Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I went to bed after New Day were done. I slept well, woke up at a reasonable hour and watched Breaking Ground as I ate breakfast. I have not watched a recording of any part of Raw that occurred after I switched it off, and I have no intention of finding any such recording.

Next week, please, join me. Better yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

I went to bed after New Day were done. I slept well, woke up at a reasonable hour and watched Breaking Ground as I ate breakfast. I have not watched a recording of any part of Raw that occurred after I switched it off, and I have no intention of finding any such recording.

Next week, please, join me. Better yourselves.

I actually did this same exact thing and yeah it's the first time in a few weeks where i don't feel like I wasted my entire monday night, also breaking ground ends with real footage of Eva Marie kicking carmella right in the head.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Weird post, so please bear with me.

I’ve been watching a lot of old school 1970’s era Doctor Who lately. Right now I’m going through the stories that are considered to be the show’s “Golden Age” in the mid 70’s with Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. The producer/showrunner at the time was a man named Philip Hinchcliffe, who helped put together a run of stories that still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD’s are fascinating to me as they talk about how the episodes came together, how the script was written, how the crew did the sets, and so on. Even though the special effects were dodgy and there was a good number of “man in a rubber suit” aliens, a lot of these stories still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. What really struck me was this line from Hinchcliffe.

quote:

I wasn’t interested in telling good Doctor Who stories. I was interested in telling good STORIES. You assemble a good crew, a good staff, good actors, and a good script, and everything else had a tendency to fall into place.

THIS is where I think the WWE is screwing up right now. The writers (and Vince, and maybe HHH) are so concerned with telling a good WWE story that they’re failing to tell a good story period. To them, the WWE is the brand, and right now Roman Reigns is the face (or face-in-waiting). So everything that the WWE is focused on producing right now is done with the sole goal of getting Reigns over and telling HIS story, aka the WWE’s story. It’s “Roman Reigns and Company.” It’s Dean Ambrose, “Roman Reigns’ buddy.” It’s the Usos, “Roman Reigns’ cousins.” It’s “how do we make Reigns look strong.” It’s not “how to we tell a good Roman Reigns story” because those stories would involve Reigns looking weak, or Reigns looking like he can’t pull it off. When Reigns can’t pull it off, it’s because of outside forces like Sheamus. And even when Sheamus is actually looking pretty good and surrounds himself with a group of like-minded villains…the story isn’t about “can Reigns overcome the villains to get to Sheamus?” It’s “can Reigns beat Sheamus?” Except he has, per last night’s opening and closing segments on RAW.

The WWE is so concerned with telling one story that they’re neglecting the others. They have a good staff of wrestlers on hand. You have amazing talents like Adrian Neville and Kevin Owens. The Miz might not be the best in-ring performer but he can douchebag it up like no one’s business. Name me a better smack talker in the WWE than Wade Barrett. Name me someone who is more scary and intimidating than Luke Harper. The crowd WANTS Antonio Cesaro to swing people, they want Sasha Banks to walk all over the Divas division. The only thing the WWE is doing correctly right now is the New Day and that’s because they’re just letting them run with the ball and do whatever they want. And they have a good crew. The production crew who put together the videos and montages are some of the best in the business, and if you toned down Kevin Dunn’s camera direction there are some amazing shots and moments that get put on screen.

But that’s not the story the WWE wants to tell. They want to talk about Roman Reigns. And if someone else looks to be getting over, they’re either 50/50’d into parity or take the pinfall loss in multi-man matches so, hey, Roman still looks good. Hell, Roman Reigns is a great rear end-kicker. Just let him punch people, look intimidating, and smug it up a bit for the camera. We don’t need “tater tots” or “magic beans.”

