Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Shadow posted:

lol yeah Microsoft really should give up on phones. Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and Windows Phone are all complete failures. And with its nonexistent marketshare, even good designs are going to mean nothing since every mobile app you'll ever want is only going to be found on iOS and Android. If they have a mercy Windows Phone version, I think you can pretty much guarantee it'll be an afterthought for all bug fixes and feature enhancements. Perhaps Software Containerization will make it easier in the future when they have better (or existing) support for mobile devices, but until then, it's a pipe dream.

Microsoft wasn't a total failure in the phone market back when the iPhone first came out. I knew a lot of people with Windows CE smartphones, and they were pretty cool for the time. HTC made a lot of popular ones. WindowsCE was pretty cool because you could run poo poo on your phone that was made 15 years earlier (aka the only reason people really use Microsoft stuff). Then after they killed Windows CE (Mobile 6.5 being the last version of it) they came out with Windows Mobile 7 (aka Windows Phone) which was compatible with absolutely nothing and sucked poo poo. I honestly think they would have been better off sticking with Windows CE. Phones became powerful enough that Windows CE would have sucked a bit less (lack of RAM was always a limiting factor for it).

Shadow posted:

Yeah, 2 USBs on my macbook air. They are able to see that USB dominates peripherals but simply refuse to see that mini USB is the de facto standard for mobile devices. It's absurd how anti-consumer Apple is. They don't look at the market to see what it wants. They tell it what it wants, and then you have their forums filled with brainwashed faggots telling you how you're using your laptop wrong

lol absolutely this. I remember when the App Store would not let you see your previous purchase/download history. Apple fans would non-stop defend this poo poo with "if the app was really that important to you, you'd remember its name!! If you forgot it, then obviously it wasn't that important. Such a stupid spergy request god :rolleyes: "

Also wanting to be able to turn wifi and Bluetooth on and off easily not that long ago meant you were using your device wrong too.

Shadow posted:

Alright, I'll accept that as a reason. It still sucks that I turn the phone off by mistake so often because of it being placed right opposite the volume button, but your explanation does make design sense.

They can just place the loving power button on the right side of the phone but above the volume buttons to solve both problems but no.

Oh and the funny thing about the lightning connector is that it's biggest appeal is being able to plug it in in any direction which is what USB-C is doing now anyway and is now a universal standard lol

I love that the European Union said "gently caress you, Apple" and made them include a MicroUSB adapter with every phone.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The worst thing about iPhones is in software - the music app has gotten progressively worse with each new update. Now it looks like they've killed Genius playlists altogether which sucks because that used to be my favorite way to listen to music.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Melmac posted:

Microsoft wasn't a total failure in the phone market back when the iPhone first came out. I knew a lot of people with Windows CE smartphones, and they were pretty cool for the time. HTC made a lot of popular ones. WindowsCE was pretty cool because you could run poo poo on your phone that was made 15 years earlier (aka the only reason people really use Microsoft stuff). Then after they killed Windows CE (Mobile 6.5 being the last version of it) they came out with Windows Mobile 7 (aka Windows Phone) which was compatible with absolutely nothing and sucked poo poo. I honestly think they would have been better off sticking with Windows CE. Phones became powerful enough that Windows CE would have sucked a bit less (lack of RAM was always a limiting factor for it).
I had Windows phones prior to going Apple in 2010 because I had absolutely had it. Feature Rich, yes. You're right. I had HTC as well. I even had a Palm running WinMo. I had an old Spring Mogul. I had a number of them. I was an early adopter with Smart Phones. And perhaps you're right that all of the unstable issues may have just been the fact they were resource hogs and would freeze up on me so often. After missing important calls for the 15,000th time because my HTC (super attractive phone mind you, but ran Windows) continued blinking green indicating service, but when finally reaching for it to see why that important call never came in, the clock indicated it froze 3 hours earlier. That day I bought a loving iPhone. I knew what sucked about it and knew what worked. I hated the company then and hate it now but due to not having time to deal with important poo poo like phones not working, I just keep upgrading every 2 years.

iPhone 3GS-> 4S -> 5 -> 6

:(

Melmac posted:

lol absolutely this. I remember when the App Store would not let you see your previous purchase/download history. Apple fans would non-stop defend this poo poo with "if the app was really that important to you, you'd remember its name!! If you forgot it, then obviously it wasn't that important. Such a stupid spergy request god :rolleyes: "

Also wanting to be able to turn wifi and Bluetooth on and off easily not that long ago meant you were using your device wrong too.

