Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

All right then, a related question because I am a ball of privilege-aware neurosis; how annoying is it for me to eat out alone?

If it's busy you're the god damned worst, if it's slow I don't care if you just get a half salad and take up an entire 4 top by yourself.

As long as there are other open tables in their section servers don't usually give a poo poo, and the kitchen doesn't care at all about who sits where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

All right then, a related question because I am a ball of privilege-aware neurosis; how annoying is it for me to eat out alone?

I go out and eat alone frequently. I do this once every week or so at a restaurant I have never been to. I also have regulars who come in and eat one of my four tops pretty regularly. Don't feel bad about it. Make sure you tip accordingly, everything is fine. I have done this with ordering 1 cocktail and a glass of wine, to ordering a 200$ bottle. Any way you cut it, order what you want, tip correctly, and don't eat the section longer than is due.

Just so I don't seem insane, the reason I make an effort to eat alone is that it allows me to focus on the food. I have no distractions, it lets me see how the flow is, lets me see the wine list in its entirety and focus on the message as well as focusing on the service. Before I ever take friends to a place to eat, I eat there alone. Heck, I my best call party is a single dude who sometimes brings a friend or family member. He comes in for alone time and I make sure he gets it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mezzanon posted:

Are you sure you're not just tipping out the kitchen?

Which is also illegal, in most circumstances.

No tip pooling with employees who are not customer facing and providing direct service, ie cooks/dishwashers/back of house, nor managers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

How's your ticket avg? Ours is ~$28. 5th highest in company, and I raised prices through the FUCKIN ROOF foe next year. gently caress you, you're paying $23 for our goddamn local chicken, mothafuckas.

that better be a whole loving chicken for $23, or you're a dick.

a simple chicken entree over $20 is just a dick move. serve a smaller portion, or do whatever you need - but chicken should both be on restaurant menus, and be the affordable option.

if your restaurant is a ~$25-35 entree price place, throw a dumb roast chicken thing on the menu for $13-16 for the poors, who would happily eat some well cooked chicken. Also strongly support the $10-13 'gourmet burger'. you still get to make money and deliver on your vision, and the customer gets food for not insane money.

again, if you think you need to charge 23 dollars, readjust your portion size or whatever. serve a roasted leg quarter with some vegetables for $16. food cost has gotta be around $3-5 for that, and you hit your margins alright.

:mad:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It's late but basically gently caress the last page or so. Eat how you want where you want, charge what you want if you can, and gently caress off cheffy chef.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Like seriously where the hell do you get a chicken entree for $13? loving kidding me? Go back to your cubicle and open floor kitchen dude.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

This guy, the ginger nerdy straight version of three olives, going on vacation for 3 months to Prague and Fuckoffistan, is mad at the industry thread for charging $13 for a chicken dinner.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

a simple chicken entree over $20 is just a dick move. serve a smaller portion, or do whatever you need - but chicken should both be on restaurant menus, and be the affordable option.

if your restaurant is a ~$25-35 entree price place, throw a dumb roast chicken thing on the menu for $13-16 for the poors, who would happily eat some well cooked chicken. Also strongly support the $10-13 'gourmet burger'. you still get to make money and deliver on your vision, and the customer gets food for not insane money.

again, if you think you need to charge 23 dollars, readjust your portion size or whatever. serve a roasted leg quarter with some vegetables for $16. food cost has gotta be around $3-5 for that, and you hit your margins alright.

I disagree. There doesn't need to be an affordable option. If your price range is 20-35 dollars per plate at your restaurant that's the range. if you don't want to spend 20+ dollars don't go there. Simple as that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Maestro posted:

the ginger nerdy straight version of three olives

:laffo:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

Yeah, no. My menu, my prices. Not to mention I'm paying $6/lb for that chicken, and the dish is half a chicken. It's worth $23, you don't want it, then get a burg, reuben, or some other sandwich. You don't have to eat at my restaurant, but if you want quality dishes, you're going to pay for it.

Also, no 'poors', as you put it, would be staying at our hotel when room rates are $140+ a night.

Food cost on the chicken is right at 8 dollars with sides, but please continue to tell me how to run things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
As someone who constantly stays at nice hotels for work, a $25 chicken dish would cause me to chuckle a little as I wait for my cab to go literally anywhere else. The best thing about uber/lyft is that it frees me from the tyranny of hotel restaurants.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Context is everything. I'd gladly pay 30+ to eat another Hammersly's Chicken, but they closed and it is gone to the ether.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

As someone who constantly stays at nice hotels for work, a $25 chicken dish would cause me to chuckle a little as I wait for my cab to go literally anywhere else. The best thing about uber/lyft is that it frees me from the tyranny of hotel restaurants.

