Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I'm aware of the slowness. All too aware :( I've been driving the girlfriends 2010 Legacy to work. Hers is the NA 2.5 with a CVT. It's not as painful as I'd like to say it is but that CVT makes it feel like the whole drivetrain is made of marshmallow fluff. As far as the mileage I'm thinking that if it's comparable to the 2010 it should average between 25-30 mpg on regular gas. I'm accustomed to seeing 19-21 mpg with premium gas in the GTP, so it'd be an improvement.

I'm going to miss that GTP. Not the prettiest thing and definitely not refined but it had a sort of raw, gently caress you quality to it. Mashing the gas to merge into highway traffic was like a gigantic greasy retarded man screaming and windmilling his way through a hallway crowded with children. I fear that I may never feel that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

350hp motors that can wipe the slate of 500hp motors? Like?

I'm not against FI, but I do keep in mind there are downsides to it as well as benefits.

I'm pretty confident I could build a 250Kw rotary that would scare the living poo poo out of any 300-350Kw V8 swap in a straight line. And would without doubt smack the living poo poo out of the V8 swap around a track

And before there is BUT BUT BUT ALL THINGS EQUAL!!!! - nothing is equal, that is exactly the point! Play up to the strengths of each motor, rather than thoughtlessly dump in something that sounds cool. You can never get all things equal so dont pretend you can - then use the best motor in the best shell for it's characteristics.

quote:

If 20B's didn't bust a rotor seal when you look at them funny or snack on oil with every tank and were available in stacks at every junkyard nationwide they'd be competition. But they're not.

Apex seals is a sad bit of bullshit that keeps being thrown up - Rotarys are reliable and very tolerant to abuse, a dollop of oil is part of running a rotory (and it's not that much required). The not exactly common is unfortuantly true. But if you do the swap hooooooly poo poo is it worth is. And with one of those, the whole V8 might be faster in a straight line becomes highly dubious.

I might point out that the LS1 has a terrible reputation for reliabilty and longetivity in Australia. Oil consumption that beats a rotary, bores that wear if you blink at then, regular ancillary failures.... basically seen like Americans see rotarys. The Gen IV motors are seen as being a whoooooooole load better.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 8, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm pretty confident I could build a 250Kw rotary that would scare the living poo poo out of any 300-350Kw V8 swap in a straight line. And would without doubt smack the living poo poo out of the V8 swap around a track

Sorry, but what characteristics of the rotary allow it to not only shrug off a 100kw disadvantage but "scare the living poo poo out of" it?

Personally I'd love to have heaps of readily available V8s that didn't come out of Range Rovers.

If I was building a car and wanted it to go fast or cruise forever you bet I'd put in a readily available V8 with great parts and tuning support, if it was my money and that was the goal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd have a V8 purely because I enjoy the sounds they can make.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

Sorry, but what characteristics of the rotary allow it to not only shrug off a 100kw disadvantage but "scare the living poo poo out of" it?

The imminent danger of blowing the hell up?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love reading about crazy exotic swaps but I totally see someone looking at their $/£6k jag/Porsche/whatever repair bill and then looking at 4k for an LS crate engine and going for it.

On the other end of the scale I've got into reading about and looking at cycle cars recently, hand built 100cc-ish single seat death traps that look so goddamn much fun.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ssjonizuka posted:

Obligatory ej25 knock-knock joke reference

Its piston slap!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Enourmo posted:

does anyone else ever just make a spreadsheet to figure something out

i just made one to calculate potential final grades for one of my classes where the loving professor changed the grading scale a week and a half before the end of class.

I tend to optimize my efforts towards what's worth the most, so naturally this hurt me, but after making a spreadsheet the damage is not as bad as i thought; maximum of like 1% difference between old and new scales.

it's almost fun

When I worked in a purchasing office at a manufacturing company most of my work was done in excel. At the same time I was designing and building my own house so I pretty much had my house building costs spreadsheet open all the time because it just looked like i was working. I also like to create spreadsheets to compare vehicles when It comes time to make a purchase because I have automotive ADD and look at so many different kinds of vehicles at the same time, it helps narrow it down a little so see all the data that I care about lined up in a row. or column

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

the non-turbo 4gen legacy is slow as balllllllllllls

Hey now, wife's driving my 2.5 NA impreza after driving her 1.6l automatic mini for the last couple of years and she thinks it's a goddamn rocketship :rice:

I'm inclined to believe her, her car is slow as gently caress omg. Taking it to the collision shop today to see if insurance can't get a handle on whether or not the subframe is bent. USAA to the rescue :toot:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Enourmo posted:

does anyone else ever just make a spreadsheet to figure something out
I use spreadsheets for everything. My stupid google docs is 95% spreadsheets.

