Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superman, ew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Was...was there ever a time when Supergirl wasn't his cousin? :gonk:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's very weird that mermaid-loving plays such a huge part of Superman's history.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, that sure is a man who is super into his cousin. :downsrim:

redbackground posted:

It's very weird that mermaid-loving plays such a huge part of Superman's history.

And someone please post panels about this because it sounds hilarious. Love superdickery stuff.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm didn't realize Superman was still bound by the standards of Kryptonian jurisprudence.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Good to see there was no Mississippi on Krypton.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

The very first appearance of Supergirl she wasn't his cousin. The whole thing was Jimmy made a wish on a magical Indian staff that there would be a Supergirl with all of Superman's powers. Yadda yadda yadda he undoes the wish right before she dies of Kryptonite poisoning. People liked the character and they back with exactly the same design but with the whole cousin backstory.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Choco1980 posted:

We're talking about how we got into comics now?
The first comic I ever bought myself was some weird thing where there was a massacre in a burger bar in London and Captain Britain had to collect some detective from Wales or something to investigate, who then makes some crack to his partner about feeling rough because he flew in without a plane. I think that was the extent of Captain Britain's involvement, the rest of it was the detectives investigating a cult or something. I bought it to read on holiday and left it in the caravan - to this day I have no idea what it actually was.

While we're on the subject of comics from my youth, here's some panels from 2000AD where some guys try to break into Judge Dredd's apartment:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

90s Supergirl was some kind of hosed up goo monster fused with a human woman but also an angel I think.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

dordreff posted:

90s Supergirl was some kind of hosed up goo monster fused with a human woman but also an angel I think.

Linda Danvers was the best Supergirl

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

muscles like this? posted:

The very first appearance of Supergirl she wasn't his cousin. The whole thing was Jimmy made a wish on a magical Indian staff that there would be a Supergirl with all of Superman's powers. Yadda yadda yadda he undoes the wish right before she dies of Kryptonite poisoning. People liked the character and they back with exactly the same design but with the whole cousin backstory.

I,, uh, so, this was Jimmy denying that he was gay for superman right? Like "Oh man, my best friend is strong and awesome and I'd want to sleep with him if he was a girl. Totally"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gravity only affects 2/3 of her skirt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Still not the grossest relationship Super Girl ever had.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Duke Igthorn posted:

The skirt is from the planet Krypton.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I,, uh, so, this was Jimmy denying that he was gay for superman right? Like "Oh man, my best friend is strong and awesome and I'd want to sleep with him if he was a girl. Totally"

Actually she started going after Superman right away. Lois was the one who was super jealous.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Skwirl posted:

Still not the grossest relationship Super Girl ever had.

Comet says Hay

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Linda Danvers was the best Supergirl

Yeah but her origin story was super hosed up

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Duke Igthorn posted:

It looks like she's got her legs clamped down on the middle for just that reason.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

dordreff posted:

Yeah but her origin story was super hosed up

Agreed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dordreff posted:

Peter David had a story he wanted to tell that had nothing to do with Supergirl, so he did a find-and-replace on his script, and then afterwards other writers had to clean up his mess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His weird version of supergirl was still way better than the goo monster she was prior.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fatherdog posted:

Peter David had a story he wanted to tell that had nothing to do with Supergirl, so he did a find-and-replace on his script, and then afterwards other writers had to clean up his mess.

PAD wrote all 80 issues of that series so what are you talking about?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

You know, I just realized, Superman is kinda just jogging towards the duel. Isn't this guy faster than a speeding bullet?

I guess he wanted to see who'd win before he got there. Which looks like it's gonna be Lana if her thrust there hits.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Naw man Matrix PAD wrote the second half :pseudo:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

....pretty much exactly what I said I was talking about?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

...and then it gets even more hosed up, if I recall correctly.

That writer really wanted to bone his cousin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it better than the horse thing?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

fatherdog posted:

....pretty much exactly what I said I was talking about?

While still managing to be 100% wrong about how the behind-the-scenes there worked?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dordreff posted:

I had completely forgotten that at one point Supergirl had giant flaming wings. :psyduck:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Senior Woodchuck posted:

While still managing to be 100% wrong about how the behind-the-scenes there worked?

...No?

Peter David had a story about angels and god and poo poo he wanted to tell, so he shoehorned it into Supergirl resulting in a lot of confusing poo poo, and then when other writers had to clean up his mess there was a lot more confusing poo poo. That's pretty much exactly how it went.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

...and then it gets even more hosed up, if I recall correctly.

That writer really wanted to bone his cousin.

On my planet, it stands for Shelbyville.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
That's not at all how it went. Peter David got assigned Supergirl, thought the whole "she's a shape-shifting clone of Lana Lang from a pocket dimension where there were another Superboy and Supergirl who were friends with the Legion" was too complicated, so he went with "she's an angel" instead. He did that for 50 issues, then she was just Linda Danvers with Golden Age Superman's powers. 25 issues of that, then he reintroduced Kara Zor-El as part of a plan to rebrand the book as "Supergirls" (with Power Girl eventually coming in as well), but it got canceled, so he wrote both Kara and Linda out of the universe. Nobody ever really mentioned any of it again; the next Supergirl was Lois and Clark's daughter from the future, and she only lasted about a year before DC brought back Kara "for reals".

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

fatherdog posted:

...No?

Peter David had a story about angels and god and poo poo he wanted to tell, so he shoehorned it into Supergirl resulting in a lot of confusing poo poo, and then when other writers had to clean up his mess there was a lot more confusing poo poo. That's pretty much exactly how it went.

Except for the fact that no one else dealt with the Linda Danvers Supergirl other than David. And in fact, the Danvers character basically moved over to another one of Peter David's books in Fallen Angel once Supergirl ended.

What other writers are you talking about that dealt with Linda Danvers outside of the couple crossovers with books like Young Justice that appeared in the 80 issues that David wrote?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That's not at all how it went. Peter David got assigned Supergirl, thought the whole "she's a shape-shifting clone of Lana Lang from a pocket dimension where there were another Superboy and Supergirl who were friends with the Legion" was too complicated, so he went with "she's an angel" instead. He did that for 50 issues, then she was just Linda Danvers with Golden Age Superman's powers. 25 issues of that, then he reintroduced Kara Zor-El as part of a plan to rebrand the book as "Supergirls" (with Power Girl eventually coming in as well), but it got canceled, so he wrote both Kara and Linda out of the universe. Nobody ever really mentioned any of it again; the next Supergirl was Lois and Clark's daughter from the future, and she only lasted about a year before DC brought back Kara "for reals".

Poor Cir-El.
You had such potential that was never realised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fatherdog posted:

...No?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. No other writers had to deal with Linda Danvers after issue #80 and even then she rarely popped up in other comics. She showed up like one time in Superman Batman and that was it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nobody cares, nerds. Post funny panels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[New Avengers #24]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Saoshyant posted:

Nobody cares, nerds. Post funny panels.

Secret Wars #8 obv.