Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Deport The Irish posted:

Real people sometimes say things that aren't the literal definition of the words they use.

The Ottomans are literally Hitler.

I wonder if a Vinland LP would be cool to do on the forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Sperglord Firecock posted:

No poo poo everyone knows Ottomans Hitler started WW2

I think the LP would depend a lot on how your RNW shook out. Vinland on its seems just as boring as the standard-fare NA natives, but the RNWs can get wacky enough to make up for that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Deport The Irish posted:

No poo poo everyone knows Ottomans Hitler started WW2

I think the LP would depend a lot on how your RNW shook out. Vinland on its seems just as boring as the standard-fare NA natives, but the RNWs can get wacky enough to make up for that.

I mean yeah, duh. I'd cycle through a bunch of RNWs to find a really neat one.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Trujillo posted:

Are you setting up trade posts? I ask because it's not an obvious feature but as a merchant republic you can designate one province in each trade node to be a trade post and you get a big boost to the trade power from that province. You'll want to set them up in provinces with centers of trade or estuaries and then build the marketplace chain of buildings on those and every other CoT/estuary.

It's hard to tell but it looks like the Pope controls Ferrara? You'll want to try to control every province in the node you're collecting in if you can, especially any special trade provinces so that way you can send your light ships to pull trade to it instead of needing them to help collect. If they do control it try to take it from them in a moment of weakness.

And yeah, light ships aren't as important in the early game. For now it might be more profitable to send them to privateer Sevilla so you can get a piece of the gold fleets. When production and trade modifiers go up with tech and more of the world gets colonized trade value will go up and having a huge light ship fleet will pay for itself and more but it's probably too early for that. In my last mp game I had 1000 light ships by building the tier 2 dock everywhere and stacking all the possible naval forcelimit modifiers. You can make ludicrous trade income that way.

You would have a distant overseas penalty if you went straight for Alexandria but you're already set up pretty well just to take the whole east coast of the Med if you want. You'd be able to pull even more trade from Aleppo/Alexandria and any land you take in East Africa wouldn't be distant overseas. If you do that you can fill the whole east coast of Africa with docks and get the full forcelimit bonus out of it. It's a lot of low development provinces but it's perfect for doing just that.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I do have trade posts set up in Constantinople, Ragusa and Crete (for the Alexandria node) I think? I guess I could put one in Gorz too since its in the Wien node.

I'll try privateering in Sevilla, tho I'm allied to Spain so that might piss them off. I do plan to steal some more territory from the pope as soon as my AE cools down. I just fought the 30yr war and won for team Protestant.

Is there a way for me to set up a vassal state around Alexandria and make them forward trade for me? Then I could just feed them Mamluk territory and I wouldn't need to convert them all to Protestant.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Play as a horde, raze literally every province.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I would do horde, but can they even build ships? That's a major dealbreaker. The narrative I had in mind doesn't involve so much norse invasions as it involves dealing with the consequences of a massive ribbon of land with a narrow strait running from pole to pole and the natural consequences that has for water pressure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My "Nord America" game is in a RNW that is situated in such a way I've been able to block European expansion. So I'm going to conquer all that land, and probably move in to Australasia, then go to war with Scandinavia for reconquest.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I had a RNW with Vinland, Generic Mega Native Empire and Yangzhou (Yingzhou?) going and decided to load in and set things going for turbo-colonize mode.

The "Crimson Empire" which is alarmingly green wiped out the latter Confucians, but Vinland is just being incredibly annoying with its lack of spawning colonial nations and border gore and incessant need to make me a rival.

I am legitimately terrified of the green blob however. It's one of the few random permutations I got out that isn't weird in some respect. I've generated quite a few that are great but will have something random like an entire continent three provinces across that is the spine of the world or something ridiculous right next to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would do horde, but can they even build ships? That's a major dealbreaker. The narrative I had in mind doesn't involve so much norse invasions as it involves dealing with the consequences of a massive ribbon of land with a narrow strait running from pole to pole and the natural consequences that has for water pressure.

They can. See: Crimea.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Huh, neat.

So I'm running into a sliiight problem with my RNW start that I want to do, does anyone know how to cut off vision of areas?

I'm trying to cut off vision to the massive ribbon of doom.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't know the answer, but what seed did you get/use for the ribbon of doom? I've been trying to get that forever.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
.... There's seeds?

Wow, I didn't even know that. Where are the seeds at? But yeah, I've gotten the ribbon of doom multiple times. Super fun to play on because there's a lot of mountain terrain provinces, which means a pretty high chance for gold.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Argh, I just had a bunch of Lollard heretics take London, and even though I beat them down (with a shitload of mercenaries, meaning I had to go into big debt), by the time we chased them down and finished them off, we didn't have enough time left to siege London back into our hands before they enforced their demands.

