Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

To me it sounds like his teeth suddenly exploded out of his jaw at high velocity, killing him instantly.

Must have been Ferdinand Porsche's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Were they passing by a window in the evening at the time by any chance?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So here's a question - how much did the British Empire contribute to the British war effort in WW2, compared to how much they cost to defend? I've heard it said that the European colonies of the Victorian era largely cost more than they bought in, and I'm curious if those colonies did prove their worth in a crisis.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Nebakenezzer posted:

What was Porsche's rationale for hybrid drivetrains, anyway? He thought super-tanks were going to be metaphorically huge, and knew hybrid drivetrains were the one practical drive system? BRB, I want to see if I can find out what the drivetrain of those giant-rear end wheel excavators are like-

Pretty much everyone tried out some sort of diesel-electic transmission at the time, but none of it panned out. Mechanically speaking it's a really nice way to transmit power, electric motors are dead simple, easy to control and hard to gently caress up, you don't have clutches and gearboxes that tend to break easily when mishandled ,you can keep the gas engine at a single RPM for best performance or economy, and the concept ended up being used in a whole lot of ships and nearly every diesel locomotive to this day, but it's not very suited to a tank.

As EE said it's heavy and copper hungry, but one of the main issues is that it's hot. You get to not only have to cool the engines but also the generator, electric motors and control gear, and a tank is at it's core a closed metal box. Turns out it's really hard to have enough airflow without making swiss cheese out of the armor, and that you end up having to use a lot of space and engine power for a shitload of fans. As a result most of the electric drive tank experiments had a lot of problems with overheating and catching fire.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, the dirty soviet secret to tank making is rear drive/not having a drive shaft go through the entire tank?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tomn posted:

So here's a question - how much did the British Empire contribute to the British war effort in WW2, compared to how much they cost to defend? I've heard it said that the European colonies of the Victorian era largely cost more than they bought in, and I'm curious if those colonies did prove their worth in a crisis.

We contributed the lives of our soldiers and received very little in return. :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tomn posted:

Well, Canada costed pretty much nothing to defend and contributed a ton of soldiers, for one.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah, a huge chunk of the 'British' troops in WWI were from the Empire, though in WWII this had to a large part gone away due to the Indians and Australians deciding to, you know, keep people at home since the Japanese were a 'knocking.

The Empire always made more financial sense to the British anyway compared to other countries since:

1. Britain needed a large navy to defend itself anyway, so it wasn't a burden to build a large navy to defend the colonies as well (as it was for say Germany, who also had to maintain a huge army)
2. Britain was one of the earliest manufacturing centres and the Empire provided cheap raw materials and a captive export market.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sarmhan posted:

Early tooth eruption is a thing that can happen, but it could be any number of things. Without any other information nutrition/infection is the most likely cause, but that's probably the assumption for most deaths in this period. The pre-antibiotic, pre-dentistry world had a lot of deaths due to dental abcesses.

Also, teething was originally thought to be unnatural, and so surgeons actually carved up the gums to help the child, with predictable results.

To get that image out of your head, have a bunch of boss rear end czechs riding gun parts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tias posted:

Also, teething was originally thought to be unnatural, and so surgeons actually carved up the gums to help the child, with predictable results.

I'm guessing this is only a few societies, but holy poo poo how this this concept come about to them :psyduck:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tias posted:

To get that image out of your head, have a bunch of boss rear end czechs riding gun parts.

"Hmm yes this thing that everyone does twice in their lives is unnatural, best interfere." :psyduck:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It happens around the same time a lot of infants used to die. It's one of humanity's more painful lessons in "correlation does not equal causation"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
That gum-splitting thing ranks up there with Symphysiotomy in terms of horrendous medical procedures :stonk:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when i had eye surgery they told me they had to take the stitches out without anaesthesia, which they did

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Endman posted:

We contributed the lives of our soldiers and received very little in return. :colbert:

Seriously, where the gently caress is that memorial.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HEY GAL posted:

when i had eye surgery they told me they had to take the stitches out without anaesthesia, which they did

I really wish somebody would work out a way of using anesthesia for eye stuff. Probably would win them a Nobel prize

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

So, the dirty soviet secret to tank making is rear drive/not having a drive shaft go through the entire tank?

That, and not doubling down on the armour when your tank is heavy enough as it is, see the KV-1S and IS-8.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Splode posted:

I really wish somebody would work out a way of using anesthesia for eye stuff. Probably would win them a Nobel prize

I really wish those neat sci-fi injectors that have no visible needle would be a thing too :smith:.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

Wait, that was actually a thing? What's the reason for that?

This entire time I just assumed they didn't give a poo poo, but I sucked it up because life is pain

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

not the bossest czechs ever, but certainly top ten

edit: i'm the cape

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 8, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really wish those neat sci-fi injectors that have no visible needle would be a thing too :smith:.

They are : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_injector

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, that is interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Splode posted:

I got anaesthetic eyedrops when I had eye surgery.
(They just needed to skin the cornea rather than cut into the eyeball, so that might have been the difference)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They used one of those on my balls for the vasectomy. I wouldn't have had any problem with a needle but that was what the best snip doc in town used so that's what I got.

Wasn't too bad, at least not as bad as the jokes he was telling while doing the operation ("we're big on sterility here" after swabbing betadine and "this tape is what passes for bondage here, it's a catholic hospital" after walking in with a fake "vasectomy for dummies" book cover around my chart folder.)