CommieGIR posted:

500 HP is not some holy number, and there are 250-350 HP motors that can wipe the slate of 500 HP motors. 500 HP doesn't really mean anything, and the whole "500 HP N/A now what?" :smuggo: poo poo is really old.
I'm not against LS engines or any swaps but I usually lean more towards making the car lighter than throwing horsepower at it. Having both is great but for the most part I'll stick with a modest amount of power in a car that is as light as I can reasonably get it. poo poo the project I'm planning for next winter would be cheaper if I just tossed in a LS engine or even a S52 but I'm stupid/stubborn and want to do something a little different. I'll take a 250hp rev happy I4 over a 500hp V8 for track play any day.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So even tho I should be clean by the time I have to take my piss test I am going through a bunch of paranoid stoner tricks just in case. One of which to do a colon cleanse. I started it last night before bed. You remember that scene in Jurassic Park with the giant mound of dinosaur poo poo? Yeah... God drat son.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So even tho I should be clean by the time I have to take my piss test I am going through a bunch of paranoid stoner tricks just in case. One of which to do a colon cleanse. I started it last night before bed. You remember that scene in Jurassic Park with the giant mound of dinosaur poo poo? Yeah... God drat son.
You know they're retarded stoner tricks that don't work but you're still doing them. The definition of stupidity and superstition.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe he just likes a well cleansed colon?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell maybe the guy overseeing the drug test does as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought stoner tricks involved blowing rings of smoke and whatnot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You muppet, I told you what to do to pass guaranteed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And before there is BUT BUT BUT ALL THINGS EQUAL!!!! - nothing is equal, that is exactly the point! Play up to the strengths of each motor, rather than thoughtlessly dump in something that sounds cool. You can never get all things equal so dont pretend you can - then use the best motor in the best shell for it's characteristics.

Apex seals is a sad bit of bullshit that keeps being thrown up - Rotarys are reliable and very tolerant to abuse, a dollop of oil is part of running a rotory (and it's not that much required). The not exactly common is unfortuantly true. But if you do the swap hooooooly poo poo is it worth is. And with one of those, the whole V8 might be faster in a straight line becomes highly dubious.

I might point out that the LS1 has a terrible reputation for reliabilty and longetivity in Australia. Oil consumption that beats a rotary, bores that wear if you blink at then, regular ancillary failures.... basically seen like Americans see rotarys. The Gen IV motors are seen as being a whoooooooole load better.
I still haven't heard how you would build a 350hp rotary that would scare a 500hp LSx in the same chassis. A couple hundred pounds in the engine bay isn't going to be enough on almost any modern vehicle.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

ilkhan posted:

I still haven't heard how you would build a 350hp rotary that would scare a 500hp LSx in the same chassis. A couple hundred pounds in the engine bay isn't going to be enough on almost any modern vehicle.

Are you hosting a telethon we don't know about?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The band is starting our indiegogo campaign soon and our video came back from the editing floor. Lots of stuff to cut (sittin on near 15 minutes right now) but jesus, we're stupid people.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

The ~*Soul of The Car*~ is good for 100-300hp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage posted:

You muppet, I told you what to do to pass guaranteed.

I love it when "muppet" is used as a derogatory.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

I love it when "muppet" is used as a derogatory.

Possibly the cleanest and least racist/sexist derogatory epithet I can think of, gives me a chuckle every time.

Also, MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I Googled your Quick Fix and tons of people failed using it. No thanks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
All this ls1/rotary talk is making me want to see a rotary engine in a corvette. Has this happened yet?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

TCC has a bunch of how-tos for this. A few lifetimes ago I used a couple and scored jobs, go check that out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Use somebody's clean piss, works every time. If you don't know anyone that's clean you're SOL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

On the drag strip? Sure.

