Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Oh yeah! I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I guess I made it a little confusing.

I meant the first expansion pack since Sims 2 that didn't include a new life state. The only one that didn't was Free Time. Genies weren't playable, they don't count as a new life state. Technically you can say Unicorns weren't for Sims 3 pets.

They might half-rear end it and say the new Life State was in cool kitchen stuff with plantsims.

[edit]
Well, it's odd. On twitter they said Supernatural creatures can make their own clubs, and you can have a club that is restricted just to ghosts, for example. This might mean they consider Aliens to be one of the two, or they're adding one but not talking about it yet.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 4, 2015

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Big Bug Hug posted:

Oh yeah! I stand corrected.

That means that aliens are too drat good at hiding! :tinfoil:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, it's odd. On twitter they said Supernatural creatures can make their own clubs, and you can have a club that is restricted just to ghosts, for example. This might mean they consider Aliens to be one of the two, or they're adding one but not talking about it yet.

GHOST CLUB gently caress YEAH

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Apparently Sims are more capable of jealousy now.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
New trailer for Get Toghether: DJ, dance floors & Synchronized club Dancing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98DDYOiVOY

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

limaCAT posted:

Needs gloving skill and a new elixir that makes their eyes big and changes their mood to very happy for 6 hours then depressed for 24 hours.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also worth mentioning, maybe: A new patch for the Origin version of The Sims 3 is coming out tomorrow. Maybe. It might be out now! Time is weird. Anyway, it adds the ability to turn expansions and stuff packs on and off in the Launcher, since TS3 is a well-programmed game that copes with having a whole ton of extra content piled atop of it super well.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

limaCAT posted:

Is there a term for enthusiasm that's so incredibly hollow that even the people saying it don't sound like they believe it? Also unless they let me do this in a synchronized group in the game I won't buy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbVRpRgHso

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

limaCAT posted:

I always wanted my sims to dance like NSYNC...

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Hey Goon Simmers! A brand new trailer for the highly anticipated new area of Windenburg in "The Sims 4: Get Together" expansion pack is now online! Watch it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBHtKDQqOuM

Not able to watch a video? No problem! What we're showcasing here is that Windenburg is jam-packed with things to do and places to see, including three Special Venues, two new Venue types, and some changes to Nightclubs and Bars. Here’s a look at the places your Sims will be able to explore in December!

The Bluffs. This secluded island is a picturesque and forgotten location that’s perfect for a group of Sims to get away to with no interruption. Facing the gorgeous Windenburg lake view is the bonfire where your Sims can cozy up or compare their best fire dance moves. There’s also a natural pool for swimming (or skinny dipping), and if you’re really patient, you just might catch a glimpse of Windenburg’s elusive sea monster.

The Ancient Ruins. This is by far the best spot for a private Dance Party. By day, it’s a serene and preserved area for the locals to take in, appreciate, and explore. But at night, the huge ruins walls are the perfect backdrop for DIY stage lights, fog, and laser beams that emit from the DJ booth. It’s got a small buildable lot by the party area in case you want to supplement your gathering with any other helpful or fun objects.

The Café Venue. Latte, anyone? At the new Café Venue, your group can order their drinks for here or to go. The new Barista NPC and Espresso Machine are at your service to serve up your favorite frothy beverage and flaky pastry. You can order a pre-work shot that puts you in the perfect emotion to go to work in.

Community Pool Venue. Cannonball!!! While the new Pool Venue type itself will be available for everyone when The Sims 4 Get Together releases, it really shines best with the fun new objects we made specific to this pack. We added a slew of cool new community and natural pool decorations, like pool lanes, new pool trims, and a handful of different pool water colors so you can jazz it up. The most exciting new pool object specific to The Sims 4 Get Together is the Jumping Platform: this object gives your Sims the elevation they need to impress their friends with a flawless backflip or endure a humiliating belly flop.

Nightclub and Bar Changes. To make Windenburg feel really unique, we made some changes to two of the pre-existing Venue types: Nightclubs and Bars. Now, you can visit European-inspired Discotheques and quaint Pubs. We’ve added a number of fun pub games like Darts, Foosball, and Don’t Wake the Llama to bolster the community vibe and keep your Sims hooting it up. There are even special themed nights almost every day of the week, so your Sim and their friends might find themselves in the midst of Ladies’ Night (or Knight Night).