They can just place the loving power button on the right side of the phone but above the volume buttons to solve both problems but no.

Oh and the funny thing about the lightning connector is that it's biggest appeal is being able to plug it in in any direction which is what USB-C is doing now anyway and is now a universal standard lol

I love that the European Union said "gently caress you, Apple" and made them include a MicroUSB adapter with every phone.

Uh... really? So you can get an iPhone that uses this USB-C connector? Um... can I?

Ryoshi posted:

The worst thing about iPhones is in software - the music app has gotten progressively worse with each new update. Now it looks like they've killed Genius playlists altogether which sucks because that used to be my favorite way to listen to music.
lol what? they're getting rid of genius? I noticed it's sucked lately too but good christ. I like that I can always get another app but unlike other OSes (android included) you can't set the default app so ask SIRI to get you directions and it uses Apple Maps, not Waze. Ask it to find the name of the first emperor of the Byzantine and it uses Safari instead of Chrome.

Maybe Tim Cook's direction of "options" being more than the color will result in fixing these problems.

How's jailbreaking lately? Maybe I just need to jailbreak my Macbook and iPhone. iPad I'm fine with because it's literally just a toy. Media, Shopping, and browsing so it's fine as is.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 7, 2015

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly, I've been an iphone person forever but when I went to the Verizon store to upgrade to the 6s plus, I got to playing around with the Galaxy s6+ edge and the fact that I could use the giant bowl full of mini USB cords on my desk was the deciding factor for me, and I can't see myself going back to the iphone unless they make some serious changes.

Paired with the fact that I can use any old app for built-in needs (ie. different browsers, music players) without issue is almost liberating.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

lol yeah in my brief time with iPhone there were maybe 3 (three) programs available in the app store that were good for handling long MP3 files. "Bookmobile Audiobook" was the only one of three (3) to choose from, and I had nothing but problems with it (audio would not pause while GPS gave directions). On Android I have like literally 120 loving choices. God drat.

Shadow posted:

Uh... really? So you can get an iPhone that uses this USB-C connector? Um... can I?

No, sorry. Only an adapter that the EU required for Apple to legally sell in the EU.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shadow posted:

lol what? they're getting rid of genius? I noticed it's sucked lately too but good christ.

well yeah it interferes with their grand scheme of siphoning money via apple music somehow

apple music, that wonderful service that locks up your entire music app for five minutes when it tries to phone home every time you accidentally brush the icon

gently caress tim cook

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Shadow posted:

They are able to see that USB dominates peripherals but simply refuse to see that mini USB is the de facto standard for mobile devices.

I feel like you must've meant micro usb, so now I'm going to say things that use mini/micro to differentiate incompatible hardware is terrible design. Which one is newer and smaller, mini usb or micro usb? What about motherboards, is mini ITX the smaller form factor or is it micro ATX? What about micro and mini SIM cards? Just use the SI scale, or come up with better names geez

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"Yeah it's a micropenis, but I'm telling you guy with the minipenis is even smaller."

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
At least I can be pretty certain my micropenis is bigger than all the nanopenises out there

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I read they were getting rid of the headphone jacks because they are too fat and phones are getting slimmer. Although I don't think I want a brittle phone that skinny.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yes I meant micro stop being mean :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Micro is smaller than mini how does anyone not know this

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I'm not so torqued over top/bottom placements as the left/right. The way the power and volume buttons are situated to your fingertips grasping the phone is great if one is a rightie.

