Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Combat is poo poo, too many competing constraints. You move along a 2D plane and attacks generally try to hit wherever you're pointing the mouse. This works in Nuclear Throne, but Nuclear Throne is top-down and you've got the same degree of freedom with your position as you do with your attacks. Any twin stick shooter works as an example really. In Starbound you're held down by gravity, so you can't move and attack fully in the same dimensions. This wasn't as big an issue in Terraria because the weapons you can get cover a wider area or get to ignore terrain or do something else to mitigate the targeting shittiness, and the enemies in general move much slower. The combat is simple, and the player characters are mobile enough that dodging can be accomplished by simply getting out of the way of an attack instead of being bound to a dedicated button. Players are much less floaty as well. Starbound has it worse again because of the more detailed sprites and bizarre paper doll pivot points, which play exceptionally poorly with the rolling terrain - even the world gen is a stumbling block, with every few feet outside of a town requiring the adoption of a new angle.

I really don't think it's salvageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Whoa................. guys.....

Starbound...?....................................

is still poo poo sry but at least the music is still good :shobon:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 8, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'd download and give it another try if not for that "damage on touch" mechanic you guys brought back.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cicadas! posted:

But beyond all that I have one simple, serious question that I want you to answer, if you honestly give a drat about having a real conversation here and you're not just drive-by dumping again.

Why is it, 3+ years into development, combat and other core systems of the game are still being changed and worked on? Other people have said it before, but it really bears repeating that these are CORE FEATURES that should really be hammered out in the first year of development or so, before you even think about worldbuilding or critters or other kinds of feature creep. I know you're just an art peon and you probably don't hear much from the rest of the team besides the daily feeding through the door of your asset creation fun-geon, but why does the development of this game still seem so helter-skelter and lacking in a unified direction, even after all this time? What is a typical day at the office like? Who makes the really big decisions? Is it democratic or do you just get passed down orders? Does reasonable, fun, and well thought-out poo poo get thrown out for not being "challenging" enough?

I don't care if you don't know much, just tell us something, anything, so that I know you're actually willing to engage in civil discourse and that you're not just "the fucker who shits updates and speeds away, cackling like a deaf meth-head" that I see you as right now.

I want to believe in you, Supernorn.

e: also how much footage in your trailers is actually admin mode

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

But beyond all that I have one simple, serious question that I want you to answer, if you honestly give a drat about having a real conversation here and you're not just drive-by dumping again.

Why is it, 3+ years into development, combat and other core systems of the game are still being changed and worked on? Other people have said it before, but it really bears repeating that these are CORE FEATURES that should really be hammered out in the first year of development or so, before you even think about worldbuilding or critters or other kinds of feature creep.

I think they already answered this, it boils down to the game being waaay more popular at the start of Early Access than anticipated. Instead of bucking down and working on the core stuff, they spent a lot of time making the game "wide" so there was something to do during EA. Then in an effort to keep the populace happy and build more hype, they kept piling smaller side stuff on top of that.

When it came time to really get into finish the game and working on the serious features, they realized they'd built a building with no foundation and more or less have been trying to untangle the rats nest and rebuild the core experience without everything toppling.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Hylotl, a race the game launched with, still do not have villages.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

Hey goons, stable is now out :)

What item or tech allows you to take no damage whatsoever from monster attacks, like that first image with the one spitting harmlessly right through you before showing off the hammer attack?

Do you get invincibility frames when charging the attack? Please let my foolish optimism turn out for once.

If no answer or snark one liner, I shall assume it was Dev Cheats to showcase new content as per usual, and not hella sweet QoL I frames.

As for shield changes. Do spray or scatter attacks from enemies no longer instantly destroy your whole shield bar due to counting every individual contact? That would be sweet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

What item or tech allows you to take no damage whatsoever from monster attacks, like that first image with the one spitting harmlessly right through you before showing off the hammer attack?

Do you get invincibility frames when charging the attack? Please let my foolish optimism turn out for once.

If no answer or snark one liner, I shall assume it was Dev Cheats as usual.

As for shield changes. Do spray or scatter attacks from enemies no longer instantly destroy your whole shield bar due to counting every individual contact? That would be sweet.

I've started paying closer attention to dev/publisher-released game videos, and have found that a remarkable number of of them are using a godmode of some sort. I wonder when it became a trend?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magmarashi posted:

I've started paying closer attention to dev/publisher-released game videos, and have found that a remarkable number of of them are using a godmode of some sort. I wonder when it became a trend?

when they realized that their combat sucks rear end and would make for a poor trailer to get people excited

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

It's always been a thing. It's way easier to show off the cool parts of your game if the lovely parts aren't getting in the way. It's exactly the kind of thing that can make a lovely game look good because they just show you the few good bits.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I've noticed it in games that run the spectrum from Bad to Great, is what I mean. Typically you can tell a game is bad regardless of godmode putting makeup on it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

Slime posted:

It's always been a thing. It's way easier to show off the cool parts of your game if the lovely parts aren't getting in the way. It's exactly the kind of thing that can make a lovely game look good because they just show you the few good bits.

Yeah. The issue isn't that they are using dev cheats to get a good image of their new things.

The issue is how much the devs and their "can do no wrong" style commenters act like they are legitimate representations of actual gameplay, and either ignore you or shitpost if you ask "Well, how does that turn out in normal gameplay?

