Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
He could Chromecast it to an Android TV device if Amazon support is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody know how the Kodi new Apple TV port is going? I'm tempted to just buy another Amazon Fire TV and sideload it, but the Amazon Fire TV always stutters when I use Netflix.

i've been keeping a close eye on the development

MRMC is a fork of kodi with plugins, skins and other stuff removed so it can be sold on the app store, they submitted it for review yesterday so it could be approved in a matter of days .
Once MRMC has been approved on for the app store the source code will be released then the kodi team can work on making a full function sideloadable appletv version

I don't expect a full kodi release for at least a month but MRMC will be enough for most people. MRMC is going to cost 5.99 initially then the price will go up to 9.99

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Kodi keeps resetting my settings, it's twice now in 3 weeks. Changes the skin back to default, when I change it back it's lost all my tweaks like shortcuts on the home menu, backgrounds, etc. It's really annoying.

I have a UPS so it isn't corruption from power outages.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I've had that happen on one of my tablets a few times. It couldn't read my settings that were on external storage at startup and went back to defaults. I closed it and made sure that the storage was mounted properly, and it worked on the next launch.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
A friend of mine bought the Shield, hoping to finally have a "kodi and netflix in the same box" solution. He thought it was the solution until he learned it would not recognize his 8TB drive. Deal breaker for him.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cornjob posted:

A friend of mine bought the Shield, hoping to finally have a "kodi and netflix in the same box" solution. He thought it was the solution until he learned it would not recognize his 8TB drive. Deal breaker for him.

The shield can be a little weird sometimes with external drives. It can only read one partition so if for some reason there's a hidden partition on there it may see that instead or it may just not mount the drive. The shield should (after updates) support FAT32, NTFS, and (I think) exFAT external drives. He may just need to reformat the drive and make sure there's only one partition on it.

Alternatively it just doesn't support 8tb drives in which case he could try rooting it and mounting the drive with stickmount though not sure how easy it'd be to return the shield after it's rooted.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Cornjob posted:

He's either using a shingled drive like the Seagate which has low read/write performance and is meant for archiving, or he's using an Hitachi helium drive which costs $600. I doubt Android can recognize the partition size either way.

Put it in a wireless enclosure and access it that way, or build a NAS; direct-attaching an 8tb drive to watch media off it is a pretty niche use case, to be polite about it. Maybe it'll work on an intel-based NUC or something but that is overpowering the problem these days.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

As of right now it does not support the GPT partition format, which is required for drives bigger than 2TB.

Android 5.x is also weird about external storage access. Your USB drive will work, but apps will only have READ access to the drive and be unable to write to it. The SD card does not have this problem. There is a workaround, but the apps have to be aware of it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

Is your friend willing to buy more hardware? You can get a tiny, fanless, Bay Trail all-in-one for extremely cheap and that's powerful enough to fling media throughout the entire house as long as its plugged into ethernet.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is your friend willing to buy more hardware? You can get a tiny, fanless, Bay Trail all-in-one for extremely cheap and that's powerful enough to fling media throughout the entire house as long as its plugged into ethernet.

I agree, something like that and OpenMedia Vault or some other low profile linux based NAS system will allow him/her to access the drive over the network - which should be fine for media streaming and as a bonus they can run other crap on it, like an Emby server or something.

They also sell HDD enclosures that provide basic NAS functions like CIFS/APT sharing as well, which will also work for simple media streaming. Check Amazon for reviews.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Or have him check his router, some have USB ports that you can attach a drive to and share it over the network.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Can anyone help tell me what this is? http://streamax.tv/

I think it is a scam. Is it quasi-illegal? it says it streams tv channels, and sounds like one of those black boxes we used to have back in the 90s.

Or is it legit?

My parents just texted me today saying they are getting rid of cable and getting this thing, and all I could find were a few reddit posts about how there are some door to door salesmen going around selling these things, and that it might be a pyramid scheme.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bleh Maestro posted:

Can anyone help tell me what this is? http://streamax.tv/

I think it is a scam. Is it quasi-illegal? it says it streams tv channels, and sounds like one of those black boxes we used to have back in the 90s.

Or is it legit?

My parents just texted me today saying they are getting rid of cable and getting this thing, and all I could find were a few reddit posts about how there are some door to door salesmen going around selling these things, and that it might be a pyramid scheme.

It's literally a no-name chinese android box with a sticker on top and preloaded kodi w/ illegal add-ons being sold at a 700% markup.