Lefties get the weird contortions fumbling with the off-hand. Sometimes you actually do press the right button on the first try. Usually I don't.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The one advantage to Windows phone is that you can get a cheap Nokia for like 40 dollars that will hand the rear end to most 40 dollar Android phones. And sure the amount of Apps it runs is technically less but cheap android phones are so bad that you weren't going to be able to run any apps on them anyways and Windows Phone covers all the bare essential apps people care about (Pandora, Spotify, WhatsApp, etc). IDK, I don't really use my phone for more than casual internet browsing, texting and playing the occasional gameboy game so maybe I'm the target market for Windows phone since mine runs fast, does everything I want quickly, never hangs or crashes and has decent battery life.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The one advantage to Windows phone is that you can get a cheap Nokia for like 40 dollars that will hand the rear end to most 40 dollar Android phones. And sure the amount of Apps it runs is technically less but cheap android phones are so bad that you weren't going to be able to run any apps on them anyways and Windows Phone covers all the bare essential apps people care about (Pandora, Spotify, WhatsApp, etc). IDK, I don't really use my phone for more than casual internet browsing, texting and playing the occasional gameboy game so maybe I'm the target market for Windows phone since mine runs fast, does everything I want quickly, never hangs or crashes and has decent battery life.

This, and Windows Phone 8 has a nice functional design aesthetic which facilitates exactly this: getting your necessary poo poo done easily and quickly. I heard that the upcoming Windows 10 update is gonna poo poo on everything, though, so I guess that's it for me.

I'm gonna buy a Samsung or a Nexus for my next phone when I have the cash, but my current cheapo Lumia performs as well as a 200€ Android but had a 60€ price tag. I'm a poor student who only uses the phone for casual internet browsing and updating my calendar, so, yeah.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Xlorp posted:

I'm not so torqued over top/bottom placements as the left/right. The way the power and volume buttons are situated to your fingertips grasping the phone is great if one is a rightie.

Lefties get the weird contortions fumbling with the off-hand. Sometimes you actually do press the right button on the first try. Usually I don't.

Left handed people are another good example of bad design

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xlorp posted:

On my phone the buttons are all in the center of the back of the phone rather than on the sides. At first I hated it but it's actually a lot harder to accidentally mash them while you're holding it yet easy to reach them when you need to :shrug:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Shadow posted:

Alright, I'll accept that as a reason. It still sucks that I turn the phone off by mistake so often because of it being placed right opposite the volume button, but your explanation does make design sense.

This is "by design" rather than a bad design. Apple's a piece of poo poo and wants to milk you out of as much money as possible. Standardizing with mini USB wouldn't allow them to ask for $20+ for a replacement charger cable. Hell, every hotel I've been in (I travel a lot) had the previous Apple docking station. A giant gently caress you to them changing it to the lightning in the first place. Almost looks like mini USB but it isn't, lol gently caress you.

gently caress you, Apple.

No, dipshit, it's because all the other connectors are lovely and the electronics to make them work are thick.

Lightining is incredibly loving fast, the connector is thin, bi-directional & super easy to insert, and the electronics that make it all work are incredibly loving lean thin and allow them to make really sexy thin hardware.

Lighting is better than USB in every goddamn way. You just hate Apple out of dumbshit principle because the people that used to throw you into trashcans at school own iPhones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a happy snowman posted:

because the people that used to throw you into trashcans at school own iPhones.

this is the opposite of reality.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a happy snowman posted:

No, dipshit, it's because all the other connectors are lovely and the electronics to make them work are thick.

Lightining is incredibly loving fast, the connector is thin, bi-directional & super easy to insert, and the electronics that make it all work are incredibly loving lean thin and allow them to make really sexy thin hardware.

