Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What about the sex scene in the expansion where the main romanceable person in the expansion - Shani starts vomiting during. Now that had to put a damper on people enjoying it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pellisworth posted:

I think some of the defensiveness may be because of a desire to distinguish the bad female objectification in Wicher 1 from what we get in Witcher 3, which is a lot better.

You have the prostitutes with a little more depth who are shown to largely hate their lives, the Nilfgaardian twins in Novigrad, the result of trying to romance both Yen and Triss, strong female main characters. The gratuitous titties and female objectification are still there, but I think Witcher 3 is a step in the right direction and in some cases seems to be trying to actively subvert the shallow "push button for pixel sex" interactions.

Most definitely this. I'd say Witcher 3 is the best game on the market right now at handling this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism. If this was the worst the industry ever got, I don't think we'd have very many complaints, but I also don't think it means we shouldn't try to keep improving from here.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of expansion stuff felt likes jabs at the company's own quirks, which I thought was neat. A little better handled than Roche complaining about Ves at least. :v:

Crappy Jack posted:

Most definitely this. I'd say Witcher 3 is the best game on the market right now at handling this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism. If this was the worst the industry ever got, I don't think we'd have very many complaints, but I also don't think it means we shouldn't try to keep improving from here.

Pretty much. The industry is getting a ton better at stuff like this, but the game's actual quality doesn't suffer just because a few people on a forum take issue with parts of it.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 8, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This is a big rear end post but it has a lot of common issues so I'm gonna answer them since i bet someone reading it has the same question.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I never have a feeling I'm getting stronger really. I think I'm level 7 now, put some points into my light attack and a thing that gives me a few more HP. I found an axe that's a bit better than my sword, but that's about it. I have pages of crafting materials yet everyone I meet isn't the right type of craftsman to make things, or I don't have the materials needed, or I can't afford it. Armour I find is usually on par or worse with what I have. I have all these gems or what ever that are supposed to slot into weapons but I haven't found any weapons that have slots, and all the gems just do something like "Increases damage by 1%".

You have missed a few things that can help your combat power. The axes are really not meant to be something you use for any length of time. There are armorers and swordsmiths. The first 2 swordsmiths are in the nilfgardian camp in white orchard, and in oreton. There were 2 green "witcher gear" diagrams you could find in white orchard to give you a steel and silver sword much better then the ones you started with. Its worth it to find out what you need, and go get it from either the required enemies, or just buy it from a blacksmith if need be to save time.

On top of this, the game is the most difficult early on, before you gain full access to upgraded signs and the like, starting around level 12.

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/blacksmith-locations/

Baronjutter posted:

I also never have any money because food and drink + equipment repairs are more expensive that the money I make fighting monsters. I avoid all fights I can because I don't seem to get anything other than some brains or monster parts that sell for almost nothing while I chew up food trying not to die and then my armour and swords are all broken.

Are you fighting monsters and enemies that are at/below your level or above? This game punishes you for fighting monsters of a higher level then you are. Its perfectly doable once you are more practiced, but each hit hurts a lot.

If you are getting hit so much that you are powering through that much food, try practicing the dodging methods. There is a quick sidestep and a roll. The sidestep works for most situations, especially things like the drowners quick swipes. Sidestep right at them, turn, and nail them with your own attacks. The roll is more useful against the big monsters you fight on contracts. It gets you much further out of the way.

If you are having trouble, use Quen a lot, its a shield that completely protects you from one hit. Combine this with the skill you can unlock that grants you stamina regen when wearing medium armor and you can spam signs with impunity.

Baronjutter posted:

I finally figured out that you can meditate for an hour and get 100% healed. I wish I had passive healing like Ciri did. I also finally figured out how to make and use a health potion. The system where you can only ever have 3 at a time but spirits replenish them every time you meditate is... odd, but I can see how it works from a pure gameplay perspective.

Think of it as Geralt making a very concentrated amount of the potion, and then drinking a dilution made with alcohol a tiny amount of the potion. There is a passive healing skill, one of the gold ones.

Baronjutter posted:

The crossbow is super hard to use and seemingly useless. I can't even use it to "aggro" an enemy over to me. Hold down the mouse wheel then release to shoot? The controls really feel like a bad console to PC port, which I guess is every big budget game these days.

The crossbow is a novelty in this game and is mostly used for fighting underwater enemies, and airborne enemies. It drops them to the ground so you can attack them.

Baronjutter posted:

I do though like that fights are hard if you're dumb and rush into them. A single mistake can take off half your health, and reading up on the enemy's weaknesses is key. But so often you fight things before you can read about them. I had a lot of trouble with that well ghost lady, finally watched a youtube where they plopped down some magic trap. I had never been using any powers other than the magic shield because I deemed the interface too bad and the utility of the spells too unknown. I still haven't quite figured out oil or what a mutagen is.

