Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

I do like guns, but considering that I happen to live in a country where they are really illegal, obviously they aren't terribly important to me.

Wait. Wait wait wait. You're not even an American, you live in a country where guns are illegal and American mass shootings don't happen, and you're telling Americans we need to keep guns legal and rollback the NFA? Why, why do you even care if it won't benefit you in the slightest. Are you planning to...move to America and build an arsenal of sweet sweet guns? Is your archenemy American and you're hoping he's watching a movie in the next Aurora theater shooting?

Kilroy posted:

I don't think it would have stopped Robert Dear from attacking a Planned Parenthood and killing some people, for example, although it may have stopped him from using a gun to do it.

Right what are the typical body-counts for mass stabbings or mass um uh crossbowings versus mass shootings again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm an American citizen. I vote in American elections. I will move back to America "eventually".

VitalSigns posted:

Right what are the typical body-counts for mass stabbings or mass um uh crossbowings versus mass shootings again?
Here's one: Akihabara massacre. He had more success than Robert Dear.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They weren't used in crimes prior to the registry closing, either. Prior to 1986 if you could afford an AR you could afford an M-16. Hence there still being 250,000 legal machineguns left in circulation.

But yes, apparently the low bar of requiring people to file a form with the ATF and pay a small fee for a tax stamp has been enough to make them nonexistent in crime. Probably because it was easier, cheaper, and more practical to get $150 hi-points, $20 knives, etc. and the only ones willing to make the effort were people who actually had an interest in guns.

The problem with using such legislation in the US currently is that it was misused in this case to create a de-facto gun ban. The machinegun registry was closed during the 1980's gun control hysteria despite them being entirely non-existent in crime.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's always funny to me to hear the explanation that automatics aren't used in crimes because they're not useful in crimes, and not because of silly regulations. The breaches in logic and basic sense compound on themselves. First, I can think of many situations where having fully automatic fire might be useful, such as major robberies, mass shootings, terrorist attacks, gang killings, etc. Yet they're not generally used in this country. Second, most automatics have a select-fire option, meaning they can be used as standard semi-automatic guns. Third, I am told that it is vital that gun owners need to have multiple kinds of firearms so they can have self-defense options; handguns for personal street defense, rifles in case their family are being attacked by wolves 200 yards away, shotguns in case they need to hole up in their house behind a mattress on suspicion of boogeyman or boogeymen. Yet apparently violent criminals in the process of committing a crime, at approximately one million times the chance of being shot or needing to use their gun during this period than people sitting in their homes for the same amount of time, do not want or need options. Fourth, that nearly all violent criminals, these paragons of reason and virtue, apparently universally recognize this. You'd think there'd be at least one or two every year who don't know about guns beyond what they learned in action movies. Or perhaps they do exist but in their ignorance of guns they bought an automatic by mistake and began fading out like in Back to the Future the moment they try to commit a crime with it, I don't know. What I think we can all agree on is that gun regulations do nothing no matter if I have to contort myself to the extent that I look like the pipes screensaver from Windows 95

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Boogaley Moo posted:

It's easy to generalize hunters, however there are rural areas in the US where people either hunt or srarve.
Hunting for sport is stupid and barbaric, but that's not a hill worth dying on. And hunting for food is a rare but genuine reason for giving hunting permits. Home defense (especially with handguns) is the fairy tale.

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a huge red herring that gets brought up all the time. No realistic gun control plan involves going and trying to get them all back, and I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting it.
Well the government would need to try and get some of them back. It's pointless to ban them and leave hundreds of millions of guns out there.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Warbadger posted:

But yes, apparently the low bar of requiring people to file a form with the ATF and pay a small fee for a tax stamp has been enough to make them nonexistent in crime.

Plus spending $10,000+ because of that de facto ban you're weeping about.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Warbadger posted:

They weren't used in crimes prior to the registry closing, either.
Can you show this?

Warbadger posted:

The problem with using such legislation in the US currently is that it was misused in this case to create a de-facto gun ban. The machinegun registry was closed during the 1980's gun control hysteria despite them being entirely non-existent in crime.
:agreed:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boogaley Moo posted:

It's easy to generalize hunters, however there are rural areas in the US where people either hunt or srarve.

Yeah, rural America is seriously underweight and on the cusp of starvation if it was prevented from primate hunter-gathering.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Tezzor posted:

Yeah, rural America is seriously underweight and on the cusp of starvation if it was prevented from primate hunter-gathering.

Please stop being mean to Alaska.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volcott posted:

Please stop being mean to Alaska.

TBF it might not be applicable to compare US northwestern territory Alaska with a population density of 1 to the rest of mainland US.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Please stop being mean to... North Dakota?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If you shoot a gun in North Dakota whats to stop the bullet from traveling right out of the state.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Can you show this?

:agreed:

The whole "machineguns used in two crimes" thing is in reference to NFA registered machineguns dating back to the NFA's creation in 1934. The registry was closed for machineguns in 1986, so we're talking 1 case in 52 years during which machineguns were accessible for a $200 fee and a few weeks wait - with hundreds of thousands of them purchased.

