skeletons aren't that tough. All of the DoTs would stack and you'd have plenty of healing, plus regen for the necro, as well as cute wolf pet.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Republicans posted:

A good rule of thumb with healers is:
1) Clerics heal and support tanks (Biggest, most efficient heals; all but one HP / AC buff slots; later on stuff like shining rampart, etc. A cross-benefit is eventually they get a spell haste buff and short duration, high regen elixirs)
2) Shamans heal and support melee (Their epic 2.0 increases skill crits, not spells; their shielding buff adds melee bonuses; they don't get any int/wis buffs. A cross-benefit is their Malo line that decreases resists and slow is never bad.)
3) Druids heal and support casters (Their epic 2.0 increases magical damage taken; they get spells that reduce fire and other resists; snare to keep things away; their HP buff also has mana/hp regen, etc. A cross-benefit is a lot of their spells also reduce the AC on the target)

This is absolutely not hard and fast, you can easily get away with using healers that are not the above ideal, especially in the early days of vanilla until about OOW or so.

Edit: Also the best healer as a tank I've ever had during the last round of playing was a druid. She could be annoying as hell, talked all the time, and was like 15, but damned if that girl wasn't the only person I could rely on to not let me die if I had to do something not-spam healing on my cleric/shaman.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Honestly I'll be surprised if I'm still playing after Velious and anything past PoP era is completely foreign to me. That said I am having a tough time deciding between druid and shaman just because ports were so dang convenient when I played mage/druid on Ragefire.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 7, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Shaman+necro is pretty good yeah. Shaman have a couple ports they can make, permafrost and maybe Cazic-thule pot I think.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wonder if it's the exact same Dima that played on SolRo back in the day, loved that dude but he was a grade A piece of poo poo when it came down to some things.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I am a complete outsider to any knowledge of EQ guilds so this is pretty much just me talking out my rear end.

Everything I have read about the majority of the big name TLP guilds is that they are just RMTs in disguise. There seems to be some sect of any guild that has poo poo on and screwed over the rest. Modest Man, TL Citizen whatever they're all callled. I think the big drama was the leader of MM announcing the move to Phinny and cashing out on all the banked CoF and dragon scales instead of giving them to dudes who were staying on the home server. Some of these people were bards who were waiting on their turn at the scales because they charge DKP for finishing them as a guild. :iiam:

I have not heard any bad things about Magicus. If they are a bunch of dudes who just like to kill internet dragons and are pretty good at it without having to wake up at 5am, that sounds like a group for me. I'll check them out.

EDIT: Holy poo poo. The guild you are talking about is MiM. I know them from way back in Ultima Online on Chesse.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 7, 2015

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

I am a complete outsider to any knowledge of EQ guilds so this is pretty much just me talking out my rear end.

Everything I have read about the majority of the big name TLP guilds is that they are just RMTs in disguise. There seems to be some sect of any guild that has poo poo on and screwed over the rest. Modest Man, TL Citizen whatever they're all callled. I think the big drama was the leader of MM announcing the move to Phinny and cashing out on all the banked CoF and dragon scales instead of giving them to dudes who were staying on the home server. Some of these people were bards who were waiting on their turn at the scales because they charge DKP for finishing them as a guild. :iiam:

As much criticism as Dima deserves, this is not one of them. I was in Citizen for years and I plan to play with his guild again on Phinny. I can confirm having seen logs and screenshots of him passing cloaks and scales to guild leaders of guilds staying on lockjaw. The people posting about that on the forums are plainly wrong.

As to the RMT rumors, I've never once seen evidence of that. There is some selling of drops well after they've become trivial, but that is done as smaller groups of people in old content, not as a guild initiative.

As to charging dkp for epics, it's more about prioritizing contributors and determining order of awards than some sinister screwing of members. When you have 8 warriors, how do you determine priority? Or with 12 clerics?

The guild does raid night hits on every raid-required target for people's epics. Everyone gets it eventually. People who want it first, ahead of others in the same class, pay dkp up front for priority.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
RMT is real, but it's not a guild wide iniative of the big guilds. Usually a couple friends farm stuff and sell it, maybe they happen to be in a big guild. It wouldn't make sense to sell raid gear to rival guilds while you were still playing.

But Building guilds is really a lot of work, so if some poo poo bard that's last on the list doesn't get their epic before the guild/server implodes, boohoo.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Stanos posted:

I wonder if it's the exact same Dima that played on SolRo back in the day, loved that dude but he was a grade A piece of poo poo when it came down to some things.

I played on SolRo with the Dima your thinking of, I was an officer for the raid team in Eternal Flames. I had the same thought, I wonder if it is the same Dima because he was p.cool.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Da Mott Man posted:

I played on SolRo with the Dima your thinking of, I was an officer for the raid team in Eternal Flames. I had the same thought, I wonder if it is the same Dima because he was p.cool.

It's the same Dima. I was in Destiny with him on Solusek Ro (Paradigm later). I was also in Citizen when it started.

Dima kept Citizen in line from wanting to be dicks all the time when I played, but that was right before Kunark came out. He was always a good guy.

I was Nibiuno on Solusek Ro and TLP, Ill be playing this one off and on if were starting a guild thats more casual. Id love to play with Dima again but I dont have the time anymore.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I played a Paladin in classic and when I came back a year or so ago i loved the character still, but watching my buddy play his DK and just wreck poo poo made me super jealous. If I came over for Phinny, any suggestions on what to play of those two? I never felt like I was "good" with anything besides a hybrid, but I never got anything past 70 as an alt anyways.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
SKs are just kind of dumb but you will probably see a million of them because of that and lol at ever getting your epic in a reasonable timeframe without a bunch of socks. Play what you want, SKs don't get the stuff that makes them really overpowered until years down the line for phinny.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

The Rage posted:

I played a Paladin in classic and when I came back a year or so ago i loved the character still, but watching my buddy play his DK and just wreck poo poo made me super jealous. If I came over for Phinny, any suggestions on what to play of those two? I never felt like I was "good" with anything besides a hybrid, but I never got anything past 70 as an alt anyways.

