Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The best use for the metal shields is if you have a Bandit on your team, which means they can be electrified and hard to vault over without blowing up the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
It's good for covering a flank, for example you find a really good spot to cover a long hallway or angle but your right or left flank is open. Throw it down crouch behind it so you are covered. Also don't go prone behind it, your legs could clip through and make you exposed.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I like how the shortest shotgun is the one with the best range

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I tend to use deployable shields as a distraction. I leave them somewhere where they might be useful, but don't actually stand behind them. They would be a lot better as actual cover if getting shot after you're behind cover wasn't so common, but they do work very well for covering a flank as mentioned.

Doctor_Acula posted:

Yeah, they should block anything in that radius. I try to put them between two reinforced walls, but I'm not sure if that is increasing or decreasing their effectiveness (or keeping it the same, for that matter).

Doing this will typically stop Thermite from using his charge on the center of either wall, but he can still use them on the far edges. Of course, most won't try so this is probably the optimal way to do it if you have more walls to cover than you have jammers.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Will Mute's jammers cover both walls in a corner?

Everyone should try out Tachanka on a hostage defense t hunt. The AI is dumb and will run at you like lemmings, it's glorious.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If you out the barriers right I a doorway, nobody can get through it without vaulting and and losing ability to shoot for about a second, so there's that

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The best use for the metal shields is if you have a Bandit on your team, which means they can be electrified and hard to vault over without blowing up the battery.

Super underused tactic. There's a room on the plane if you're on secure or hostage rescue that's possible to completely barricade besides one door, leaving only one entrance. If you put a shield in that doorway (electrified or otherwise) you can sit in the corner and the only way for them to get to you is to hop over the shield and you can gun them down in the meantime. They could use a frag grenade or Ash breaches to destroy it, but you know... they usually don't. Pretty much the perfect anti-shield measure, as well.

Dezztroy posted:

I like how the shortest shotgun is the one with the best range

Also it holds 8 shells instead of the 4+1 or 3+1 it probably should be.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thats a great idea, totally doing it tonight.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The in-game description for that shotgun says it has a larger barrel which allows for increased range.

Anyway, I just played a ranked game where I got a double kill with a frag grenade next to the hostage, and then got three kills in one round with Kapkan's booby traps, one double kill. poo poo was surreal.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Liberatore posted:

The in-game description for that shotgun says it has a larger barrel which allows for increased range.

Except it has like a 14 inch barrel, it's shorter than every other shotgun in the game.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Yeah, I know. It makes no sense and should be the complete opposite, but whatever.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Liberatore posted:

Yeah, I know. It makes no sense and should be the complete opposite, but whatever.

Yeah, I'd like to see the Mossberg or GIGN's shotgun upped to that range and the 870 reduced a bit (I mean, the MP7 is great and Jager's carbine is easily the best defensive weapon already).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Deployable shields are a LOT better if you use them as cover in a relatively long range engagement, like across a big room or a long hallway. They'll hide your entire body when you duck and only expose a small part of it when you come up to shoot while your opponents will probably be much more exposed. They're pretty bad if you use them somewhere like a corner near a door because the enemy can quickly close the distance while you're cowering behind the shield and go around the side or top and shoot you, plus it's a lot easier to hit someone in the head when they're <10 feet away. Also yes they make a fantastic door barrier if you have Bandit put one of his batteries behind one. He actually had the option to take one in the first beta but they changed it to a Nitro Cell now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Thatcher's EMP grenades get rid of Bandit's shock boxes, right?

Edit: I wish there was a test ground or training ground where you could try things like this out without having to have other players present.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 8, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I may be in the minority here but nitro cells should really need to be physically placed in the same way as all the other gadgets rather than being a thrown sticky bomb. They aren't marked, can be detonated almost instantly, and really just aren't fun to play against when instead they could be a good trap device and give IQ some more reason to actually use her ability

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A kind of mythbusters-type video for Siege, some neat stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeQyk7G8-c

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I may be in the minority here but nitro cells should really need to be physically placed in the same way as all the other gadgets rather than being a thrown sticky bomb. They aren't marked, can be detonated almost instantly, and really just aren't fun to play against when instead they could be a good trap device and give IQ some more reason to actually use her ability

IQ's special could definitely use some more utility. Even in TH where it's a bit more useful, it's not as if its hard to notice bombs when you get close to them given how much noise they make.

I think fundamentally her special's issue is that its utility relies on OTHER specials being dangerous enough that you'd want it. If booby traps were harder to spot, then having someone that can detect them would be useful, but then the traps themselves would feel too powerful since they'd basically be a blind "sometimes you just die" thing.

The one use I've found for her is that you can detect the bombs in disarm levels, which can be kind of handy if your team didn't find them with the drones. I'd really like her to be better because the guns she has are actually pretty great. The AUG has a bit too much recoil but I love the Commando and her LMG that I forget the name of.

At the very least it would be nice if when she detected something it put a pip on your teammate's screens as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

IQ can detect Pulse using his device and more importantly, anyone using cameras. Between that and her guns, she's pretty drat good, but most people who play her have no idea how to truly take advantage of her device.