That seems a little silly, they were just holed up in the Tower or whatever, being besieged by 25,000 people, with no other provinces and no remaining soldiers. But they held the capital long enough so they got to enforce Lollard tolerance. :saddowns:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

.... There's seeds?

Wow, I didn't even know that. Where are the seeds at? But yeah, I've gotten the ribbon of doom multiple times. Super fun to play on because there's a lot of mountain terrain provinces, which means a pretty high chance for gold.

If you open your savegame, it supposedly tells you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sistergodiva posted:

So what is the go-to idea group for military? I have a 24 force limit as Byzantium, have trade and economic ideas and want something that can help against the Ottomans.

Offensive seems nice for better generals, some discipline, siege and force limit, but the recruitment time seems kinda lame.

I guess quantity would be nice since I have pretty low force limit now, but it feels more like it's going to be a waste later, rather just build up my force limit with buildings I think.

Quality is maybe nice, but not sure how much the 10% infantry and cavalry bonuses actually does, but the navel stuff could be nice to help me beat their navy.

The moral from defensive seems nice and the fort maintenance is going to save a bit of gold, but otherwise it seems kinda bad.

Unfortunately the answer to all of these is basically "Yes." Military ideas are some of the most balanced ones, so it really just depends on how you specifically want to go about conquering land. 24 forcelimit isn't a lot so my gut reaction is take Quantity, but that might not be necessary if you think you can take a bunch more land without needing more troops. If that's the case then Offensive would serve you better. I'm a real big fan of Quality, but it's better in the late game as the combat ability bonuses don't mean as much when you're fighting with some lovely early game troops. Defensive's pretty good but it requires you to play super defensively to take full advantage, and I just find that too boring most of the time.

As for army comp, that also just depends on what your nation is and what you can afford. If you hover over your cavalry it'll tell you what percentage your cav should make up of your army, at least theoretically. As a general rule of thumb, cavalry rule the early/mid game thanks to Shock being the most important stat, while infantry slowly overtakes them as the game goes on and as Fire becomes more of A Thing. Artillery starts off pretty bad and eventually becomes very powerful, but it's still useful in the early game to speed up sieges. If you want a blanket answer for army comp, then get as many cavalry as you can afford, fill the rest of your front line with infantry up to your maximum combat width (see what it is on the military screen) then fill your entire back line with artillery. Keep in mind that doesn't factor in things like average province supply limit, so chances are you're going to be running with a much smaller version for most of the game.

I go 8/4 inf/cav in the early game, 10/2 if I can't afford 4 cav, 4/8 if my tech group allows it or full cav if I'm horde. I add 4 cannons if I can afford them when they first become available just for the siege bonus, and then throw in 4 more when I get that first major artillery fire tech. Again, that's super generalized and hardly optimal for every single situation, but that's my usual template for armies and it's worked out well so far. There are certainly a million other approaches and if you watch someone like DDRJake play you'll see that he just kind of gets troops whenever he needs them and/or can afford them and it works out just fine for him (most of the time).

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 8, 2015

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So if I wanted to start playing this, with all of the DLC added, how the hell would I go about learning how to play without reading through a billion pages of patch notes or whatever?

Does the tutorial even work with all of the DLC added to give you an understanding of everything? I remember even when the game first came out being fairly confused by just the new trade system.

In summary, I am dumb, help me get into this game in a low effort way while still giving me some chance of understanding the options and doing more than just clicking random buttons.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

VDay posted:

Good post about military ideas

This is all true, but if you are having trouble assessing your individual situation, a good rule of thumb is defensive > offensive == quantity > quality > aristocratic > naval lol nope

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

VDay posted:

Unfortunately the answer to all of these is basically "Yes." Military ideas are some of the most balanced ones, so it really just depends on how you specifically want to go about conquering land. 24 forcelimit isn't a lot so my gut reaction is take Quantity, but that might not be necessary if you think you can take a bunch more land without needing more troops. If that's the case then Offensive would serve you better. I'm a real big fan of Quality, but it's better in the late game as the combat ability bonuses don't mean as much when you're fighting with some lovely early game troops. Defensive's pretty good but it requires you to play super defensively to take full advantage, and I just find that too boring most of the time.

As for army comp, that also just depends on what your nation is and what you can afford. If you hover over your cavalry it'll tell you what percentage your cav should make up of your army, at least theoretically. As a general rule of thumb, cavalry rule the early/mid game thanks to Shock being the most important stat, while infantry slowly overtakes them as the game goes on and as Fire becomes more of A Thing. Artillery starts off pretty bad and eventually becomes very powerful, but it's still useful in the early game to speed up sieges. If you want a blanket answer for army comp, then get as many cavalry as you can afford, fill the rest of your front line with infantry up to your maximum combat width (see what it is on the military screen) then fill your entire back line with artillery. Keep in mind that doesn't factor in things like average province supply limit, so chances are you're going to be running with a much smaller version for most of the game.