Sure, but I'm using the exact same chicken that the hottest restaurant in town is using, and they charge 29 just for the breast and carolina gold rice. I've got the better dish, imo, I just don't have a pretentious 30 seat place where everyone wears denim.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Chicken is the basic bitch of meats and I cannot think of any preparation that makes it ever worth that much as a single serving and pricing it that high makes me kinda suspicious of other stuff. I do think there is a place for more simple and lower priced entrées, especially for places like hotels where you have a somewhat captive audience. I mostly travel alone but when I don't nicer places are a really hard sell to a lot of my coworkers unless there is something familiar and "reasonable" on the menu.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Regardless of anything else I think the idea of putting an entree that's half the price of everything else on the menu is pretty dumb.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Place I'm at now we do $24 for a half chicken entree, made with Mary's Chicken.

Last place I was a chef at we did $24 for an 8oz Jidori chicken breast entree. Our flagship steak was a 16oz bone in ribeye for $45.

Both these places are in San Luis Obispo, California.

Bunnielab: what do you usually pay for dinner for one when you go out, and what do you get, a salad/app and an entree, just an entree? And what country/area is it in?

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

We're using Dewberry Hills Farms chicken. It's goddamn good chicken.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If I'm looking at a menu and everything but one item is in some elevated price range, whether that's $28-$38 or $45-$55, I'm not going to look at that one item and think "oh, phew, something affordable." The first thing I'm going to think is "well that can't be very good." Then, if I see someone else ordering it, let alone someone I'm with, I'd be wondering why they didn't just go to Ruby Tuesday's.

(disclaimer: I like Ruby Tuesday's for what it is. Before we moved away my kid brother and I would hop over for late dinners. Not someplace I'd go on a date or treat my mother to, though, if that helps clarify my viewpoint.)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

Bunnielab: what do you usually pay for dinner for one when you go out, and what do you get, a salad/app and an entree, just an entree? And what country/area is it in?

I live in a burb of DC and travel to most major and secondary market cities pretty frequently.

I almost always get an app and entree, usually with a drink or two. What I pay is all over the map but usually around the $40 per entree level is where I begin to suspect that I am paying more for the owner's rent then I am for an increase in food quality. However, part of my job is cost estimating and working with sales to figure out how to price stuff to make it sellable so I am pretty aware of the cost/overhead/profit margin/price relationship, which I know colors my opinion of stuff.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Somewhat in correllation to "how long can I sit": When a table is done eating, plates cleared, I offer dessert and this is when I usually ask "Would you like me to bring your check?". Most of the time this goes well, but occasionally people react like I just hit a 60-second timer on them being out the door or the bomb goes off. I try to read my tables, if they look like they're relaxed and very engaged with each other I won't offer the check; unfortunately this doesn't always work, because people are dumb and will ignore me and suddenly irritated that I didn't have a check on the table while their last bite of food was still making its way down their esophagus.

How do you all handle this? Actually, I'd love to hear any tips and tricks other servers have for upselling and making people more relaxed. I'm good at my job, but I see no point in doing anything that I'm not constantly improving on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When everything has been cleared I ask "anything else?" And most of the time they ask me for the check at that point. Of course I work in a diner so people's attitudes are different than someplace with tablecloths.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

When lunch is underway I usually tuck the check on a corner of the table after entrees with something along the lines of "I hope you're in no hurry to get back to work, but just in case..."

At all times I try to have as many entree (or later) checks on my person as I can so if someone asks I have it ready for them. If they respond well to "Can I pique an interest in any coffees, cordials, or desserts to round things out this <time of day>?" I just print out a new one after ringing those in.

Then there's basic stuff like when they order a rum and coke, asking them if they have a rum preference, that kind of thing, of course too.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Trebuchet King posted:

If I'm looking at a menu and everything but one item is in some elevated price range, whether that's $28-$38 or $45-$55, I'm not going to look at that one item and think "oh, phew, something affordable." The first thing I'm going to think is "well that can't be very good." Then, if I see someone else ordering it, let alone someone I'm with, I'd be wondering why they didn't just go to Ruby Tuesday's.