For any contract the game gives you the things the monster is weak to in the bestiary. Oils are a buff for your sword against specific enemy types. So if you know you are about to fight drowners, slap some necrophage oil on your silver sword and get a 10% damage boost.

Mutagens are something monsters drop. They are used in this game to give a bonus to your skills. They are color coded, so if you put a red mutagen in that slot to the right of your active skills, it gives you a 5% damage bonus for each combat skill in that section. Blue gives sign intenity aka how much damage the fire spell does or how long the yrden trap lasts. Green gives health.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

What about the sex scene in the expansion where the main romanceable person in the expansion - Shani starts vomiting during. Now that had to put a damper on people enjoying it too much.

This is probably someone's fetish.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

This is probably someone's fetish.

Don't kinkshame, this is also the game that brought you a stuffed unicorn and Whoreson Junior.

You also can't tell me you wouldn't hit at least one of those Crones :allears:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Disgusting Disney poo poo, CDPR has lost touch with what the witcher is......................................................

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Palpek posted:

Haha that must be based on choices, I didnt get that

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

Haha that must be based on choices, I didnt get that

It is, if you bring her flowers, you have a lovely evening together. If you bring her booze, you have most of a lovely evening, right up until the point Shani starts puking over the side of your boat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pellisworth posted:

I think some of the defensiveness may be because of a desire to distinguish the bad female objectification in Wicher 1 from what we get in Witcher 3, which is a lot better.

You have the prostitutes with a little more depth who are shown to largely hate their lives, the Nilfgaardian twins in Novigrad, the result of trying to romance both Yen and Triss, strong female main characters. The gratuitous titties and female objectification are still there, but I think Witcher 3 is a step in the right direction and in some cases seems to be trying to actively subvert the shallow "push button for pixel sex" interactions.

Yeah the full frontal is part of it but the series is also still living down the sex cards. Once a reputation is established it's hard to shake.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it still full frontal when no one has genitals?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Is it still full frontal when no one has genitals?

There's a mod to remove Geralt's underwear. Even his Ken doll bulge is sexy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Comte the reason Geralt doesn't have a dong is because no one had the balls to have little green spheres glued to their dicks for mo-cap purposes c/d

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Comte, is Geralt circumcised? This is very important, tia.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
When that peasant in Velen talks about their cutting I legit thought they meant the Crones collected foreskins the first time through before I saw the giant hair tapestry

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Oh poo poo thank you, I kinda assumed they were like being bled for the Crones or some poo poo but drat the hair makes way more sense and I think is even mentioned.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, The Sharmat self-banned over TW 3 titty talk.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Palpek posted:

Titties make the economy go round.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

Good, a fine way to go

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is a big rear end post but it has a lot of common issues so I'm gonna answer them since i bet someone reading it has the same question.

Thanks for all this, I'm getting a lot better at combat at least now. 3 drowners used to just send me into a cycle of being stunned until I died, now I can sometimes fight a group of them without even getting hurt. Also realizing meditation is a thing and I can heal that way rather than eating a ton of food changed a lot too. I'd be chowing down on food after every fight.

I guess I need to really investigate how to get better gear. This game doesn't really spoon feed you anything, you have to dig and figure a lot out on your own.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

just had this happen on PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkg0aOeb-tY

:eyepop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

you are bad at horses

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just hope it's the game and not a problem with my PS4 since I already had other fuckery happen (but on Witcher 3 only)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Palpek posted:

I don't blame him really

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Mystic Stylez posted:

I just hope it's the game and not a problem with my PS4 since I already had other fuckery happen (but on Witcher 3 only)

There are a fair few bugs to be expected in a world this size. I've run into a few similar ones on the PC (precisely the falling through the world issue).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad I brought this thread back and it drove someone to forums suicide. Steam sales effect us all.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So... The first time you fight a Wild Huntsman, are you supposed to only be able to hit him once immediately after the sorceress hits him, then hop dodge away to max range? He can't be blocked without getting stunned and chopped, can't be hit without a spell stunning him because he immediately counters and chops you, and cannot be parry-countered at all, which is hard enough to do on regular enemies. You can't even use the longer lunge dodge because the windup is too slow. I beat him but not before eating all my healing items. Surely the combat isn't going to be like this forever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So... The first time you fight a Wild Huntsman, are you supposed to only be able to hit him once immediately after the sorceress hits him, then hop dodge away to max range? He can't be blocked without getting stunned and chopped, can't be hit without a spell stunning him because he immediately counters and chops you, and cannot be parry-countered at all, which is hard enough to do on regular enemies. You can't even use the longer lunge dodge because the windup is too slow. I beat him but not before eating all my healing items. Surely the combat isn't going to be like this forever.