I go 8/4 inf/cav in the early game, 10/2 if I can't afford 4 cav, 4/8 if my tech group allows it or full cav if I'm horde. I add 4 cannons if I can afford them when they first become available just for the siege bonus, and then throw in 4 more when I get that first major artillery fire tech. Again, that's super generalized and hardly optimal for every single situation, but that's my usual template for armies and it's worked out well so far. There are certainly a million other approaches and if you watch someone like DDRJake play you'll see that he just kind of gets troops whenever he needs them and/or can afford them and it works out just fine for him (most of the time).

Thanks a lot! I went with quality, since I wanted a bit of the naval game also.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don't know when quality got army trad but I love it now. I don't even care if the crazy artillery ability policy was nerfed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SlyFrog posted:

So if I wanted to start playing this, with all of the DLC added, how the hell would I go about learning how to play without reading through a billion pages of patch notes or whatever?

Besides the standard and less-than-helpful advice of "just start playing" I highly recommend looking up some youtube videos. I can't tell based on your post if you're new to EU4 in general or just the DLC, but if it's the former then this tutorial series will have some decently useful info in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-eHcQKZHg&list=PLH-huzMEgGWBz8XAD77YTwMe6wx-Ql_Ao Obviously some of the stuff will be a little outdated and the interfaces for a lot of things will be different, but the core concepts of "This is why you'll want to do this" should still apply.

Besides just watching straight up tutorials I also highly recommend looking up specific playthroughs. Arumba's got a bunch, but I'd specifically recommend watching DDRJake for those once you feel like you have a decent handle on how the game actually works. Alternatively, just search youtube for "EU4 <country you want to try playing as>" and watching the most recent LP you can find of someone who isn't insufferable or too obnoxious. Watching someone else play can be super helpful because you get a sense of how to go about doing things, like what you should do if you want to invade your neighbor. That kind of stuff isn't super obvious when you first start playing so watching someone go through the paces and see them either succeed or make a mistake will help your own play.

Other than videos, the main advice I'd give is to pick a short, medium, and long-term goal whenever you start a new game. That sounds like some lovely life coach advice, but it really does help when you're new to the game because it helps you focus so that you don't get so overwhelmed by the million systems in the game. For example if you're playing as England start by trying to conquer Ireland, then form Britain, then either colonize or turn to Europe and try to mess with France/the HRE.

Other than that, yeah just play and keep the wiki open on a second monitor so you can constantly look up systems as you bump into them. Also don't be afraid to ask any dumb question you have in here. A bunch of us have like 500+ hours in this goofy game and we still don't know poo poo about certain topics because each playthrough is potentially completely unique and the game keeps changing/evolving.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

VDay posted:

I can't tell based on your post if you're new to EU4 in general or just the DLC, but if it's the former then this tutorial series will have some decently useful info in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-eHcQKZHg&list=PLH-huzMEgGWBz8XAD77YTwMe6wx-Ql_Ao

Thanks for this. If it is helpful, what I am "new to" is a little grey.

I've dabbled with EU since EU1. But by that, I really mean that I have dabbled. Never finished an entire game. Basically have hosed around for an hour here or there, promising myself I would really get into it and learn it this time, only to get sucked away by another League of Legends marathon.

So I have played vanilla EU4 in the same way (a few hours here and there, never really grokking it or understanding it). I have next to no experience with the DLC (though I have picked up all but the most recent in the various 75% off sales, and will probably grab the last one as I intend on giving it another good run).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I would say turn off all the DLC for your first games and gradually introduce them. They're amazing for players that know the game, but if you're just starting out they'll probably only be confusing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Koramei posted:

I would say turn off all the DLC for your first games and gradually introduce them. They're amazing for players that know the game, but if you're just starting out they'll probably only be confusing.

What? this is awful advice. Each one of them changes large portions of the game that you will have to re-learn each time you add one in. Just learn it all at once.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Er which ones do that exactly? The patches have all the gamechanging things, the DLC just adds lots of extra confusing buttons that new players don't really have to worry about anyway. The only exception I can think of is the Cossacks but he said he didn't even have that anyway.

e: other advice if you're not the type to get reliant on them: cheat. pick a small power and use console commands. throw yourself into coalition wars and massive overextension, see what the disasters do

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Koramei posted:

Er which ones do that exactly? The patches have all the gamechanging things, the DLC just adds lots of extra confusing buttons that new players don't really have to worry about anyway. The only exception I can think of is the Cossacks but he said he didn't even have that anyway.

For some reason I thought the AoW changes were mostly paid but turns out mostly they are free.

