Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Max Gor also faved some of my pics, I assumed he was a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't be the first time someone looked at their referrer logs on flickr and started interacting with goons.

Didn't the last thread of this nature have someone sign up and get into a slapfight?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I'll let you guys in on a little social media secret: if you follow 50,000 people and like 1,000 posts a day you will in return get some of that back regardless of the actual quality of your own content. There's a reason that it's not called merit media.

Also, people typically don't stumble upon new work on any social media platform. They usually only look at the work of the people on their radar: the people they follow and the people that interact with them. (Also hashtags and flickr groups in this case)

Fav a stranger's work and they most likely will at least look at your work out of curiosity and may even reciprocate the action (like/follow/comment) out of simple politeness.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

feigning interest posted:

Fav a stranger's work and they most likely will at least look at your work out of curiosity and may even reciprocate the action (like/follow/comment) out of simple politeness.
Absolutely. I only recognized who it was who had favourited one of the 27 photos I uploaded today after I clicked on his name under my photo and browsed through his photostream; that winning photo had something more than 235 000 views as of this morning. I've done this almost every time one of my photos has been favourited (or commented on, or who has started following me) by somebody I don't know, and typically I find something I like of theirs and reciprocate. When you do that, Flickr takes you first to the person's Favourites, not their photostream, and in this case I was mildly surprised to not see my picture on that page. As you pointed out, he's favouriting a ton of pictures, so mine dropped off the first page of his favourites fairly quickly.

Optimistic view: this guy is a lurker around here, and happens to like what Dorkroomers are doing.
That's not necessarily mutually-exclusive with the idea (well supported by evidence at this point) that he's trolling for reciprocal, asymmetrical popularity.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

trolling for reciprocal, asymmetrical popularity.

mods plz

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't be the first time someone looked at their referrer logs on flickr and started interacting with goons.

Didn't the last thread of this nature have someone sign up and get into a slapfight?

It happened in the previous lovely photographers thread, and it was great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is this said thread? I delved into the archives to see if I could find anything that looked similar to this one. It's pretty long and I'm going to bet there's a ton of dead image links, but it might yield some fun... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3303711

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
some real gems in that thread

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's amazing how many people who considered themselves professional photographers and had a registered domain now don't have active sites. And I'm looking at posts from only a few years ago. The Flickr ones are good because you can see if the truly awful ones at least improved at all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A good portion of what was in that old mock thread were momtographers. Stay-at-home mothers with children newly at school who suddenly have some free time, so they sell their photography services to their friends who are in similar situations. My guess is all of them eventually claimed to "not have time for it" anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's hard to tell what was going to be there (unless I use internet archive, which I can't be arsed to do), but a lot of the cut and pastes from their sites were "I'm a cut above the rest, greatest in the state" kind of nonsense.

I think I happened to come across the start of where someone from offsite comes in. This post links through to TalkPhotography and the guy they're laughing at knows his pics/comments are being posted here, so it might be him who comes in and starts acting up. He seems pretty arrogant, so I wouldn't put it past him.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

quote:

The photos were scored by an algorithm that calculates a combination of social and interactive elements, including how often the photo had been faved and viewed, among numerous others.

imo this is the metric in which all art should be judged

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Got a like, checks it out, guy with 11k followers, checks out his photos, trips the gently caress out.

Dismantling Railway Tracks, Kelowna, B.C. by joel cartmell, on Flickr

Mission Recreation Park, Kelowna, B.C. by joel cartmell, on Flickr

Kodak Z712 IS Zoom by joel cartmell, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Is it considered mixed media if you smear poo poo all over your photos?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

Got a like, checks it out, guy with 11k followers, checks out his photos, trips the gently caress out.
I got a bunch of likes from too around 9am. He's on the prowl.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

try it with a lime posted:

I got a bunch of likes from too around 9am. He's on the prowl.

Same.

edit: lol "joellypolly's favorite photos from other Flickr members (545,109)"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haha, not 5 mins after I posted that I took a look at his favourites and scrolled all the way to the bottom and couldn't find my photo. He works fast.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Cant you just hire a bunch of chinese breadworkers to sit in a warehouse and fav on flickr all day

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Advertise on mechanical turk

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Or a Bitcoin forum. Those idiots will do any menial poo poo for some digital nonsense. It does mean having to deal with Bitcoin, or you could just not pay them, which is pretty much inline with the expected experience.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

owns

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if these guys run a script to like photos for them.

edit: yeah https://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.favorites.add.html

akadajet fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 11, 2015

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

Dismantling Railway Tracks, Kelowna, B.C. by joel cartmell, on Flickr

Mission Recreation Park, Kelowna, B.C. by joel cartmell, on Flickr

Kodak Z712 IS Zoom by joel cartmell, on Flickr

cclean yer sensor m8

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My future family in law are big basset hound rescue people, so naturally I have a bunch of basset related Facebook groups in my feed. This is usually fine, as I get to coo over hounds all day, but the members have discovered this iPhone/Android app and it's the most heinous thing on the planet. Now my feed is full of poor animals that look like they're melting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Basset hounds look they're melting n real life, why would somebody blather liquid-effect filters all over pictures of them? :psyduck:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I did it boys

I made it on Flickr.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

PROTIP: When shooting a cosplay model, shift their legs over a few inches in Photoshop. Because why the gently caress not?!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doggles posted:

PROTIP: When shooting a cosplayrealdoll model, shift their legs over a few inches in Photoshop. Because why the gently caress not?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doggles posted:

PROTIP: When shooting a cosplay model, shift their legs over a few inches in Photoshop. Because why the gently caress not?!

holy poo poo :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The really sad part is how reddit stumbled over itself debating whether the subject even needed photoshopping. And so a bunch of internet nerds scoured the internet looking for an alternate picture to confirm whether or not she is sufficiently attractive.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I did it boys

I made it on Flickr.

I just got maxgor'd today

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm trying like hell to figure out what exactly happened here :psyduck:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I think this pic is actually pretty cool, could do without the watermark tho...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

I'm trying like hell to figure out what exactly happened here :psyduck:

someone tried to moon a pentax user but was too busy laughing at their Q and fell into an open sewer (and sometimes known as your posts)

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RangerScum posted:

Agreed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-snype posted:

someone tried to moon a pentax user but was too busy laughing at their Q and fell into an open sewer (and sometimes known as your posts)

always known as my posts :colbert:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RangerScum posted:

It's from here, their software added the watermark when I sent the url to imgur.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/19-contest-voting/309970-theme-vote-now-photo-contest-111-poll-motion-november-2015-a.html

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Why didn't you post this beauty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Why didn't you post this beauty?

that's good too. lots of questionable post processing going on in pentax land.