Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Another cool step up from Kallax is the Ivar system. You can make it whatever size you want and it rounds corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainRightful posted:

If you want to step up from Kallax to furniture that's actually made out of real wood, try the new Nornas. You can even stain or paint it whatever color you'd like.

Unrelated, my girlfriend found this:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/6/9851954/board-game-flowchart

It's not great, but it's surprisingly not completely worthless either. It gets better as you scroll down. At least a third of the chart should be replaced with Codenames, though.
"Hardest Rules Ever" -> "Axis and Allies" :shepface:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Single Tight Female posted:

Same size, so I can stack them and watch everything crumble under the weight of Vlaada-goodness. Leeds store has them in stock from tomorrow too. Cheers.

If the construction is the same as the old shelf, you can leave out one of the vertical splines on the top level and be fine.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

sector_corrector posted:

You're a loving moron.

Salty nerd detected.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gutter Owl posted:

If the construction is the same as the old shelf, you can leave out one of the vertical splines on the top level and be fine.

From glancing over the assembly instructions, it is.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Old timers know that the Expedit is the one true board game shelf. All these
millennials with their Kallax don't know that the Swedes are selling them an inferior product.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

"Hardest Rules Ever" -> "Axis and Allies" :shepface:

On a flowchart with Arkham loving Horror no less

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CaptainRightful posted:

It's not great, but it's surprisingly not completely worthless either. It gets better as you scroll down. At least a third of the chart should be replaced with Codenames, though.

BSG, Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror classified under "less than 2 hours," 0/10

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Old timers know that the Expedit is the one true board game shelf. All these
millennials with their Kallax don't know that the Swedes are selling them an inferior product.

I wish they just raised the price on the Expedit instead of canning it :(

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

BSG, Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror classified under "less than 2 hours," 0/10

That's accurate for Cosmic Encounter. I used to play a lot of it and it usually lands in the 1-1.5 hour range. The playtime has a lot of variance but I think the longest game I ever played ran for almost exactly two hours.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's accurate for Cosmic Encounter. I used to play a lot of it and it usually lands in the 1-1.5 hour range. The playtime has a lot of variance but I think the longest game I ever played ran for almost exactly two hours.

Fair enough, I've only played CE 2 or 3 times.

2 hours is nowhere near accurate for Arkham Horror and BSG.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Race for the Galaxy can be condensed down into a single deck of cards, so that might be good if you are looking for a bit of meat on you backpacking trek.

How do you shrink Race down to 52 cards, without throwing out half the deck?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zveroboy posted:

Well my girlfriend and I really enjoy Dominion!

For £16 it's worth a punt, my girlfriend will try any game at least once.

I'll be bored of castles by the new year because I'm fairly sure she's getting me Castles of Mad King Ludwig for Christmas...

It's gone as cheap as $20 on amazon sales in the US, so £16 sounds like a good price for a punched but unplayed copy.
I bought it new, and had a punched but unplayed copy for 3 weeks or so, because the rulebook looked daunting so we chickened out and just played X-Wing instead a few times :shobon:

djfooboo posted:

I wish they just raised the price on the Expedit instead of canning it :(

The difference is that the Kallax is only available in veneered particleboard compared to the Expedit's painted pine construction, right?

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

StashAugustine posted:

On a flowchart with Arkham loving Horror no less

Arkham Horror's rules aren't hard, the rulebook is just incomplete and lacking copy-editing. As all FFG rulebooks are.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

BSG an experienced group that doesn't get too bogged down in infighting can get through in maybe 2.5 hours, assuming you're playing to Kobol. I'd never recommend it as a <2 hour game and wouldn't agree to play it if anyone needed to leave in the next 3.5 hours.

As for Arkham Horror... ahahahahahahahaha.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

It's gone as cheap as $20 on amazon sales in the US, so £16 sounds like a good price for a punched but unplayed copy.
I bought it new, and had a punched but unplayed copy for 3 weeks or so, because the rulebook looked daunting so we chickened out and just played X-Wing instead a few times :shobon:

The difference is that the Kallax is only available in veneered particleboard compared to the Expedit's painted pine construction, right?