Either way, I don't really see the reason to play with them off

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Because the game has enough buttons to learn without them and most of the DLC features will just be confusing until you know what you're actually doing

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm with GreyPowerVan on this. It's hard to learn a complex game and then have to re-learn it through each DLC. And yes, there are things in the DLC that change gameplay (like, say, estates).

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The feeling of utter confusion and helplessness when first playing a new Paradox game is like the first high in a heroin addiction, and should not be denied to anyone. Load every DLC, man! Don't be a pussy bro hit that poo poo

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Load all the DLC, pick Portugal or Ottomans, play on slow so the semi truck rolls over you slightly more gently, and bask in

bees everywhere posted:

The feeling of utter confusion and helplessness when first playing a new Paradox game is like the first high in a heroin addiction, and should not be denied to anyone. Load every DLC, man! Don't be a pussy bro hit that poo poo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Load all the DLC, pick Portugal or Ottomans, play on slow so the semi truck rolls over you slightly more gently, and bask in

Portugal is the easy choice for a newbie. Build armies and boats, ally Spaniards, conquer Muslims and Americans. Unless things go seriously off the rails you can get by without ever risking Portugal itself even with the worst military disasters.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
It seems like the Oligarchic Republic you can transition to by decision maybe shouldn't make the burgers/guilds require 20% of your development. That was a surprise. I would have expected a bumped percentage for the Nobles.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh, cool, provinces are randomly granted to estates in custom nations. Who's bright idea was that?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Having to manually set them yourself every single game would be a colossal pain a lot of the time. I think they ought to let you revoke and reassign the preset provinces without taking a loyalty hit though.

Colonial Air Force posted:

And yes, there are things in the DLC that change gameplay (like, say, estates).

and the diplomatic change, and maybe transfer occupation, and ...

I looked down the wiki list and I really don't think there's anything else that changes things fundamentally. Funny as it is to throw someone into the thick of it, people getting overwhelmed by Paradox games is a pretty chronic problem and I think this is one of the easier ways to alleviate that.

In fact even beyond the DLC, there is tons of stuff in this game you really don't need to worry about for a while if you start safe inside Europe. Trade in particular. Just ignore that whole system until you get a handle on things like alliances, overextension, and aggressive expansion.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

Portugal is the easy choice for a newbie. Build armies and boats, ally Spaniards, conquer Muslims and Americans. Unless things go seriously off the rails you can get by without ever risking Portugal itself even with the worst military disasters.

I agree with this. Portugal is probably my choice for best newbie nation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

Having to manually set them yourself every single game would be a colossal pain a lot of the time. I think they ought to let you revoke and reassign the preset provinces without taking a loyalty hit though.

That would be nice, yes. The really frustrating thing about estates right now is that when one of them gets a province for reasons beyond your control, like from conquest or day 1 assignments, the estate gets the influence from the province but none of the loyalty that you would get if you granted it to them. Meaning that if their influence gets too strong and you have to revoke it, you lose loyalty that you never gained in the past because gently caress you. I think the big problem is that loyalty is almost entirely determined by past actions, and not by your current status.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So I'm in a big war where Spain is against me. He is allied with the Papal State, who is not in the war. When I check I see that Spain will not join the war I declare against the Papal State, would he join automatically after the war? Or is this a way to snag the Papal State under his nose?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

cool and good posted:

I don't know when quality got army trad but I love it now. I don't even care if the crazy artillery ability policy was nerfed.

Yeah, that change made Quality quite a bit better. It's strongest weakness is still those naval ideas which make it less attractive to some of the major powers though.

bees everywhere posted:

The feeling of utter confusion and helplessness when first playing a new Paradox game is like the first high in a heroin addiction, and should not be denied to anyone.

:agreed:

And if there's any Paradox vets here who miss that feeling, go give Distant Worlds a whirl.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh cool here's another dumb thing about estates: non-overseas colonies are included for the purpose of calculating how much of your land they own, even though you can't grant colonies to estates. Got a COT colony with a great trade good that you really want to give to your merchant guild? Too bad, gently caress you!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I mean yeah, duh. I'd cycle through a bunch of RNWs to find a really neat one.

If I were you I'd add a great deal of custom nations as well, since I don't think any of the RNW tiles have that many interesting powers for you to contest, even with the High American empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sistergodiva posted:

So I'm in a big war where Spain is against me. He is allied with the Papal State, who is not in the war. When I check I see that Spain will not join the war I declare against the Papal State, would he join automatically after the war? Or is this a way to snag the Papal State under his nose?
If a nation refuses to join an ally in a war, the alliance breaks. I think AI nations always auto-send defensive calls to arms to their allies, so declaring war on the Papal State would lead to them sending a call to Spain, Spain refusing it, and the alliance ceasing to exist.

• Locked thread