Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Sure, if you want to be deliberately obtuse about it. We're clearly talking about when you're either learning content or when you're running with people you don't know in party finder or duty finder content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would you save cooldowns for just in case someone fucks up when you could just... not gently caress up? Even if you do gently caress up, it's just a wipe. Get back in there and learn how to not gently caress up. In the long run, learning to use cooldowns regularly and predictably will help you a lot more than saving them for the worst case scenario.

You are adorably ignorant.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would you save cooldowns for just in case someone fucks up when you could just... not gently caress up? Even if you do gently caress up, it's just a wipe. Get back in there and learn how to not gently caress up. In the long run, learning to use cooldowns regularly and predictably will help you a lot more than saving them for the worst case scenario.

I think we're talking about different things - i'm not advocating actually saving cooldowns, i'm just saying that Living Dead is (by the important metrics) a pretty bad "Oh poo poo" ability. Unless you're working with a WHM with Benediction, Living Dead doesn't help you take less damage or require less healing in any way, making it pretty bad as an "emergency button" compared to hard DR.

If you're playing right, this isn't an important distinction, because Living Dead is very powerful with even a little bit of coordination, but it absolutely fails the panic button test compared to even something like pre-Equilibrium Holmgang.

Belzac posted:

I'm all for recovery and think it's the sign of a great group over a good group but recovery is about working with what you have and not planning on needing to recover. It's like saving LB3 on Thordad "just in case".

Are there really people who save LB3 for healing, rather than either Melee LB3 immediately or Tank LB3 at a specific timing? That seems so much worse than both other options.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 8, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So FFVI is coming to PC on Steam. Bad news is it's the version with "cleaned up" graphics that was put out for mobiles. Even the font looks terrible.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
those mobile "enhanced" versions look like absolute trash garbage

the character sprites look worse than prepackaged RPG Maker poo poo and the fonts are the most generic word processor fonts you can think of

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pews posted:

You are adorably ignorant.

Ignorant of what? lovely PF groups? I'm glad to be.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It still boggles my mind how they can make those games actively worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hivac posted:

those mobile "enhanced" versions look like absolute trash garbage

the character sprites look worse than prepackaged RPG Maker poo poo and the fonts are the most generic word processor fonts you can think of

It seriously looks exactly like RPG maker. I can't believe Square wouldn't completely shove that under a rug and try to pretend it never happened.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We are talking about the same company who put Tanaka in charge of FFXIV and saw no problem with that, right?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zaphod42 posted:

It seriously looks exactly like RPG maker. I can't believe Square wouldn't completely shove that under a rug and try to pretend it never happened.

Considering they made The After Years and that was pretty much RPG-Maker, the Final Fantasy game I'm not surprised that they still tweak their old games for mobile devices.

Of course the only good looking one, Record Keeper, stays on mobile :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Pews posted:

We are talking about the same company who put Tanaka in charge of FFXIV and saw no problem with that, right?

FFXI did make a shitload of money

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Is this really news? They've been actively loving with the old games and making them worse for a long time now. The problem is people keep buying them. Go back in time and stop yourself from buying FF3 remake.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hivac posted:

FFXI did make a shitload of money

They really like to minimize costs when making something too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why are people talking about a lovely FF6 port here?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Why are people talking about a lovely FF6 port here?

It's may come as a surprise to you, but people who play one Final Fantasy game are usually interested in multiple Final Fantasy games.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I mean this game is dead, might as well talk about something that isn't.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I wish they just did more stuff like FF Dimensions which at least had a flimsy excuse for the rpgmaker/lovely font thing (and it looks better in-game than in screenshots somehow) instead of actively ruining the old games.

Or did remakes as good as the FF4 one.

Basically literally anything but what they're doing now :cry:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

i'd like the ff4 remake more if it ran above 5 fps in combat

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Pews posted:

It's may come as a surprise to you, but people who play one Final Fantasy game are usually interested in multiple Final Fantasy games.

They would fit right in in the All Final Fantasy Games thread, perhaps.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd like the FF4 remake if I didn't hate it for adding nothing of value, changing things for no reason, and being poo poo. Wow great remake.