Correct. It's basically the same piece, at the same price, just with poorer materials.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Managed to end a game of AH in about 5 minutes. It took two turns to meet the end victory condition due to a combination of luck and characters.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I went with BESTA from Ikea. Works great. Particularly if you have to move your shelves, you can just reset them to whatever you need. I didn't like the Kallax, the cube is too small to be very flexible.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So I was gonna post about this yesterday but fell asleep, and now BGGNews scooped me.

Does anyone have any opinions on the abstract Push Fight? Back in 2012 Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade Report wrote an article praising this weird little novelty Jerry Holkins got from a jiu jitsu instructor in Missouri. And now Penny Arcade has bought the publishing rights to the game, and they're selling a slick wood edition through their store. And uh, my wallet is trying to crawl out of my purse again. Anyone wanna warn me away?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Besides it being Penny Arcade, you mean?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Did anyone comment on the next part of the SU&SD's top 50 games?

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-50-games-ever-2015-40-31/

A Few Acres Of Snow is on there with no mention of the degenerate broken strategy of "thin your deck"

Paul: I think, of all the games out there that feature deckbuilding, that gradual collection of cards that represent growing powers and resources and abilities, A Few Acres of Snow does it best.

:cawg:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

taser rates posted:

Besides it being Penny Arcade, you mean?

Yeah. I'm not enthused about giving them money, but I don't dread it either. Whatever you wanna say about Mike "Dickwolves" Krahulik and friends, they run a slick corporate empire. So I'm reasonably confident I'll get a nice manufactured good delivered in a timely manner. And the game itself isn't designed by PA, Cryptozoic, or Lone Shark, which significantly raises the odds of being maybe-not-poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't think I'd rate enough games highly enough to come up with a top 50...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do you shrink Race down to 52 cards, without throwing out half the deck?

A "deck of cards" doesn't have to contain exactly 52 cards, I just meant that you could take all of the Race for the Galaxy cards and throw an elastic around them, it's not as small as a standard deck of cards but still easily small enough to take in a backpack camping.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Good god, the penny arcade deckbuilder was one of the worst games I've ever played...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lorini posted:

I went with BESTA from Ikea. Works great. Particularly if you have to move your shelves, you can just reset them to whatever you need. I didn't like the Kallax, the cube is too small to be very flexible.

Flexibility lies in gaining inches hanging out the back slightly and leaving a vertical support or two out on an upper shelf. You can even get drawers for the drat thing to hide small games. If you arrange vertically, the Kallax is hard to beat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BSG an experienced group that doesn't get too bogged down in infighting can get through in maybe 2.5 hours, assuming you're playing to Kobol. I'd never recommend it as a <2 hour game and wouldn't agree to play it if anyone needed to leave in the next 3.5 hours.

As for Arkham Horror... ahahahahahahahaha.

If you're sufficiently organised and don't um and ah over decisions too much it's entirely possible to play games of Arkham Horror which have take less than 90 minutes including unpacking and clearing up. I've done it.

More than 2 players -> Cribbage :raise:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're sufficiently organised and don't um and ah over decisions too much it's entirely possible to play games of Arkham Horror which have take less than 90 minutes including unpacking and clearing up. I've done it.

I've done it once when we accidentally stumbled into a very early close-all-the-gates win condition because of some particularly lucky card draws. I'd be surprised if it could be done consistently, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I've done it once when we accidentally stumbled into a very early close-all-the-gates win condition because of some particularly lucky card draws. I'd be surprised if it could be done consistently, though.

It can be, my housemate who was obsessed by it decided we should play through all the Ancient Ones in alphabetical order and I think only one game lasted more than 2 hours.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tekopo posted:

Man I'm never gonna be deceived by SU&SD reviews again. The one for Pandemic Legacy was legit but christ is Mafia de Cuba a dumpster fire of a game. Even disregarding the broken strategy it fails: it asks people to first of all not pay attention to the game in order for it to work and then it has one player be the center of attention while other people barely have any say in the game at all. I got distracted by all of the talk of 'sexy' components and should have done my research. The earlier I get rid of it the better. Too much loving downtime for a party game.