The Von Ludendorff Estate. Windenburg’s prized von Ludendorff Estate is a historic and enchanted garden property that’s been up kept as a famous museum and tourist attraction. Its most notable landmark is the enormous and perfectly pruned hedge maze where Sims can get lost for hours. Oh, and don’t be surprised if you run into the former General who used to inhabit the location before its new owners took over – even after 100 years of being deceased, the old Prussian Quartermaster is still around and pursuing his goal of bringing a truly modern, eternal war to Windenburg.

Even more exciting than the things we put into the new World are the things you will build in it, something we think will be made even cooler thanks to the inclusion of two massive 64×64 lots in Windenburg. These are the biggest lots we’ve had in The Sims 4 to date, and we can’t wait to see what you do with them – and the rest of the World – when The Sims 4 Get Together comes out on 9 December, 2015! Happy Simming!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, I think I know what the new life state will be.

quote:

even after 100 years of being deceased, the old Prussian Quartermaster is still around and pursuing his goal of bringing a truly modern, eternal war to Windenburg.

Zombies. Unless they're going to make him a ghost.

[edit]
And in the trailer, there's a rather... green lady. May be a sim they made green, or a plantsim.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
They're adding another Alien in the form of Orion Slave Girls?

e: actually watched the trailer, and its probably just a plantsim.

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 19, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At first I thought this expansion was kind of lackluster, but there are quite a lot of new features that I'm actually excited about it now.

Finally, something to do at the pool besides just swimming around!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've always enjoyed "night life" style expansions, so I can't say I'm too disappointed so far. A bar and clubs revamp is right up there on my Greatest Hits list for things this game needs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Omnicarus posted:

The Von Ludendorff Estate. Windenburg’s prized von Ludendorff Estate is a historic and enchanted garden property that’s been up kept as a famous museum and tourist attraction. Its most notable landmark is the enormous and perfectly pruned hedge maze where Sims can get lost for hours. Oh, and don’t be surprised if you run into the former General who used to inhabit the location before its new owners took over – even after 100 years of being deceased, the old Prussian Quartermaster is still around and pursuing his goal of bringing a truly modern, eternal war to Windenburg.

Approves.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Warmachine posted:

I've always enjoyed "night life" style expansions, so I can't say I'm too disappointed so far. A bar and clubs revamp is right up there on my Greatest Hits list for things this game needs.

Yeah. The Cafe venue will be great too. I have a rad Simbucks lot I got off the gallery, but since it's a retail lot it's a bit of a pain to run and turning it into a bar or lounge would be weird.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, I think I know what the new life state will be.

Zombies. Unless they're going to make him a ghost.

[edit]
And in the trailer, there's a rather... green lady. May be a sim they made green, or a plantsim.

Plants AND zombies, calling it now.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Knight costume visible at 1:20. Sims Medieval 2 confirmed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Are you surprised that the EA celebrates a fascist leader and proponent of crimes against humanity, har har har

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The pre-expansion patch has been released.

64-bit is probably the 'biggest' thing in it, but there's so many patch notes this time.

One very odd one is:

Sims will no longer ignore the existence of the foundation when attempting to use a door along a diagonal wall on a raised foundation.
Creatures with the power of flight however, will be able to enter the door without issue… so long as they are able to open the door, exist in the game, and have the proper permissions to enter.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 4, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So vampires, then.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think this is the secret gem of the patch notes.

quote:

You will no longer be able to upload a lot to the Gallery if it is on fire.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Speaking of, is there a quick way to make burned/broken objects?I know you can make things dirty, but ghettos always took too clean.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I keep being impressed that they are still improving the game runtime. This is the most stable Sims game since the first one.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mycot posted:

I think this is the secret gem of the patch notes.

Jesus why didn't I think of that

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
It's cold outside, but hasn't snowed yet, so just the right mood for The Sims.