I do kind of the opposite. If I see an entree priced significantly higher than everything else, I just assume that it's only there to make everything else look more reasonable and I start wondering how many racks of lamb or whatever they sell a night, how often the cooks actually make it and how long the half-cooked barley risotto that goes with it has been sitting in the back of the reach-in then I realize that I've been overthinking it and just order whatever I feel like.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Rockzilla posted:

I do kind of the opposite. If I see an entree priced significantly higher than everything else, I just assume that it's only there to make everything else look more reasonable and I start wondering how many racks of lamb or whatever they sell a night, how often the cooks actually make it and how long the half-cooked barley risotto that goes with it has been sitting in the back of the reach-in then I realize that I've been overthinking it and just order whatever I feel like.

Yeah, that's kind of the other end of the same thing. When there's one thing priced differently, whether lower or higher, it looks funny and people notice. What they think is going to be different based on the lower/higher side of things, but at the end of the day it just reinforces the need to have everything more or less in alignment.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The items on our menu that are much higher are the ones with the significantly higher base cost: Dover Sole, Bay Scallops, etc. Our seafood guy just quoted us at 45$ a pound on Bays. We could sell them for double our cost now and still sell out every week.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

whee, survived the Dept. of Health's bureaucracy and got my license. I didn't think something could be more annoying than the DMV when it came to the bureaucratic aspect of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Trebuchet King posted:

whee, survived the Dept. of Health's bureaucracy and got my license. I didn't think something could be more annoying than the DMV when it came to the bureaucratic aspect of it.

Tell me more :allears:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, no. My menu, my prices. Not to mention I'm paying $6/lb for that chicken, and the dish is half a chicken. It's worth $23, you don't want it, then get a burg, reuben, or some other sandwich. You don't have to eat at my restaurant, but if you want quality dishes, you're going to pay for it.

Also, no 'poors', as you put it, would be staying at our hotel when room rates are $140+ a night.

alright fair enough, I forgot you worked in a hotel kitchen.

Merrill
Dec 30, 2008

Challenged by gravity
Fun Shoe

Shabadu posted:

Context is everything. I'd gladly pay 30+ to eat another Hammersly's Chicken, but they closed and it is gone to the ether.

This chicken?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Yes, that transcendent roast chicken. My home oven is a pile of trash that can't get to correct temps so all of my attempts at it have failed.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/one-dish-at-the-nomad/?_r=0

Not this one, obvi, but at my restaurant we made a killer roast chicken that was our "safe" dish. Beer brined, roasted at 300 til fully cooked, then broken down. To order, it'd go into a 500 degree convection with a ladle of rich stock, some hunks of butter, and rosemary. Ten minutes later exactly, the skin is deep brown and crisp, the meat is buttery/herby/moist, and then we'd typically serve it with like local baby kale/mustard/collards and benton's bacon, some awesome mash, and garlicky sauce. Simple, straightforward, but definitely worth the low-mid $20s we charged for it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Shabadu posted:

The items on our menu that are much higher are the ones with the significantly higher base cost: Dover Sole, Bay Scallops, etc. Our seafood guy just quoted us at 45$ a pound on Bays. We could sell them for double our cost now and still sell out every week.

Bay scallops like those tiny, lovely scallops that are the scallop version of bay shrimp? I was paying mid 20s for u10 dry pack diver scallops, are you in a seafood desert?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Bay Scallops are the tiny incredibly sweet and tender ones caught earlier that day/yesterday off Nantucket. They're a delicacy in New England and supply is so low even though the commercial season started Nov 1.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
On the left coast I've only seen them sold iqf for seafood filler in stuff like cioppino or chopped up in mediocre sushi places for scallop brulee on top of rolls

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pile of brown posted:

On the left coast I've only seen them sold iqf for seafood filler in stuff like cioppino or chopped up in mediocre sushi places for scallop brulee on top of rolls

Pretty much this

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Coming off the Peconic bay this time of year they're the tits. YMMV.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I hate customers so much, gently caress the holiday season, kill everyone

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I hate customers so much, gently caress the holiday season, kill everyone

you sound like you get down

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Food cost on the chicken is right at 8 dollars with sides, but please continue to tell me how to run things.

I've had CDC's chicken, I wouldn't blink at this cost. Also, when I take the Waifu out to dinner. I want to eat w/o the Poors. She hates crowds and we both enjoy fine dining. Thank you CDC for helping make a better place in the world for people to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Bourgeoisie trap sprung.

• Locked thread