Lighting is better than USB in every goddamn way. You just hate Apple out of dumbshit principle because the people that used to throw you into trashcans at school own iPhones.

lollllll

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

u wanna go? meet me in yospos ill fight u

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a happy snowman posted:

actually lightning sucks and a difference of a few mm is irrelevant, especially with usb c on the agenda. see: the MacBook

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the actually important thing that apple does well is dealing with the battery.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a happy snowman posted:

lightning is USB 2 speeds for all ur 2008 peripherals

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ArmZ posted:

actually lightning sucks and a difference of a few mm is irrelevant, especially with usb c on the agenda. see: the MacBook

lightning was faster for a little while but with the disadvantage of basically being a PCI-Express line and therefore unable to do the whole hub thing USB can, which gets incredibly annoying for me since my 2 lightning ports on this MBP are being used for two pretty basic things already (one of which - the ethernet port - should have been built into the drat laptop to begin with)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ArmZ posted:

the actually important thing that apple does well is dealing with the battery.

Ahaha no

iPhone 6 battery - 1,810mAH
My lovely Samsung - 3,500mAH

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

a happy snowman posted:

someone get a white sheet and an N64 with goldeneye, we have a hell of a projector right here

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

lightning was faster for a little while but with the disadvantage of basically being a PCI-Express line and therefore unable to do the whole hub thing USB can, which gets incredibly annoying for me since my 2 lightning ports on this MBP are being used for two pretty basic things already (one of which - the ethernet port - should have been built into the drat laptop to begin with)

you're thinking thunderbolt ports

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

you're thinking thunderbolt ports

... yes, you're right, i got them mixed up. i never do that. what the hell.

i'll still fight u.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

a happy snowman posted:

The cable is rated 1.5 stars on apples own store by over 1k people.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Uthor posted:

If you wanna see a bad decision, see Microsoft's brand new flagship phone. You have, top to bottom, volume up, power, volume down. Yes, the power is between the volume buttons.

I really don't know what the reasoning was here. A typical rocker button for volume is easier, more intuituve, and actually cheaper than having two buttons in different places rather than the same volume control every other phone had. If you really want to get spergy, the additional cct/wiring required to have the volume buttons in different locations could add up to a few thousand dollars over the lifespan of the phone.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

You guys aren't being real supportive of the 'furious' thing I see

A bad thread

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

revmoo posted:

Ahaha no

iPhone 6 battery - 1,810mAH
My lovely Samsung - 3,500mAH

I don't know which Samsung you have, but when I was reading a review pitting my galaxy s6 against the iphone 6s, it said that while the Samsung had a larger battery, the oled display uses more power, so there difference is negligible. If I'm remembering correctly, the difference between the two was less than 20 minutes worth of use.

Edit: I will say that I really hate the trend that apple started off having non-removable batteries. If the battery in my old phone went bad, it was a $15 fix and a trip to wal mart.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 8, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
iPhones have smaller batteries but counter with better optimization and a less pixel-dense display to drive. Galaxy phones have larger batteries but are less optimized and have very pixel dense displays. It evens itself out.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I went from a iphone 4 to a 6 recently, and the battery difference is amazing. Battery for the 6 is really great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blistex posted:

If you really want to get spergy, the additional cct/wiring required to have the volume buttons in different locations could add up to a few thousand dollars over the lifespan of the phone.

How many phones are you expecting MS to sell???

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Logikv9 posted:

iPhones have smaller batteries but counter with better optimization and a less pixel-dense display to drive. Galaxy phones have larger batteries but are less optimized and have very pixel dense displays. It evens itself out.

And then you can carry around a spare battery for the Samsung.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ZombieJesus posted:

And then you can carry around a spare battery for the Samsung.

Not anymore.

Another counterpoint: carrying an external battery works just as well for iPhones and Galaxy S6 (and newer).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Logikv9 posted:

That's hilarious fanboyism right there "Apple is cool to use a smaller batter in its phones because their screens are lower resolution. See, Apple is better!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

revmoo posted:

That's hilarious fanboyism right there "Apple is cool to use a smaller batter in its phones because their screens are lower resolution. See, Apple is better!"

samsung eats battery, apple design is way more efficient. they have about the same battery life. the weight difference is noticeable, unlike the few mm diff between micro usb and lightning. see also: any MacBook

source: I have used both

• Locked thread