If Kapkan traps were better, C4 couldn't be heard from beyond its effective range and cameras were randomized, she'd be loving amazing. But as it is, she's far from useless.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 8, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Profanity posted:

A kind of mythbusters-type video for Siege, some neat stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeQyk7G8-c

None of that stuff was in question.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Do you guys mostly like to barricade yourself in with the bomb? I feel like I'm way more successfully if I go to another floor and hide until I hear a breach point

Also can you or can't you hear people crouch walking, I just can't figure it out

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When on D I think have two guys actually leave the objective area and try to get around attackers while they are setting up works the best.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think the only change I'd like from IQs device is it marking the objective like if had line of sight to it. Marking spotted traps temporarily for teammates would be nice too, since the games a little too fast paced to stop and explain where traps are to your team.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ethanol posted:

Do you guys mostly like to barricade yourself in with the bomb? I feel like I'm way more successfully if I go to another floor and hide until I hear a breach point

Also can you or can't you hear people crouch walking, I just can't figure it out

Most of the time if there is an easy breaching point in the ceiling of the objective i'll go upstairs and cover it myself, very rarely i'll just fortify it and go on my way (i usually end up getting more kills leaving it open though) and most teams never expect to get hit from behind while they are trying to breach the room.

Also no you can't hear people that are crouch walking, i'm not sure you can hear them while they are walking around while ADS either but i'm not quite sure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Orv posted:

None of that stuff was in question.

Glaz shooting through reinforcements is pretty loving weird and obscure - especially considering Tachanka can't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Glaz shooting through reinforcements is pretty loving weird and obscure - especially considering Tachanka can't.

It's weird but it's definitely a known quantity by now, like most stuff covered by video game Mythbusters videos.

To that point specifically, Glaz can shoot through a lot of stuff no-one else can. Most of the hardwood desks in the levels are hard cover against everything except Glaz, as well as a few other static environment pieces that crop up almost everywhere. On Plane, Glaz can shoot through some but not all of the exterior windows, meaning Glaz is an absolute terror on Plane with a good player. Just be aware that once he breaches a window it can be shoot through by other people.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Any idea why sometimes thermite starts cutting through plate and then just ... doesn't? The wall gets all scorch-marked but it doesn't break through.

I think it can happen with regular breaching charges against non-reinforced drywall as well.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

could be someone shot the charge from the other side of the wall.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

AbortRetryFail posted:

Any idea why sometimes thermite starts cutting through plate and then just ... doesn't? The wall gets all scorch-marked but it doesn't break through.

I think it can happen with regular breaching charges against non-reinforced drywall as well.

If you're using it on a none reinforced wall, chances are someone shot it through the wall ?

Also maybe they had mute and he deployed a jamming device as you were breaching but thats a bit far fetched.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It's definitely not getting shot through the wall, I've seen it happen about 4 times now, in areas with no hostiles. It could be jammers, EMP grenades, etc. but the charge physically explodes as per normal but doesnt completely destroy the wall, just puts little holes in it and scorch marks.

One time it happened to a pubbie who was as confused as I was, so I put my breaching charge on the wall in the same spot and it worked. Afterwards I ran to the other side and no one was there to shoot it or whatever, and there was no other way out of the room.

And yeah, it can happen with standard charges.

The most likely thing at the moment I can think of is they put "it was a dud, heh" as a thing that can happen into the game, but that would be really dumb. Or just a bug.

Next time it happens I'll get it with shadowplay.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Could it be some weird dsync stuff going on?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think Sledge is probably my favorite attacker so far. Frags, the L85, and his hammer is just amazing at opening up odd paths. There's one map where you can rappel into a skylight and bust open a wall into a bomb site. It's so high up, the reinforcement plates can't cover it, and usually the defenders don't notice the hole right away, 20 feet up. Plus there's nothing like smashing in a downed enemy with a sledgehammer. :black101:

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

The Gate posted:

I think Sledge is probably my favorite attacker so far. Frags, the L85, and his hammer is just amazing at opening up odd paths. There's one map where you can rappel into a skylight and bust open a wall into a bomb site. It's so high up, the reinforcement plates can't cover it, and usually the defenders don't notice the hole right away, 20 feet up. Plus there's nothing like smashing in a downed enemy with a sledgehammer. :black101:

People rarely like him/use him at all effectively. Hes very good at going above a bomb site and crushing the floor in random spots to shoot through.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is probably me being dumb but just in case anyone else is dumb like me:

If you want to pick which map/mode you play on Terrorist Hunt, you can do it in the matchmaking menu under the gameplay options screen. It's not as convenient as being able to just choose which one you want to play when you start a game, but you can disable everything you DON'T want to play (which can be everything except one mode and one map if you really want that specific one).

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I find that most people don't even look in the options after seeing their graphics up. Like, they don't realize that you can set lean to Hold or seeing match making preferences.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

SlayVus posted:

I find that most people don't even look in the options after seeing their graphics up. Like, they don't realize that you can set lean to Hold or seeing match making preferences.

To be honest, the filtering stuff shouldn't be hidden away in an options menu. I think most people expect matchmaking preferences to be accessible in the relevant matchmaking screen.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Speaking of this, setting your aim to toggle stops you from being able to aim in on Tachanka's MG for some reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

I actually prefer it as toggle. At least on keyboard. It's hard to move around with WASD if you're also holding Q or E. That said I also remapped like half the other keys so maybe I'm just weird about controls.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Parkingtigers posted:

What specifically do you think is missing? We had it set so it was just us, no randoms. We could disable certain modes so we started with classic T-hunt only, then added in bomb defusal and hostage extraction to mix things up. Just being able to play as a duo and set our "playlist" of modes was enough for us but we're easily pleased.

unless i'm missing something you can't do that as a lone wolf :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

unless i'm missing something you can't do that as a lone wolf :(

You can - the options you set for matchmaking also apply to lone wolf (as far as the game is concerned, lone wolf is just a multiplayer TH game with only one player).

It would be nice to have options like being able to set enemy numbers independent of difficulty level, though. On normal enemies are way too spread out and basically hang out one or two at a time, but on higher difficulties they're just too deadly to solo, and there's a time limit so you can't take it nice and methodical and scout with your remote drone.

• Locked thread