In an actual race? No, the 350 HP motor might have you there. Arguing that throwing an LS at anything makes it superior and a guaranteed winner is ignoring the thousands of inline 4/5/6 cars that have competed and won multiple races. Because gearing, weight, handling, and all those other variables counts more in an actual race instead of a straight down the strip run.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm not against LS engines or any swaps but I usually lean more towards making the car lighter than throwing horsepower at it. Having both is great but for the most part I'll stick with a modest amount of power in a car that is as light as I can reasonably get it. poo poo the project I'm planning for next winter would be cheaper if I just tossed in a LS engine or even a S52 but I'm stupid/stubborn and want to do something a little different. I'll take a 250hp rev happy I4 over a 500hp V8 for track play any day.

Pretty much. Where's the challenge in just doing the same thing as everyone else? Where's the fun?

mariooncrack posted:

All this ls1/rotary talk is making me want to see a rotary engine in a corvette. Has this happened yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aerovette

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't believe you but ok. Got me a job at FedEx years ago.

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much. Where's the challenge in just doing the same thing as everyone else? Where's the fun?
Why buy a car if someone else is just going to buy the same car imo

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 8, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Why buy a car if someone else is just going to buy the same car imo

:smuggo: "500 HP Mate! 500 Horses! Natural Aspiration!"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

I am going to be lazy and hopefully but a mostly prepped car then just sell whatever engine they have in the thing. Of course I didn't realize this was the way to go until I had a full suspension setup sitting in my garage :bang: Oh well I'll be able to part that out and get my money back plus a bit. This will give me ~9 months to find a chassis that has some or all of the prep I want done. Seems pretty reasonable.

Found upside to lady friend moving away...I have nothing else to do after work so I'm making progress on the 928. If I can dedicate time to it this week and weekend I should have it ready to sell by next week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I am going to be lazy and hopefully but a mostly prepped car then just sell whatever engine they have in the thing. Of course I didn't realize this was the way to go until I had a full suspension setup sitting in my garage :bang: Oh well I'll be able to part that out and get my money back plus a bit. This will give me ~9 months to find a chassis that has some or all of the prep I want done. Seems pretty reasonable.

I'm in the middle of taking a Java course, so my Audi project has been pushed till later unfortunately, but I'm still hunting for parts.

Which brings up a good question: Where's the best place to get intake tubing?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm so glad my manager scheduled two hours for training us on revamping an entire process at the busiest part of the year. Couldn't wait two weeks until its dead to work out all the issues, no sir.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Its not a piss in a cup test, it goes out to a lab. And they have gotten a lot better at detecting synthetic urine over the years... from what I hear anyways.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just get someones pee. Or you know, don't light up when you are trying to get a job

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Like I said, I wasn't actively looking for a job when I stumbled across this opening. And I literally stopped the day I found the opening online.

Anyways my roommate didn't go to work again today and isn't answering my texts. I am gonna bang on his door until he answers when I get home. Starting to worry me...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Its not a piss in a cup test, it goes out to a lab. And they have gotten a lot better at detecting synthetic urine over the years... from what I hear anyways.

No poo poo it goes to a lab, what's your point? Did they take a hair sample? Because if not you had to piss into something.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Just get someones pee. Or you know, don't light up when you are trying to get a job

Or go to work for a school/the state, we don't drug test.. If we did we'd be out entire departments, mostly art/music/philosophy/english.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Like I said, I wasn't actively looking for a job when I stumbled across this opening. And I literally stopped the day I found the opening online.

Anyways my roommate didn't go to work again today and isn't answering my texts. I am gonna bang on his door until he answers when I get home. Starting to worry me...

Sounds like an excuse to delay your pias test to me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

My friend swapped an LS3 into his FD RX7 a few years ago and still has the 13B and transmission sitting in storage. A few months ago the engine in his 2006 M3 ate itself, so now he has a 65k mile e46 M3 with a bad engine and a good twin turbo rotary sitting on a palate in a garage.

He'd never do it, but a man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone who cares enough about sports to maybe commit suicide over the results of a single game is... wow. What kind of hosed up people do you live with?

• Locked thread