The prices shot through the roof after the 1986 registry closure due to the sudden limit to availability.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kilroy posted:

I'm an American citizen. I vote in American elections. I will move back to America "eventually".

Oh okay that makes sense

Kilroy posted:

Here's one: Akihabara massacre. He had more success than Robert Dear.

Right okay so your big example one guy killed four people ie, the bare minimum of deaths a shooting has to reach for some people (like the pro-gun side in this thread) to even let it qualify as a mass shooting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Right okay so your big example one guy killed four people ie, the bare minimum of deaths a shooting has to reach for some people (like the pro-gun side in this thread) to even let it qualify as a mass shooting.

In the Kunming stabbing 8 stabbers killed 29 people (not including the 4 stabbers who died) for a kill count of 3.6 per stabber. That's really pretty pathetic especially when Virginia Tech dude could get 32 all by himself.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volcott posted:

Please stop being mean to... North Dakota?

According to this, 9.7

Even Wyoming that leads ahead of Alaska has 5.8 per sq mile.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Warbadger posted:

The whole "machineguns used in two crimes" thing is in reference to NFA registered machineguns dating back to the NFA's creation in 1934. The registry was closed for machineguns in 1986, so we're talking 1 case in 52 years during which machineguns were accessible for a $200 fee and a few weeks wait - with hundreds of thousands of them purchased.

The prices shot through the roof after the 1986 registry closure due to the sudden limit to availability.

Registration and a huge fine if the guns were transferred without paying the tax, which in 1934 was greater than the cost of the gun itself, worked. Yes, prohibitive taxes and gun registration keep guns out of the hands of criminals. And no government thugs went door to door confiscating the registered guns either!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

And no government thugs went door to door confiscating the registered guns either!

Taqqiyah. They're just biding their time until all guns are registered, then bam Jade Helm but for real

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I hate to quote myself but the 'deadly zip gun' debate might have drowned out something I would legit like to discuss:

archangelwar posted:

For something actually germane:

I have been reading some literature on the NICS background checks and some various state laws. Under the existing system, it appears that at the federal level, the FBI can place a hold to delay a purchase without initial due process, and many states have a "subversive group" clause which does not seem that different from the idea of the no fly list, as well as denial at judicial discretion without conviction or existing indictment. It seems that the government position on "due process" and gun purchases is that they are allowed to delay your purchase as long as you have a route to appeal without it being a rights violation.

Is this accurate, or are there other checks and oversights of the various open ended catch-all capabilities that exist?

Comedy option: If it passed, potential terrorists could use periodic firearm purchases to determine the point at which they have landed on the government's radar.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Tezzor posted:

According to thinkprogress, childhood hunger is concentrated in rural America.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/10/2132331/report-child-hunger-is-concentrated-in-rural-america/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Something something "We won't accept no gubamint handouts"

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Warbadger posted:

One of those cases was a police officer who was exempt from NFA law, too. :V
(used a mac-10 to kill an informant)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If only gun owners openly claiming to be arming up for armed insurrection were exempt from the NFA.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tezzor posted:

It's always funny to me to hear the explanation that automatics aren't used in crimes because they're not useful in crimes, and not because of silly regulations.

Because someone bent on robbing a 7-11 isn't going to spend money on a thousand dollar+ gun (even before the registry closing drove the price up and without the tax stamp) when a two hundred dollar one does the job just fine.
When gangster paradise was a thing in the 20's and 30's, machine guns weren't even popular then and a fairly new tech with civilians. They weren't an issue till gangsters started using them and with the repeal of prohibition and the law cracking down and catching the robbers and gangsters the whole machine gun thing dried up.
Basically a law came along to regulate something unpopular that was used during a period when crime was rampant. Sawed off shotguns and SBRs were regulated with the law too, yet their use in crime persisted.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Arglebargle III posted:

Meanwhile, in reality, gun deaths are neck-and-neck with traffic fatalities this year.

And your point is? Gun deaths are also just over 50% of what they were in 1993 and trending downward like all violent crime rates have been for a decade. gently caress off with the scare quotes, they won't convince anyone who can read the CDC and FBI numbers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tezzor posted:

Hey guys did you ever notice that the most regulated and therefore most expensive and rarest type of firearm is used in very few crimes? What a weird coincidence. Welp the law works time to repeal it

Nobody has seriously argued to repeal the NFA, last I checked. I personally would argue that we should reopen the registry, as clearly these weapons are not a threat to anyone, but that will never fly given that the gun control proponents' idea of compromise has met with the Tea Party at 'You give me everything I want and suck my dick while you're down there.'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

Nobody has seriously argued to repeal the NFA, last I checked. I personally would argue that we should reopen the registry, as clearly these weapons are not a threat to anyone, but that will never fly given that the gun control proponents' idea of compromise has met with the Tea Party at 'You give me everything I want and suck my dick while you're down there.'

lol, as opposed to gun advocates who have been ever so accommodating with their stance of "no gun control of any form for any reason". :jerkbag:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

And your point is? Gun deaths are also just over 50% of what they were in 1993 and trending downward like all violent crime rates have been for a decade. gently caress off with the scare quotes, they won't convince anyone who can read the CDC and FBI numbers.