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Your brain and eyes are isolated from the rest of your body by the blood-brain barrier. Hence, getting medicine into these two areas is a real pain and it's a big area of interest in nano-medicine to address this difficulty.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, where the gently caress is that memorial.

I think you'll find that remembrance day and the cenotaph are for Commonwealth soldiers as well :smug:

Now let me scream shrilly about ARE LADS and flanders fields

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking at the colonies as an investment that's supposed to make returns kind of doomed colonization in the long run. If the US did that for states, then one bad fiscal year and we'd be ejecting things from the union.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Going back to the Panther for a moment, I've always thought that this giant thing written by Rossmum and posted on the World of Tanks forums is actually a pretty good look at the tank. It doesn't necessarily reach different conclusions from EE's article, but it does a better job getting there-there's lots of contextualizing the various design features of the Panther in reference to other German and Allied tank designs, and lays out the tank's flaws and weaknesses (Its many, many weaknesses) in a fairly organized fashion. Worth a look, in any case.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Did the amorphous nature of armies in the 30 years war make gathering military intelligence easier or harder? I remember seeing a couple comments about commanders who had zero idea where their opponents were, and finding this strange, if everyone is always spread out over the countryside. But at the same time, seeing individual soldiers "everywhere" maybe makes it harder to get a clear idea of where they're centered?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

They used one of those on my balls for the vasectomy. I wouldn't have had any problem with a needle but that was what the best snip doc in town used so that's what I got.

Wasn't too bad, at least not as bad as the jokes he was telling while doing the operation ("we're big on sterility here" after swabbing betadine and "this tape is what passes for bondage here, it's a catholic hospital" after walking in with a fake "vasectomy for dummies" book cover around my chart folder.)

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Wrt. eye surgery, why don't doctors give you morphine or something?

Wrt. colonies, isn't the main thing about colonies to make them produce raw materials for you and sell them manufactured goods back? And after establishing the economic dependency it doesn't matter if they get independent (at least it won't matter for a long time).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Splode posted:

Didn't they originally use cocaine for this?

E: In the UK, I'm pretty sure a pharmacist is allowed cocaine as well as diamorphine, so they must be using it for something.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 8, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

Wrt. eye surgery, why don't doctors give you morphine or something?

Wrt. colonies, isn't the main thing about colonies to make them produce raw materials for you and sell them manufactured goods back? And after establishing the economic dependency it doesn't matter if they get independent (at least it won't matter for a long time).

A lot of doctors swear by cocaine for eye surgery. It's an anesthetic as well as a vasoconstrictor, so it limits bleeding as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

House Louse posted:

Didn't they originally use cocaine for this?

E: In the UK, I'm pretty sure a pharmacist is allowed cocaine as well as diamorphine, so they must be using it for something.

Yep, cocaine is a topical anesthetizer(?), used in dentistry and eye surgery. Not sure if it helps with the actual eyeball, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

shallowj posted:

Did the amorphous nature of armies in the 30 years war make gathering military intelligence easier or harder? I remember seeing a couple comments about commanders who had zero idea where their opponents were, and finding this strange, if everyone is always spread out over the countryside. But at the same time, seeing individual soldiers "everywhere" maybe makes it harder to get a clear idea of where they're centered?

'Everywhere' is a pretty useless answer for "where is the enemy?" It also makes the second most important question "how many of them are there?" near impossible to answer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Splode posted:

I got eye surgery done just a few weeks ago, and this exists. Just drops that they apply which totally numbs the eyes; the doc had various tools inside my eyes and I felt nothing.

No general anesthesia because they want you conscious to be able to keep your eyes steady by looking at something, and it carries more risk than topical anesthesia and something like Ativan to keep you relaxed while the doc rummages around in there.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 8, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Let's go back to the Caucasus! General Yudenich, in command of Russian forces, has spent the last six months mostly being given lemons. Now it seems as though his theatre could soon be flooded with men heading east from Gallipoli. So he's stolen Enver Pasha's old plan for an offensive, except this time he's going to try to do things properly and see if he can't make some lemonade before the enemy's reinforcements can arrive. Meanwhile, Louis Barthas attempts to do some thinking and gets rebuffed, quelle surprise.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PittTheElder posted:

I got eye surgery done just a few weeks ago, and this exists. Just drops that they apply which totally numbs the eyes; the doc had various tools inside my eyes and I felt nothing.

No general anesthesia because they want you conscious to be able to keep your eyes steady by looking at something, and it carries more risk than typical anesthesia and something like Ativan to keep you relaxed while the doc rummages around in there.

Oh yeah, I forgot local anesthetic is a thing. I guess Heygal's doctors just wanted her to suffer.

Sorry about the derail though

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I spent all morning running down wiki holes related to Pearl Harbor and battleships and came across an incredibly cool survey of the USS Arizona's wreck.

Really want a pic of that ketchup bottle. Hero, ketchup bottle.

Here's a higher res image.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Let's go back to the Caucasus! General Yudenich, in command of Russian forces, has spent the last six months mostly being given lemons. Now it seems as though his theatre could soon be flooded with men heading east from Gallipoli. So he's stolen Enver Pasha's old plan for an offensive, except this time he's going to try to do things properly and see if he can't make some lemonade before the enemy's reinforcements can arrive. Meanwhile, Louis Barthas attempts to do some thinking and gets rebuffed, quelle surprise.

It's very important to make sure your trenches have an aesthetically pleasing symmetry.

• Locked thread