The GDT last night talked about “what the hell do we watch this show?” For me, it’s out of habit and it’s background noise while I do something else. But with all the pieces the WWE has, there HAS to be something good about to happen. The WWE has to luck into something good soon and I’m just dumb enough to hope that they’ll actually do something with it instead of fighting the tide the entire time. It’s statistically harder to be this bad for this long than to NOT accidentally do something amazing.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Chris James 2 posted:

I can't blame anyone for not staying for 3 hours

Live RAWs are closer to four hour shows due to them taping Superstars before hand + the dark main event if they have one.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

They're really redoing Roman's late-2014 push note for note and will wonder why the crowd rejects him again. Amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For all the poo poo that we give TNA (and that they deserved), it's because they have a person in charge who has no concept of how to run a wrestling promotion.

WWE has been around for over FIFTY years. There should be no way that they should be making these mistakes.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Sasha Banks should be given the Goldberg push, with slightly longer matches.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Having Rhyno turn up and not Gore someone is a criminal offence, hopefully this is rectified at TLC.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone have a link for the tater tots promo? WWE hasn't put it up on their channel yet for some strange reason

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hard Times
Austin 3:16
The Pipebomb
tater tots

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

kdrudy posted:

One of the really frustrating things is they don't protect him at all like this. They inadvertently sabotage him themselves by throwing him out there trying to read bad dialogue with his already poor delivery. Roman has a natural look but he isn't the natural talent they've stumbled into in the past and it seems no one is really helping him learn how to be better.

They seem to do this a lot and it makes no sense. I remember with Bobby Lashley he was this intimidating dude but his voice didn't match the physique and sounded too soft. So they made sure to have him talk as much as they could. So of course fans didn't take him seriously in the end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roman Reigns likes foodchat.

Magic beans and now tater tots.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
So I attended this RAW.

Roman was crazy wacky over - enough so that I had to look around a few times to make sure I wasn't hearing Roman chants getting piped in instead of actual crowd noise but no, Charleston was all about them some Roman Reigns. And then the end of the show happened and he started talking more and more and there was an audible ripple in the audience a couple times like masses of people suddenly remember "holy poo poo oh yeah this man is a garbage fire." But they really loved chanting tater tot/s, wow. I didn't think it would work as an insult because everyone...loves tater tots? The segment may have only been tater tot over, I don't know.

During every commercial break where a match wasn't in progress, the crowd was doing nothing but WOOing #flaircountry

The New Day, happily, is indeed massively over live. A lot of the kids don't quite get it though and they would look at the people cheering with a puzzled expression. They even corrected some of us by trying to tell us New Day Sucks when in fact they actually Rock/Sock. Lotta people buying New Day merch at the table (myself included). Did not pick up the light-up unicorn horn ($10) and I'm kicking myself for it.

Ziggler still hugely over but the crowd was firmly behind Owens even though he called us idiots for cheering him (he's right).

Everyone in the arena thought it was really funny when Zeb scooted away from both Swagger and Del Rio.

Overall it was a pretty thorough mix of smarks and kids and this being the South, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Still way too much Cena merch everywhere but hey.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Codependent Poster posted:

Roman Reigns likes foodchat.

Magic beans and now tater tots.

And succotash.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Are they really trying to do heel/heel with Charlotte and Paige? I know WWE's stance on women is that they all hate each other, but Becky is clearly a face in this angle where she doesn't even have a match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlLYvxYhJao

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

let's just watch King of the Hill next week

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Roman Reigns really is mid 90s Diesel like that person's sign said that one time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give him a manager, he can't talk to save his life. Holy poo poo he's bad.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

UpfrontSalmon posted:

So I attended this RAW.

Are the reports that the crowd was leaving before the final segment true?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Do we have any real idea what the original plan with Seth was had he not been injured? Lose at SS?

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

Are the reports that the crowd was leaving before the final segment true?

