Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Armacham posted:

This one is my favorite

Sir, I was riding in my limousine through this fine neighborhood, and I couldn't help but notice this price specimen, this stunning and expensive truck. How would you like to come work for a real winner such as myself?

Edit: meant to say prize specimen, but frankly, price is more appropriate.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Sir, I was riding in my limousine through this fine neighborhood, and I couldn't help but notice this price specimen, this stunning and expensive truck. How would you like to come work for a real winner such as myself?

I think the idea is that he can now drive to various places and hand deliver his resume, but it's still stupid. I guess public transit doesn't exist? And from what else I was told, he's mostly been looking at government work, so all the applications are done online anyway.

Senf fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 8, 2015

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
They already had a truck, though

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

They already had a truck, though

It probably wasn't new enough :911:

And yes, I'm pretty sure it was offered to him for free but I'm not totally sure. They gave them the $3,000 they made by selling it, so I think him getting the truck for free is a safe assumption.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SpelledBackwards posted:

Plot twist: job is commission only sales buying and selling horse equity.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Senf posted:

Earlier today, I learned that a friend's relative just purchased a brand-new double cab truck for $32,000. It isn't a terrible purchase by itself, however:

What the heck is it with Americans and trucks? They seem to be the "sports cars" of the younger generation. Impractical, gas guzzling, expensive. Plus, they must be absolutely impossible to park.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

What the heck is it with Americans and trucks? They seem to be the "sports cars" of the younger generation. Impractical, gas guzzling, expensive. Plus, they must be absolutely impossible to park.

It gets a lot easier when you realize the yellow lines in the parking lot are just suggestions.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Marketing. Truck owner = self reliant cowboy/blue collar. Watch an American pickup add sometime. Its all about all the manly and blue collar things you will (never) do with it and tough tough it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Ab2VT-g6s

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 8, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Corolla ain't got no hemi.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The Corolla had a Hemi back in 1971
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2007/11/01/hmn_feature17.html

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

-Zydeco- posted:

Marketing. Truck owner = self reliant cowboy/blue collar. Watch an American pickup add sometime. Its all about all the manly and blue collar things you will (never) do with it and tough tough it is.

This trend is maddening for me because I would like a pickup truck to do those manly blue collar things that I also wouldn't want to do in a pickup that cost 56-thousand dollars. I'd never buy new, but a regular cab (yes, they still make those) with a regular box (long boxes seem to be a thing of the past) and no options fancier than an AUX input on the stereo still runs you about 30-thousand.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Antifreeze Head posted:

This trend is maddening for me because I would like a pickup truck to do those manly blue collar things that I also wouldn't want to do in a pickup that cost 56-thousand dollars. I'd never buy new, but a regular cab (yes, they still make those) with a regular box (long boxes seem to be a thing of the past) and no options fancier than an AUX input on the stereo still runs you about 30-thousand.

Buy a used truck, since New Vehicles Are Always Bad With Money?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Those trucks always have the most wiggle room in the price too. You can get 10k off sticker with good timing.

Still wouldn't buy a new truck, but you COULD!

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

-Zydeco- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Ab2VT-g6s

Manly stuff, like remotely opening the tailgate (0:23), wiggling your car's ears (0:28), or towing your horse equity (0:36)? :clint:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

It's not really the younger generation, the top three selling vehicles in the US are pickup trucks and it's been that way since basically forever

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pickups have been popular here forever, but the $60K luxotruck is definitely a new beast. I keep waiting for one of the manufacturers to find the market top in this segment and am shocked at how well they do every time they blow through another price barrier. At this rate, the $100K 2021 Platinum Deluxe F150 Brougham appears to be headed for reality.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Look at these pussies with their little ute. They should get a truck instead. Something you could fill with 50 dead horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-aDFrGqNE

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

My friend just told me that she found out they bought the 4x2 instead of the 4x4 "because that would have cost a couple extra grand" :allears:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
The Ford F-650, the real-life Canyonero:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Senf posted:

My friend just told me that she found out they bought the 4x2 instead of the 4x4 "because that would have cost a couple extra grand" :allears:

GWM :smug:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Pickups have been popular here forever, but the $60K luxotruck is definitely a new beast. I keep waiting for one of the manufacturers to find the market top in this segment and am shocked at how well they do every time they blow through another price barrier. At this rate, the $100K 2021 Platinum Deluxe F150 Brougham appears to be headed for reality.

They're nowhere close to the market top. The challenge is selling someone with that much money a $100k truck rather than a $60k truck and also an Escalade or something.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I live in the prairies and I am still lauging my rear end off at the moronic oil rig workers who bought a new f-150 every year and now, are crying about not having any money.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I don't understand, why would you need a new F-150 every year? Aren't they known for being 20-year light farm trucks?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Same reason old dudes buy a new Cadillac every year. Can't be stuntin on fools with last years model.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you actually need a big truck for your primary job, it's not insane to get one with comfort features since you're probably spending several hours a day in it. A huge, reliable drive train costs money, and if you're actually working in the thing, or have employees that do their work in the thing, the price is not insane. Someone using it as a mobile office is probably not buying a new one every year and putting flame decals on it, obvs, they're driving the drat thing until the wheels fall off.

People who buy them for their commute are the same dudes who do Spartan races. Gotta feel like a tough dude, can't/don't actually do tough dude things.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NancyPants posted:

If you actually need a big truck for your primary job, it's not insane to get one with comfort features since you're probably spending several hours a day in it.