I went to a 4 day boardgaming trip to the seaside, it was awesome. Played Space Alert (4 games, we won 1!), Terra Mystica, two games of Through the Ages, Abyss (mediocre), Yomi, Star Wars Armada, Hyperborea (it was alright but the downtime killed my interest in the end, I was doing a minute long terms followed by 20 minutes due to the insane combos you can do in that game), Nippon (an okay Euro, nothing about the theme or mechanisms really inspired me), Dungeon Petz, Hanabi, Pairs, Falling, Raptor (might be good, I was too tired to play properly), Pictomania (two games), Mafia de Cuba, Leader 1: Hell of the North (still the best cycling game I've ever played), The Legend of Mille Miglia (an alright racing game, it might work better as part of a campaign than a one shot though), Codenames.

Pretty good weekend, I probably forgot loads of stuff though.

I read this post a while back and finally watched the video. I love games like this. Do you know why? Because with 10 poker chips, 15 coins, and a box I can make my own copy; and honestly it wouldn't be that different from the $25 MSRP or $16 CSI priced copy.

It may be trash, but I can try it out and see for myself for free (as I have poker chips and coins handy).

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Scyther posted:

Did anyone comment on the next part of the SU&SD's top 50 games?

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-50-games-ever-2015-40-31/

A Few Acres Of Snow is on there with no mention of the degenerate broken strategy of "thin your deck"

Paul: I think, of all the games out there that feature deckbuilding, that gradual collection of cards that represent growing powers and resources and abilities, A Few Acres of Snow does it best.

:cawg:

Not me on the Few Acres of Snow, but I waded in there to trash some Dead of Winter and Machi Koro (neither of which are on their list... yet).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played another game of Dungeon Lords last night, drat I really like that game despite me essentially blundering around without much strategy. I want to pick up Dungeon Petz too, but I'm worried that an anniversary edition for that's going to be announced soon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Not me on the Few Acres of Snow, but I waded in there to trash some Dead of Winter and Machi Koro (neither of which are on their list... yet).

Quinns

"I've written lots about this, and can't be bothered writing any more!

*runs away, farting sparkles*"

Where can I find these writings?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Toshimo posted:

Why the gently caress would you want your deck builder to be foiled?

It looks good. It's subtle, but still adds a nice touch to a collector's edition. It's foil the way Wizards does it with Magic, where the effect is moderated based on what it's on/around.

Also, the art and frames were redesigned from the first edition and it's (thus far) the only way to get the first two sets on the art reprint:

Some people want little metal trains or premium pieces in their games. I think more collectors editions should do things like this with the base game components (foiling cards, alternate art, using metal or sculpted material for resources, alternate game board design, etc), instead of just having a base game with a little collectable statue or figurine or something.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Quinns

"I've written lots about this, and can't be bothered writing any more!

*runs away, farting sparkles*"

Where can I find these writings?

While looking for them

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sloober posted:

Managed to end a game of AH in about 5 minutes. It took two turns to meet the end victory condition due to a combination of luck and characters.

Did you seal a gate every turn, or find and use the Wake The Ancient One magic book and bopped it in the nose?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

While looking for them

There are assertions that between the 2nd edition rules and Wallace's own errata the game is greatly improved. That said, the damage is done and many people wouldn't touch the game with a 10' pole.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Did you seal a gate every turn, or find and use the Wake The Ancient One magic book and bopped it in the nose?

Seal a gate. Got lucky with about everything, but it was very anticlimactic.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

CaptainRightful posted:

If you want to step up from Kallax to furniture that's actually made out of real wood, try the new Nornas. You can even stain or paint it whatever color you'd like.

That chart is like a decade old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Want a healthy dose of Fremdschämen?

Pandemic Legacy: Inside the Box