That was a slog of a fight, I'd just shield up, dodge spazz, wait for him to be distracted by the lady then hit him a few times and run away or take a hit on my shield, then run away and get my shields back up. Over and over. Then when you think you've almost won he heals and gets a bunch of dogs, 3 times. I used all my healing potions and a good chunk of my food though, but mostly only because I was impatient near the end and just wanted him to die so I could save and eat dinner. (gently caress the game not letting you save when ever you want, I don't know if that's for legit technical reasons or bullshit "game balance" reasons)

Is there cooking in the game? Can I turn this raw meat into not raw meat that heals more or something?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Maybe it's a timing issue? I come from playing Bloodborne and Dark Souls, which has parrying successfully done during the enemy "damage" frames during attacks, and dodges that get you away but also have i-frames that can be abused to dodge right through an attack and keep swinging. Neither appears to be present here.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Palpek posted:

Have there been heated discussions on the internet about how that was actually a criminal act (in US law, at least), because she was clearly drunk, as evidenced by the drinking video and vomit, and therefore could not legally consent -- but Geralt was not drunk, since we know from other in-game effects when he's drunk?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I remember that fight just being a bit of a slog too. There's one similar Wild Hunt baddie you'll fight towards the end of the main quest who has really predictable attack patterns and a lot of players find him a bit tedious as he's a huge sack of HP with nothing really super effective against him. You just gotta time your dodges and attacks for a fairly long fight.

Those are exceptions to the rule rather than something you should expect to commonly pop up. Maybe there's a better strategy for the Wild Hunt dude you fight with Keira but idk.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Maybe it's a timing issue? I come from playing Bloodborne and Dark Souls, which has parrying successfully done during the enemy "damage" frames during attacks, and dodges that get you away but also have i-frames that can be abused to dodge right through an attack and keep swinging. Neither appears to be present here.

You can spec into an ability that reduces damage during dodges by up to 100%, but there aren't i-frames no.

I personally don't use parry a ton but :shrug:

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention, when an enemy is attacking their name bar will flash when you can counter-attack. There's a difference between blocking where you are holding a parry waiting for an incoming attack, and the quick counterattack where you tap parry when their name is flashing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 9, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Palpek posted:

Death by banme. He didn't deserve it.

At least he didn't die in his bed.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It is a slog, but I don't know if the cause is you being low level, him being extraordinarily tough or your sword wearing out on prior enemies - especially that golem. I know last is partial at least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't played the previous games but is there a reason the Witcher only seems to get involved with sorceresses? Every lady in the game seems to be a mage of some sort. Why isn't one of your love interests a smith, or a warrior, or a anything other than a magic user? Just the sort of circles he keeps and the work he does?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Why is it so difficult to get lesser red mutagens while I have like 30 of blue and green ones? Where can I find some?

Edit: VVVVV :bravo: CDPR

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 9, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mystic Stylez posted:

Why is it so difficult to get lesser red mutagens while I have like 30 of blue and green ones? Where can I find some?

Prayer.

Like seriously I don't think I got my greater red mutagen until I was near the end of the game.

Good luck.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mystic Stylez posted:

They drop from alghouls early in the game. There is a quest where you can kill some alghouls around Velen somewhere.

Once you get to Skellige the higher level drowners drop them fairly often. I spent some time farming this one beach with half a dozen drowners or so and was able to get all greaters out of it.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

Prayer.

Like seriously I don't think I got my greater red mutagen until I was near the end of the game.

Good luck.

Same. I had a fuckton of green and blue, but it wasn't until I hit like level 25 that I actually had enough reds.

Also, is there any way to sell mutagens? I have a ton of them but literally no use for them.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

On an unrelated note, it's funny Geralt is more fragile to falling from height than the character in loving And Yet It Moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't played the previous games but is there a reason the Witcher only seems to get involved with sorceresses? Every lady in the game seems to be a mage of some sort. Why isn't one of your love interests a smith, or a warrior, or a anything other than a magic user? Just the sort of circles he keeps and the work he does?

Normal ladies don't tend to get involved with witchers. The most they'll do is gently caress them but on account of witchers being sterile and nomadic, they aren't very good husband material. Also, filthy mutants etc etc. If a human woman DID marry a witcher, it wouldn't really turn out that fab anyway since witchers age really slowly. Eventually, she'd die of old age provided she didn't die of something else first.

Sorceresses have none of these problems. They are also ageless and sterile and normal people also distrust them. The nomad thing might be a slight hitch but sorceresses can teleport so that really isn't a big deal.