Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I rarely need anything stronger than alcohol to clean my glass cooktop. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My mother has a cooktop that's 2 gas burners and 2 induction or something like that. She remodeled the kitchen within the past 4 years and most of it came from IKEA. IKEA in the UK, mind.

FWIW, IKEA branded appliances sold in the US are pretty much all made by Whirlpool.

No idea in the UK though; I don't think Whirlpool is nearly as well known there?

Platystemon posted:

I rarely need anything stronger than alcohol to clean my glass cooktop. v:shobon:v

Have a glass gas range here - exposed burners, but the rest is glass.

Usually just takes a bit of glass cleaner for the majority of it (Stoner's Invisible Glass - it makes Windex look like water), as long as we clean it at least once a week. The actual grates get cleaned with fire (torch that poo poo.. outside). The surrounds around the burners/under the grates get soaked for hours then scrubbed about once or twice a year.

And we cook a LOT.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Whirlpool is a thing in the UK, Google indicates they do IKEA appliances in the uk, or at least used to.

To contribute: My 1980's built flat has no window in the bathroom, despite having outward facing wall. All 50 or so flats in the development are the same. I hope that's my flat's only crappy construction tale, because I'm buying it tomorrow :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

stump posted:

Whirlpool is a thing in the UK, Google indicates they do IKEA appliances in the uk, or at least used to.

To contribute: My 1980's built flat has no window in the bathroom, despite having outward facing wall. All 50 or so flats in the development are the same. I hope that's my flat's only crappy construction tale, because I'm buying it tomorrow :ohdear:

It's got a fan at least though right?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

There's a fist sized hole under the carpet at the top of my stairs in my brand new house.
What goes through somebody's mind when they carpet over that poo poo?

I'll find out what's in the hole tomorrow. Hope it's pirate treasure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xlevus posted:

There's a fist sized hole under the carpet at the top of my stairs in my brand new house.

"Out of sight, out of mind."

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
"gently caress, that looks expensive to fix".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

xlevus posted:

I'll find out what's in the hole tomorrow. Hope it's pirate treasure.

The answer to both questions is going to be "beer cans"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

xlevus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUJI7dKbOo&t=110s
Translation:
- "Oh poo poo. Now I've buried my cigarettes. It'll be noon if I rip it all up again. Well, what's a hammer good for?" BANG BANG BANG "Nobody'll notice."
- "Mr. Hahn, you lost your cigarettes in the salon. Say, have you maybe seen my little doggie?"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe it was a bad fix that was carpeted over, then someone stepped on it and pushed the patch out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

canyoneer posted:

The answer to both questions is going to be "poop"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The upstairs hall in my last place had a terribly creaky wonky uneven floor. When I pulled the carpet I found every single floor board was damaged in some way, my favourite being a board that has been cut away between the joists, put back in with only long bent nails holding it, cut again a couple of inches further in and finally fixed again with half an inch of laminated craft glue and newspaper. It took less than an hour and £20 to make it solid and new again.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Close. It turns out it was an error in the concrete casting, and they cast a poop-tube-hole in the wrong place (or, they placed the concrete the wrong way round).

Some guy is filling the hole with screed (?) now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, there was that one goon who had a house with a large knothole in the floor that went to his crawlspace (I guess it was an old house with no subfloor?) and he said he frequently would lie down on the floor with his wiener in the hole and piss into his crawlspace, and then get a laugh when he realized his dogs like to get in the crawlspace and maybe he was pissing on them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, there was that one goon who had a house with a large knothole in the floor that went to his crawlspace (I guess it was an old house with no subfloor?) and he said he frequently would lie down on the floor with his wiener in the hole and piss into his crawlspace, and then get a laugh when he realized his dogs like to get in the crawlspace and maybe he was pissing on them.

I think some cartoons or diagrams were made of this with his little dog getting pissed on. People can be really loving weird. That what's great about humans, to this goon sticking his dick in a hole in his house and pissing was totally normal and fun and a cute story to share on the internet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

What you guys don't piss-gently caress your houses because you secretly despise your pets?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I think some cartoons or diagrams were made of this with his little dog getting pissed on. People can be really loving weird. That what's great about humans, to this goon sticking his dick in a hole in his house and pissing was totally normal and fun and a cute story to share on the internet.