Like their spike dungeon video. "Oh hey he just took more damage than my endgame max health in two seconds... oh he's still alive. Oh he took more damage... Oh they are jump cutting their way through the platforming spike dungeon now." And if you express concern about making it through a Dungeon that even the Devs can't with game genie turned on, you are just trolling because-

EDIT: Like, there is a difference between fudging things a bit to getting glamour shots for a nice trailer, and showing Mario stomping a spiny.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magmarashi posted:

i would never do such a thing, if only because i'm way too incompetent to code in debug modes

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
game... BAD *beats chest*

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

This guy gets it.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Afraid of Audio posted:

Upvoted, liked, and favorited

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Afraid of Audio posted:

quote = agree. don't quote = give ebola to starving african children

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'd download and give it another try if not for that "damage on touch" mechanic you guys brought back.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

The White Dragon posted:

quote = agree. don't quote = give ebola to starving african children

gently caress, whilst i DO agree.. not quoting is just plain tempting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will download and try it this very moment :)

:)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Prop Wash posted:

A page or two back they posted the dev log where they explained putting touch damage back in, but I'll sum it up for you: they admitted they had no idea how to make damage on attack fun

Can someone post/link this? If not for this one drat stupid thing, this sounds like it'd be a pretty good patch.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

XboxPants posted:

Can someone post/link this? If not for this one drat stupid thing, this sounds like it'd be a pretty good patch.

Cicadas! posted:

SPEAKING OF FEATURES

You remember how in early builds, enemies had touch damage, and it worked out to be really lovely because they're loving everywhere and all of them are faster than you?

Remember when, in a rare good decision, they took it out and made monsters only able to damage you when they were actively attacking, making combat slightly less terrible?

Now it's back, in pog form!

you loving mush-brained idiot

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're actually playing this new version post cool screenshots of new poo poo (new poo poo also includes things from the previous patch or just recently in general) I will put the screenshots in the OP and credit you

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're actually playing this new version post cool screenshots of new poo poo (new poo poo also includes things from the previous patch or just recently in general) I will put the screenshots in the OP and credit you

Best I got

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

You're a good mensch, so I will do that for you.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
I remember two years ago or some poo poo having a conversation with a friend about how cool and smart and interesting it was that they didn't have touch damage, and that they relied on making the combat actually reflexive and what have you

now, seven and a half character wipes after the very last character wipe, they're putting touch damage in?

I think somebody at the chucklefish office took some touch damage to the brain

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Best I got

thank you, I will update the OP when I get some more images and read more into the patch to get a better grasp on all the changes

Dandywalken posted:

You're a good mensch, so I will do that for you.

appreciate it, homie

e: if at all possible try and get stuff from the latest update like vehicles and new mini-biomes, and build houses with the new furniture

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 8, 2015

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

DeveloperTiyuri 4 points 10 days ago
Damage on touch allows for a greater level of variety and a tighter gameplay experience given the context of the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what game has ever been improved by touch damage

I can't think of a single time touch damage has enhanced my gameplay (or has ever done anything than make my mumble "damnit" or "fuckin' stupid")

Someone post an example of good touch damage that isn't from a time where it was technologically impossible/difficult to make non-touch-damage enemies or where it's a situation where a dude is covered in spikes or fire.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I can't think of a single time touch damage has enhanced my gameplay (or has ever done anything than make my mumble "damnit" or "fuckin' stupid")

Someone post an example of good touch damage that isn't from a time where it was technologically impossible/difficult to make non-touch-damage enemies or where it's a situation where a dude is covered in spikes or fire.

Mario, I guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Like you bring up, I think the lack of messaging is a big part of the problem. Enemies that are gonna hurt you need to be spiky or flamey or something. I don't like touch-damage as a universal rule, but I don't think it's universally bad, either. Like, Tiy mentions wall-crawling enemies as an example of an enemy that kinda needs touch damage to work and is a simple, decent kind of opponent. I'd agree with that. The system just needs more nuance. Not every single enemy NPC and creature needs to be hurt on touch. Or, the hurt-on-touch damage could be much reduced compared to the "lunge" attack damage. If it does hurt on touch, it should be obvious, like spiky or flamey. Knockback-on-touch can be a problem when you're in a cave with unsafe terrain, not sure how that should be fixed, but surely there's some solution.

Well, not that I think Chucklefish is gonna do any of that, mind you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got a few screenshots of the Challenge Room thing. Is that new? It was pretty easy (but its super early game, the one I found) and it gave some pretty cool loot surprisingly.

I'll post the screenshots this evening, I'd like to get some more rather than just 3 of random gear and a doorway.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Nice. Starbound finally doesn't crash when I run the DirectX version. But it also doesn't launch through Steam anymore.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've not played since they removed sandmining

have they brought back sandmining yet?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can never ride the sand dunes again in Starbound for it was a Good Thing and here at Chucklefish they just can't have that.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I was one of the few people really excited for the combat update because the weapons look cool, but now I'm not even going to play it because of the touch damage.

Reddit is a pretty big starbound hugbox and even the people there hated it. Why the hell is it still in?

-edit-

Scratch that, even the people on the official starbound forums dislike it.

neosloth fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 9, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

superstepa posted:

-edit-

Scratch that, even the people on the official starbound forums dislike it.

Which is impressive. They like basically everything from slow backwards walking to energy lockdown to needing to stop to water your plants multiple times when you spend most of your time offworld.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The thing about touch damage that makes me lol the most is that, were it simply a bad decision it would be par for the course and it wouldn't be that big of a deal compared to a lot of the other problems.

But they're not putting touch damage into the game, they're putting touch damage back into the game. It was there, and then it wasn't, and now they feel like it should be there again.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

have they added a way to change where you teleport onto a planet yet or bookmark planets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Planet Bookmarks are in, I believe. As for changing beam-down point, don't think you can do that, but they added teleporters you can place and then Chucklefished them the hell up. They're a bit of a pain to use.

• Locked thread