The guys who use trucks for their primary job seem to have hideous old rattlebangers, because they use them to haul pipes and stuff, which tend to scrape beautiful paintwork. Vanity trucks seem to have tiny little cargo areas, just about big enough to haul a dead deer, which is probably the heaviest thing they are ever called upon to transport.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If your truck has no scratches after a year, you probably don't need a truck. It's all about image, but that is true in all cultures.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's a lot easier to get the IRS to look past your personal construction business's luxo barge if it says "F-150" instead of "Cadillac" on the back.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Space Gopher posted:

It's a lot easier to get the IRS to look past your personal construction business's luxo barge if it says "F-150" instead of "Cadillac" on the back.

In New Zealand heavy vehicles attract a higher depreciation write off than regular cars. So there's an advantage. I'm assuming it's similar in the US.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

NancyPants posted:

If you actually need a big truck for your primary job, it's not insane to get one with comfort features since you're probably spending several hours a day in it. A huge, reliable drive train costs money, and if you're actually working in the thing, or have employees that do their work in the thing, the price is not insane. Someone using it as a mobile office is probably not buying a new one every year and putting flame decals on it, obvs, they're driving the drat thing until the wheels fall off.

People who buy them for their commute are the same dudes who do Spartan races. Gotta feel like a tough dude, can't/don't actually do tough dude things.

When I worked at a GMC dealership, there was a guy that came in every year in the Fall and traded in his 4x4 Sierra 2500 for a new one. The ones he traded in always had between 70-85k miles on them too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Mandingo posted:

When I worked at a GMC dealership, there was a guy that came in every year in the Fall and traded in his 4x4 Sierra 2500 for a new one. The ones he traded in always had between 70-85k miles on them too.

I bet that guy works in sales for the kind of industry where all his clients drive trucks (oil/gas, mining, construction)

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Edit: ^^^^ Definitely. Can't buy no poo poo from some city slicker! Gotta buy from someone who represents the failings of southern agriculture and education.

Not a Children posted:

I don't understand, why would you need a new F-150 every year? Aren't they known for being 20-year light farm trucks?

The crazy part is that they can't even say it was to pick up chicks. There were no chicks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

The crazy part is that they can't even say it was to pick up chicks. There were no chicks.

Chicks don't go for F-150s just the gay community.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Devian666 posted:

Chicks don't go for F-150s

:lol: forever, stay outta Texas bubba

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpelledBackwards posted:

price specimen

Delightful.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I know I've posted about Australian property prices a few times before, but I have a doozy.

So I have a mate of mine, he's about 24. He works in a Christian organisation, and all of his salary is completely through raising support. It's about $45,000 a year. If he doesn't have donations coming in, he doesn't get to work.

His wife also works there, earning a similar amount, although she's about to leave and take up a relief teaching job. It'd be about $50-60k.

Anyway, we're catching up. Shooting the poo poo.

Then he tells me the house they're in - they bought.

It's not exactly a palace, but it's fine. Three bedrooms, nice lounge area. Parts of it are renovated, parts aren't. It's 40kms out of the CBD, lots of grass. A mid-size pool. Houses on the street are going for $600k.

They got it for $450,000.

"Oh yeah...we saved on rent for a few years..." (they stayed in a place their parents owned) "so we were able to save up a lot. My pay just covers the mortgage and then we live off whatever the wife earns".

With a job that is entirely dependent on raising support.

Even if they paid 20% deposit, which I don't think they did, that's repayments of more than $2,000 a month. To say nothing of when interest rates rise.

Why are Australian property owners bad with money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

I know I've posted about Australian property prices a few times before, but I have a doozy.

So I have a mate of mine, he's about 24. He works in a Christian organisation, and all of his salary is completely through raising support. It's about $45,000 a year. If he doesn't have donations coming in, he doesn't get to work.

His wife also works there, earning a similar amount, although she's about to leave and take up a relief teaching job. It'd be about $50-60k.

Anyway, we're catching up. Shooting the poo poo.

Then he tells me the house they're in - they bought.

It's not exactly a palace, but it's fine. Three bedrooms, nice lounge area. Parts of it are renovated, parts aren't. It's 40kms out of the CBD, lots of grass. A mid-size pool. Houses on the street are going for $600k.

"Oh yeah...we saved on rent for a few years..." (they stayed in a place their parents owned) "so we were able to save up a lot. My pay just covers the mortgage and then we live off whatever the wife earns".

Even if they paid 20% deposit, which I don't think they did, that's repayments of more than $2,000 a month. To say nothing of when interest rates rise.

Are Aussie mortgage rates not fixed?

I guess you can still get ARMs in the States, but I don't hear them advertised anymore.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

If most of his pay is going on the mortgage then they must have a deposit in the 5-10% range. Only another 30 years of living like that and they can start saving for their retirement.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are Aussie mortgage rates not fixed?

I guess you can still get ARMs in the States, but I don't hear them advertised anymore.

Most people are fixing 1-3 years at the most so I believe this is in relation to future increases when they refix the mortgage.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 9, 2015

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You can get fixed mortgages but at max they're for 5 years, most are for 1 to 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I bet that guy works in sales for the kind of industry where all his clients drive trucks (oil/gas, mining, construction)

All the trucks were in good shape, except for the bed. He was hauling stuff in it so it was definitely a work truck and not a show truck.

• Locked thread