Not that I could tell. The crowd started leaving en masse IMMEDIATELY upon the end of the final segment without waiting to see if there was a dark main. There wasn't one unless you count Lilian telling us to gtfo

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Fun fact about wrestling events: everybody woos at every event

And if your city doesn't then they suck

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

Hace posted:

I figured on woos for chops and Flair but didn't expect them during every break non-stop

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hace posted:

this is true, was at a WWE house show in the UK this year that was like 50% kids and parents and it was all wooing all the time before the show and during intermission.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Flair isn't over, just his chant

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's a shame Owens/Ambrose isn't a ladder match as Steen has always been great at them and that would probably suit Ambrose's strengths and weaknesses well.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really hope that TLC is the end of the MexAmerica angle, because that means it will end with Mexico definitively beating the poo poo out of America. And that's pretty great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well I'd expects adr to win cuz he's sweating steroids and swagger is clean

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You cannot say this unless you love the current writing and booking.

If you do, however, then more power to you and I want some of your stash.

As high and full of confidence I felt in the product after going to Wrestlemania 30, I could never imagined how far it would have fallen into apathy since that time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

We talk a lot here about pushes, who's getting them, and how Cesaro should be getting them instead. Here's an interesting perspective on that from a man who knows a lot about pushes: Ryan "Briley "Dolph Ziggler's Little Brother" Pierce" Nemeth:

quote:

“I think that would be great if he did. It reminds me of when people, I did an AMA on Reddit, people say, ‘Does it bother you that they never give your brother the push and that creative is never behind him?’ I said, ‘You look at someone’s wrestling career with little peaks and valleys everywhere, right? The greater slope is what’s important.’ I said, ‘He’s been World Champion twice. He’s been paid sh*t loads of money to live his dream for the last ten years. I think he’s doing ok. I think the push and the creative and whatever you guys are talking about… that part of a wrestler’s life is like three hours out of the rest of the week. It’s like they’re doing video games or action figures or traveling the country to do things wherever.’ When somebody says, ‘Are you mad that he was not in his segment?’ Or, whatever. I’m like, ‘That’s like 1% of the whole thing. No, get real, grow up.’”

He seems to think that we, the fans, should not care about pushes, and that it is immature to do so.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like that they finally have Jon Moxley and Kevin Steen in a nationally-televised title feud and the best 26+ writers could come up with in the go-home show to hype the PPV match was "have the nonfat one interrupt by eating popcorn"

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

We talk a lot here about pushes, who's getting them, and how Cesaro should be getting them instead. Here's an interesting perspective on that from a man who knows a lot about pushes: Ryan "Briley "Dolph Ziggler's Little Brother" Pierce" Nemeth:

He seems to think that we, the fans, should not care about pushes, and that it is immature to do so.

He's wrong. Not liking the creative direction of the product isn't "childish". People wouldn't care so much about who is at the top if WWE wasn't so insistent that only certain guys matter. If they actually treated their roster like an ensemble cast or something then people wouldn't be too worried if their favorite guys weren't pushed.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I like that they finally have Jon Moxley and Kevin Steen in a nationally-televised title feud and the best 26+ writers could come up with in the go-home show to hype the PPV match was "have the nonfat one interrupt by eating popcorn"

The avatar/post combo is real.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dolph Ziggler's little brother shows up and posts threads on Reddit every two days begging for attention and I hate his entire family

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Regards to Ziggler's brother, I guess you just have to look at the bright side. It's like yeah I guess creatively I'm not enjoying my job as much as I could potentially, but at least I'm getting paid. Imagine bad creative direction, and getting bounced checks to boot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Getting invested in anything is dumb. Detached irony so thick even you forget what you truly believe is the only way to live.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

do you think sheamus peels his potatoes

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Chris James 2 posted:

The odds are pretty good that all they were able to come up with was "Ambrose watches TV from the back" and Ambrose came up with the popcorn himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My considered response to Dolph's brother is "imagine how much more merch Dolph would be selling (and thus more money he would be getting) if he was not constantly saddled with these dumb gimmicks and angles from creative and was allowed to be just a cool light-heavyweight wrestler."

My less considered response is "lol you made it like eight months in FCW what do you know about pushes you schmuck"

• Locked thread