Don't let your parents buy one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 8, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
That website is giving me a headache. I can't tell if it's trying to sell me an android box or push me into multi-level marketing. Either way, don't buy off-brand Android streaming boxes.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Ok, thanks. Seriously I was like mom what are you doing??

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

I think he should be okay once the Sheild gets the Marshmallow update.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's literally a no-name chinese android box with a sticker on top and preloaded kodi w/ illegal add-ons being sold at a 700% markup.

Don't let your parents buy one.

I thought this is one reason they switched names so that they could have some control over companies that do this.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bonzo posted:

I thought this is one reason they switched names so that they could have some control over companies that do this.

You can't really enforce copyrights in a country which doesn't agree with copyrights. They even stamp FCC logos on stuff just for the gently caress of it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

I walked by a mall kiosk the other day where a dude was selling those lame M8 chinese boxes with Kodi and the sports addons preloaded for $300 a pop....in suburban Canada. poo poo is really widespread now and they would need an expensive legal team to do anything about it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Gunslinger posted:

I walked by a mall kiosk the other day where a dude was selling those lame M8 chinese boxes with Kodi and the sports addons preloaded for $300 a pop....in suburban Canada. poo poo is really widespread now and they would need an expensive legal team to do anything about it.

http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

quote:

Legal Problems
Beyond the nonsensical nature of the software’s name, there is a secondary issue. Because “XBMC” was originally based on the name Xbox, the developers of the software (that’s us) have never had any sort of legal control over the use of its name, which has resulted in a whole slew of problems.

In the past few years, we have seen the mass confusion that resulted from this lack of control first hand. Users have been fooled into wasting money buying boxes running hacked and typically broken versions of XBMC. News sites and blogs have gotten caught in confusing language numerous times. Unrelated fan communities, often founded under the best of intentions, have found themselves under attack, simply because no guidelines existed to simplify the process of clearly distinguishing themselves from the XBMC Foundation. What’s more, the Foundation itself and all of its developers have always operated under a potential legal threat from other companies that did have a legal trademark in a similar name. And that legal threat has actually gotten more problematic in recent years.

Because all these problems have been getting more and more pronounced, the Foundation decided to review its options with the help of the legal team at the Software Freedom Law Center. In the end, it was decided renaming the software that we all love so much was the most realistic solution. We’ve done it twice before. We believe this time Kodi will be the name we can keep forever.

So I'm guessing when these streaming sites get shut down and Ma and Pa are out of luck? Kinda like what happened to all those people using IceFilms when MegaUpload got shut down.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

So I'm guessing when these streaming sites get shut down and Ma and Pa are out of luck? Kinda like what happened to all those people using IceFilms when MegaUpload got shut down

Yeah in theory but the demo unit I saw setup had like 20 different sources for films alone. They will last awhile even after takedowns and all that. I don't know what people see in those things personally. The addons frequently crash or hang, the sources are often low res or get taken down and I need my poo poo to Just Work for the missus.

I guess to a layman who doesn't understand torrents/usenet/whatever they seem pretty impressive and if it gives them a few years of use then its paid for itself.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
http://streamax.tv/videos/

quote:

What to do if Kodi wont open & kicks you back to the home screen

LOL

My god $400 for that piece of crap. Ugh. Makes me feel like I won the lottery with my $25 nexus player.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 8, 2015

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

For some reason, when I have "play next video" enabled, and a video ends, it just knocks me back to the "KODI" splash screen and re-scans my media instead. Anybody ever have this issue? Running on an AD-10 with OpenElec.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I recently formatted and reinstalled Win10 and upgraded from Kodi 14.x to Kodi 15.2.

When a video is playing, the OSD and video (I think the video, it's kinda hard to tell) is pushed off screen by maybe 20px.

This is particularly odd because on my Vizio TV plus AMD video card, I have to adjust the overscan settings in the driver, as well as adjust the screen size in Kodi to make sure the whole UI is on-screen. And that all works fine...until a video starts playing.

Anyone have any ideas?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Thermopyle posted:

I recently formatted and reinstalled Win10 and upgraded from Kodi 14.x to Kodi 15.2.

When a video is playing, the OSD and video (I think the video, it's kinda hard to tell) is pushed off screen by maybe 20px.

This is particularly odd because on my Vizio TV plus AMD video card, I have to adjust the overscan settings in the driver, as well as adjust the screen size in Kodi to make sure the whole UI is on-screen. And that all works fine...until a video starts playing.

Anyone have any ideas?