Gun deaths are going down! (Still 3 to 45 times that of the civilized world.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a large number, large enough that common rhetoric like "you're more likely to die in a car crash" no longer has the teeth that it once did. I don't understand the appeal to past deaths. Would you suggest that for example that traffic safety policy is not worth discussion because, in the past, traffic safety was worse than it is now? Of course not. Try again?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Automatic weapons are clearly not a threat to anyone. We can see this from the fact that while they are rare, highly expensive and heavily regulated they are not currently killing people. We should remove this state of affairs because I do not want to accept restrictions on my selection of toys.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a large number, large enough that common rhetoric like "you're more likely to die in a car crash" no longer has the teeth that it once did. I don't understand the appeal to past deaths. Would you suggest that for example that traffic safety policy is not worth discussion because, in the past, traffic safety was worse than it is now? Of course not. Try again?

I would make an argument that some of the newer safety requirements in automobiles are causing more problems than they fix, weight of vehicles (even small ones) keeps going up as they keep jamming more airbags in, Visibility keeps going down because they have to make the A pillars larger for more structural rigidity, People are literally removing headrests because the new angles required make it uncomfortable for many to actually drive for more than 5 minutes at a time,

It's not quite as clear cut as you make it out to be, IMHO.

The problem with guns is the same problem we have in general with american politics: the extremes from both sides hijack the conversation so nothing gets done.

One side wants to ban all self-loading firearms (a huge majority of arms sold), the other side says "Nope, no more laws we're done now".

I still love the idea of adding handguns to the NFA with the compromise of repealing hughes or a number of other things that could be done, but the catch there is the word "Compromise" - nobody's going to.

So nothing's going to change for the forseeable future.

Tezzor posted:

Automatic weapons are clearly not a threat to anyone. We can see this from the fact that while they are rare, highly expensive and heavily regulated they are not currently killing people. We should remove this state of affairs because I do not want to accept restrictions on my selection of toys.

Not that you're going to argue this in good faith anyways, but nobody's suggesting dropping machineguns out of the NFA, only removing the 1986 registry cut-off. Just having them in the NFA alone has proven to be exceedingly effective, and removing the cut-off is a good quid-pro-quo you can toss that won't increase crime in any way but would allow you to do other things such as add pistols in to the NFA. You still have a full FBI background check (not the instant brady one), tax stamp, and registration of the firearms.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 8, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
But seriously it would be worth another mass shooting where the perpetrators had full auto weapons if I could full auto some 7,62x39 into a cardboard box and some cans.

That would be toight.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

dammit edit not quote.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey question how come after we heavily regulated automatic weapons criminals didn't still have them all the time since criminals don't follow the law and it is so trivial to make a gun automatic

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Tezzor posted:

Hey question how come after we heavily regulated automatic weapons criminals didn't still have them all the time since criminals don't follow the law and it is so trivial to make a gun automatic

We still did have full auto weapons being used in crimes, they just weren't legal/registered ones.

China got caught shipping an entire cargo container full of them to California, the Hollywood bank heist ones were illegal built AK's, etc etc.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Tezzor posted:

Because full auto actually isn't all that useful.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doccers posted:

Not that you're going to argue this in good faith anyways, but nobody's suggesting dropping machineguns out of the NFA, only removing the 1986 registry cut-off. Just having them in the NFA alone has proven to be exceedingly effective, and removing the cut-off is a good quid-pro-quo you can toss that won't increase crime in any way but would allow you to do other things such as add pistols in to the NFA. You still have a full FBI background check (not the instant brady one), tax stamp, and registration of the firearms.

This would have the effect of decreasing the cost and increasing the number and availability of automatic weapons, which as far as I can tell is balanced on the moral scale only by "I do not want to be restricted in my selection of toys," so I'm not really seeing the benefit.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 9, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did other countries experience a similar decrease in crime over the last 20 years or was the U.S. in the 1970's and 80's so incredibly bad that even now with half as much crime we're still considered wild west cowboys?

Or did no one notice how bad it was back then because there wasn't a 24 hour news cycle and out-of-sight out-of-mind?

Maybe 24 hour news is to blame.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Tezzor posted:

This would have the effect of creasing the cost and increasing the number and availability of automatic weapons, which as far as I can tell is balanced on the moral scale only by "I do not want to be restricted in my selection of toys," so I'm not really seeing the benefit.

The political reality of getting pistols added into the NFA would be the benefit.

But you don't want that.

You want everything banned, so there's zero point for you to compromise at all.

So.

Nothing will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

now a doublepost? man I'm sucking today.

• Locked thread