I miss the Bachelor Thread

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Plastik posted:

I miss the Bachelor Thread

The first couple of them were awesome, but then they just got lame.

"Drank a beer while my wife was out of town... WOOOOOOO!"
Arguing about "right" kinds of man-food, while not a single person was making GBS threads in a bucket or anything.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Wasabi the J posted:

Arguing about "right" kinds of man-food, while not a single person was making GBS threads in a bucket or anything.

There is a gc I worked with who is obsessed with humeposting aka instead of installing a stool in his ws he shits in a 5 gal with some sawdust in it, then covers it with some more sawdust like some hosed up litter box.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I remember reading one and almost dry heaving at some of the revolting poo poo people were doing or eating or living in, or just laughing at actually funny stories. It was a shocking expose of the dregs of humanity (unmarried people). Later it was these same dregs bragging about having a beer in a shower, or lol I slept in instead of going to class then I played a VIDEO GAME.

Quite a few were fit for this thread or the OSHA thread though. The poo poo people think is ok to build or do with no one there to tell them it's a very bad idea.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wasabi the J posted:

Be the change you want to see.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
From the China.jpg thread:

Haier posted:

The pipes in a lot of apartments, even if new and fancy, do not use the ... I think it's called U-trap? in the place, and the pipe from the toilet connects to the pipe from the shower. You get the most disgusting diarrhea stink coming out of the bathrooms, and if it's really poorly built, a strong wind outside blowing that pipe on the roof to help gravity push the poop down will increase the stink blowing out. Basically, up to 30 floors all share the same pipe, and whatever smells are in that shared pipe will creep out and blast your house with it, usually from the shower drain.
I'm lucky my last place had a squat toilet that also served as the shower drain and no such stinkies were had. I had one place in Shanghai with the bathroom right next to the bedroom and even with both doors closed, every morning at about 7am I would be woken from sleep with the worst taste in my mouth. It was the morning rush of flushes and showers and the smell would permeate everything with maximum thickness.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's not like a U trap is some fancy piece of technology. It's just a bend in a pipe that makes life so much less horrible. What the gently caress is wrong with china.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gonna go out on a limb and say $0.05 per u-bend x 3 billion really adds up. Plus, that whole living-in-cities-vs-the-loving-sticks thing doesn't have a long tradition.

E: also communism

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
No wonder their buildings randomly blow up. Sewer gas. That's so hosed up.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

I HATE my glass cooktop with a fiery passion. It sucks for cooking and sucks even worse for cleaning.
I swear every little boil-over leaves a stain that takes a good five mins to clean.
I hate mine too. I've come to the conclusion that glass cooktops were invented for the sole purpose of selling glass cooktop cleaner. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

New fridge coming tomorrow so I'm replacing the filter on the water line. Copper line between the pipe and the filter was clogged and i'm over trying to put new ends on a new pipe so braided steel line it is! To get the new line behind the counter, I had to pull out the dishwasher and I found this little guy.

The extension is 3 prong and the outlet under the sink is grounded so I don't know WTF they were thinking here. On the next Lowe's trip I'll get a proper longer cord and remove the extension.

That old tile is :nms:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
Reposting this Chinese plumbing story from a very long time ago:

Sagebrush posted:

When I lived in China my apartment shower had an electrical outlet in it. I guess it was for a shaver or something? It was on the far side of the stall from the showerhead, which was a good try at making it safe I guess, but if you angled the showerhead up you could make the water hit the outlet itself so no points.

Also the water heater was one of the on-demand gas (propane bottle, actually) types and it had no temperature setting that I could find, and it was pressure controlled, so it wouldn't actually ignite unless there was a certain amount of water flowing through it. The shower, on the other hand, had one of the handles that simultaneously controls pressure and temperature. Combined, it meant you had two settings:

- anywhere below about 70% of the handle travel, where there wasn't enough water flow through the heater to turn it on, so both pipes were cold and the shower was also cold
- anywhere above 70%, where there was enough water flow to turn the heater on, but now the ratio of hot:cold was too high and the water from the head was scalding hot

Depending on how you were feeling that day, you could either turn it to the lowest setting that would actually turn the heater on, point the showerhead up as far as it could go (hitting the electrical outlet on the far wall), and crouch down in the back (below the electrical outlet) and the water would have cooled enough by the time it hit you that it was tolerable; or you could flip it back and forth around the 70% setting every 30 seconds and try and keep it in the transitional point long enough to get clean. Or just shower in the cold.