There's a video calibration option in settings, under System. You might need expert enabled to see it. As I recall, that adjusts video playback only, separate from the UI.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm not as negative about generic Android boxes as you guys are (I enjoy playing around with them) but these pre-loaded box sellers are out of control.

Also, the M8 is a kick rear end little box when you flash OpenELEC on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Prime posted:

There's a video calibration option in settings, under System. You might need expert enabled to see it. As I recall, that adjusts video playback only, separate from the UI.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I adjusted the screen size in Kodi. It seems to not do anything to video, only to the UI.

I used that just fine in Kodi 14.2....

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm not as negative about generic Android boxes as you guys are (I enjoy playing around with them) but these pre-loaded box sellers are out of control.

I got a kick out of that one story about the guy who was collecting money monthly pretending like he could cut off service if they didn't pay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to turn OFF support for the Xbox One controller? My controller seems twitchy and if I go from Steam to Kodi without turning off the controller, it'll send a signal and start seeking forward through the video at 32x when I look at it wrong.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to turn OFF support for the Xbox One controller? My controller seems twitchy and if I go from Steam to Kodi without turning off the controller, it'll send a signal and start seeking forward through the video at 32x when I look at it wrong.

Yep! :)

Go to Settings/System/Input Devices. Just deselect "Enable joystick and gamepad support". Should be easy peasy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
:woop:

Thanks

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I've been having some issues all of a sudden with buffering within Kodi (Genesis). It was working fine for several months but now whenever I load a stream, it just buffers for upwards of 10 minutes. If I play before it's done buffering, it stutters & buffers more after several minutes. I haven't changed anything with my Kodi setup.

Using 50/50 plan on Fios with a Nexus Player (wifi). Also tried a clean install of Kodi on my Nexus 6P and experienced similar results, which leads me to believe it could be something with my default wifi settings? Customizing the advancedsettings options, resetting router, changing wifi channel, etc don't seem to help. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 10, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Genesis is not exactly an official content distributor so its quite possible the problem is on that end of things, those streaming services are very hit and miss with sources and quality. Are there problems with any other streaming services or is it just that addon?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

The Gunslinger posted:

Genesis is not exactly an official content distributor so its quite possible the problem is on that end of things, those streaming services are very hit and miss with sources and quality. Are there problems with any other streaming services or is it just that addon?

Emby via Kodi also seems to buffer more than usual, whereas the native Emby app works fine (not a paid subscriber though so it's expired).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have you done a wifi survey with your router or Wifi analyzer to see if there is any overlap from other networks? Are sources of interference in your place?

Beyond that I'd suggest trying another device to rule out an issue with the Nexus Player.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, so I figured this out.

I have to play a video and while it's playing back out to the Kodi settings and do the Settings > System > Video calibration. Doing it while video is not playing doesn't help while the video is playing.

I also have to do this for various frame rate video files since I have the setting to adjust refresh rate to match video enabled.

In all the years I've been using Kodi I've never had to do this before, but now that I think of it, it makes sense and I don't know why I never had to do it before...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, so I figured this out.

I have to play a video and while it's playing back out to the Kodi settings and do the Settings > System > Video calibration. Doing it while video is not playing doesn't help while the video is playing.

I also have to do this for various frame rate video files since I have the setting to adjust refresh rate to match video enabled.

In all the years I've been using Kodi I've never had to do this before, but now that I think of it, it makes sense and I don't know why I never had to do it before...

I know that there is a setting somewhere in Kodi that is something like "change refresh rate to match video frame rate" or something like that. Has the default for this setting changed in newer versions, or have you changed it ? Might be related.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

I've been having some issues all of a sudden with buffering within Kodi (Genesis). It was working fine for several months but now whenever I load a stream, it just buffers for upwards of 10 minutes. If I play before it's done buffering, it stutters & buffers more after several minutes. I haven't changed anything with my Kodi setup.

Using 50/50 plan on Fios with a Nexus Player (wifi). Also tried a clean install of Kodi on my Nexus 6P and experienced similar results, which leads me to believe it could be something with my default wifi settings? Customizing the advancedsettings options, resetting router, changing wifi channel, etc don't seem to help. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

99% certain its simply an issue with the source(s) you're using. Genesis has gotten so popular that alot of the mainstay sources get absolutely flooded. I've developed a keen internal database of which ones to try and which to avoid.

Some highlights:

nah

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 10, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Buffering issues with Kodi are 99.99% because of your lovely add-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That is way too :filez: and rather than get asked to delete it you'll probably get probated or something dude, I would just nuke it and save yourself the hassle.