Anyone know of mods to make Sims more spontaneous or 'push' them towards doing pranks, arguing, romance interactions, ect.? Or increase the likelihood of emotions aside from Uncomfortable. I like leaving them alone and watching what happens, but so far the only thing that happens spontaneously is death by embarrassment.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Traits, pretty much. They don't have like a "trainable" AI, aside from some really basic things like claiming a bed, but they will be predisposed to certain things based on their traits. So, mean sims are more likely to be a dick autonomously, energetic sims won't stop doing pushups whenever you move the camera off of them, and that sort of thing. I'm not sure off hand if there's a trait that gets embarrassed spontaneously, but a lot of the traits will cause occasional spontaneous moods, especially upon waking up from a sleep.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Didn't the original Sims have trainable AI?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Segmentation Fault posted:

Didn't the original Sims have trainable AI?

They did the aforementioned bed-claim thing, but I can't recall other examples. Are you thinking of any partiuclar specific behaviors?

Man, now I'm getting a nostalgic whimsy for the first game. A few years ago I reinstalled it and tried to give it a whirl but the advances in the games since have made the first one pretty much unplayable.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

They did the aforementioned bed-claim thing, but I can't recall other examples. Are you thinking of any partiuclar specific behaviors?

Man, now I'm getting a nostalgic whimsy for the first game. A few years ago I reinstalled it and tried to give it a whirl but the advances in the games since have made the first one pretty much unplayable.

I remember reading that if you ordered Sims to do certain things they were more likely to do those things on their own, for example washing hands or such

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

Traits, pretty much. They don't have like a "trainable" AI, aside from some really basic things like claiming a bed, but they will be predisposed to certain things based on their traits. So, mean sims are more likely to be a dick autonomously, energetic sims won't stop doing pushups whenever you move the camera off of them, and that sort of thing. I'm not sure off hand if there's a trait that gets embarrassed spontaneously, but a lot of the traits will cause occasional spontaneous moods, especially upon waking up from a sleep.

I can confirm, mean sims are total dicks autonomously.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Any impressions of the expansion? I'm still at work so I can't check it out yet.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm surprised Sims 1 (maybe also 2?) hasn't popped up on GOG yet. They have the Sim City games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
TS1 still has that timeless art style. Still shots look amazing. But yeah the mechanics are really hard to come to terms with again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

greententacle posted:

I'm surprised Sims 1 (maybe also 2?) hasn't popped up on GOG yet. They have the Sim City games.
EA gave away The Sims 2 and all the expansions for free on Origin when they cut off customer support for it a good while back. I doubt you'll ever see them return to sale.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Huntsekker posted:

Any impressions of the expansion? I'm still at work so I can't check it out yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Dvo6GRy10
LGR has a review up. It sounds pretty good, if you've dreamt of cults like I always have.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sims 1 sims just look like clothespeg people to me, and at the beginning the game was HARD. I mean you really had to juggle your needs before you got enough money to buy better crap.

Sims 2 Sims actually look good, in that cartoony way, and the gameplay advances meant it was more fun making their lives hell or putting them in ridiculous situations. My main challenge in TS2 was basically I had too many loving households and because I was trying to keep them in synch when they interacted with each other, I don't think ANYONE died of old age. I think you could go back to that whereas the original does seem a bit too janky now.

Sims 3 made some improvements and fleshed out the systems more, but it took a bit of work in CAS to making your sims not look like they'd lurched out of the Uncanny Valley. And of course after a few expansions the loading times became horrendous.

I think 4 brought back more of the charm in the character design, made further refinements, while paring back a few things like the fully open world for the sake of performance etc. Whether it bloats out like all the previous games remains to be seen although they actually seem to be trying to avoid that this time around.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Huntsekker posted:

It adds a lot of pretty needed social stuff. I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm trying the 2-day demo of it, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how things are going. It's the small things that make a difference, like how you can group people together in actions and conversations rather than having everyone talk individually, which makes parties SO much easier.

Before I buy this, is the going to work expansion great, or is it just a timewaster? I accidentally started in the "empty lot" place so I'm curious how it will work out

E. Also, I know that the other places in the neighborhood are zoned, but do they still age along with you like in Sims 3?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 9, 2015