:china:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Single lever shower handles like you describe, with no separate pressure control, are 100% terrible.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Run an extension cord to the shower head and use one of those electric heater things. :v:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Boogalo posted:

Run an extension cord to the shower head and use one of those electric heater things. :v:

You'd be surprised how common those on-demand water heaters in the shower stall are in the second and third world.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

From the China.jpg thread:

I think I read something about the spread of bird flu or something somewhere in China because of this. Basically, they could trace the spread of the disease based on the locations of buildings with these poo poo particle fountains.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Geirskogul posted:

Single lever shower handles like you describe, with no separate pressure control, are 100% terrible.

Yep. This is mine:

As a bonus, it's possible for shampoo bottles to fall off the hanging rack and hit the handle into the "flash scald" range on the left.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Slanderer posted:

I think I read something about the spread of bird flu or something somewhere in China because of this. Basically, they could trace the spread of the disease based on the locations of buildings with these poo poo particle fountains.

It def. happened with SARS. I remember it coming up in connection to something else more recently but I can't remember what disease it was.

Wikipedia posted:

On March 30, Hong Kong authorities quarantined estate E of the Amoy Gardens Apartment due to a massive (200+ cases) outbreak in the building. The balcony was completely closed for all uses and guarded by the police. The residents of the building were later transferred to the quarantined Lei Yue Mun Holiday Camp and Lady MacLehose Holiday Village on April 1 because the building was deemed a health hazard. Most of the cases were tied to apartment units with a north-western orientation that shared the same sewage pipe. According to government officials, the virus was brought into the estate by an infected kidney patient (type of kidney illness was not specified) who after he was discharged from Prince of Wales Hospital, visited and thus infected his elder brother living in a flat on the seventh floor. Through excretion, the virus spread through plumbing. One speculated theory that supported airborne transmission was that the virus was spread through dried up U-shaped P-traps in the plumbing and was blown by a maritime breeze to the ventilation of the estate's balcony and stairwells. It was confirmed that the virus can spread via droplets, but this latest outbreak made the officials question the possibility of spreading through the air.

vvv The cultural revolution was a hell of a thing.

Brass Key fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 8, 2015

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Huh, it's almost like sewage disposal is the single biggest breakthrough for stopping the spread of disease...

How does China not know this, though? Wasn't, like, the Xing dynasty making gunpowder and doing actual medicine while the English were still avoiding baths because they were afraid of plague?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Javid posted:

Yep. This is mine:

As a bonus, it's possible for shampoo bottles to fall off the hanging rack and hit the handle into the "flash scald" range on the left.

The new shower that our landlord just had installed is like this. It's full water pressure all the time, which is fine with me. I dislike that there is approx 1 degree of usable water, but that's life. The old shower with separate knobs for hot and cold had the same problem; if you didn't get the mix exactly right you were in for bad times. At least with the single lever, now that I've found the sweet spot I can just put it there every time.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
It's a combination of a massive population, rapid urbanization and corrupt contractors/government overseers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EKDS5k posted:

The new shower that our landlord just had installed is like this. It's full water pressure all the time, which is fine with me. I dislike that there is approx 1 degree of usable water, but that's life. The old shower with separate knobs for hot and cold had the same problem; if you didn't get the mix exactly right you were in for bad times. At least with the single lever, now that I've found the sweet spot I can just put it there every time.

Yep, and with a good shower head you get a fine shower every time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

Yep, and with a good shower head you get a fine shower every time.

Btw is there a reason my awesome shower head makes a SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH the whole time it reaches optimal temp, but the lovely one is dead silent, but terrible at being a shower head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

There is a gc I worked with who is obsessed with humeposting aka instead of installing a stool in his ws he shits in a 5 gal with some sawdust in it, then covers it with some more sawdust like some hosed up litter box.

Humanure is fine and safe so long as you compost it correctly and don't get loving lazy. Change the litter box every day. Keep your composting pits in the correct rotation. A year later your designated shithole gives you the finest gardening soil in the world, and you've not wasted thousands of gallons of drinkable water.