The actual only thing of value out of the whole remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpV6vCXxlN4

Go play the anniversary collection for a better treated port and don't get the remake.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm gonna buy the remake and also gift it to all my friends. i'm not even joking

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
A problem with the FF6 mobile version is that all of the character sprites are just the FF: Dimensions sprites with minor changes. Pure and complete laziness. All of their games that use that sprite style just base all their character sprites on the Dimensions ones.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Velthice posted:

i'm gonna buy the remake and also gift it to all my friends. i'm not even joking

Please no. Think of the children.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
belzac pm me your steam id, i wanna get you something for christmas

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Belzac posted:

I'd like the FF4 remake if I didn't hate it for adding nothing of value, changing things for no reason, and being poo poo. Wow great remake.

How To Difficulty:

make every single boss in the game counter twice for every attack you hit them with, and have the attacks do insane amounts of damage

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Get past the sprites and the game is the same FF6 that you grew up and loved. I agree the sprites are gross, but it didn't stop me from purchasing it for my phone that I would play on long flights. The additional espers (which includes Greg) and dungeons are a nice touch. Objectively, this makes the GBA version the best since it has the old sprites, but the occasional slowdown it gets is frustrating.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Of course the only good looking one, Record Keeper, stays on mobile :v:

Probably for the best given how much a freemium P2W grind that game becomes.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I wonder how hard to mod this version is. I might pick it up if I could get it for $6-ish and mod it to look like the original...

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I don't think I've loaded up steam in over a year. The last game I remember playing was Alien Shooter Vengeance.

Also you could already do that as almost anything made from the turn of the century can run SNES emulators or a GBA one if that's your thing. You don't have to fund SE's cheap ports and exploitative remakes if you don't want to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheRagamuffin posted:

I wonder how hard to mod this version is. I might pick it up if I could get it for $6-ish and mod it to look like the original...

Probably really loving hard? Like the only way you're gonna do that is by making versions of the old textures that are the size of the new textures and then replacing the new texture data in the data files with them.

Which is way easier said than done.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Ignorant of what? lovely PF groups? I'm glad to be.

Ignorant of the fact that living dead is a lovely oh poo poo button and generally requires benediction. It would be nice to have it work as an oh poo poo button like the paladin version. Assuming you don't need it for the fight and someone fucks up you can clutch save the pull. I don't know about you but if I am 8 mins into a fight I'd rather have the ability to save the attempt then be like "welp guys, lets wipe it and start over".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you were playing DRK the fight would be dead by 8 minutes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

If you were playing DRK the fight would be dead by 8 minutes.

lmbo

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
iOS 9.2 is out, with important security updates meaning you should update right the gently caress now if you intend to browse the web.

Also, Square Enix would like to remind you that the mobile authenticator does not work in iOS 9.2 and rather than fix it, they'd like you to not install the update. And not browse the web or connect to any online service.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
living dead is fine, holmgang is still the worst and i've seen way more wipes because the tank was "just reaching for the button" when they went down

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Velthice posted:

living dead is fine, holmgang is still the worst and i've seen way more wipes because the tank was "just reaching for the button" when they went down

That could happen with any of the three. However I'd rate them Pld > drk > war in terms of good invuln cool downs. DRK coming out on top only if it procs and your whm has benediction up or is ready to spam heal you.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

That could happen with any of the three. However I'd rate them Pld > drk > war in terms of good invuln cool downs. DRK coming out on top only if it procs and your whm has benediction up or is ready to spam heal you.

the only difference benediction vs no benediction makes is that your healer might have to press 2 buttons instead of 1 to heal you to full

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Niton posted:

Are there really people who save LB3 for healing, rather than either Melee LB3 immediately or Tank LB3 at a specific timing? That seems so much worse than both other options.

Yes because we didn't need the dps or the tank lb. Most of our farming was done on a laggy as gently caress saturday right after it came out and we were ice skating all over the loving place, so we had to use it a couple of times just to make sure we finished on a choppy run or two. If you don't actually need the dps LB it's nice to have a handy button in case stupid poo poo happens.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Holmgang is generally fine if your WAR doesn't hit it the minute they see something like the castbar for Holy Bladedance, especially when paired with things like Thrill, Equilibrium, and Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Holmgang is loving awesome. It's one of my favorite skills in the game. Using it on Ahk Morn as the OT so the healers could ignore me was great. That loving fight was fantastic and the music just really loving worked well.

It's also my favorite PVP ability.

• Locked thread