I have no idea what this "DK" class is. Bad games probably have classes you can abbreviate as DK.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Idk about you but I'm making a Wood Elf DonkeyKong as soon as the new server opens.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Human Bard.

Bard McBard of Freeport.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Friendly reminder that if you haven't played in years Freeport has changed and is far more terrible to get around now.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah it's pretty terrible. I'd go anywhere but Freeport but I love being central to everything. Mapfiend has helped me out a lot so far. Qeynos is where all the human/half elf action will be. Any of you that played on the last batch of TLP remember when dungeons start opening new instances? Like Blackburrow and Paw compared to Lower Guk and SolB.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Stanos posted:

Friendly reminder that if you haven't played in years Freeport has changed and is far more terrible to get around now.

And looks like absolute dogshit

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
About 30 people, but they'll stay open as long as someone is in them. It wasn't uncommon a few hours after peak (say 10pm PST) to have 3-9 instances of LGuk with 5-15 people each.

I just hope this pass around that they don't have 6-box mage groups hopping from instance to instance in the FBSS etc camps.

I had a few late night groups where we'd be the only group in LGuk or MM. If you play at the right time, you can have (almost) free access to most loot camps. The best ones are probably still going to be taken 24/7, though

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Spent 5 hours today setting everything up, and gave it a test go with War Clr Enc Wiz. Should be pretty fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Would either of these be able to handle running EQ well? I'm looking to pick up a cheap laptop to run a box along side my desktop.

http://www.pcrichard.com/Asus/Asus-15-6inch-Intel-Core-i3-Dual-Core-Processor-Notebook-Computer/F551CA-FH31.pcrp
or
http://www.pcrichard.com/Hewlett-Packard/HP-15-6inch-Intel-Core-i3-Dual-Core-Processor-Notebook-Computer-with-Windows-8-1/15-AC078NR.pcrp

Or could I get away with getting something even cheaper? Say...

http://www.pcrichard.com/Toshiba/Toshiba-Chromebook-2-13-3inch-Intel-Celeron-Dual-Core-Processor-Computer-with-Chrome-OS/CB35-B-3330.pcrp
or
http://www.pcrichard.com/Hewlett-Pa.../13-C110NR.pcrp

I know EQ ran on pretty much anything back in the day, but I'm not sure what it takes nowadays with all the changes the game has gone through.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The ugly-as-poo poo blue one should run it just fine but I doubt EQ would run on chrome OS so get a windows machine.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

If it can run win 7/8/10, it should be able to run EQ. If it doesn't run windows, you're hosed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool thanks fellas. Gonna get everything set up for tomorrow!

Edit: Good to hear Baconroll. I really want to be able to 2box, but couldn't justify spending $400+ just to play a game that came out when I was 12 years old.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 8, 2015

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

RCarr posted:

Would either of these be able to handle running EQ well? I'm looking to pick up a cheap laptop to run a box along side my desktop.

http://www.pcrichard.com/Asus/Asus-15-6inch-Intel-Core-i3-Dual-Core-Processor-Notebook-Computer/F551CA-FH31.pcrp
or
http://www.pcrichard.com/Hewlett-Packard/HP-15-6inch-Intel-Core-i3-Dual-Core-Processor-Notebook-Computer-with-Windows-8-1/15-AC078NR.pcrp

Or could I get away with getting something even cheaper? Say...

http://www.pcrichard.com/Toshiba/Toshiba-Chromebook-2-13-3inch-Intel-Celeron-Dual-Core-Processor-Computer-with-Chrome-OS/CB35-B-3330.pcrp
or
http://www.pcrichard.com/Hewlett-Pa.../13-C110NR.pcrp

I know EQ ran on pretty much anything back in the day, but I'm not sure what it takes nowadays with all the changes the game has gone through.

I've run EQ fine on a HP Stream 11 - same guts as the 13 just a smaller screen (but same resolution). I just use the old models and knock down the particle effects and its ok.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Republicans posted:

The ugly-as-poo poo blue one should run it just fine but I doubt EQ would run on chrome OS so get a windows machine.
I beg to differ. A Dual Core is ancient technology, 2 GB RAM is too little, and 32 GB storage, hmm. An EQ client easily eats 750 MB RAM and the install takes about 11 GB. Remember that Windows and other various stuff will also eat up a lot.

Don't be fooled just because the laptop is new and EQ is old. Low-end bargain laptops are seriously about the same as they were 7-8 years ago: A weak Dual Core CPU, too little RAM, and dog slow. You might as well buy a used ThinkPad T61, no joke.

Even if it's just a slave box, you will have long load times, potentially missed keystrokes as it struggles with the framerate, and not much use for the laptop if you want to use it for other things.

I'd get one of the first two ones, that should be fine though.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Now I have to decide on a 2box team.

Monk/Bard - sounds like a lot of fun but the lack of heals will probably make it unbearable.

Druid/Enchanter - Ports, Run Speed, Snare, DoTs, Clarity, Charms, Heals, Root, Tash, Damage Shields, Runes, PL capacity - I might have to go with this one

Druid/Necro - Probably a deadly combo for outdoor zones - would be stupid easy to kite stuff

Monk/Shaman- Ehh... I've played both a monk & shaman to 85+ and I want to try something new

Necro/Cleric - An interesting combo that would theoretically work well together? Would absolutely destroy undead stuff & rez is nice - no run speed though, probably better off going Necro/Enchanter, Necro/Druid, or Necro/Shaman though?